Mike Pompeo is a fucking dunce

elfenix

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Pancho said:

he knows exactly what he’s doing and saying.  These people are fucking unAmerican.

Yeah, that answer makes it seem more like this is a strategy that the administration has discussed than some off the cuff ignorant trump bullshittery 

• 2 months later...

While the President is spending time waiting for his discharge papers, the world keeps on turning and there are events occurring elsewhere. As far as I can tell, Pompeo tells folks 'stop fighting' and then cashes the check for the arms we keep selling them which are then used to fire upon civilian areas. And then gets on a plane back home.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rumor is he's prepping for 2024 and is starting NOW. While McKew makes her point, there's a real "does this tweet make my butt look big?" vibe to it though....comes across a little too eager for the power. Lot of white maleness in this administration and Pompeo wouldn't change that one iota.

6 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This is gross. These are just his political appointee buddies he brought in as his enforcers and body men. 

He was so brazen with abusing the privileges of office, I can only imagine how bad it would be were he to win the Oval Office. He isn't Trump, but he's all ego and mean spirited to boot.

9 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Yes, he is using Department of State resources to soft launch his 2024 campaign. Even though he’s still SOS, he’s telling everyone how awesome he is as “just Mike.” 

Exactly. Remember his evasive "joke" regarding the transition? When not outright ignoring the press, that would be his method. Lies upon lies, whaddya gonna do about it daily flouting of the rule of law, and a lot of crony shuffling of funds, appointments, perks, and changes that reinforce the wealth and power of those who brought him into the circle. He was paid for by Koch and it would be a boys club of heavy hitters that have no problem using force by any means necessary. The little bit with Mary Louise Kelley of NPR was an example of how he relates to people and had she not been a seasoned interviewer, he would've gotten away with playing the martyr, gaslighting, and outright fabrication.

47 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Exactly. Remember his evasive "joke" regarding the transition? When not outright ignoring the press, that would be his method. Lies upon lies, whaddya gonna do about it daily flouting of the rule of law, and a lot of crony shuffling of funds, appointments, perks, and changes that reinforce the wealth and power of those who brought him into the circle. He was paid for by Koch and it would be a boys club of heavy hitters that have no problem using force by any means necessary. The little bit with Mary Louise Kelley of NPR was an example of how he relates to people and had she not been a seasoned interviewer, he would've gotten away with playing the martyr, gaslighting, and outright fabrication.

He’s pretty well known to have a volcanic temper. Staff are constantly trying to avoid situations where he loses it. No one with any familiarity at all believed his version of the Kelley story.

At the first of the year, we were discussing rumors that Pompeo is taking his shot at 2024--this was prior to the seditious events of January 6th and events which have, for the time being sidelined some other potential candidates--mainly Tedd Cruz and Josh Hawley. On the 6th, Pompeo was fourth in the line of succession to the President and very well placed should anything have gone awry. Despite the title of this thread, he's cagey and ambitious and making his play, leaving foreign policy landmines that will affect the Biden presidency.

Like many of you, I've been watching Pompeo for quite some time, along with Bill Barr. Since Barr resigned it's been a little harder to keep tabs on what he's doing behind the scenes so it's given me a little more time to scrutinize Pompeo. He's been a busy little guy. Making statement after statement on China and the US relationship, both from his official twitter account (which will be archived on his last day) and his personal twitter account, the main SoS web page, etc. But with the exodus from twitter, I'm going to be watching to see if he develops a Gab account. There is one already there, but it doesn't have the blue checkmark (which how Gab was able to copy that from Twitter w/o getting in trouble is interesting) so I don't know if it's really him or just a poser.

On the government Twitter account, Pompeo has been listing accomplishments of the State Department/Trump Administration. Not that unusual, although he's upped his production level considerably as he's laying his groundwork.

Interesting photo choice here:

As noted in the thread above, he's been a little sketch in his choice of both timing and location for his speeches--stumping for Trump in Wisconsin prior to the general election and in Georgia before the run off. Both violations of the Hatch Act, but he's been ignoring that for four years.

But some of what he is posting has some phrases that sound familiar:

America First (tweet with no comment just an image)

Our way of life (in reference to China being a threat to the US)

"Contrary to what you hear from globalists and other experts...." (again in reference to China)

Weird for me to read those lines, and then to see him reference putting a stop to anti-Semitism but maybe it is that relationship between the evangelical Christians and their idea of God promising the land (Israel) to the Jewish people and how it relates to the end of times. Pompeo has never been one to worry about mixing his religious beliefs with his job or US foreign policy in general.

He has fans on Gab; my screenshot clipped some of it off, but I don't think they'd have too much trouble switching allegiance from Trump to him if he plays his cards right.

image.thumb.png.8ce8018379fca9064ae8e3dafedf2a96.png

22 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

leaving foreign policy landmines that will affect the Biden presidency.

This should be a federal crime.  Actively making it harder for the next administration to run the country in an effective manner is against the interests of the people.  When it involves foreign policy, it should be treason.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

This should be a federal crime.  Actively making it harder for the next administration to run the country in an effective manner is against the interests of the people.  When it involves foreign policy, it should be treason.

I'm not well versed in foreign policy and could certainly stand to increase my understanding. From the little amount that I've gleaned from people who are, the way Pompeo has structured the relationship with China is too simplistic--that you cannot simply point at them and say "China bad, America First." It requires nuances and standing as the beacon of free democracy while recognizing they are an adversary.

America seems to be folding inwards and shunning other democracies that could be allies towards peace, but I'm also using events that led to two world wars as reference and so perhaps I am naive.

Pompeo’s worst Hatch Act violation was his video speech to the RNC from Jerusalem. From the plane to the camera, he did all that with State Department resources and forced basically his entire staff and a whole overseas Mission of civil servants, foreign service officers, and local staff to work for weeks for the RNC and Trump campaign. Then he said he “did it in his personal capacity” and everyone swallowed it because there was some worse thing that the Administration did. But nothing the Secretary does overseas is “personal.”

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I am not in any way defending Trump, Pompeo, or their views.  But this is over the top.  How would one even prove the above statement in a criminal court?

Trump is still President today.  The Secretary of State is still empowered to execute foreign policy as the current President sees fit.  The current administration doesn't have to stop until Biden is sworn in.  

It would be nice to shorten the timeline between elections and inauguration in an attempt to mitigate this problem...though it does seem like incoming administrations need as much time as possible to execute their transition plans.

It would be fun to see if the DOJ could go after Pompeo for Hatch Act violations.