RIP Black Mamba: Kobe Bryant dead in helicopter crash CONFIRMED

BigDHornfan

anyone who is watching Jerry West on ESPN/ABC right now has zero questions about why this is such a big deal to so many people. West said, "today is one of the worst days of my life; the only thing i can compare it to is i had a brother die in Korea." he then went on to eloquently describe exactly why he cares so much (tl;dr- how much Kobe grew as a person). it needs to get posted here as soon as someone finds it. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Apparently two other kids weren’t on the copter.  Orphans now.  Ugh.

Balls. I hate being "that guy" making it about me, but my wife and I had our first less than a month ago, and this shit hits way harder than it used to. Losing a daughter...or leaving a child without a father/parent...fuck fuck fuck

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It reeks of Cuban grandstanding and I’m a huge Mavs fan. Cuban has always been crazy and a shitbird. 

Cuban's been out there for awhile but there always seems to be bit of senility kicking in.  In this case, Bryant was a great player. 

But he had nothing to do the Dallas Mavericks. 

Dear lord.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dad said:

We'll see what the NTSB report says before we fully settle on blaming the pilot. It's possible that he could have experienced mechanical failure at low altitude preventing him from being able to auto rotate somewhere safely. 

Yeah, but the odds are really good that it wasn't engine trouble. We have a whole lot of information, including airspeed, which did not increase before the crash as you would see with engine trouble. The NTSB report is highly likely to confirm the obvious.

The point is, I think the reason so many celebrities die in these kinds of crashes is that pilots get starstruck and do stupid things. A responsible pilot probably would not have taken off. 500 feet below a cloud, 1000 feet AGL in a congested area. Ceilings were 1100, don't take off. Granted, I'm not a rotary wing pilot, but I don't think it changes anything. 

METAR said 2SM visibility which only goes to show don't trust them too much. You can't really have mist (BR) and 2SM viz at the same time. LA is famous for being a dangerous place to fly. Mountain obscuration, CFIT, fog, etc. They really weren't in the vicinity of the Van Nuys airport anyway.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Have to agree.

He could've quietly set up a scholarship in Kobe's name instead of forcing his name into second rate headline tomorrow when this has fuckall to do with him or the Mavericks.

Cuban's all about forcing himself into things.  Thus he is what he is.

• Like 1

Still remember my mom sending me newspaper clippings from the Finals during the first title in 2000 when I couldn't watch because I was at summer camp. I'll always remember the jubilation of Kobe jumping up and down in Orlando when he won his 4th title (and 1st without Shaq) in 2009.

I'll admit my Laker fandom has waned since Kobe's prime, but damn I loved watching him play and rooting for his teams.

Had his #8 jersey, saw him play live at Dallas circa 2006. Kobe Bryant Courtside on N64 was my jam.

Kobe would still be my number 1 sports hero if not for VY.  And really enjoyed hearing him in interviews, such an interesting and thoughtful seeming person.  Pretty devastating watching all this today.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Like 2

Can we not just let Kobe rest in peace without bringing up his rape allegation?  For fucks sake, none of us know what happened that night and at the end of the day, the girl dropped the criminal charges.  Assuming you're not Jerseyman, we've all been in the same situation where some chick could have fabricated a story that was 100% untrue about what may or may not happened during any given drunken night.  Now is not the time to bring that up so give it a rest.

Like others, this has hit me harder than I expected.  Has there been a bigger sports death in the last 30-40 years?  Only one I can think of would be Dale Earnhardt but he didn't have the global impact and reach that Kobe had.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Has anyone been waxing poetic about what a great man and humanitarian he was? Most of the sentiment has been about what a tremendous competitor he was, with a drive and work ethic worthy of idolization. The most I've seen about him as a person is that he seemed like a good father, and had a great, intellectually curious mind that seemed destined to achieve great things post basketball.

To be fair, he has done a lot of philanthropy in both the US and China. 

4 minutes ago, Assman said:

Can we not just let Kobe rest in peace without bringing up his rape allegation?  For fucks sake, none of us know what happened that night and at the end of the day, the girl dropped the criminal charges.  Assuming you're not Jerseyman, we've all been in the same situation where some chick could have fabricated a story that was 100% untrue about what may or may not happened during any given drunken night.  Now is not the time to bring that up so give it a rest.

Like others, this has hit me harder than I expected.  Has there been a bigger sports death in the last 30-40 years?  Only one I can think of would be Dale Earnhardt but he didn't have the global impact and reach that Kobe had.

I mean Ali...but he was in a lot of death pools. 

A former coworker of mine posted this on Facebook:  "Of the 9 people now reported on the aircraft, how many did not rape a girl in a Colorado hotel room, then publically smear her and pay her off to drop the charges? Or did we all forget about that?" 

He's always posting sensationalist shit or far right religious views that are borderline racist and I want to reply but I don't want to stoop to his level. I wanted to reply "Well he died in a fiery helicopter crash today knowing his daughter was going to die as well so I'm guessing you're content that he got what was coming to him right?"

1 minute ago, Assman said:

And Dale Earnhardt died driving a car 200mph. So there was a sense of "I'm just surprised it didn't happen sooner." This is one of the best 10-12 people in the world to ever pick up a basketball dying a year after winning an Oscar and one day after being surpassed in points by the current best player in the world. Just surreal. He had so much more to offer.

3 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

23911158-7931909-Girls_basketball_coach_

Girls basketball coach Christina Mauser, left, was also killed in crash. Her husband Matt, right, wrote on Facebook: 'My kids and I are devastated. We lost our beautiful wife and mom today in a helicopter crash'

2 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Honestly, everything I remembered about the rape case was essentially: she’s a whore, had a few dudes semen in her, and was bragging to friends about banging him afterwards. Maybe that was all bullshit, but I was always under the impression it was a bogus claim.

That’s because Kobe had excellent attorneys, the best PR money could buy, and LA’s media in his pocket. She never stood a chance.  But today? Even Kobe would’ve been Me Too’d.  

Just now, StruggleBus said:

Honestly, everything I remembered about the rape case was essentially: she’s a whore, had a few dudes semen in her, and was bragging to friends about banging him afterwards. Maybe that was all bullshit, but I was always under the impression it was a bogus claim.

I don't want to delve too deep into this, but it's a fact, even from the victim, that it started as consensual. At some point, it may have gotten too rough for her liking. Not to be glib, but that describes 50% of drunken college hook-ups.

rip to all who passed today

a lot of people lost a friend, a hero  or a family member today. May they soon find comfort and peace.

Kobe was an icon of his era. I loved watching him on the court but, over the past few years, I have enjoyed watching the few glimpses of him as a father even more.

Over the years, I have learned one of the greatest accomplishments in life can be to teach and coach others, supporting them and allowing them to grow under your watch. Sounds to me like Orange County lost a fine man in this regard, Coach Altobelli.

We need more people like these two, to lose them right now is a tragedy for us all.

1 hour ago, Pasken said:

That's my understanding. Not sure if he employs the pilot directly or if he uses a company that provides the pilot that has their own liability. If not, poor widow will likely have some lawsuits from the surviving families. Hopefully everything can get worked out amicably.  

Seeing now Kobe didn't own it. 

It was not owned by Kobe Bryant. Island Express Holding, a charter company which goes by IEX Holding, is owned by Phillip DiFiore, of Long Beach, and has been in operation since 2011. DiFiore also owns Island Express Helicopters, which he has operated since 1986. DiFiore and his companies could not be reached for comment. Island Express appears to have taken down its website and social media profiles after the crash.

7 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

A "whore"?

Okay.

8 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Calm down Ken Starr

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, pacman said:

rip to all who passed today

a lot of people lost a friend, a hero  or a family member today. May they soon find comfort and peace.

Kobe was an icon of his era. I loved watching him on the court but, over the past few years, I have enjoyed watching the few glimpses of him as a father even more.

Over the years, I have learned one of the greatest accomplishments in life can be to teach and coach others, supporting them and allowing them to grow under your watch. Sounds to me like Orange County lost a fine man in this regard, Coach Altobelli.

We need more people like these two, to lose them right now is a tragedy for us all.

A pretty good catcher that played for Tech in 2011 and 2012 named Bo Altobelli is related to them.  John Altobelli was his uncle.  Bo is currently a coach at Midland College  

5 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m not on Facebook, but unlike a message board anonymity (where I wanna know who the idiots are), why would you not simply remove this person as a connection?  I do it all the time on LinkedIn. I simply do not want to be associated with crazy people or people with whom I’ve worked that piss me off. Life is too short. 

Good question. I haven't done that with a lot of people who don't have similar views as me. I think I've justified it as not wanting to fall into group think and only have friends who have similar beliefs to me on Facebook. It's sort of refreshing to see the different view points about politics and other stuff on my Facebook feed even though most of the time it just pisses me off. I should probably remove the guy.. he's for sure a racist. It just baffles me that someone so educated with engineering degrees, trust from the FAA, pilot, smarts etc could have such a twisted view of the world. Anyway enough about him... he's old so he'll die one of these days along with his racist views and his daughter just went to college so she's probably off getting boned by other dudes.

16 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Where did you hear that? I think the underwear she wore to the exam the following day had another dude's sperm in it which she explained was because she grabbed dirty underwear which is gross but plausible. 

I didn't really want to get dragged into this part of the discussion but thought it was worth correcting this point.

Edited by Pasken
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dad said:

Good question. I haven't done that with a lot of people who don't have similar views as me. I think I've justified it as not wanting to fall into group think and only have friends who have similar beliefs to me on Facebook. It's sort of refreshing to see the different view points about politics and other stuff on my Facebook feed even though most of the time it just pisses me off. I should probably remove the guy.. he's for sure a racist. It just baffles me that someone so educated with engineering degrees, trust from the FAA, pilot, smarts etc could have such a twisted view of the world. Anyway enough about him... he's old so he'll die one of these days along with his racist views and his daughter just went to college so she's probably off getting boned by other dudes.

Lol and you probably think you’re normal

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Where did you hear that? I think the underwear she wore to the exam the following day had another dude's sperm in it which she explained was because she grabbed dirty underwear which is gross but plausible. 

I didn't really want to get dragged into this part of the discussion but thought it was worth correcting this point.

Going off memory here and it happened a long time ago. That’s simply the way I remember it being portrayed in the media.

6 minutes ago, NowThis said:

23909280-7931909-image-a-63_158009242254

that's a hell of a long way off course.

what sucks is...if the freaking weather is shit fog out, drive. dealing with airports, flying, landing, taxi'ing etc...how much time was he really going to save by flying? Looks like its about 90 miles? shoulda been preventable

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

No way was he supposed to land in El Monte.  That’s an hour plus drive away from Thousand Oaks

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

what sucks is fuck...if the freaking weather is shit fog out, drive. dealing with airports, flying, landing, taxi'ing etc...how much time was he really going to save by flying? Looks like its about 90 miles?

Maybe this so called “supposed to land at” spot is a post “issues” location that updated during flight? Spitballing

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

what sucks is...if the freaking weather is shit fog out, drive. dealing with airports, flying, landing, taxi'ing etc...how much time was he really going to save by flying? Looks like its about 90 miles? shoulda been preventable

You have clearly never driven in LA. Particularly from Orange County to the Valley....it fucking sucks.  90 miles might as well be 200+ on most days.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

some said the NBA should have canceled the games today; others have suggested they cancel all games the day of his funeral. thoughts?

I think given the competitor Kobe was he probably wouldn't be looking for the whole league to take a day off to honor him.  Probably something more appropriate than not playing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

some said the NBA should have canceled the games today; others have suggested they cancel all games the day of his funeral. thoughts?

On one hand it seems shitty to ask players to play when they might want to attend his funeral (if its open for them to attend which I imagine it might be) if there are conflicts. On the other hand, it becomes a slippery slope. How important of a player has to die for them to cancel games? They can't do this for all players. 

I won't be upset either way. Either way people will bitch and moan about it and others will love it.

The story at the time was that she may have been slutty and went to a hotel room with him, but her intention was something less than him strangling her and anal intercourse to completion. Just because a girl is the hotel slut doesn’t mean it’s ok to butt rape her. He settled with her on the condition of her silence, the criminal case was dismissed, and Kobe gave his wife a $4 million “I’m sorry” ring so all was forgiven. The Laker fans’ love probably never waned, certainly not after he delivered another championship.

I’m skeptical of the MeToo era, but am astounded at the hero worship he got before and after his death. That said I don’t wish he was dead and assume most critics in this thread don’t either. He was an anal rapist whose death is being treated like he was a mix of Lou Gehrig and Roberto Clemente. He was an all time great player and has contributed philanthropically since his retirement.

Saying people should forget or not bring up the rape is akin to the future thread whenever OJ dies, telling posters to ignore his alleged murders and focus on the sadness of his death and memories of a heisman and NFL hall of famer whose electric personality transcended beyond sports into the entertainment world. Don’t be a dick and bring up him decapitating his ex wife because that was never proven in court!

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1