2020 Tampa Bay Rays

Capn81

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

that would be interesting and keep everyone engaged.  would you do it like draftkings and you have a budget for each day or would you still draft a team?

that's another interesting question.

when i wrote it, i was assuming the same draft setup, but maybe if we do daily budgeted lineups, the site could just run the league as they intended and it would make life easier.

also FTR i'd prefer not to do the DK style, even if it means essentially wasting my no.1 overall pick on a truncated season that's going to be completely unpredictable. i'd rather my own team, my own players, guys who nobody else can have. last year when I had guys like Ketel Marte that was a huge advantage/coup for me. i don't want every team in the league to be able to take advantage of guys like that just because the season in shorter. 

12 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

uhhhhh no.  no draft, no keeping draft slots.  thats asinine.

are you serious? we're going to redo the entire draft order now? fuck that. "oh hey, congrats on getting the no.1 pick Derka. oh btw we aren't going to do a draft this year so you can get fucked." yeah right. you're fucking high.

Edited by Goo Punch

if we do a traditional draft, then yeah, obviously we're keeping the order.  if we don't - like if we do a daily draft format - then that order is gonzo forever.

there are a bunch of fun quirks in daily baseball, and i've always wanted to get more into it.  this could solve that issue.  yes, it's not normal fantasy baseball.  nothing is normal this year.  we're about to witness a ~60 game baseball season.  the object is to make it as fun as possible for us.

with a shortened (i assume?) "spring" training scenario, injuries will be all over the place.  i think ever-changeable rosters could counteract that.

also there's no research that backs up high draft picks =/= high finishes.  in football there is, but not baseball.

On 6/14/2020 at 3:53 PM, henrygandorf said:

if we do a traditional draft, then yeah, obviously we're keeping the order.  if we don't - like if we do a daily draft format - then that order is gonzo forever.

there are a bunch of fun quirks in daily baseball, and i've always wanted to get more into it.  this could solve that issue.  yes, it's not normal fantasy baseball.  nothing is normal this year.  we're about to witness a ~60 game baseball season.  the object is to make it as fun as possible for us.

with a shortened (i assume?) "spring" training scenario, injuries will be all over the place.  i think ever-changeable rosters could counteract that.

also there's no research that backs up high draft picks =/= high finishes.  in football there is, but not baseball.

what he said.

On 6/14/2020 at 3:53 PM, henrygandorf said:

that may be correct, however:

1)2012 was the last time i got the first overall pick in this league, and I drafted Miggy and went wire to wire for the title. 

2)You know how I get down- trades. i can take Acuña or Yelich and turn them into 2 or 3 useful players with an early trade, which is something that i like to do when i get a very high pick. 

so even if there's no research that says it's an advantage, if still prefer to pick first overall every year if i had the choice, obviously. although this is probably the worst year to ever have the first overall pick with all of the unknowns out there- there's going to be crazy value in every round. i could see a ton of booms/busts during this truncated season. gonna be nuts. 

if we're going to do a daily thing then i'd prefer to do total points/stats as opposed to H2H. i think. i mean how long would our matchups be? one day? three days? we should try and flesh all of this out before the season starts.

@Fawesome will you help me tag everyone in the league so that we can get this discussion going? i'll tag a few who i can think of off top.

@henrygandorf

@NOMAAA

@BigOrange1

@Planet Houston

how we doing this y'all?

I think $50 makes the most sense. I am still fine doing our regular setup with half the games. The good news is the last weeks of the season will still be meaningful so we can go all the way to the end without worrying about bench time scrubs. 

I have little interest in draft kings but if thats the route yall want to take, I get it. 

I will put a poll up on the main ESPN site. 

• Like 1

some thoughts:

•how long will the regular season be?

•how many weeks for the playoffs?

•how many teams make the playoffs?

•what is the payout structure?

•is everyone still in? there are several league members who i haven't seen posting in a while 

some thoughts:
•how long will the regular season be?
•how many weeks for the playoffs?
•how many teams make the playoffs?
•what is the payout structure?
•is everyone still in? there are several league members who i haven't seen posting in a while 

With the shortened schedule, I think the only thing that makes sense is a full roto points standings league. Kind of like the EPL, top of the table wins it.

Espn doesn’t allow multiple opponents I don’t think; so if we did that option it would be 6-7 weeks of regular season. And a 4 team playoff for weeks 8 and 9.
  • Like 1