Family Heirlooms & Shit You Wont Ever Let Get Out Of Your Bloodline.

ROFL BOX

Cleaning out stuff @ my Mom's & cane across this.

I fondly & very vividly recall this on the wall @ my Grandparents house in the kitchen. Papa would wake us grandkids up with the smell of bacon & coffee.

& Such a SMALL kitchen that was - prob. 1,100² for the whole house & they raised 2 kids there. Dinky by today's standards & I would gladly live there if I could (however I would have to live in the Shreveport area, so that's actually a dealbreaker).

Access to hundreds to thousands of acres (SwepCo directly off the "bottom" side), a pond that always had fish, 6 stall barn, reasonable hunting potential... everything a man needs, really.

After breakfast where used that match case to strike off for a fire, he would hand my brother the .22 & a large box of shorties (he's15 months older, so... seniority for a 10 year old vs. 8 year me). Without even the slightest hint of "Be careful" spoken, we were off to pop turtles & then dig worms from his old porcelain bathtub with the plywood top... head down to the ⅓ acre pond & drown worms.

I have some other stuff to get pics of & will add those to the thread later.

Now show us yours & explain the provenance.b2a08258e274339ef7b6fd6481b6e198.jpg3a551577ace08ce4f9a6d385a54048de.jpge2daa162a2ac732c8bd4301c4190af5b.jpg0244ff4f12ac5b6cfc818c48bc46f046.jpgebb7899568136e6280950c9f63f5bce0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

My grandfather’s Fire Chief badges and pieces of the first ship that exploded during the Texas City Disaster.

Vinyl and concert shirts giving to me from my sister.

My dad’s Monsanto rings, watches, hardhats, etc.

My mom’s cast iron skillets and Magnalite pots.

• Like 1

My grandfather's Navy medals from WWII.

My wife's dad has 2 old grandfather clocks.  One that predates America.  1750s-ish and one that was made in the early 1800s.  The oldest one is English and the younger one is German I believe.  He's got another wall clock that his grandfather bought when he survived WWI. 

All three of these are just amazing to look at and to think about what they've seen. Laughs and tears, parties and fights, new babies and wakes and everything in between.

The oldest one just got repaired in the last year so it should be good to go for a while but they're just like old men.  They're grumpy and irascible and sometimes they decide to keep time and sometimes they say fuck off and chime at random times.   I love them. 

My wife has 4 siblings so I'm not sure who is going to get what but I haven't been shy about letting everyone know my affection for them and that is be more than willing to cut a bitch if I had to.

• Like 3

My grandfather's Navy medals from WWII.
My wife's dad has 2 old grandfather clocks.  One that predates America.  1750s-ish and one that was made in the early 1800s.  The oldest one is English and the younger one is German I believe.  He's got another wall clock that his grandfather bought when he survived WWI. 
All three of these are just amazing to look at and to think about what they've seen. Laughs and tears, parties and fights, new babies and wakes and everything in between.
The oldest one just got repaired in the last year so it should be good to go for a while but they're just like old men.  They're grumpy and irascible and sometimes they decide to keep time and sometimes they say fuck off and chime at random times.   I love them. 
My wife has 4 siblings so I'm not sure who is going to get what but I haven't been shy about letting everyone know my affection for them and that is be more than willing to cut a bitch if I had to.

Just inherited a grandfather clock myself that was brought back from Germany in the 60s. I have no idea how old it is and it’s not working right now. I have fond memories of my grandfather showing me how it worked when I was a kid. I need to find a place that restores them, but from reviews I read online most people who restore them are hit or miss.
  • Like 1

My grandfather's pocketwatch from a California streetcar company in the '30's.

My great grandfather's bible from when he was a kid.

several quilts and sewn heirlooms of my late mother-in-law's that would fetch beoucoup dollars

Military sabers worn in service by myself and my sons.

I will haunt the living fuck out of anyone who sells it down the line...

47 minutes ago, 1978horn said:

Just inherited a grandfather clock myself that was brought back from Germany in the 60s. I have no idea how old it is and it’s not working right now. I have fond memories of my grandfather showing me how it worked when I was a kid. I need to find a place that restores them, but from reviews I read online most people who restore them are hit or miss.

Are you in Austin?

• Like 2

My son will get my father’s flag from his coffin, all of his medals, and his wedding ring. The ring is like the ring in Pulp Fiction to me. It’s the one thing I have to know where it is. I wore it for many years before I got too fat for it to fit.

56630cdb542efc7921fa477ace491210.jpg

• Like 8

My son will get my father’s flag from his coffin, all of his medals, and his wedding ring. The ring is like the ring in Pulp Fiction to me. It’s the one thing I have to know where it is. I wore it for many years before I got too fat for it to fit.

56630cdb542efc7921fa477ace491210.jpg
I have not had this conversation with my brother, however when my stepmother passes I want 3 things:

- The flag that was draped on the coffin when Dad was interred @ Arlington National Cemetery.
- Dad's Scouter uniform.
- Judy's '64½ Mustang that she has owned for 56 years (straight 6).

There is a good possibility my brother would get their house if she were to pass while living there... don't really know what her intentions are.

*Something tells me neither me or my brother are in the running for the Mustang.

Continued poking around & in the bottom drawer, I discovered all of this in the bottom drawer.

It is 0143 as I am tapping this out - barely through 25% of the pics, all so far are centered around WWII, E.T.O. & mostly Paris-centric (my Mom's adoptive father was in the P.T.O. doing administrative work & was a "3-Up" Sergeant). The focus for most of these pics is a Captain & it is difficult to make out some of the faces (esp. when I am using my phone to snap quick reproductions).

There will be a LOT of consecutive pics; I only snapped quick shots of the ones that would probably be of interest to y'all. Some I have found in as much as quadruplicate, a decent % as duplicates. More than a couple are humorous (you'll see...).

Most posted without commentary & where there was notation written on the reverse, I am following that up immediately with the back of the pic.

One minor headache with TapaTalk is it wont let you put a space or gap in between a set of pics (front of pic, reverse... space... nect pic).

Also, I have ZERO idea who the subjects are, with one exception, name of "Cuberley" on a photo's backside caption. The Cuberley name is my family connection to the Civil War & my Grandmother's membership in the United Daughters of the Confederacy (which makes me immediately eligible for membership in the Sons of Confederate Veterans, something I willingly decline).

Nana did a LOT of genealogy work as part of her UDC activities & the Cuberly name was well known to us / didn't show up through recent research.

Now on to some photos.bd15df68da2baee671855bf2c96e511c.jpg

8 hours ago, 1978horn said:

Yes, south

I don't remember the name of the place my FIL used but it was off 38th in Austin.  They didn't do much wood restoration, just made sure it was more stabilized than anything.  It's gonna need a real craftsman to handle the woodwork if it ever comes to that.  But the clock mechanism was cleaned and tuned.  They actually sent the clock face out to a lady that handpainted the numbers and design because it was so faded.

I don't know much about clock repair but it looks like they did a good job.  

They picked it up and dropped it off.  Must be had it for 6 months of so. 

I'm definitely not going to vouch for them but I would give them a call. 

Edited by Post Oak

My grandfather’s AAU boxing gold medal from 1936 and his Remington Model 11 12 gauge. The model 11 is a Remington licensed copy of the Browning Auto 5. I’ve also got his silver pocket watch and a few other service awards from Texaco. 

My other grandparent’s Masonic and Eastern Star rings as well as some hand tools from that grandfather (he was a carpenter and owned an upholstery shop) and an old Colt Frontiersman .22 he kept in the glove compartment of his pickup. 

My mom has some old Antone’s posters from the ‘70s that I’ll inherit and some of my grandmothers jewelry. She also has two original Edward Curtis prints that are probably the most valuable things she owns that she’s promised to me. One is the portrait Of Sitting Bull that’s pretty well known, the other is called “Native warriors, I believe. It’s a group of mounted native warriors on a hillside, and it’s pretty amazing. At one point she had a fairly large collection, but she’s sold them off piecemeal as she’s needed money. She’s promised me these are mine, but we’ll see. That may just mean I get right of first refusal if she needs money. 

The herpes I got from South Austin’s mom. 

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Another one is a newspaper from Boston circa 1826. One of the sections is the notice for the day of mourning for Thomas Jefferson and John Adams who had died a month before.189c88884a03438e709819bc4934ba15.jpg9bfe6113b8d1cf4e936e2177f264ae4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Centinel seems like a penny pincher...

I have my step grandfather's Camillus (no, not Kabar) fighting knife and garrison hat Eagle, Globe, and Anchor from his service in the Pacific in WWII.  We also had several of his V-mail letters to and from his mother, along with his medals and citations, but my ex sister in law got ahold of them, and we cannot get anything from her.  Evil bitch.

• Like 2

I have no heirlooms but my dad has a lot which will eventually go to me. Most of it is Western antiques and firearms. He has a pair of Colt .45 pistols that belonged to his great grandfather from 1880 and another one that his grandfather owned from the 1920's. I've been eyeballing the Colt 45's my entire life as well as a Lefever 12 gauge from the 1890's and a Winchester lever action 1894.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I have Jacob de Cordova's hand written ledger of his land speculation contracts in my air conditioned gun safe. They occurred between 1845 and 1861. I have been torn between keeping it myself, or donating it to The Fort Worth Museum of Science and History. Other than that, I have my Dad's 1961 Browning Superposed with the round pommel, and my wedding ring, that has been in Mrs. CHIEF's family since it was made in Germany in 1803. We also have formal china, her great-great grandparents brought it over, by boat, in the 1880's.

CHIEF 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I don’t have anything currently, but my grandma called me last week and told me next time I’m in town to try and drive up (they live in Chicago) and to go through their house and take what I want before anyone else does.

I’m looking forward to spending a couple days with my grandparents going through a lot of things they have in boxes that have been hidden away in their crawl space for years. It’ll be cool going through it with them to hear their stories/memories of items.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TTU13 said:

I don’t have anything currently, but my grandma called me last week and told me next time I’m in town to try and drive up (they live in Chicago) and to go through their house and take what I want before anyone else does.

I’m looking forward to spending a couple days with my grandparents going through a lot of things they have in boxes that have been hidden away in their crawl space for years. It’ll be cool going through it with them to hear their stories/memories of items.

Rent a UHaul........ (not kidding) or else tape your name on the things you want.

11 hours ago, TTU13 said:

not even kidding, buy a digital recorder and record it. you will be happy to have it in the future...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Apparently, I'm the only one in the family that cares, so I have way too much stuff.

- Eastlake style bedroom set that my grandfather was born in and my great-grandfather was allegedly born and died in.  Great-grandparent's rocking chair and a huge mirror that hung in their house.  Boxes of photos and newspaper clippings.

- A metal, fish Christmas ornament which hung on my Grandfather's first Christmas tree in 1912.

- Belgium Browning A5s, one 20 gauge and one light 12, which were used by my father and uncle.  My father's Green Beret and other stuff from his enlisted days.  My father's coin and stamp collections.  His baby book with more pictures, etc.

Unfortunately, we don't have a place for the bedroom set.  My parents had it in their house for a while until kids were born, then it went back to my grandparent's house.  Same for my uncle and his wife and my wife and I.  We keep the chair in the living room, but have not hung the mirror.  I still use both shotguns and hang the Christmas ornament on the tree every year.  As for the boxes of photos and other stuff - I'm not sure what to do with it all.  I can't bring myself to get rid of any of it and no one else cares about it.  It will probably stay in boxes until I die and then my family will get rid of it. 

Edited by Jerry Callo

Lots of old and amazing guns and the black/white pics to go with them.  

One thing of note that I'm getting framed.  My great g-father hunted wolves on horseback in W. Texas.  Had a pack of walker/catahoula mix hounds.  I have some of the original collars with the mongrammed, brass insignia identifying the dogs owners.

G-mother used to tell me stories about how she helped make the "dog bread".  All the leftover scraps were baked into a corn meal mix (like a giant casserrole).  She'd break off chunks to feed the dogs.  Cattle have always been expensive, and many immigrant familes from europe raised sheep/goats; which they knew and gew up tending.  A buffet for wolves and coyotes.  G-mother even had a wolf pup for a time.  Den found.  Pups distributed.  Ran away of course, but still cool.

• Like 1

On my mom's side I have a pocket knife from 1901 that belonged to my great great grandpa when his family moved from Tennessee to current day Garza county. On my dad's side I have my great great great grandma's recipe book. It has definitely faded but copies have been made over the years that I've preserved and digitized. Her stuff still stands the test of time. Helped me win a few chili competitions during grad school!

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 11:20 PM, 1978horn said:

Yes, south

This isn't south, but McGuire's Clocks on Burnet.  I used them to get my Grandfather clock that I inherited from my Grandmother back in working order.  It's not as awesome as yours sound (mine was made in 1976), but it's awesome to me.  I spent hours sitting in front of it waiting for the chimes.

I used it for close to 10 years before it stopped working, and they diagnosed the problem immediately (the parts don't last forever) and gave me a quote.  Everything was very hands on--they showed me the parts that needed replacement and showed me the difference between new ones.  Overall a very good experience and they knew what they were talking about.  It was an expensive fix, and a sane person probably would have just bought a new one, but I told them the clock had sentimental value and I planned on keeping it in the family for generations.

• Like 2