Mike Pompeo is a fucking dunce

elfenix

2 hours ago, swraith said:

It would be nice to shorten the timeline between elections and inauguration in an attempt to mitigate this problem...though it does seem like incoming administrations need as much time as possible to execute their transition plans.

it can be done:

There is usually no set minimum or maximum amount of time set aside for the transition to take place, but often the incoming head of government will want two or three weeks to put affairs in order and determine who should get cabinet posts, which itself might require more time especially if recounts involving prospective frontbenchers are underway.[citation needed] Typically, the incoming head of government will spend two or three weeks as prime minister-designate before being formally sworn in as prime minister.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_minister-designate

I wonder if Mike will tweet this as a key accomplishment: all our closest, wealthiest, democratic Allies pity is and think we’re screwups. That’s how you build a 21st century coalition to manage a rising, aggressive China! 

https://www.politico.eu/article/1-in-3-europeans-say-us-cant-be-trusted-poll-donald-trump-joe-biden/

• Rage+1 1

One of the issues with Pompeo is that he appears to be courting or is supported by America First Policies, the 501(c)(4) nonprofit that was set up by:

Brad Parscale: (2020 campaign manager)

David Bossie: (2016 campaign manager)

Nick Ayers: (Pence's former chief of staff)

Marty Obst: (Pence's gubernatorial campaign manager)

Katrina Pierson (2020 Trump campaign manager)

Rick Gates: (left in 2017 after pleading guilty to conspiracy--ties to Manafort)

A who's who of people who are linked to dubious activities.

Because of their designation, they are not required to disclose their donors to the FEC but they have been linked to funding organizations that were at the insurrection on Jan.6th.

Their twitter account has either been scrubbed, or they acknowledge that the election was not fraudulent and turned to quietly reallocating their money towards other endeavors as Thanksgiving was their last tweet. That's suspect, as they were consistently tweeting multiple times a day since inception, ramping up to dozens of daily tweets during the SCOTUS nomination, etc. I suspect that once the behind the scenes stuff gets sorted, they will either reorganize and rebrand, or they will keep the name and support Pompeo.

He has tweeted this 18 times in January:

He is someone to watch closely, not the least for this:

Look at the beans in the chili!

• Rage+1 2

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oop

There’s some temptation here to delight in the schadenfreude, but it’s a mistake. It’s the CCP serving the Biden team a shit sandwich and a giant douche on day 1 to see what to expect. Forcing them to either go to bat for some seriously distasteful political rivals or to swallow the humiliation of a foreign competitor putting former American officials on a sanctions list. 

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

There’s some temptation here to delight in the schadenfreude, but it’s a mistake. It’s the CCP serving the Biden team a shit sandwich and a giant douche on day 1 to see what to expect. Forcing them to either go to bat for some seriously distasteful political rivals or to swallow the humiliation of a foreign competitor putting former American officials on a sanctions list. 

Yeah, that was a power move.

Makes me dislike Pompeo more because I believe some of his actions were for selfish reasons and not in the best interest of the US. Dishonorable.

7 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

To be fair, these are private citizens now. When the USA sanctions, we often do it to current foreign officials which sends a much stronger message. China has intentionally avoided doing that and is instead sanctioning people who were part of what was equivalent to an ousted regime.  No need for Biden to respond in kind. Let China have their retaliation against the individuals if it allows us to get back to a reasonable relationship.  Half these guys should probably be in jail for foreign corrupt practices anyway. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

To be fair, these are private citizens now. When the USA sanctions, we often do it to current foreign officials which sends a much stronger message. China has intentionally avoided doing that and is instead sanctioning people who were part of what was equivalent to an ousted regime.  No need for Biden to respond in kind. Let China have their retaliation against the individuals if it allows us to get back to a reasonable relationship.  Half these guys should probably be in jail for foreign corrupt practices anyway. 

So first of all, we sanction private citizens and former officials all of the time. And while it’s tempting to call it an “ousted” regime, it’s not— its a former administration that was democratically removed from office. And finally, the reasons for the sanctions matter: “violations of national sovereignty” after calling the persecution of Uighurs a genocide. In other words, for criticizing China. And that’s something that Biden and Co will want to do, and they will also leave office one day. China didn’t even offer the fig leaf of making up actual criminal activities deserving of punishment, just speech they didn’t Iike.

The message is clear— China will punish you if you say things they don’t like while conducting legitimate U.S. foreign policy. It’s not about financial punishment, they have a million ways to keep that from happening without sanctions. It’s about humiliating the United States, and Biden can’t just shrug and swallow it. 

Dont back into the same mental trap that “conservatives” did of siding with regimes like Russia and China  because they go after politicians you don’t like, even if this set is richly deserving of some sort of comeuppance. We need to do that ourselves and not outsource it to authoritarians.

Edited by 956 Worldwide

35 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

So first of all, we sanction private citizens and former officials all of the time. And while it’s tempting to call it an “ousted” regime, it’s not— its a former administration that was democratically removed from office. And finally, the reasons for the sanctions matter: “violations of national sovereignty” after calling the persecution of Uighurs a genocide. In other words, for criticizing China. And that’s something that Biden and Co will want to do, and they will also leave office one day. China didn’t even offer the fig leaf of making up actual criminal activities deserving of punishment, just speech they didn’t Iike.

The message is clear— China will punish you if you say things they don’t like while conducting legitimate U.S. foreign policy. It’s not about financial punishment, they have a million ways to keep that from happening without sanctions. It’s about humiliating the United States, and Biden can’t just shrug and swallow it. 

Dont back into the same mental trap that “conservatives” did of siding with regimes like Russia and China  because they go after politicians you don’t like, even if this set is richly deserving of some sort of comeuppance. We need to do that ourselves and not outsource it to authoritarians.

Of course we sanction citizens and former officials, but when we really want to send a message to a government, we sanction current officials. Instead, China and the rest of the non-Russian world treated the last 4 years as if that regime wasn't long for the world. They waited it out. 

And it is an ousted regime. Any regime that leaves power against their will is ousted.  The way in which they are ousted isn't all that relevant. The fact that Trump's foreign policy, if you can call it that, ran counter to nearly every other US administration (or regime) makes it an easy game for China and others to play.  When dealing with Trump, they were dealing with Trump and not the US because Trump was a 4 year blip in policy continuity. And that was always the problem with Trump. He completely abandoned continuity. No other modern President has done so even when they may have desired a different approach because the "word" of the US matters. Other countries are clearly ready to let us get a do over. We should take it. There is simply no point in defending Trump policies that ran counter to decades of US policy. 

And don't pretend for a second that this is about the Uighurs. Doing so is simply disingenuous. Its a trade war move. Pompeo gives less of a fuck about the Uighurs than China does.  If we want to make moves based on civil rights, and we should, we should not concern ourselves with sanctions against Pompeo in doing so.  Apply sanctions to them until they leave the Uighurs alone. They can keep the sanctions on Pompeo all they want.  

• Hook 'Em 4

No one is going to vote for the former Secretary of State.  He'll have been 4 years out of the limelight.

Cruz, Hawley and Cotton can keep making headlines in the Senate.   The news isn't going to rush to cover former SOS Pompeo or former-whatever Nikki Haley.

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No one is going to vote for the former Secretary of State.  He'll have been 4 years out of the limelight.

Cruz, Hawley and Cotton can keep making headlines in the Senate.   The news isn't going to rush to cover former SOS Pompeo or former-whatever Nikki Haley.

Don't underestimate this man. He doesn't have the 'it' factor, but he is dangerous.

• Hook 'Em 1

It was considered almost a done deal that he’d make a Senate run and I’m sure he wishes he had. But he really bet on Trump winning and that he’d position himself as the most visible attack dog for the next four years to inherit the MAGA throne. 

One to keep an eye on but he chose poorly. 

14 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I am proud of the regular citizens who serve in the State Department, the representatives of America around the globe, many work in anonymity--some in dangerous places, but geeze, Pompeo just gets on my nerves.

$76,000?!!

should have been no more that $760!

or even better.. a $0.00 paperless e-mail.

20 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It was considered almost a done deal that he’d make a Senate run and I’m sure he wishes he had. But he really bet on Trump winning and that he’d position himself as the most visible attack dog for the next four years to inherit the MAGA throne. 

I think we may luck out, as his strongest possible run would be the 2022 Governor race in Kansas.

Laura Kelly is awesome. 

On 1/20/2021 at 5:26 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

And while it’s tempting to call it an “ousted” regime, it’s not— its a former administration that was democratically removed from office.

Normally i would agree with this, but the dOTArd regime tried to actively and violently subvert their democratically elected successors and remain in power against the will of the voters. I think "ousted" is appropriate this time.

On 1/21/2021 at 11:21 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

LOL, how did we miss this. Trolling for heirs to donate to a future PAC.  Because when I think "American Dream", I think Macau gambling empires, Foreign Corrupt Practices violations, funding right-wing Super PACs, and playing kingmaker in Israeli politics.  

I think your first post above may have been Plan A. When Trump went all in on insurrection, Mike began distancing himself and listing his accomplishments because he wouldn't want that stink hanging on him. Being former military, CIA, traveling around the world under the auspices of SoS--things would've looked a little too cozy except for the absolute dumbest. So while he isn't out front of cameras like his would be competitors, he's got some cards he's holding. One is that he's continuing to tweet, little trial balloons to get people talking. The second is that in the wake of some corporations suspending $$, he's obviously going around whispering in people's ears to get some of that unspent cash, and third, he's likely to gain the support of the America First Policies group (mentioned above or a page ago) with which to get un-named donor dollars and other perhaps less tasteful contributions.

The scariest thing is his military and intelligence background. It's something Kendzior and Chalupa talk about in their podcast. Having the military on your side during a coup is most helpful in succeeding. How many loyalists were the administration able to plant in various CIA and other positions around the nation and the world during this time? If this election was free and fair, will it have been the last? I'm concerned that enough won't come out, that technology and propaganda will continue to hold sway, that the GOP will triple their efforts at the county, state, and national level to reduce representation, suppress votes, and change as much as they can to drive America towards an oligarchical fascist white evangelical patriarch nation.

We have slightly less than four years to stop it.

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

At almost the exact moment Blinken walked in the C Street lobby to introduce himself as SecState, Pompeo tweeted that he’s joining the Hudson Institute. Lulz, no one cares Mike. 

He had to line something up with the Feb 1 start date or he wouldn't have anything to tweet about.

Yeah, I get the impression that Mike had somebody still "on the inside" at State who leaked to him when Blinken was gonna arrive/make intros.  And Mike got all geeked up about capitalizing on the exact moment.  Then he tweets it and forgets to remember that maybe 9 Trumpers in the whole country know what the fuck the Hudson Institute is.  Poor sap. You might as well tell them you're playing midfielder for Bayern Munchen next season, Mike.  These people don't understand shit outside their narrow world. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I get the impression that Mike had somebody still "on the inside" at State who leaked to him when Blinken was gonna arrive/make intros.  And Mike got all geeked up about capitalizing on the exact moment.  Then he tweets it and forgets to remember that maybe 9 Trumpers in the whole country know what the fuck the Hudson Institute is.  Poor sap. You might as well tell them you're playing midfielder for Bayern Munchen next season, Mike.  These people don't understand shit outside their narrow world. 

He does strike me as smart enough to ensure he still as an info conduit from 'inside.' But he has breathed the rarified elite air too long and you nailed it exactly. Hell, I had to look it up because there is a Hudson Institute of Coaching and I thought maybe he was going to go get lessons on how not to be such a stiff.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

He definitely wanted to use the moment, but State advertised Blinken’s arrival and broadcast his remarks live on FB.  So no need for a mole.

No one but a few serious Trump nerds GAF about Hudson for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Asithappens said:

I may have posted this before in this very thread, but imo it bears repeating. 

This is all you need to know about Pompeo.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/05/767383696/opinion-did-secretary-pompeo-forget-his-west-point-pledge

He didn't 'forget' it; he admitted as such in a speech he gave at A&M where he discussed his time with the CIA. In reference to a question from a student,"We lied, we cheated, we stole..." I'm taking it out of context, but in a position of power, one can rationalize anything.

Excerpt from a much longer Q&A session:

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Rumor also has it that he was lined up for a book deal but the publisher got nervous because of him potentially being a candidate in 2024.

Pretty sure that's exactly what he's going to be.

Why would that make the publisher nervous?  If they can get past the fact his fans can’t read, I don’t see why a run for President should stop them.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/8/2021 at 10:23 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

Rumor also has it that he was lined up for a book deal but the publisher got nervous because of him potentially being a candidate in 2024.

Pretty sure that's exactly what he's going to be.

You would think the publishers would be wise by now to the grift play of writing a book and then selling them all to a PAC for gifting purposes.  Guaranteed sales and guaranteed money in the pocket of the author-scammer.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Stone is one of the strangest characters in this entire simulation.

I do not want to spend any time in a simulation where he's the norm.  Not one minute even, out of curiosity.