RIP Black Mamba: Kobe Bryant dead in helicopter crash CONFIRMED

BigDHornfan

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Thought it's being widely reported the helicopter was going 160 knots (184 mph) when it crashed into the mountain.

That’s according to flight data radar tracking. You take that with a giant grain of salt and wait for the info on the vehicle to be analyzed.

9 minutes ago, Pasken said:

You take that with a giant grain of salt and wait for the info on the vehicle to be analyzed.

well, OK, but how "off" do you think it is? like I'm speculating "ah the pilot would barely have time between the instant the hill appeared through the fog and his instantaneous death" and your reaction is "we don't know how fast it was going"-- what, you think they very slowly crashed into the hill and the guy had time to think "well shit, let's try spinning, that's a good trick!" or try a bunch of evasive maneuvers or tell the passengers, "uh oh, brace for impact, I may have miscalculated our altitude"....?

to the extent I even made a point, it was just that they were probably going so fast that the pilot barely had time to register "I'm going to die" before he did die, and I will bet you a testicle that the evidence will not contravene that seemingly uncontroversial guess on my part

Edited by SwanderedTalent

50 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Theres some great discussion on reddit in the helicopter section.  This guy "witnessed" it

Hovering, and then 20 seconds later, impact, at 184MPH?

Some hellacious acceleration.  Just guessing it wasn't going that fast.

Not sure if that type information is on the black box or not?  Read where it had one. 

4 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

well, OK, but how "off" do you think it is? like I'm speculating "ah the pilot would barely have time between the instant the hill appeared through the fog and his instantaneous death" and your reaction is "we don't know how fast it was going"-- what, you think they very slowly crashed into the hill and the guy had time to think "well shit, let's try spinning, that's a good trick!" or try a bunch of evasive maneuvers or tell the passengers, "uh oh, brace for impact, I may have miscalculated our altitude"....?

to the extent I even made a point, it was just that they were probably going so fast that the pilot barely had time to register "I'm going to die" before he did die, and I will bet you a testicle that the evidence will not contravene that seemingly uncontroversial guess on my part

With the fog that was reported in that area, you would not have to be going fast to avoid getting your roter blades clipped and then all it takes is for the cab to fall a modest amount for everyone to get crushed to death.

There was no way that pilot was flying 130 mph in VFR without a landmark. You are going to owe me 1 testicle. 

Just imagine if someone pointed out how many people have tripped and fallen at Notre Dame Cathedral over the years. Sure, the Cathedral would claim those people made decisions to put themselves in a situation and readily wanted to walk around, but that joint was old and wrought with hidden dangers. 

Now think for a second how you would've felt if some asshole poster showed up in that thread to tell you that Notre Dame was just a building and your emotions were unjustified.
Regardless of your thoughts on Kobe Bryant as a person, what happened yesterday was a tragedy. You don't have the right to dictate to other people how they should react to a tragedy, just because your opinions and emotions are significantly different. It's incredibly narcissistic of you to expect everyone else to align their views with yours, and then go around posting from your high horse when they aren't.

Honestly though, imagine caring more about a fucking building more than human life.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Theres some great discussion on reddit in the helicopter section.  This guy "witnessed" it

Dude is wearing a TWA hat.  Coincidence that he just happened to be wearing it yesterday, or an aviation enthusiast that put it on and rushed down there to be a fake witness?  (Not crisis actor conspiracy, but rather one of those hobbyists that thinks they are an expert and want to show off.)

Edited by clapclapclap

13 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I generally respect you and your posts around here, and I have an idea of the things that are important to you in life. As such, I looked back at the thread when Notre Dame was on fire to see what your reaction was. A selection of your comments were:

Now think for a second how you would've felt if some asshole poster showed up in that thread to tell you that Notre Dame was just a building and your emotions were unjustified.

Regardless of your thoughts on Kobe Bryant as a person, what happened yesterday was a tragedy. You don't have the right to dictate to other people how they should react to a tragedy, just because your opinions and emotions are significantly different. It's incredibly narcissistic of you to expect everyone else to align their views with yours, and then go around posting from your high horse when they aren't.

I'm out of rep for the day but man if this aint rep worthy.

Interesting from ESPN:

The helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant and eight other passengers that crashed into a hillside in Southern California on Sunday was in a climbing left turn about 2,400 feet high before it dove to the ground, a person familiar with preliminary investigative information about the fatal crash told ESPN.

The source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told ESPN that the pilot had, only moments before, contacted air traffic controllers to say that he had begun a climb to "go above the layer" of clouds present.

This seems odd if there was no mechanical failure.  Climbing above the cloud layer seems like the right idea, but if you had limited visibility, and no mechanical failure, why did it dive?

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have been on this thread since the beginning.  Others brought it up, but I kept out of it.  Then I get vilified for my stance that the mourning shown so far is excessive, yeah, I am going to explain why I have a hard time mourning him.  

To @Spankytoes who asked about all the good he had done, if he had properly paid for his crime, then I would agree with you.  But he never paid for his crime, not really.  

I did?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Interesting from ESPN:

This seems odd if there was no mechanical failure.  Climbing above the cloud layer seems like the right idea, but if you had limited visibility, and no mechanical failure, why did it dive?

A dive would only make sense if there was a mechanical failure.

15 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Interesting from ESPN:

Not a pilot but a helo pilot forum a bunch of pilots explained. Once you get into clouds the oh shut factor kicks in and the immediate reaction is to get back out. Not climb higher. It went into vfr ifr imc etc.   another stat on ATC forum said the survival rate of a oh shit into cloud and drop back down to fix it was 14%.  Meaning only 14% was successful without a Crash. The terrain the clouds etc fucked it all up.  Some of those guys went into great detail outlining everything. After reading all morning it def seems pilot error. Got lost in clouds tried to dive out and didn’t realize they traveled into the mountain. 

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

Dude is wearing a TWA hat.  Coincidence that he just happened to be wearing it yesterday, or an aviation enthusiast that put it on and rushed down there to be a fake witness?  (Not crisis actor conspiracy, but rather one of those hobbyists that thinks they are an expert and want to show off.)

yeah, his recollection seems a little too perfect

On 1/27/2020 at 10:44 AM, wild_turkey said:

I generally respect you and your posts around here, and I have an idea of the things that are important to you in life. As such, I looked back at the thread when Notre Dame was on fire to see what your reaction was. A selection of your comments were:

10 Euros says more alter boys were raped in Notre Dame than in that hotel room in Colorado.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Never thought a Texas fan would equate Kobe’s accusation with OJ. Good work there pal. 

Quickest analogy I could come up with for a Southern California world class professional athlete that was universally loved and also near universally thought to be guilty of an assault. I apologize. Rape does not equal murder...I’ll add that disclaimer. My posts were only in regard to the hero or deity status Kobe is getting. 

This is a very sad story about a personality we all knew and like most of us Kobe was... complicated. He had some amazing professional qualities and perhaps some questionable personal issues. 

the thing that matters right now is that he obliviously touched a great deal of people in a very positive way. I remember my mother telling me about her friend when Elvis died. Being stationed in Europe, they were in Egypt with theit friends for a trip and it came on the radio in the Cairo bizzar.  While everyone was shocked, he spent the trip in the bar by himself quietly drinking scotch with tears in his eyes. 

i remember hearing about other feelings about JFK or Lady Di and some friends telling me theirs about Selena or K Cobain and just not getting it. I get it know. There’s a kinship that is separate from celebrity or fame, it resonates deep with in us because he is inside us. If you even casually watched basketball Kobe was a Jeter type with cool and understated confidence and the talent and timing to silence critics without saying a word. He’s part of our love of basketball now but he’s also a part of our experience growing up and becoming men.

I’m not very forgiving as far as people in power and sexual assault, but regardless of the issues and court case I feel that he was a person marked by fate or providence to suffer death with his child. That’s a pretty shitty thing and I would say karma is satisfied.

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Maybe I’m a weirdo, but when I see or hear something unusual with an aircraft, I automatically check my watch and start noticing details.   

Not totally out of the ordinary. Whenever I hear arguing outside, see a suspicious person, or hear gunshots, I always check the time & make a mental note. Years of watching the First 48 taught me the importance of timelines. 

• Like 2

Not totally out of the ordinary. Whenever I hear arguing outside, see a suspicious person, or hear gunshots, I always check the time & make a mental note. Years of watching the First 48 taught me the importance of timelines. 

Same here except I’ve never seen the First 48. I’m glad to see I’m not the only weirdo.

Same here except I’ve never seen the First 48. I’m glad to see I’m not the only weirdo.

5 minutes ago, NowThis said:

https://www.besthugecocks.com/watch/1164666/emma-butt-pegging-her-male-slave

Planters dials back on Mr. Peanut's death following Kobe Bryant news

New York (CNN Business)Kraft Heinz (KHC) is pausing promotion for its Super Bowl ad that shows the death of longtime Planters mascot Mr. Peanut following the helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant and eight others.

Planters' last week released a commercial in which the 104-year old mascot falls to his death after the company's Nutmobile veers off a cliff. The passengers -- actors Wesley Snipes and Matt Walsh -- all land on a tree branch, but Mr. Peanut "saves" them by letting go and falling to his death. The vehicle then explodes.

Am I missing a joke with the url at the top of your post?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, NowThis said:

https://www.besthugecocks.com/watch/1164666/emma-butt-pegging-her-male-slave

Planters dials back on Mr. Peanut's death following Kobe Bryant news

New York (CNN Business)Kraft Heinz (KHC) is pausing promotion for its Super Bowl ad that shows the death of longtime Planters mascot Mr. Peanut following the helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant and eight others.

Planters' last week released a commercial in which the 104-year old mascot falls to his death after the company's Nutmobile veers off a cliff. The passengers -- actors Wesley Snipes and Matt Walsh -- all land on a tree branch, but Mr. Peanut "saves" them by letting go and falling to his death. The vehicle then explodes.

Ha, now this accidentally left his latest browsing site in the link.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

900 the cheapest ticket on stubhub.. nosebleed corners

Anything lower level is pushing 2 grand just for 1 seat.

Inside the NBA is gone be tough

You should see all star game tix.  They were already high.  Now getting to SB level for anything in middle to lower sections.  

6 minutes ago, smuggs said:

My lord this is outstanding. 

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

Bingo!!

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Ha, now this accidentally left his latest browsing site in the link.

This is the best shit since Rocko had all the tranny site links on his posts.  Legit lol 😂 

• Like 4