RIP Black Mamba: Kobe Bryant dead in helicopter crash CONFIRMED

BigDHornfan

All the local news stations out here have preempted regular coverage and are covering this story.  Latest word = Kobe and daughter among the 5 dead along with another young player on the same team as Kobe's daughter plus that player's parent, and then of course the pilot.  One station said they are very familiar with the local copter pilot community because of all the news-related work they often do, and they have a good idea who the pilot was but can't release anything at present.  They also said that if the pilot was who they think it was, the dude was extremely well qualified and had the highest pilot certification possible.

• Like 2

I can’t imagine trying to pop over from the LAX-Santa Monica area over the mountains to Thousand Oaks in that weather.

Not clear from that radar, but it almost seems as if they were circling to wait for a break in visibility (or clearance to proceed), then dragging along the ridge to find a clearing. The whole thing seems foolhardy. Just a senseless tragedy.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

God damn. No fucking shit. At least in an airplane, you can trick yourself into believing that the pilot will glide you into a nice, Sully emergency landing if something goes wrong.

An old friend's dad was a navy pilot, later flew for a major carrier, and somehow found time to practice aviation law which involved him in many high profile crash cases.

The one piece of advice from him that sticks with me: never fly in a helicopter.

Stevie Ray Vaughn's death was all the convincing I needed.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Txzen said:

I can’t imagine trying to pop over from the LAX-Santa Monica area over the mountains to Thousand Oaks in that weather.

Not clear from that radar, but it almost seems as if they were circling to wait for a break in visibility (or clearance to proceed), then dragging along the ridge to find a clearing. The whole thing seems foolhardy. Just a senseless tragedy.  

Heard one report a while back which indicated the pilot may have actually been trying to turn around.

14 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

An old friend's dad was a navy pilot, later flew for a major carrier, and somehow found time to practice aviation law which involved him in many high profile crash cases.

The one piece of advice from him that sticks with me: never fly in a helicopter.

Stevie Ray Vaughn's death was all the convincing I needed.

Fucking this 

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

TMZ:

12:35 PM PT -- Kobe's daughter Gianna Maria -- aka GiGi -- was also on board the helicopter and died in the crash ... reps for Kobe tell TMZ Sports. She was 13.

We're told they were on their way to the Mamba Academy for a basketball practice when the crash occurred. The Academy is in nearby Thousand Oaks.

No, no, no, no......

1327385822336.gif

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

God damn that sucks, what is a horrible way to go.  You could not pay me enough money to get in a helicopter.

I’ve done it a couple times.  Never again.  Also what’s VFR?  I’m not thinking clearly.  

edit:  visual vs instrument flight.  Got it 

Edited by ChiTownDoc

1 hour ago, whoopspat said:

Ok my totally amateur assessment of this it looks like they struggled circling and losing altitude in the middle of the flight, got it together and pressed on?

Very tragic. The age gets me. We essentially came up at the same time. 

5 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

If video is truly correct, i cant imagine the fear and terror they were going thru. Very sad day.

What video? The one where they circled in a holding pattern for 10 minutes then continued on? Hard to think it seemed like anything other than business as usual up to that point.

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Judging by the video of the flight path and the weather, did the pilot just fly into the side of the mountain without knowing it?

If u have 2 miles visibility and ur going super slow and taking ur time, there should be zero reason u should blindside into a mountain in a helicopter

airplane, sure, but not a helo

Edited by GreenspointTexas

5 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Ok my totally amateur assessment of this it looks like they struggled circling and losing altitude in the middle of the flight, got it together and pressed on?

Listening to the audio - they were on a hold at the Burbank area (that's the circling for 15min). They were cleared for '118 West' which they followed. I'm not clear if the plan was to go south and follow the 101 towards Thousand Oaks or not. But it looks like that's the way they were headed.

Edited by Txzen

2 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I think they were holding near Burbank waiting to land then for some reason said fuck it and went towards van nuys. But van nuys was also ifr and not really close to where they crashed. 

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

What video? The one where they circled in a holding pattern for 10 minutes then continued on? Hard to think it seemed like anything other than business as usual up to that point.

They were being held outside class C space waiting for transit instructions since they were special VFR. Special VFR for fixed wing means the pilot requests VFR even though weather conditions are below IFR minimums. 

Edit: I say fixed wing because I do not know anything about helicopters. 

Edited by Telegraph_it
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Txzen said:

Listening to the audio - they were on a hold at the Burbank area (that's the circling for 15min). They were cleared for '118 West' which they followed. I'm not clear if the plan was to go south and follow the 101 towards Thousand Oaks or not. But it looks like that's the way they were headed.

I’m a complete moron with flying anything but if it gets bad w a chopper unless you’re low on fuel how does one run into a mountain?  Just circle in place or lower to follow roads?