Cuba

Spoosner

Mentioned in a few threads, but I just booked flights so I've decided it deserves its own.

7 nights with the wife, April 22 - 29.  Our 5th Anniversary is the 25th.

Thinking 3 nights in Havana, then head to the beach (Varadera perhaps?) for a couple nights, and then something more interior for 2.  Not opposed to lengthening Havana and doing day trips to reduce to only 1 move.

My wife prefers the comfier side on the accomodation front, but is fine venturing away from that for a night or 2.  We like food, drink, dancing, exploring, etc.  Get stir crazy pretty quickly sitting on a beach or by the pool.

Anybody been?  Food recs? Did you hire a driver or just arrange a taxi whenever needed?  Book accommodations through Airbnb or direct with hotels?  Any lodging you really liked? Any trouble getting a visa?

You aren’t going to get comfort in Havana. Use ViaHero to book an itinerary that passes us govt specs. Follow it loosely but at least you are documented properly. 

Varadera is beautiful. I’d spend a couple of days there. Havana is great but be prepared for the poverty.   You can go anywhere in the city and you’re safe.  Like I said, viahero for meal reservations which will get you in to the best restaurants. They’re still cheap by US standards.  

Rent a vintage car for the experience.  It’s a fun thing to do.  Avoid the overhyped places like the bars where Hemingway drank.  They’re just a tourist trap. 

One thing about Cubans.  If you ask for help they will offer it freely.  If they come to you offering help they expect something in return.  

• Like 2

On 1/25/2020 at 4:57 PM, VABuckeye said:

You aren’t going to get comfort in Havana. Use ViaHero to book an itinerary that passes us govt specs. Follow it loosely but at least you are documented properly. 

I'm a bit surprised that they want $40/day just for an itinerary.  Is it more than that?  Do you ever interact with the local guide when you're there?

I went to Havana a few years back.

I wouldn’t do a tour, personally. You can give a few bucks to someone on the street and get the same quality. Tourism is their cash generator. We had a guy wait for us from 5 AM until we left our AirBNB at 9 AM on the off chance that we wanted a local guide for the day. On that line, AirBNBs are cheap and satisfy the travel requirements. We had a 3 bedroom on the water with a home cooked breakfast every morning by a Cuban grandmother for $185/nt. It included wifi, but you’ll find out that this doesn’t mean much as keeping a signal is impossible. You have to buy scratch-off cards to get an internet code for your phone, which are sold in hotels.

If you’re a foodie, you’re going to be disappointed. They serve the best Pina Colada you’ll ever have but some of the worst food too. Our only decent meal was at Paladar La Guarida, which you can make reservations for on their website. They don’t have a lot of seasoning imported due to the embargo. Cuban food in Miami is way better.

You can’t use ATMs or credit cards so have extra cash. If you run out, you’re screwed. I converted some money at the airport but everyone took USD. 

Taxis are plentiful and cheap. Parking is limited. I would hire a car to get around. We did a tour in a pink Cadillac that was cool.  

On 1/29/2020 at 10:53 AM, Spoosner said:

I'm a bit surprised that they want $40/day just for an itinerary.  Is it more than that?  Do you ever interact with the local guide when you're there?

It's a very detailed itinerary.  I think ours was 22 pages for 4 days.  After they find out your interests they reserve tables for lunches and dinners and if you like the nightlife they set you up for clubbing as well.  Plus a host of activities.  We chose which we wanted to do and skipped some but the meals we had were as good as you'l'l get in Havana.

Not a place I'd take kids.  Technically we aren't allowed to go to a place like Varadero Beach and hang out for a few days.  You can walk around Havana and take tours if that interests your kids.  As an American you aren't supposed to use government sponsored taxis, etc.   Be prepared for a lot of poverty in Cuba if you go.  The government squashes prosperity.

37 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Not a place I'd take kids.  Technically we aren't allowed to go to a place like Varadero Beach and hang out for a few days.  You can walk around Havana and take tours if that interests your kids.  As an American you aren't supposed to use government sponsored taxis, etc.   Be prepared for a lot of poverty in Cuba if you go.  The government squashes prosperity.

Echo this. I wouldn't take my kids there at that age. While I never felt unsafe, Havana as a whole is a very seedy place. There are feral animals all over and the city is very run down. The beaches aren't really beautiful like other Caribbean spots. Frankly, there's not much for them to do beyond seeing some really old cars and a generic city from the hills. 3 days/2 nights was just about perfect for me. I could have stretched 1 more day to see the cigar rolling out in the countryside, but meh. 

Edited by Spankytoes

• 1 year later...
On 1/30/2020 at 12:00 PM, Spankytoes said:

Echo this. I wouldn't take my kids there at that age. While I never felt unsafe, Havana as a whole is a very seedy place. There are feral animals all over and the city is very run down. The beaches aren't really beautiful like other Caribbean spots. Frankly, there's not much for them to do beyond seeing some really old cars and a generic city from the hills. 3 days/2 nights was just about perfect for me. I could have stretched 1 more day to see the cigar rolling out in the countryside, but meh. 

Did you check out Hemingway’s house, Finca Vigia? 

This is the sole purpose I want to visit to Cuba. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

• 4 weeks later...