RIP Black Mamba: Kobe Bryant dead in helicopter crash CONFIRMED

BigDHornfan

11 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Ok my totally amateur assessment of this it looks like they struggled circling and losing altitude in the middle of the flight, got it together and pressed on?

Very tragic. The age gets me. We essentially came up at the same time. 

No. They were in a holding pattern waiting for traffic to clear coming into Burbank. They weren’t spiraling like the animation shows. 

6 minutes ago, Atticus said:

There are videos of the crash, they seemed to spin uncontrollably and fall to the floor.

Man, fuck that if that's how it happened. Having to look at your daughter knowing you are both seconds away from death. What an awful way to go.

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’m a complete moron with flying anything but if it gets bad w a chopper unless you’re low on fuel how does one run into a mountain?  Just circle in place or lower to follow roads?

If you get spatially disoriented, you don’t know up from down, left from right. 

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’m a complete moron with flying anything but if it gets bad w a chopper unless you’re low on fuel how does one run into a mountain?  Just circle in place or lower to follow roads?

I think that's whats they were trying to do, but somehow missed following the 101. The LA times reports an eyewitness saying the aircraft was 'sputtering' so perhaps there was an additional mechanical issue. For those not familiar with this area, it's actually quite mountainous, and both the 118 and 101 really thread a needle there.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Judging by the video of the flight path and the weather, did the pilot just fly into the side of the mountain without knowing it?

Possible. A few planes have done it but they're moving much faster. 

VASP, Flight 168

F/O: Can you see there are some hills in front?
CAPT: What? There's what?
F/O: Some hills,  isn't there?
  [Sound of impact]

Vnokovo Airlines, Flight 2801

8:22:07 F/O So. How are we going for altitude?
8:22:09 NAV Three hundred, five metres. Descending!
8:22:13 F/O That's about five metres, is it not?
8:22:17   Radio altimeter warning, duration 6 seconds.
8:22:22 CA Horizon!
8:22:23 F/O Mountains!!!

I was never a Lakers fan or a fan of Kobe but this is so very sad.  Kobe was a massive personality that was bigger than the game itself.  Just an incredible player to watch and easy to root against him if he wasn't on your team.  But going so young, and his daughter too is just a huge tragedy.  May they rest peace.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Atticus said:

There are videos of the crash, they seemed to spin uncontrollably and fall to the floor.

14 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Those videos are massively fake.....that's not what those hills and canyons look like out there.  That looks like a more touristy canyon (maybe even the Grand Canyon)

Yeah anything claiming to be video of the crash is likely bullshit.

LA Times had this from an eyewitness:

Eyewitness describes seeing the crash of helicopter

By Richard Winton

Eyewitness Scott Daehlin 61, was setting up sound at Church of the Canyon below crash site when he heard the helicopter overhead during a smoke break.

“Because of proximity to the ground I knew something was wrong. It hovering real low like they were searching to land. It was making a slow left turn. It about 9:44 am and then the impact happened. I heard a crunch. I don’t think it pancaked. I think it hit rotors first.”
Daehlin said

“I immediately called 911. It was 945 am.” Daehlin said in the thick fog the deputies and fire trucks initially drove past the crash site nestled on the hillsides west of Stokes Canyon. The church sites on the west side of Las Virgenes across from the hillside

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

And apparently Rick Fox WAS on that helicopter

As were all of Rick Fox’s daughters. 

Stassney Horn cried for days, if not weeks, after that. Greenspoint has a really thorough breakdown of the crash on his blog www.ipayothermentofuckmywife.biz. 

Edited by The People’s Elbow
  • Like 1

Just now, The People’s Elbow said:

As were all of Rick Fox’s daughters. 

Stassney Horn cried for days, if not weeks, after that. Greenspoint has a really thorough breakdown of the crash on his blog www.imaworthlessfaget.biz. 

but not Derek Fisher

My background is on the ocean where most vessels have radar on regardless of visibility, not to mention GPS and pertinent charts. Obviously, charting is a little simpler at much slower speeds.

Aviation guys: is it difficult to switch to IFR equipment mid-flight? What exactly does special VFR mean? The pilot realizes it's borderline but continues with visual navigation anyway?

20 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Possible. A few planes have done it but they're moving much faster. 

VASP, Flight 168

F/O: Can you see there are some hills in front?
CAPT: What? There's what?
F/O: Some hills,  isn't there?
  [Sound of impact]

Vnokovo Airlines, Flight 2801

8:22:07 F/O So. How are we going for altitude?
8:22:09 NAV Three hundred, five metres. Descending!
8:22:13 F/O That's about five metres, is it not?
8:22:17   Radio altimeter warning, duration 6 seconds.
8:22:22 CA Horizon!
8:22:23 F/O Mountains!!!

Nightmare fuel.  In Russia Mountains fly you.