SNL- Adam Driver

Go Pokes

55 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

melissa villasenor might be the worst cast member in the history of SNL

Randy Quaid says hold my beer.

This was an excellent episode. Adam is a great host. Undercover Boss, Medieval Times and Ketchup were seriously funny. Cheer bit wasn't bad. Halsey was hot af.

Edited by RPM

10 hours ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

Yeah, I want to like her because she's a good standup comic.  And she's one of my peeps, the first full Latina cast member to be on rep status.  But she's just falling flat so much of the time.  With so many talented female cast members nowadays, she's fading fast.  

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

Hardest laughs were Science Room.  Holy shit.  Off to bed to dream of that singer’s ass.  

Science Room was awesome.  "No, my sister says the girl never comes."  

And Halsey's ass is amazing.  Also, could not be more obvious that Halsey has a "No chick dancer with a smaller ass than me" rule.

NTTAWWT

11 hours ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

Leslie was easily the worst. She was unable to get through just about all of her skits without flubbing multiple lines or breaking character and played the same angry, loud overbearing role over and over and over. Good comic but should have never been added to the cast. Melissa is a good celebrity impressionist and does well with the skits that call for that skill but is flat in most of the others.

• Like 2

On the topic of SNL's worst-ever players:

Leslie was pretty bad, but Tim Meadows and Pete Davidson have to be in the discussion, too. Also, that goofy dude with the dark eye sockets from a few years back. Can't even remember his name, but he didn't seem to bring anything to the table, wasn't used much, and didn't last long.

Finally, Colin Quinn deserves mention because he was undoubtedly the worst Weekend Update anchor. Funny guy in other contexts (standup and Remote Control!), but he became tongue tied on Update and stammered through his lines half the time and was nigh unintelligible the other half.

10 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Leslie was pretty bad, but Tim Meadows and Pete Davidson have to be in the discussion, too.

What the fuck?  Meadows was fucking great.

The worst were Jay Mohr and that Goat Boy dude.  Those were dark days for SNL.  

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

What the fuck?  Meadows was fucking great.

The worst were Jay Mohr and that Goat Boy dude.  Those were dark days for SNL.  

Agree to disagree.

Meadows was terrible. Somehow lasted forever despite no range, no impressions, no musical or vocal talents, not being able to get through a skit with a straight face, and aside from The Ladies Man (which got worn out faster than It's Pat), didn't seem to contribute much of his own material.

Seems like a nice guy/cool dude, which I guess is how he lasted on the show for so long.

And thanks to @Surly Bevo for reminding me about Chris Kattan. Ugh.

I think Tim Meadows was more than serviceable.  I thought he did great OJ and Tiger Woods and was a good complimentary cast member, not really able to carry sketches on his own.  Pete Davidson is an anomaly, the Nic Cage of SNL.  He's either wildly more gifted than we realize, or he's even worse and the joke on us is the joke.  I dunno.  I don't know the dark eye sockets guy you're referring to, probably Tim Robinson from 6 years ago.  He was awful but he was only for two seasons.  I think to enter into the "worst cast member" debate, you need to be there 3+ years plus, having at least made full rep. status for 1+ seasons.  I like Leslie Jones is obviously on the short list for that.  

And for the record Colin Quinn was hilarious, impossible to even entertain him on the list of mentions for worst cast member.  Bite your tongue, Braff!  

I'd nominate for the short list (because Randy Quaid wasn't there long enough):  Ellen Cleghorne, Mark McKinnon, Gary Kroeger, Chris Kattan, Rob Schneider, Jason Sudeikis, and Horatio Sanz, with Leslie the early leader in the clubhouse.  

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

On the topic of SNL's worst-ever players:

Leslie was pretty bad, but Tim Meadows and Pete Davidson have to be in the discussion, too. Also, that goofy dude with the dark eye sockets from a few years back. Can't even remember his name, but he didn't seem to bring anything to the table, wasn't used much, and didn't last long.

Wait, are you sure that wasn't Pete Davidson?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Lobo said:

I think Tim Meadows was more than serviceable.  I thought he did great OJ and Tiger Woods and was a good complimentary cast member, not really able to carry sketches on his own.  Pete Davidson is an anomaly, the Nic Cage of SNL.  He's either wildly more gifted than we realize, or he's even worse and the joke on us is the joke.  I dunno.  I don't know the dark eye sockets guy you're referring to, probably Tim Robinson from 6 years ago.  He was awful but he was only for two seasons.  I think to enter into the "worst cast member" debate, you need to be there 3+ years plus, having at least made full rep. status for 1+ seasons.  I like Leslie Jones is obviously on the short list for that.  

And for the record Colin Quinn was hilarious, impossible to even entertain him on the list of mentions for worst cast member.  Bite your tongue, Braff!  

I'd nominate for the short list (because Randy Quaid wasn't there long enough):  Ellen Cleghorne, Mark McKinnon, Gary Kroeger, Chris Kattan, Rob Schneider, Jason Sudeikis, and Horatio Sanz, with Leslie the early leader in the clubhouse.  

Jason Sudeikis? Are you nuts? He was great on SNL. 

• Like 4

On 1/26/2020 at 1:10 PM, Surly Bevo said:

A few years old but some help in refreshing your memories on some of the suck

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-lists/saturday-night-live-all-145-cast-members-ranked-146340/107-chris-elliott-93559/

holy shit with this list.  there are legitimate stars in the 100s.  Norm is 139 out of 145?  80 spots behind something called beth cahill? and uh jane curtin? brooks wheelan?  denny dillon?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

holy shit with this list.

This.  That list is fucking garbage.  And without a doubt, the worst SNL player of all time is Melanie Hutsell from the early 90s.  In the eyes of young Tri, she was as funny as rectal cancer and just as welcome.  Just the sight of her made me want to throw the TV out the window.  She was God's answer to the question "Is it possible to be less funny than Victoria Jackson?"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

holy shit with this list.  there are legitimate stars in the 100s.  Norm is 139 out of 145?  80 spots behind something called beth cahill? and uh jane curtin? brooks wheelan?  denny dillon?

31 minutes ago, TriStone said:

And without a doubt, the worst SNL player of all time is Melanie Hutsell from the early 90s.

Image result for melanie hutsell saturday night live

Throw in Siobhan Fallon from that era, and you can understand why women wouldn't get another real shot until Tina Fey showed a decade later.

15 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Throw in Siobhan Fallon from that era, and you can understand why women wouldn't get another real shot until Tina Fey showed a decade later.

I don’t disagree with your take on the early 90s cast, but Molly Shannon and Ana Gasteyer were at least serviceable to funny and were on in 95 and 96 respectively (Fey started in 97 too for what it’s worth, even if she didn’t really appear on camera to speak of till 2000).

Edited by formermav43

16 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Didn’t even know her name, but she was by far the worst. What a bunch of dumb opinions otherwise. Tim Meadows? Seriously? He was overshadowed by some serious talent but he held his own. Melissa Villasenior is fine. They could use her better for sure, but she’s not “the worst” or even bad. I see she pissed the twitter bros off with “whitemalerage” which ironically supports the bit. I like her just fine.

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

There was like an 8 year period in the late 80s through mid 90s where Jan Hooks was really good and in tons of sketches, but about a dozen other every female cast members would come and go and all be just awful.   Hutsell, Cleghorne, and Laura Kightlinger were probably the worst of people I actually remember.  Janeane Garofalo was bad as part of that terrible 95 cast where the only good part of the entire season was Norm doing Weekend Update. There are others I don’t even remember enough to criticize, like the other two in the picture with Hutsell.

I also hated pretty much the entire cast except Hader and Sudeikis during the Kristen Wigg / Fred Armisen era before the current cast.

Having said that, I think Leslie Jones and Rob Schneider are probably the worst ones who ever achieved any kind of notoriety.   

You didn't like Bill Hader? 

11 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Horatio couldn't do much, but his one pitch was a pretty good fastball.  Every time he and Jimmy would be on a skit together they started dying laughing and it was contagious, imo. 

I think Che and Colin do great on weekend update

che and jost are amazing in weekend update, maybe the best since chevy, jane, and akroyd. also, forgot about tina and amy - they were also great.

i think they honestly don't know what's coming on the teleprompter, and set landmines for each other as part of the bit.

Edited by hayden_horn

Just now, BrickHorn said:

Is this a competition for 2nd Place?  Because Norm is the all time #1 Update host.

i will concede this point, but also say, i think they are all different and unique in their own way. but the current dynamic with these two cracks me up because sometimes they can't even read the joke off the teleprompter, and that fourth wall coming down cracks me up for some reason.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 11:39 PM, Lobo said:

Hardest laughs were Science Room.  Holy shit.  Off to bed to dream of that singer’s ass.  

Yeah Science Room might have been the funniest Non Eddie Murphy skit in ages.  Pretty much all of these skits hit pretty hard.  The opening was different, but really cool.  Fun take.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 1:12 PM, Mac8111 said:

Jesus, Halsey is hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And yeah, I don't remember her being that hot the last time she was on the show...but jesus.

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

che and jost are amazing in weekend update, maybe the best since chevy, jane, and akroyd. also, forgot about tina and amy - they were also great.

i think they honestly don't know what's coming on the teleprompter, and set landmines for each other as part of the bit.

55 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Norm’s Weekend Update has aged better than anything on SNL for me, even the classic skits.  I can watch those jokes on YouTube over and over again.  If anything, I’m surprised they didn’t fire him earlier.  He was 10 times more ruthless than anyone else on SNL before or since.

For me it's:

1 - Norm

2 - Collin & Michael

3 - Chevy

4 - Amy & Tina

None of the others really come close.

Science skit was fantastic.

Was reading a little bit about Monty Python's Flying Circus recently and they mentioned that the guys would write something funny but that they never worried about an ending. Once it stopped being funny, they would just stop the skit and move onto another, often with no ending or resolution at all.

This is what SNL misses out on so often. Sketches start strong but then linger on too long, waiting for a resolution that isn't necessary. The Adam Driver science room skit was great because it was short and to the point, with no real ending. Just a lot of jokes crammed into 3 minutes. Get in, get out.