RIP Black Mamba: Kobe Bryant dead in helicopter crash CONFIRMED

BigDHornfan

7 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

MSNBC thing is silly.  Why the hell would she say LA "N-words"?

Sounded like Nakers to me. Most likely got tongue tied or isn't much of a sports fan.

She very clearly said "Nakers"   Just stuttered/misspoke.    Complete nothing of a story.

• Like 5

I heard the news on the radio a little while ago and it took me a few seconds to process what I just heard. Then they mentioned his daughter and that was a gut punch. It seemed like Kobe was with his daughter a lot, I just saw them together on TV at a Lakers game a few days ago. Damn, I was never a fan but this news was upsetting.

29 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Do you want them to shut the government down too? They didn’t stop football for the president being assassinated, I doubt they will stop down the US because a basketball player was killed.

To be fair, I repeat, "The fact that they are continuing to play this dumb ass pro bowl is amazing" every year on this day, regardless of world events.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:
11 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

We really going to fire people over a pretty obvious--though regrettable--tongue tie?

Wait, I already know the answer to that.

I listened to it several times and, at least to me, sounded like the other word pretty clearly which isn’t really a tongue tie with lakers.  If it were nakers, total other story.  

disclaimer  - my ears are ringing like a mofo from the ridiculous allergies.  

2 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

I listened to it several times and, at least to me, sounded like the other word pretty clearly which isn’t really a tongue tie with lakers.  If it were nakers, total other story.  

It's pareidolia... You hear what you wanna hear. In this case it's to "confirm" that she dropped the n-bomb. It's a sensitive time so people are going to jump to conclusions. I could see where it'd sound like the n bomb and nakers though. Just an unfortunate thing to happen 

Knickers would make more sense than Nakers.

That being said no way in hell was she saying the N bomb.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

It is sad anytime anyone's life is cut short.  It is even sadder when it is kids, as it appears there is in this situation.  That being said, it amazes me the level of "devastation" being expressed by people on this board considering that they were not close, personal friends or even acquaintances of those involved.  Hell, the level of hand wringing by the public is ridiculous.  It is sad and tragic, but life goes on.  

I'm not saying that this is how it should be (in fact, it definitely shouldn't), but let's face it: most of us spend more time with our TVs than we do with anyone not in our immediate family. We grow up on celebrities, musicians, and athletes. Anytime one dies too young and tragically, there's going to be some hand-wringing. Shit, Princess Diana dying caused like a full week of mourning, and that was before social media.

Plus, with how consistently negative news usually is, most of it--sadly--just goes in one ear and out the other. Fires, impeachment, war, etc., etc. It takes a name that we recognize to pick up our heads.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

It's pareidolia... You hear what you wanna hear. In this case it's to "confirm" that she dropped the n-bomb. It's a sensitive time so people are going to jump to conclusions. I could see where it'd sound like the n bomb and nakers though. Just an unfortunate thing to happen 

First, I had to look up pareidolia, asshole. :)  Second, listened to it again trying to hear nakers and can totally see how that can be heard too. Therefore, in unsurly-ish behavior, I retract my previous position. 

3 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Yep, he may have fucked up as a kid. 

I don't pretend to know what it would be like for every woman and most men be willing to fuck me at the drop of a hat and what that would do to your recognition of boundaries. 

However, it seems like whatever happened that night was not how he continued to live his life.  Seemed like a legit good dad and a smart dude that was persuing some cool shit after basketball. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I guess I'm wired differently, but it shouldn't take a celebrity passing to trigger that realization. Plenty of people die tragic deaths every day, plenty of kids. God help this country if Kanye and Kim go down in a fireball. The disruption will probably shave .5% off our GDP. 

This country might be a better place if the entire Kardashian plan were to 1. stop procreating and 2. disappear.  While I admire their ability to make money with little or no talent, they absolutely disgust me.

The agnostics and atheists here won’t appreciate it, but here is an article on his Catholic faith and how it helped him get past the rape accusation. And that seemed like a real apology unlike many we see these days. RIP.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.catholicnewsagency.com/amp/news/the-catholic-faith-of-kobe-bryant-77371

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

It is sad anytime anyone's life is cut short.  It is even sadder when it is kids, as it appears there is in this situation.  That being said, it amazes me the level of "devastation" being expressed by people on this board considering that they were not close, personal friends or even acquaintances of those involved.  Hell, the level of hand wringing by the public is ridiculous.  It is sad and tragic, but life goes on.  

Everyone deals with tragedy differently. For most celebrities I share your feelings and I can't explain why I feel the way I do this afternoon, but there are a few people, athletes, musicians, whomever, that make an indelible impact on our lives. Maybe it's an album that helped us through a particular hard time in our lives, or being able to take a timeout from reality for 3 hours and watch someone perform on the court or field. 

Maybe it's because even though Kobe was retired, he was only 41 years old and still in the prime of life and this is a stark reminder of our own mortality and the people and loved ones we would/will leave behind.

Prince hurt. Tom Petty hurt. Willie and Earl will hurt. 

Kobe's death should not bother me.  I hated Kobe as a player. Hard stop. I cheered against him as hard or harder than any person I've ever watched perform in person. I lost my voice booing him in game 5 in San Antonio before the first quarter was over, my bang sticks deflated and laying by my feet, popped during enthusiastic use during the pregame warmups and player announcements.

But here I sit, teary eyed, and I can't explain why this one has hit me so hard.

I was going to just reply and make a comment about you being a tough guy, but I bet there's someone you don't know that has made an impact on your life, maybe without you even knowing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HouTex said:

The agnostics and atheists here won’t appreciate it, but here is an article on his Catholic faith and how it helped him get past the rape accusation. And that seemed like a real apology unlike many we see these days. RIP.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.catholicnewsagency.com/amp/news/the-catholic-faith-of-kobe-bryant-77371

So Catholic faith helps one get past rape accusations?  Makes sense, I guess...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kobe-bryants-disturbing-rape-case-the-dna-evidence-the-accusers-story-and-the-half-confession

People and the news are acting like this a tragedy larger than Roberto Clemente dying on his way to a humanitarian mission. Any death is sad, but he was a rapist not a martyr. 

Yes, he’s 100% a rapist because that woman said so & her recollection of the events is the total truth.

• Like 6

Did you read the article? In his case, it did. Per the article, he insists the sex was consensual, but he acknowledges that the woman thinks otherwise. His faith helped him get through it.

Did you read the article? In his case, it did. Per the article, he insists the sex was consensual, but he acknowledges that the woman thinks otherwise. His faith helped him get through it.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, HouTex said:

For the pilots here, any chance (I guess there’s always a chance) that this was mechanical failure? I’ve gotta believe this was pilot error.

If you listen to the video I posted, it's pretty clear there was no mechanical failure. Pilot was too low and lost his way.