RIP Black Mamba: Kobe Bryant dead in helicopter crash CONFIRMED

BigDHornfan

5 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The story at the time was that she may have been slutty and went to a hotel room with him, but her intention was something less than him strangling her and anal intercourse to completion. Just because a girl is the hotel slut doesn’t mean it’s ok to butt rape her. He settled with her on the condition of her silence, the criminal case was dismissed, and Kobe gave his wife a $4 million “I’m sorry” ring so all was forgiven. The Laker fans’ love probably never waned, certainly not after he delivered another championship.

I’m skeptical of the MeToo era, but am astounded at the hero worship he got before and after his death. That said I don’t wish he was dead and assume most critics in this thread don’t either. He was an anal rapist whose death is being treated like he was a mix of Lou Gehrig and Roberto Clemente. He was an all time great player and has contributed philanthropically since his retirement.

Saying people should forget or not bring up the rape is akin to the future thread whenever OJ dies, telling posters to ignore his alleged murders and focus on the sadness of his death and memories of a heisman and NFL hall of famer whose electric personality transcended beyond sports into the entertainment world. Don’t be a dick and bring up him decapitating his ex wife because that was never proven in court!

except of course, there was no anal intercourse to completion. 

however it started, Kobe likely did commit sexual assault. but I'm not going to sit here and make shit up out of thin air.

20 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

some said the NBA should have canceled the games today; others have suggested they cancel all games the day of his funeral. thoughts?

cancel nothing. pre-game, in-game tributes are fitting. exception to the Lakers if they want to or can arrange a reschedule.

Mavericks' gesture is excessive.

just my opinions.

Edited by naija

28 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

some said the NBA should have canceled the games today; others have suggested they cancel all games the day of his funeral. thoughts?

They're professionals.  Not only that, they're paid fantastic sums of money to play a game.

Go to work, do your job.  There is nobility in the grind of being a professional.

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So Kobe, his daughter, baseball coach, wife, daughter, b-ball coach, pilot, are there two more to be identified?

Yep. Seems strange the last 2 haven't been identified by now.

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Seems to be evidence of mechanical failure.

We'll see.

I wouldn't say that. You aren't looking at a black box readout. This is a remote radar tracking. It's possible you could have irregular readings during the crash.

Edited by Pasken

Just now, Trey3216 said:

Mavs gesture is likely excessive, but Cuban and Kobe has a friendly and business relationship on some margin, and Dirk & Kobe were friends/confidants.  That could have been a call put in by Dirk, and Cubes pulled the trigger.  

Lots of people were associated with Bryant.  

It's plain weird.   

But Cuban is weird.

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Mavs gesture is likely excessive, but Cuban and Kobe has a friendly and business relationship on some margin, and Dirk & Kobe were friends/confidants.  That could have been a call put in by Dirk, and Cubes pulled the trigger.  

not sure how any of that adds up to retiring the number,

25 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The story at the time was that she may have been slutty and went to a hotel room with him, but her intention was something less than him strangling her and anal intercourse to completion. Just because a girl is the hotel slut doesn’t mean it’s ok to butt rape her. He settled with her on the condition of her silence, the criminal case was dismissed, and Kobe gave his wife a $4 million “I’m sorry” ring so all was forgiven. The Laker fans’ love probably never waned, certainly not after he delivered another championship.

I’m skeptical of the MeToo era, but am astounded at the hero worship he got before and after his death. That said I don’t wish he was dead and assume most critics in this thread don’t either. He was an anal rapist whose death is being treated like he was a mix of Lou Gehrig and Roberto Clemente. He was an all time great player and has contributed philanthropically since his retirement.

Saying people should forget or not bring up the rape is akin to the future thread whenever OJ dies, telling posters to ignore his alleged murders and focus on the sadness of his death and memories of a heisman and NFL hall of famer whose electric personality transcended beyond sports into the entertainment world. Don’t be a dick and bring up him decapitating his ex wife because that was never proven in court!

If you really think Kobe & OJ are the same there’s no hope for you. How mind-numbingly stupid. You keep calling him a rapist based on one person’s accusation, even though he was never convicted of anything. You’re the embodiment of everything wrong with the MeToo movement. 

• Like 3

Man I still don't get those that are questioning the gestures being made by people across the league.  I'm a Spurs fan so it's not like I'm some Cuban homer, but if in his opinion, Kobe made a big enough impact on the game and the team that he owns, who the fuck are we so say he's going overboard by retiring the number?  If MJ died tomorrow in the same fashion, would we question any owners retiring 23?  Some players are bigger than an individual team, and there are people that feel it's appropriate to honor those players.  Stop bitching for the sake of bitching.

• Like 9

Btw, retiring a number doesn't mean you have to have some grand ceremony to raise the jersey to the rafters. It can just mean no other player will wear it again, and I think it'd be cool if the league came out and said they're retiring 8/24 starting now and current players are grand fathered in.

Btw, retiring a number doesn't mean you have to have some grand ceremony to raise the jersey to the rafters. It can just mean no other player will wear it again, and I think it'd be cool if the league came out and said they're retiring 8/24 starting now and current players are grand fathered in.

The Celtics starting lineup would be 18, 37, 46, 58 and 81
  • Haha 1

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20200126/helicopter-carrying-kobe-bryant-was-once-owned-by-state-of-illinois

The luxury helicopter that crashed Sunday morning in California, killing all nine people on board including former NBA star Kobe Bryant, was once owned by the state of Illinois.

The Sikorsky S-76B helicopter was built in 1991, according to the Federal Aviation Administration's aircraft registry. The state of Illinois used it from 2007 to 2015, according to helicopter information database Helis.

Under the direction of former Gov. Bruce Rauner, the state sold the helicopter along with four other surplus aircraft in 2015 for $2.5 million. Rauner said selling the aircraft "also avoided an additional $1 million in inspections and repairs," according to an Associated Press story after the sales.

The winning bid for the helicopter was $515,161, placed by user "Jimbagge1," according to a listing on the state's online auction website, iBid. Both the aircraft and its two engines had just under 4,000 hours of airframe time when the copter was sold.

Cheaper than I would have guessed. 

45 minutes ago, naija said:

cancel nothing. pre-game, in-game tributes are fitting. exception to the Lakers if they want to or can arrange a reschedule.

Mavericks' gesture is excessive.

just my opinions.

LAL's next game is Tuesday at the Staples Center vs the Clippers. I'm a Clippers supporter myself, but that'll be one game where i sincerely hope the Lakers win in epic fashion. Preferably a fade away jumper by LeBron. I think that would be fitting. 

36 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Yep. Seems strange the last 2 haven't been identified by now.

I wouldn't say that. You aren't looking at a black box readout. This is a remote radar tracking. It's possible you could have irregular readings during the crash.

I think the radar lost track because that is really hilly area in the west valley and he was flying low.  I think the radio call indicated that he was too low for radar tracking.

36 minutes ago, naija said:

not sure how any of that adds up to retiring the number,

Mavericks are retiring Kobe's number before Dirk's. Chew on that.

30 minutes ago, Assman said:

Man I still don't get those that are questioning the gestures being made by people across the league.  I'm a Spurs fan so it's not like I'm some Cuban homer, but if in his opinion, Kobe made a big enough impact on the game and the team that he owns, who the fuck are we so say he's going overboard by retiring the number?  If MJ died tomorrow in the same fashion, would we question any owners retiring 23?  Some players are bigger than an individual team, and there are people that feel it's appropriate to honor those players.  Stop bitching for the sake of bitching.

spacer.png

• Like 1

LAL's next game is Tuesday at the Staples Center vs the Clippers. I'm a Clippers supporter myself, but that'll be one game where i sincerely hope the Lakers win in epic fashion. Preferably a fade away jumper by LeBron. I think that would be fitting. 

900 the cheapest ticket on stubhub.. nosebleed corners

Anything lower level is pushing 2 grand just for 1 seat.

Inside the NBA is gone be tough

I wonder if pilots are taught to try to turn right or left instead of pull up to go over an obstacle if they are in a situation where they are quickly approaching a mountain side. It seem like the physics would be better to keep your momentum going in a sharp turn and avoid stalling out or losing lift capability.

9 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

That steep climb at the end with the drop in speed leads me to believe that a mountain popped out of the fog and they stalled out trying to get over it.

Helicopters don’t really stall.

Probably pulled up hard after going IMC to clear local terrain, or some granite popped out of the gloom, clipped it and crashed. I’d guess that an S-76 has a ground proximity warning system. 

Just now, Bobby_Batronic said:

Probably pulled up hard after going IMC to clear local terrain, or some granite popped out of the gloom, clipped it and crashed. I’d guess that an S-76 has a ground proximity warning system. 

Any reason why he would go special VFR instead of just going IFR like the conditions called for? I find it hard to believe that this pilot wasn't instrument rated.

1 minute ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

You'd also think they had synthetic vision. Apparently not.

10 minutes ago, dad said:

I wonder if pilots are taught to try to turn right or left instead of pull up to go over an obstacle if they are in a situation where they are quickly approaching a mountain side. It seem like the physics would be better to keep your momentum going in a sharp turn and avoid stalling out or losing lift capability.

Autopilot off, pull up, max power, retract the spoilers, wings level and don’t change configuration until clear of obstacles. Keep all of the lift vector pointed up. 

Probably different than helos though. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

1 minute ago, Thetexashammer said:

You'd also think they had synthetic vision. Apparently not.

Depends on the age of the S-76. Synthetic vision is largely a GA item and on a new private jets. This one was 29 years old and probably not refitted. 

2 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Any reason why he would go special VFR instead of just going IFR like the conditions called for? I find it hard to believe that this pilot wasn't instrument rated.

Convenience would be my guess. Flying IFR around BUR and VNY is a hassle whereas Special VFR allowed them to scud run a bit and follow corridors. The weather wasn’t VFR, but it wasn’t hard IFR either. 

3 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Convenience would be my guess. Flying IFR around BUR and VNY is a hassle whereas Special VFR allowed them to scud run a bit and follow corridors. The weather wasn’t VFR, but it wasn’t hard IFR either. 

Damn. Wonder if the FAA is going to step in now in that region to limit special VFR. Tragic stuff.

2 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Damn. Wonder if the FAA is going to step in now in that region to limit special VFR. Tragic stuff.

ATC gave them the go ahead so the FAA would’ve pointing the finger at themselves. That’s the busiest IFR airspace in the world so taking away special VFR from them probably isn’t going to happen. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

ATC gave them the go ahead so the FAA would’ve pointing the finger at themselves. That’s the busiest IFR airspace in the world so taking away special VFR from them probably isn’t going to happen. 

Question regarding gross weight. They had eight passengers? I've been in a UH-60 and you could do that but that's really tight. On top of that, I'm skeptical that a group of normal people are going to understand how to safely enter and exit a blackhawk.

1 minute ago, Thetexashammer said:

Question regarding gross weight. They had eight passengers? I've been in a UH-60 and you could do that but that's really tight. On top of that, I'm skeptical that a group of normal people are going to understand how to safely enter and exit a blackhawk.

I’m thoroughly unfamiliar with the load characteristics of an S-76, but they were and are used pretty extensively to haul folks out to oil rigs. And those usually aren’t small people. 

Also, and this may not be the case here, but rules are often bent on personal aircraft. 

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

23909060-7931909-A_flight_plan_indicated

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

So the graph shows that he lowered due to fog? Went back to altitude and the very end is pilot likely pulling up to try and avoid the hill?

If you're looking at the yellow line, that's actually his speed. Blue line is his altitude.

The dip in the yellow line there in the middle is when they were flying slowly in the holding pattern waiting for traffic to clear (on the radar recording, this is where they are circling in place). Their altitude looks fairly consistent and slowly increasing.

The end there is interesting. Like someone mentioned before, their speed drops about 25-30 knots while their altitude increases by almost 1000 feet over the course of less than a minute. Immediately followed by an increase in speed of 40 knots while altitude rapidly decreases by 300-400 feet. Certainly could argue that it sounds like they were in some sort of free fall

Jives with what ESPN is saying but they could just be reading the same graph I guess.

"Shortly after 9:40 a.m., the helicopter turned again, toward the southeast, and climbed to more than 2,000 feet above sea level. It then descended and crashed into the hillside at about 1,400 feet, according to data from Flightradar24.

When it struck the ground, the helicopter was flying at about 160 knots (184 mph) and descending at a rate of more than 4,000 feet per minute (45 mph), the Flightradar24 data showed."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28572984/helicopter-carrying-kobe-bryant-made-climbing-turn-rapid-dive

EDIT: duh they say it in the quote "the FLightradar24 data showed" 

Edited by dad

I can judge whomever I please. Yeah he can do whatever he wants and he did. And I can point to its grandstanding nature. Cuban probably doesn’t see it that way, but he’s making a move that nobody else will make. Why?  To call attention to himself. 

On that note, congratulations on being a mind reader. Since he seriously needs the attention and money right now. Luka and his billions aren’t enough. Eye roll.

Love him or hate him you have to admire his fiery competitive nature and how he always challenged his team mates to do better. Such a tragic end for all involved and the fact that children are involved makes it even more of a tragedy.

5 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I can judge whomever I please. Yeah he can do whatever he wants and he did. And I can point to its grandstanding nature. Cuban probably doesn’t see it that way, but he’s making a move that nobody else will make. Why?  To call attention to himself. 

I don’t really understand why he’s doing it but it’s not uncommon that unique tributes are made when someone young die. Obviously if Kobe had died in 2060 of old age, the future owner of the Mavericks wouldn’t have retired 24.

its similar to how Roy Halliday was voted into the baseball hall of fame on the first attempt after his death. He was a borderline hall of fame guy who probably would have eventually made it but not on the first vote. However the writers bestowed that honor fro him.

i don’t hold Kobe as high as a Jordan, magic or bird but that also can be because of my age. But I can appreciate that Kobe, Shaq and a couple of others were the top players for an extended time before that transitioned to LeBron, etc.

I don’t really understand why he’s doing it but it’s not uncommon that unique tributes are made when someone young die. Obviously if Kobe had died in 2060 of old age, the future owner of the Mavericks wouldn’t have retired 24.
its similar to how Roy Halliday was voted into the baseball hall of fame on the first attempt after his death. He was a borderline hall of fame guy who probably would have eventually made it but not on the first vote. However the writers bestowed that honor fro him.
i don’t hold Kobe as high as a Jordan, magic or bird but that also can be because of my age. But I can appreciate that Kobe, Shaq and a couple of others were the top players for an extended time before that transitioned to LeBron, etc.

Immediately voting somebody into the HOF is a far cry from retiring the number of somebody who had fuck-all to do with any franchise other than the Lakers aside from routinely shoving 50-point nights down their throats.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

It is sad anytime anyone's life is cut short.  It is even sadder when it is kids, as it appears there is in this situation.  That being said, it amazes me the level of "devastation" being expressed by people on this board considering that they were not close, personal friends or even acquaintances of those involved.  Hell, the level of hand wringing by the public is ridiculous.  It is sad and tragic, but life goes on.  

You do realize he was an MVP, and won several NBA titles...........  I mean c'mon..........