Family Heirlooms & Shit You Wont Ever Let Get Out Of Your Bloodline.

ROFL BOX

My kids will get my fathers firearms from his youth. An old breakdown 22 that he taught me to shoot on and I will teach them. No real cash value, just sentimental. His old "Skybuster" 12 gauge too. His Navy uniform and dog tags, funny thing...we lot of items from his time in the Navy but you when you search on his dog tag #, nothing returns and his name is spelled incorrect on it, adds the myth that my dad may have also worked for a certain 3 letter agency. 

they will get my Bronco

thats it otherwise besides some stones that the wife will pass on

I have two daughters, so the Callo name stops with me.  My sister has a daughter.  With two daughters and a niece, none of which has any interest in hunting or guns, I'm not real sure if there will be anyone to pass firearms down to.  I'd like the A5s to continue to shoot birds as they are intended as opposed to sitting in a closet.  I guess we'll see.

18 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Lots of old and amazing guns and the black/white pics to go with them.  

One thing of note that I'm getting framed.  My great g-father hunted wolves on horseback in W. Texas.  Had a pack of walker/catahoula mix hounds.  I have some of the original collars with the mongrammed, brass insignia identifying the dogs owners.

G-mother used to tell me stories about how she helped make the "dog bread".  All the leftover scraps were baked into a corn meal mix (like a giant casserrole).  She'd break off chunks to feed the dogs.  Cattle have always been expensive, and many immigrant familes from europe raised sheep/goats; which they knew and gew up tending.  A buffet for wolves and coyotes.  G-mother even had a wolf pup for a time.  Den found.  Pups distributed.  Ran away of course, but still cool.

An old guy I knew near Benchley, TX would make "dog bread". Corn meal or flour that might have weevils in it plus whatever leftovers there were that needed to be discarded. Like you said, mix it all up and throw it in the oven. Dogs loved it. He lived on the same property that his family had homesteaded wayyy back, pre-Republic days. The flooring in the dining room was the original cedar flooring from when only a one room cabin stood there. Old Spanish Trail ran across the back of the property and he'd found some interesting old items over the years. 

• Like 3

Damn y'all got cool shit.

Like whoever said they're a nobody from a line of nobodies, I'm from a line of poor Tejanos, ain't shit to inherit. My abuela gave me a steak knife set in a wooden box (maybe 70s era) that I'll keep forever, because my grandmother didn't have shit to give really but she was getting up there in years and wanted to give me something I guess. Or wanted less shit in her kitchen, which is how I assume many old women give away shit.

22 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I've got way too much stuff to dig up and post right now.  A couple of my favorites are my maternal grandpa's dogtags from WWI (123rd Illinois Field Artillery), and his Model 1911 (along with some old knives, not all of which were his).

this is him in uniform

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

His son (my Uncle's) Colt .38 police positive that he carried in WWII, he was a paratrooper in the Pacific.

spacer.png

I have assorted uniforms, letters, pics etc. from other relatives in WWII.

Pretty close to the same here.  Dad has his Uncle's Army issue Colt 1911 that he carried with him onto Omaha Beach on June 6, 1944, as well as that same Army issue holster that is stamped 1917, but this one is brown rather than black.  That will never leave our family.  

• Like 1

After my Mom's last ICU visit (COPD is a bitch) she couldn't do much but color. So, for her last 30 days she colored some butterflies and finished the day hospice showed up.  This Christmas, my Dad gave it to my 2 month old son.  That will never go anywhere and will probably do some kind of preservation method for it.  

• Like 3

I dug this out of a drawer to take a picture of it and then forgot to take it apart to show the coolest thing about it - it's a cigarette lighter. It's a 50 caliber round that was modified. The case comes apart and there's a little round cigarette lighter in the bottom half. Anyway, probably a million GI's came home with one just like it but I've always thought it was pretty damn cool. The embellishment on the case is I think a heart with a torch flame. Bad eyes. 

DSC_4301_00001.jpg

• Like 1

I kept some of my Gpas tools, things that reminded me of our time spent in the garage building time machines and shit like that (in my mind, anyways)

My dad has the very first topps football card set ever made that he had as a kid.  It's worth quite a bit, except he wrote the player stats on the cards for his own keeping.......kinda drops the value.  Still valuable to me however because he kept them all these years.

On 1/25/2020 at 10:05 PM, 1978horn said:

Just inherited a grandfather clock myself that was brought back from Germany in the 60s. I have no idea how old it is and it’s not working right now. I have fond memories of my grandfather showing me how it worked when I was a kid. I need to find a place that restores them, but from reviews I read online most people who restore them are hit or miss.

I can't say anything to their grandfather clock restoration but they have been great with my watches. It is in Avery Ranch in far NW Austin.

https://timemastersaustin.com/

My Great Grandfather was a doctor in Kenedy, TX. He kept a record of births that he performed from 1881 to the mid 1930’s. My mom tells stories of riding with him around the county in his horse and buggy. If you have a relative born in or around Kenedy during this time frame, there is a good chance that their name is in this book.

195b386419c69b4911bdce3038890253.jpg

b8ae0d4b6d613ed65397bae8f900cc2b.jpg

• Like 6

Rifle from my grandpa on my moms side

The flag from my grandpas funeral served in Iwo Jima. The letters he wrote my grandma from there.

It sounds morbid but I also will have my dads flag. He is still alive and doing well but he served in Vietnam and that is all we will have from his service. When he landed back in the states in San Francisco, the protests were so bad he went into a Macy’s bought a suit and left all of his Army gear and duffle in a dressing room. Nothing was returned.

• Like 2

I just spend most of the morning perusing rofl's photos of people I've got no connection to, and thinking, damn that's freaking cool.

Dad's 270 and m12 that were made the year before my parents married. I always wondered if he bought them before the marriage so he was sure he had good firearms but by the time I found the provenance it was too late to ask. The 308 that all of my siblings and I used to harvest our first deer, and some of us our first elk, it's cut down and abused, but I carried and used it for the 40th anniversary of my first hunt. I've got a bunch of school primers from my maternal grandfather that are pretty damn cool copies of classics, I think most are Shakespeare and have the names of people that used them in the early 1900's. My loving sister made copies of my grandparents photos on cd, and getting them out is something I need to do more often

On 1/30/2020 at 9:01 AM, BottleRocket said:

My Great Grandfather was a doctor in Kenedy, TX. He kept a record of births that he performed from 1881 to the mid 1930’s. My mom tells stories of riding with him around the county in his horse and buggy. If you have a relative born in or around Kenedy during this time frame, there is a good chance that their name is in this book.

195b386419c69b4911bdce3038890253.jpg

b8ae0d4b6d613ed65397bae8f900cc2b.jpg

now that is awesome.  I bet he saw Alotta Fagina

• Haha 1

Apparently we had some mob ties back in the day. My dad has some firearms that you can close your hand and no one can see...one fires multiple rounds...another is a single shot. Apparently they were slipped in socks/boots.

Military items from my dad, wife’s dad and grandfathers.

Old coins etc.

And the 50th anniversary Corvette convertible.

On 1/25/2020 at 8:42 PM, Deej said:

My Belgium Browning 20 gauge A5 shotgun.

My dad’s Winchester Model 12 with a serial number indicating it was made the first month they came out in 12 ga. He bought the gun and 6 boxes of shells from his boss’ widow for $25 which means he basically got the gun for free from a grieving widow (ammo was comparatively expensive in the 1950s) 

On 1/26/2020 at 7:58 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

I have my step grandfather's Camillus (no, not Kabar) fighting knife and garrison hat Eagle, Globe, and Anchor from his service in the Pacific in WWII.  We also had several of his V-mail letters to and from his mother, along with his medals and citations, but my ex sister in law got ahold of them, and we cannot get anything from her.  Evil bitch.

My wife’s grandmother had inherited a document signed by Sam Houston, and when she died, it went to my wife’s mother. Grandma’s sister said she’d love to see it the next time my MIL visited.

Its a trap! /gif

My MIL complied, but my wife’s evil great-aunt refused to give it back to my MIL after she got her fat, grubby fingers on it. She claimed that as the next oldest daughter, she had rights to it regardless of the fact that it was willed to her sister (my wife’s grandmother).

I guess she thought she was being magnanimous by not confiscating everything inherited by her deceased older sister. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My wife’s grandmother had inherited a document signed by Sam Houston, and when she died, it went to my wife’s mother. Grandma’s sister said she’d love to see it the next time my MIL visited.

Its a trap! /gif

My MIL complied, but my wife’s evil great-aunt refused to give it back to my MIL after she got her fat, grubby fingers on it. She claimed that as the next oldest daughter, she had rights to it regardless of the fact that it was willed to her sister (my wife’s grandmother).

I guess she thought she was being magnanimous by not confiscating everything inherited by her deceased older sister. 

I will never understand people who do things like that.

7 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My dad’s Winchester Model 12 with a serial number indicating it was made the first month they came out in 12 ga. He bought the gun and 6 boxes of shells from his boss’ widow for $25 which means he basically got the gun for free from a grieving widow (ammo was comparatively expensive in the 1950s) 

I have my grandpa's Model 12 16 gauge from the 1920s, need to get a pic of it.  Also have his fly rod and old shakespeare skeleton reel.spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Great uncle's WWII hat and medic bag, his old wood radio that I need to restore, along with a couple 1950s Houston Post copies, some mail from him in WWII, and a cool knot book.  Have tons of old books.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Some Jap tools and other stuff he brought back, and some medals and decorations.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

8 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I hope you have a butler to keep that polished. 

Screw that, it's packed away.  I did find time this weekend to disassemble, clean and re-wire these 2 old late 1940s/early 1950s lamps that were from my grandparents house.  My wife will probably take 6 months to figure out what new shades to put on them.

spacer.png

• 3 years later...

This was a great topic to resurrect. We just cleaned out my late in-laws house, in Cedar Park, last weekend and closed on the sale yesterday. There were 50 years of shit packed in there. Both of them were pack rats. My SIL is one, as well, and pretty much felt entitled to everything. We nearly filled a pickup, she filled two pickups and a 20' cattle trailer. She was going to take the new washer and dryer, but Mrs. CHIEF let her know that she bought them for her mother with her own money, so they were off limits, as well as a beautiful antique china cabinet that my wife snagged for our niece. 

I kept hearing Mrs. CHIEF yelling, "FUCK." I went to see what the problem was. Apparently there is this feature on Google where you take a picture of something you have, it searches the internets for it, and tells you what it is worth. So there was a bunch of shit that was worth not throwing away. There was one bowl that was worth $1250, some cherry blossom depression glass, some high dollar figurines. Shit that she can sell for a lot of money is what we brought home, as we helped her sister load the Walmart entertainment center with broken shelves for the 3 1/2 hour drive back to Tyler.

Of course, the SIL starts asking about shit she cannot find.

SIL: Where is the Waterford Crystal punch bowl set?

Mrs. CHIEF: Don't know. (Its been at our house for 15 years)

SIL: Where are granddaddy's chaps?

Mrs. CHIEF:Don't know. (Been at our house for 10 years)

SIL: Where is granddaddy's accordion?

Mrs. CHIEF: Don't know (been in my gun safe for 5 years)

Thats just the tip of the iceberg.

CHIEF 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2023 at 6:44 PM, CHIEF said:

My SIL is one, as well, and pretty much felt entitled to everything. We nearly filled a pickup, she filled two pickups and a 20' cattle trailer. She was going to take the new washer and dryer, but Mrs. CHIEF let her know that she bought them for her mother with her own money, so they were off limits, as well as a beautiful antique china cabinet that my wife snagged for our niece. 

My Mom was the sole caretaker for her parents for the better part of two decades. Traveling back and forth to her hometown every weekend and after my grandfather died, an additional couple of evenings per week after work because my grandmother was wheelchair-bound since contracting polio in the 40s. 

When my grandmother died my Aunt drove in from East Texas towing her horse trailer and waltzed away with everything that wasn't bolted down. Greedy people suck.

Edited by Saint Tacky
  • Hook 'Em 4

My father's Rolex. Nothing fancy, and it still works great. He bought it in 1967 when an advisor in Vietnam. Inscribed 1967. SFC (Name). 

A painting my mother and me bought together in Catacamas Honduras in 1984. Artist is Garay. Love it. Has hung in every place I have ever lived in. 

Have another painting from Bosnia I want to donate in her name now that she passed. I want to give it to the Bosnian Embassy in DC. Just afraid some asshole will snag it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Horn_Spanker said:

I've been thinking it time to start distributing this stuff to the younger generations.  I see estate sales full of heirlooms that never got handed down.  

Problem is how do I even it out?  Dollar value?  I'm sure someone will get butt-hurt.

Only thing I have collected is art. A few months ago I went to all the paintings and wrote on a small sticker on the back of the frame the initials of each kid who gets it. Got no one else to hand stuff off to. Art and books. 

• Hook 'Em 1