RIP Black Mamba: Kobe Bryant dead in helicopter crash CONFIRMED

BigDHornfan

3 minutes ago, HouTex said:

For the pilots here, any chance (I guess there’s always a chance) that this was mechanical failure? I’ve gotta believe this was pilot error.

Always a chance, but controlled flight into terrain due to continued visual flying in instrument conditions is a pretty common killer. Too early to tell anything, but thats likely the case again. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kobe-bryants-disturbing-rape-case-the-dna-evidence-the-accusers-story-and-the-half-confession

People and the news are acting like this a tragedy larger than Roberto Clemente dying on his way to a humanitarian mission. Any death is sad, but he was a rapist not a martyr. 

I’m glad you broached the subject of Kobe being a rapist. My sister was a professional   acquaintance of someone involved in the investigation of Kobe’s rape case  He told my sister before the verdict that Kobe better hope that there would not be a civil suit because there was all kinds of shit that would come out that was being suppressed in the criminal proceedings. What exactly, he didn’t say, but they settled the civil case. 

• Like 1

There’s also the fact everyone’s forgetting is the remaining victims that had me messed up. The baseball coach. His wife and daughter were confirmed dead.  They also have another son and daughter. Not confirmed if they were on the helo or if they are home right now with no mom dad or sister 

• Like 2

Yeah, this one bothers me.  Kobe was physically gifted, but he was also very cerebral and dedicated to his craft in a way that too many pro athletes aren't.  And his competitiveness was legendary; he was predatory.  He was born to play basketball like Michelangelo was born to create art.

I feel for his kids, losing a dad and a sister in the same day.  Damn.

RIP, Kobe.  

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I guess I'm wired differently, but it shouldn't take a celebrity passing to trigger that realization. Plenty of people die tragic deaths every day, plenty of kids. God help this country if Kanye and Kim go down in a fireball. The disruption will probably shave .5% off our GDP. 

Oh, I'm with you. Our mortality is always top of mind, which is why you won't see me belittling some "nobody's" demise in other threads.

We're all somebody to someone (even @futureman ... probably).

• Like 3

Just when I think I’m past the emotional part of this, a wave hits me.  Fucking A.

Can’t imagine what a lot of Kobestans are feeling about this. He was so transcendent that if he switched teams, his followers would do the same...like lebron.

I mean fuck..like many we cheered against him, but we know and followed him for 2.5 decades. Even off the court and retired from b-ball. Can’t believe it happened less than 24 hrs after lebron passed him.

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Can’t imagine what a lot of Kobestans are feeling about this. He was so transcendent that if he switched teams, his followers would do the same...like lebron.

I mean fuck..like many we cheered against him, but we know and followed him for 2.5 decades. Even off the court and retired from b-ball. Can’t believe it happened less than 24 hrs after lebron passed him.

The universe works in the most mysterious of ways. 

14 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Witness said he thought it landed rotor disc first...possible they hit power lines trying to stay under the ceiling?

The pilot was just lost. He was following the highway then started following a random road and then turned off of that road into the hills. 

Screen-Shot-2020-01-26-at-7-00-06-PM.jpg
Screen-Shot-2020-01-26-at-7-00-30-PM.jpg

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Always cheered against him as a staunch Jordan supporter.  That being said, I always respected his game and, after he retired, how he carried himself...a mentor to many on and off the court.  He really did transcend the game, not many can say that.  

1 minute ago, Pasken said:

The pilot was just lost. He was following the highway then started following a random road and then turned off of that road into the hills. 

That makes me sick. Once I listened to the ATC I figured this was the most likely scenario. 

Nothing can make a person understand what flying in IMC is like until you actually experience it. I consider myself very spatially oriented but your senses can 100% convince you that your flying straight or banking right when you are really doing the exact opposite. 

1 minute ago, Telegraph_it said:

That makes me sick. Once I listened to the ATC I figured this was the most likely scenario. 

Nothing can make a person understand what flying in IMC is like until you actually experience it. I consider myself very spatially oriented but your senses can 100% convince you that your flying straight or banking right when you are really doing the exact opposite. 

can you fill me in on the various acronyms again? i couldn't find the explanations from earlier, thanks. 

8 minutes ago, Pasken said:

I think this is exactly what happened. 

He was circling just outaide Burbank waiting to land because it was fucking soup this morning. Got tied of waiting, thought he was headed to van nuys and got thinking he was above the 101 but was in Malibu or topenga canyon. 

What I don't get is Kobe clearly isnt going to hire some bullshit pilot so when all the airports changed from vfr to ifr when that stuff bogged down how was his pilot not able to deal with that?

Odd to see Kobe damn near granted sainthood by the news wonks covering this. He was a hell of a ballplayer. No argument there. An on-court warrior. Perhaps less-than-stellar human off the court, at least with regard to the "Colorado Incident." One thing I will say is I always respected him for how he handled his playoff wars with Bruce Bowen, unlike bitch-ass Ray Allen.

But 41 with a bunch of teenage kids and wife is way too early to go.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, pops said:

He was circling just outaide Burbank waiting to land because it was fucking soup this morning. Got tied of waiting, thought he was headed to van nuys and got thinking he was above the 101 but was in Malibu or topenga canyon. 

What I don't get is Kobe clearly isnt going to hire some bullshit pilot so when all the airports changed from vfr to ifr when that stuff bogged down how was his pilot not able to deal with that?

He was actually correctly following Hwy 101 for a while but when it curved left and then curved back right, he kept left and ended up following a crossroad. 

2 minutes ago, pops said:

The other news chopper pilots wouldn't confirm his name, but did say whoever the pilot was, he had plenty of training/experience.  I'm guessing the pressure got to him?  At worst just find the road and literally land it right there.  Maybe that means you'll never fly Kobe again, but you're all alive. 

3 minutes ago, Pasken said:

He was actually correctly following Hwy 101 for a while but when it curved left and then curved back right, he kept left and ended up following a crossroad. 

I spent about 8 years of my career regularly traveling to Calabassas/Westlake/Agoura Hills/Russell Ranch etc etc area.   It had to be some really really shitty weather to confuse the 101 out there with one of those other roads.  Amazing it may have happened just like that.  Spatial disorientation is a scary SOB.  

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

I spent about 8 years of my career regularly traveling to Calabassas/Westlake/Agoura Hills/Russell Ranch etc etc area.   It had to be some really really shitty weather to confuse the 101 out there with one of those other roads.  Amazing it may have happened just like that.  Spatial disorientation is a scary SOB.  

I remember walking out this morning and thinking the fog was particularly thick. I can't imagine flying a helicopter in that, above the 101 through that mountain pass to Thousand Oaks.

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

can you fill me in on the various acronyms again? i couldn't find the explanations from earlier, thanks. 

VFR = Visual Flight Rules. Basically it means you navigate by being able to see and maintain a safe distance from terrain, other aircraft, and objects by sight. 

IFR = Instrument Flight Rules. Air Traffic Control is responsible for you. When you file a flight plane ATC approves and they makes sure you keep a safe distance from everything. The pilot must be IFR certified and the aircraft must have avionics that allow navigation by instruments only. There are set minimums for cloud ceiling and visibility that automatically classify an area as IFR or LIFR. 

Special VFR = For fixed wing, and maybe Helicopter, an IFR certified pilot can request VFR even though the area they are in or flying to is below minimums for VFR. From the ATC recording this appears to be the case for the helicopter Kobe was in. 

IMC = Instrument Meteorological Conditions. Basically means you should be flying IFR with ATC. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

ATC is Air Traffic Control.

IMC is Instrument Meteorological Conditions: basically when the weather is too shitty to be able to fly visually. When the weather is IMC, you fly via your instruments which tell you everything: altitude, heading, airspeed, etc.

24 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

I just gave my guys a brief on Spatial Disorientation and how easy it is for your body and senses to deceive you. There is such a thing as unrecognized spatial disorientation, where you think you know exactly what's going on and don't even recognize that you're losing altitude or in a spin because of what your body and senses are telling you. Reading about some of these cases or listening to the radio calls is scary shit sometimes

Edited by TheBryMan81
  • Like 3

RIP Black Mamba and all those that perished. There are several families that have been changed forever today. Kobe will dominate the news cycle, but those other families also have to deal with this along with basically being an asterisk in the story.

As far as Kobe’s life, for this generation of basketball players he was the guy that they all tried to emulate. I’m 41 and he’s the guy I watched for a large part of my sports viewing days once Jordan retired. Whatever happened in CO years ago was not good, but I don’t think it should define him today. He’s made a positive impact since then but his story can’t be told without that piece either.

I never got to watch him play live, and it’s one of my few sporting regrets. My brother-in-law and I got tickets to watch the Spurs play the Lakers in LA in 2013 and the game before we were to see him, he ruptured his achilles. Still had a great time, but I wanted to boo Kobe on his home court so bad. That being said, fuck the Lakers (it’s okay, Kobe would want me to say it).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I never got to watch him play live, and it’s one of my few sporting regrets. My brother-in-law and I got tickets to watch the Spurs play the Lakers in LA in 2013 and the game before we were to see him, he ruptured his achilles. Still had a great time, but I wanted to boo Kobe on his home court so bad. That being said, fuck the Lakers (it’s okay, Kobe would want me to say it).

Watched him play a few times in salt lake in the playoffs in the late 90s, early aughts. He and Phil and shaq Fu were so damn good. 

Sucks that Bryant and his daughter died but this was just as bad.   

Just as bad.

So terrible.

Orange Coast College baseball coach John Altobelli was among those who died in the crash, the college confirmed. As a mentor and coach for 27 years, he helped students earn scholarships to play at four-year colleges and treated players like family, the statement said.

“Coach Altobelli was a giant on our campus — a beloved teacher, coach, colleague and friend. This is a tremendous loss for our campus community,” OCC President Angelica Suarez said in a statement.

Altobelli’s wife, Keri Altobelli, and his 13-year-old daughter, Alyssa, who played on the club team with Bryant’s daughter, were also among the victims, according to his family.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-01-26/aircraft-slams-into-hillside-explodes-in-flames-near-calabasas

only saw Kobe once, in his rookie year, when Eddie Jones was the starter - vs. the Spurs.  I was impressed how big NBA players are as they ran out of the tunnel, i had a direct view deep down that tunnel as they emerged from the shadows heads bopping up and down..I remember Shaq and Elden Campbell.  Hard to believe KB wasn't a starter and was the 14th pick in the draft, traded for Vlade Divac.  Jerry West what instinct for talent.

found the box score --- https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199611130SAS.html 

had  6 in 6 mins.

4 hours ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

An old friend's dad was a navy pilot, later flew for a major carrier, and somehow found time to practice aviation law which involved him in many high profile crash cases.

The one piece of advice from him that sticks with me: never fly in a helicopter.

Stevie Ray Vaughn's death was all the convincing I needed.

A million moving pieces, constantly trying to rip itself apart. Don't get in a helicopter unless your life depends on it. 

We'll see what the NTSB report says before we fully settle on blaming the pilot. It's possible that he could have experienced mechanical failure at low altitude preventing him from being able to auto rotate somewhere safely. 

• Like 1