RIP Black Mamba: Kobe Bryant dead in helicopter crash CONFIRMED

BigDHornfan

Changing the logo to MJ would be tough, considering he already has an absolutely recognizable logo attached to a company segment that does as much or  more revenue per year than the NBA itself.  That'd be a dicey proposition.  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Changing the logo to MJ would be tough, considering he already has an absolutely recognizable logo attached to a company segment that does as much or  more revenue per year than the NBA itself.  That'd be a dicey proposition.  

ummm......yeah Brand Jordan is doing well but it aint doing NBA well.        Either way I agree that it shouldn't be MJ either.  His brand already using a silhouette would be an additional reason not to do so.

Edited by d2o

17 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

It's been 18 hours since he visited the site (logged in as NowThis).  He gone.

What's the etiquette on doxxing for the purposes of conducting a wellness check?

Seriously though, I can't say that I'll miss his lukewarm takes on the basketball board.

I wonder what kind of weird shit zavala might be into...

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

ummm......yeah Brand Jordan is doing well but it aint doing NBA well.        Either way I agree that it shouldn't be MJ either.  His brand is already using a silhouette would be an additional reason not to do so.

For '17/18 the NBA did $5.8bn in rev.   Jordan Brand is doing about $3.25bn.  So yeah, not quite as well, but not too damn far off for a 'segment biz' vs a global sports entity.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

People are overly emotional dumbasses. There’s no reason to change any logo. I didn’t know it was West until several years ago. If you weren’t told, you’d never know.

Correct answer.   

Bryant deserves to be remembered and memorialized in the proper fashion.  But people need to take a step back on these things.  (Yes, that includes you Cuban.)

• Like 2

I would be good with Lakers putting a Kobe silhouette on their floor and naming the floor after him.    I can't see them changing the Staples center name as they get a nice check for that.   The league wide tributes are enough.    They are already wearing a black band on all jerseys for Stern.    Put his initials along with Stern's on the band.  No need to retire his number league wide or anything like that.

Edited by d2o
  • Like 2

I think the saddest part of this (other than the loss of those little girls, obviously) is that Kobe's best years were probably still ahead of him. Hearing those close to him speak, it's pretty damn clear that he was at a great place in his life. No longer the brash, abrasive kid wanting to silence critics. Rather he seemed content with legacy, fulfilled by his family, and wanting to give back.

And he wasn't the type to sit back and live off his fame, maybe taking TNT's checks to goof off and talk basketball once a week (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I think the saddest part of this (other than the loss of those little girls, obviously) is that Kobe's best years were probably still ahead of him. Hearing those close to him speak, it's pretty damn clear that he was at a great place in his life. No longer the brash, immature kid wanting silence critics. Rather he seemed content with legacy, fulfilled by his family, and wanting to give back.

And he wasn't the type to sit back and live off his fame, maybe taking TNT's checks to goof off and talk basketball once a week (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Honestly, I loved and respected him as a hooper/force in the game but I was never a real fan of his.      The last few yrs had changed that.     He is the last guy I would have expected to become a middle school age girls' basketball coach.   Not only did he do it, he seemed to COMPLETELY embrace it.   He posted all types of pics on his soc media accts not just of his daughter but of the whole team.    He was just stomping for women's basketball last week and I loved that.   I said it earlier before I even found out Gianna was on board,  I was ABSOLUTELY looking forward to seeing her playing somewhere (hopefully the W) and him on the sidelines loving every minute of her trying to kill people on the court.   Needless to say, the pics of him and Gianna have been killing me.

Edited by d2o
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I think the saddest part of this (other than the loss of those little girls, obviously) is that Kobe's best years were probably still ahead of him. Hearing those close to him speak, it's pretty damn clear that he was at a great place in his life. No longer the brash, abrasive kid wanting silence critics. Rather he seemed content with legacy, fulfilled by his family, and wanting to give back.

Exactly.  What turned fans (of other teams) off about him as a player is partly what made him great.  He was brash, aggressive, cocky, and intense.  But when he realized in the last couple seasons that championship basketball was in the rearview mirror, he became much more lighthearted and playful, and started to endear himself to at least some of his critics.  And that only became moreso the case in retirement.  Huge personalities like his are going to turn people off.  That's human nature.  But he was, a lot like Magic, going to stay in the public eye for decades.  

All this is still pretty hard to take for me.  But late night paid their respects well last night. Kimmel and Fallon particularly broken up about it.

Kimmel dedicated his whole show to Kobe

Pretty funny story from Fallon about how the two met early in their LA careers. 

Conan always does well in these moments

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

He was a great player, he wasn't a god.

Yep. Posted by a friend on his site:

The halo people are trying to put on Kobe Bryant is too cracked to wear, but there's no denying that he was a major sports figure, one of the greats, someone whose death lands with a big number on the Richter scale.

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

I never heard about any "need" to change the logo with another player. Why would that be necessary? And although it was modeled after Jerry West, I thought it was never meant to be specifically him but just a representation of a basketball player. He's just dribbling, not doing anything unique. It's not like the Dirk silouette which is specifically unique to him.

He's only the third NBA MVP ever to die and the first to die so tragically young (Moses died at 60, Wilt at 63). So while I don't see any need to change the logo here, it's not hard to see why others might feel differently.

54 minutes ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

No, I don't. I think the current logo is classic and dipicts the sport of basketball the way Naismith intended it to be.

I don't even really care about that, I just don't see a compelling reason to change it based on this tragedy. It's a pretty classic longstanding logo.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Yep. Posted by a friend on his site:

The halo people are trying to put on Kobe Bryant is too cracked to wear, but there's no denying that he was a major sports figure, one of the greats, someone whose death lands with a big number on the Richter scale.

yep. Kobe wasn't a good guy when he admitted to non-consensual sex in 2003. that would lead to a major suspension today.

2 hours ago, smuggs said:

Video of heli circling low over Glendale. Supposedly verified by address/location vs flight data. That's a big fucking chopper:

https://nypost.com/2020/01/28/kobe-bryants-helicopter-circles-over-glendale-before-deadly-crash-in-eyewitness-video/

Screenshot-2020-01-28-at-09.48.26-e15802

Screenshot-2020-01-28-at-09.48.18-e15802

He wrote on Twitter, “This pilot was performing a very aggressive circling maneuver … I observed 1 or 2 circles before filming & he was even lower & closer to my house, engine maxed.”

"very aggressive circling maneuver" = normal holding pattern

47 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

yep. Kobe wasn't a good guy when he admitted to non-consensual sex in 2003. that would lead to a major suspension today.

I don't know that he ever admitted to non-consensual sex.

First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colorado.

I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado.

9 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don't know that he ever admitted to non-consensual sex.

First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colorado.

I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado.

Sounds like he got a little aggressive and took it to the brown hole....