RIP Black Mamba: Kobe Bryant dead in helicopter crash CONFIRMED

BigDHornfan

How awful.  While I am not a Kobe/Lakers/Basketball fan and thus not intensely affected like some here, this is a shocking reminder that the only guarantee in life is a death.  Having it all isn't an insurance against that, so you better enjoy the time you are fortunate enough to receive.  Rest in peace to Kobe, his daughter and the others that lost their lives.

"difficulty" could have been describing the visual conditions and perhaps them circling to wait for the fog to lift/airspace too clear. 

Think given the flight data points and the eyewitness accounts of an in-trouble aircraft, it's fairly clear that they clipped something and that's what took down the 'copter. 

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

Mavericks are retiring Kobe's number before Dirk's. Chew on that.

spacer.png

As far as I know, Dirk is still alive, which means Cuban can plan an entire ceremony honoring Dirk in which Dirk will attend.  This is something that usually takes months or years to plan.  Are you trying to insinuate that Cuban holds Kobe in higher regard than Dirk?  I'm not sure what your point is.  Would it make you feel better if Cuban put out a press release saying no Mav will ever wear 41 again even though we all know that's already the case? 

8 minutes ago, otisdog said:

Some chopper pilots on a professional pilots forum are expressing puzzlement that a person worth half a billion would be flying in a 29 year old bird.

That’s because they don’t understand that quite a few wealthy folks don’t give a rip about the equipment up front or age so long as the paint and interior are nice, it gets the job done and is cheap to purchase. 

57 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You do realize he was an MVP, and won several NBA titles...........  I mean c'mon..........

Its like people dont understand that people are different.    "I dont care about this so I dont understand why anyone else does"  is a pretty stupid way to got through life.

RIP to a legend. I'm still a little bit shocked that he's gone.

Due to my own age, his career aligned pretty well with my NBA watching trajectory. I was a little too young to fully appreciate peak MJ, and a little too bored with the sport to care much about LeBron. Kobe was the best on the court at the time in my life when I was truly engaged in the sport.

Some of the negative remarks here are kinda sad and pointless, but I guess that's surly for you and people can't pass up an opportunity to point out another person's perceived shortcomings, even in the midst of tragedy.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Goredho said:

How awful.  While I am not a Kobe/Lakers/Basketball fan and thus not intensely affected like some here, this is a shocking reminder that the only guarantee in life is a death.  Having it all isn't an insurance against that, so you better enjoy the time you are fortunate enough to receive.  Rest in peace to Kobe, his daughter and the others that lost their lives.

This is kinda where I am.  Never been a huge Kobe fan and I hate the Lakers, but I respect his talents and accomplishments, and had the "holy shit" reaction at the news. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Would a brand new one have won?

There haven’t been any brand new rocks in California in some time.

A brand new helicopter might have allowed the pilots to see through the clouds via synthetic vision or FLIR. 

Ground proximity warnings is tied to the location as calculated by the flight management computer. So that should have been shouting at them, and maybe it was hence the steep climb. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, d2o said:

Its like people dont understand that people are different.    "I dont care about this so I dont understand why anyone else does"  is a pretty stupid way to got through life.

No, what I do not understand is the wailing and crying that is going on.  Is it a shock, yes.  Is it newsworthy, yes.  Am I going to cry about it, nope.  The reaction has been incredibly over the top and unnecessary.  Course, I thought the same when Pricess Diana died.  Completely over the top and completely unnecessary.  

• Like 5

All of the victims have been identified now.

28a47c8f-5489-4cf2-aa83-8e2320cee00d_750

John Altobelli, Keri Altobelli and Alyssa Altobelli

John Altobelli was the head baseball coach at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa. He also played for the University of Houston. His wife Keri and their daughter Alyssa were also on board and died in the crash.

Christina Mauser

Christina Mauser was a basketball coach at Harbor Day School in Newport Beach, where Kobe's daughter attended school, reported CBS NEWS. Her husband confirmed the death on Facebook.

"My kids and I are devastated. We lost our beautiful wife and mom today in a helicopter crash," Matt Mauser wrote on Facebook. "Please respect our privacy. Thank you for all the well wishes they mean so much."  

Sarah Chester and Payton Chester

Sarah Chester and her young teen daughter Payton were on also on board, reports CBS.

Ara Zobayan

Ara Zobayan was the pilot in Sunday's crash. FAA records show he received his commercial pilot certificate in 2007, reported CBS NEWS.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

No, what I do not understand is the wailing and crying that is going on.  Is it a shock, yes.  Is it newsworthy, yes.  Am I going to cry about it, nope.  The reaction has been incredibly over the top and unnecessary.  Course, I thought the same when Pricess Diana died.  Completely over the top and completely unnecessary.  

Again, just because you dont react that way doesn't make their reaction wrong or "over the top and completely unnecessary"   Different things effect different people differently.   Get over it.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Assman said:

As far as I know, Dirk is still alive, which means Cuban can plan an entire ceremony honoring Dirk in which Dirk will attend.  This is something that usually takes months or years to plan.  Are you trying to insinuate that Cuban holds Kobe in higher regard than Dirk?  I'm not sure what your point is.  Would it make you feel better if Cuban put out a press release saying no Mav will ever wear 41 again even though we all know that's already the case? 

Dirk lives!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

While I think you are a good poster, this particular line of thought is ridiculous.  You should qualify it with an "IMO" because everyone is different.  This is primarily a sports board or at least the most common thread among the posters of this site.  To have a sports legend that most of us here have watched his entire career tragically die along with his family and the other passengers is jarring to say the least. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

While I think you are a good poster, this particular line of thought is ridiculous.  You should qualify it with an "IMO" because everyone is different.  This is primarily a sports board or at least the most common thread among the posters of this site.  To have a sports legend that most of us here have watched his entire career tragically die along with his family and the other passengers is jarring to say the least. 

That completely over the top and unnecessary was in reference to the shit after Princess Diana died.  Did the Brits not have jobs?  Seriously, there were peole that just camped out in front of Buckingham Palace for a fucking week!

On the Kobe death, it is a shock, yes, but I honestly cannot feel more emotion than that.  And unlike a number of you, I did see him play a number of games from 2004-2007.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, Hate said:

All of the victims have been identified now.

28a47c8f-5489-4cf2-aa83-8e2320cee00d_750

John Altobelli, Keri Altobelli and Alyssa Altobelli

John Altobelli was the head baseball coach at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa. He also played for the University of Houston. His wife Keri and their daughter Alyssa were also on board and died in the crash.

Christina Mauser

Christina Mauser was a basketball coach at Harbor Day School in Newport Beach, where Kobe's daughter attended school, reported CBS NEWS. Her husband confirmed the death on Facebook.

"My kids and I are devastated. We lost our beautiful wife and mom today in a helicopter crash," Matt Mauser wrote on Facebook. "Please respect our privacy. Thank you for all the well wishes they mean so much."  

Sarah Chester and Payton Chester

Sarah Chester and her young teen daughter Payton were on also on board, reports CBS.

Ara Zobayan

Ara Zobayan was the pilot in Sunday's crash. FAA records show he received his commercial pilot certificate in 2007, reported CBS NEWS.

Thanks for posting this.  Yes, Kobe was a legend.  His family will remember his legend as will the city.  The loss of the others is no less devastating.  Simply less well known...but not to those close to them who are in just as much pain.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yep.  Imagine is this were Vince.  Or Colt and his family.  Or anyone from the family.  It hurts.  

18 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

That completely over the top and unnecessary was in reference to the shit after Princess Diana died.  Did the Brits not have jobs?  Seriously, there were peole that just camped out in front of Buckingham Palace for a fucking week!

On the Kobe death, it is a shock, yes, but I honestly cannot feel more emotion than that.  And unlike a number of you, I did see him play a number of games from 2004-2007.

LOL.  As if this makes you somehow more credible because you watched him play basketball for 3 years.

Everyone grieves differently.  All because you don't grieve in the same way doesn't mean others are wrong.  I grew up in SA in the late 80s and early 90s, and I can say without a doubt that David Robinson had more influence on me than probably anyone outside my parents.  If the Admiral died today, you fuckin' A right I'd probably be curled up in a ball on the grounds of Hemisphere Arena.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Why people feel the need to come on here and post that other than shock they don't really care. Um ok? great?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Assman said:

LOL.  As if this makes you somehow more credible because you watched him play basketball for 3 years.

Everyone grieves differently.  All because you don't grieve in the same way doesn't mean others are wrong.  I grew up in SA in the late 80s and early 90s, and I can say without a doubt that David Robinson had more influence on me than probably anyone outside my parents.  If the Admiral died today, you fuckin' A right I'd probably be curled up in a ball on the grounds of Hemisphere Arena.

No, it does not.  I could give a shit about basketball or the NBA.  Basketball as never been my sport.  However, there were many people upthread who were saying they never got to see him play in person.  I did.  Does not make me more qualified or anything like that.  I just do not understand people that allow famous people/celebrities to hold that important a place in their lives.  I prefer for my role models and influences to be a little closer to home.

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

No, it does not.  I could give a shit about basketball or the NBA.  Basketball as never been my sport.  However, there were many people upthread who were saying they never got to see him play in person.  I did.  Does not make me more qualified or anything like that.  I just do not understand people that allow famous people/celebrities to hold that important a place in their lives.  I prefer for my role models and influences to be a little closer to home.

Sweet man glad you're above it all! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Good for you.    That doesn't make you any better (or worse) than anyone else.    Your lack of understanding that everyone is different and consequently deals with loss differently is what is annoying.    If you cannot understand that then there really is not much else to discuss with you.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Your utter lack of empathy for the feelings of others and how they process grief of sports heroes is just amazing. Congrats on being that person today. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Do yourself and us a favor, and find another thread in which you drop trou, pull apart your butt cheeks, and force everyone to look at you. No one wants to see a shitty asshole. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I know I'm feeding the troll here, but did you ever think that some people might not have that role model at home?  Stop acting like you're better than everyone.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I always enjoy other people dictating to me my feelings and how I should Mourn. Most any kid growing up as an athlete he connections to other athletes. It’s a fact.  Most that are really hurting from the loss played sports themselves and not just pop Warner bullshit but into their teen or adult lives. So who the fuck are you to tell another person how they should feel. 

• Like 2