RIP Black Mamba: Kobe Bryant dead in helicopter crash CONFIRMED

BigDHornfan

10 hours ago, dad said:

29 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

That’s a very interesting watch if you want to know what probably happened. 

Yes.  That was some great discussion and information.  Start at 5:45 if you're pressed for time.  Good discussion of instrument flight proficiency and the challenge of maintaining that proficiency, good discussion of weather reports and how helo pilots make decisions to fly or not, and the near impossibility of trying to just slow and hover in instrument conditions.  Lots of folks have asked why he didn't just stop and hover.  5:45- to about 11:00 of this video explains exactly why.

Edited by Your Mom
edit

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Those were your seats? I bet stubhub had those at like 4-5k per ticket

I looked and they were about $2k per.  Court side were $30k.  I was really stoked to be there.  Man it was emotional.

LBJ gave a pretty passionate speech.

FC508866-74FF-44D6-B49B-5A5D8710F367.jpeg

Weird that a 500 dollar drone can hover and stay upright without touching any controls, but a multi million dollar helicopter can't.

There’s a ton of cool satellite positioning tech and etc in those drones, but the four rotors are instrumental in hover ability. Single rotor with pilot operating cyclic and collective controls is an entirely different bird for sure. I agree to the point that a multimillion dollar bird like that one seems archaic compared to inexpensive drone tech.

On 1/31/2020 at 7:06 AM, closetojumping said:

Is anyone else both mildly terrified and completely unsurprised that marcstanco is flying people around using a $200 app that he downloaded from the app store? The concept of hopping into a plane or helicopter and marcstanco is running things up front is going to give me night terrors. 

I've seen video proof of Stanco dodging idiot drivers.

He can fly, he's pilot.

• Like 1

I had an overnight in LA on Friday so I rented a car and drove out to the crash site just to get a feel for it.  They had a few parking lots blocked off probably to keep assholes like me from loitering, so I had to go behind the school that was across the street from the Water Dept building that the crash occurred behind.  It was late afternoon, so there were a few shadows on the couple trees on that hill, but it definitely looked like there was a charred spot further up the hill that looked like an impact site, and the wreckage rolled down the hill to its final resting spot.  I hadn't seen this in any pics, so either I just missed it, or it was a shadow and I'm just blind.  If that was in fact the impact location, I see why they said they were 20-30' from clearing the top.  It looked more like 50' to me but who's counting.  Either way, I don't see how there was a 2000 fpm decent before the impact.  If there was, then the helo was going to easily clear the hill but then in the final seconds took a dive towards the ground.  I'll try to post some pics if they turned out.

And since I was in town, there was no way I wasn't going to that game.  I bought a ticket on the street about 30 minutes before tip for more than I'd like to admit, but once again, my ass was going to be in Staples for the ceremony.  Like SBbruin said, it was extremely emotional.  I was doing fine until they started showing pics of Kobe and Gigi together and then the allergies flared up.  For the first and only time in my life, I was a Laker fan, but Dame Lillard had other plans.  Either way, I'm glad I was there and it's a night I will never forget.

• Like 4

somehow I got on a search earlier that led to a link about Kobe and his wife getting divorced back in 2011.  I guess they reconciled in 2013.  I'm sure I heard it at the time, just didn't remember it.  Kinda surprised it didn't come back up during the media frenzy.

https://www.businessinsider.com/kobe-bryant-100-affairs-2011-12

Edited by mulletpelini

4 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

somehow I got on a search earlier that led to a link about Kobe and his wife getting divorced back in 2011.  I guess they reconciled in 2013.  I'm sure I heard it at the time, just didn't remember it.  Kinda surprised it didn't come back up during the media frenzy.

https://www.businessinsider.com/kobe-bryant-100-affairs-2011-12

That link gave my PC AIDS

On 2/3/2020 at 12:31 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

glad they started the cleanup last night , winds are 20-30knots today, blowing trees over it  its crazy damn windy, and with the thousands of balloons i saw yesterday its prob a nightmare today

Vanessa Bryant requested all of the items be sent to her.    They were reportedly cataloging and packing up everything but the flowers.

On 1/31/2020 at 12:01 PM, 'stache said:

There is legitimate criticism about the rape situation, but it's not funny.

That was my middle school his helo crashed across the street from. As a lifelong Lakers fan it's surreal. Many days spent on that playground pretending and wishing I was a Laker. I had moved away from LA by the time Kobe joined the team but there are a few public events I'll always remember exactly where I was. When Reagan got shot. 911. When Magic announced he had HIV. And now Kobe's death. (I was living in Europe in 2006 so missed out on seeing the '06 Rose Bowl/ncg live.)

As to the rape allegations, those were different days and I didn't believe 'em at the time. Now I believe it was a grey area and that while Kobe believed he had consent, he should have made sure consent was certain. The woman/victim was deeply disturbed and we'll never know how that played into it, and we'll never know how it caused Kobe to view what her attitude was. From what we know about Kobe, he lived an exemplary and extraordinary life following the rape allegation. At a minimum he was an amazing father to his 4 daughters. RIP.

Edited by Chopper
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chopper said:

As to the rape allegations, those were different days and I didn't believe 'em at the time. Now I believe it was a grey area and that while Kobe believed he had consent, he should have made sure consent was certain. The woman/victim was deeply disturbed and we'll never know how that played into it, and we'll never know how it caused Kobe to view what her attitude was. From what we know about Kobe, he lived an exemplary and extraordinary life following the rape allegation. At a minimum he was an amazing father to his 4 daughters. RIP.

I wasn't aware that the days were that different then that rape was just ok... as your post seems to allude to. 

• Like 1

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Fucking twat ?  moi ??

"As to the rape allegations, those were different days and I didn't believe 'em at the time".    <<<<<<<<< What does that mean ?

I am speaking about my belief at the time. I think that's pretty clear. Unless of course you're half a retard. NTTAWWT 

• Like 1

Just now, Chopper said:

I am speaking about my belief at the time. I think that's pretty clear. Unless of course you're half a retard. NTTAWWT 

Well maybe you need to check your work first because that comment is an oft used alibi for excusing rape, domestic violence, drinking and driving, etc. etc. .  

A simple That's not what I meant would have sufficed, but you couldn't pull that off I guess. My response would have been gotcha, carry on.  But hey you do you.

14 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

that comment is an oft used alibi for excusing rape

I think even if you sucked at reading comprehension, which you clearly do, you might have understood something called context and you would not have responded to me the way you did. Jesus even your own mother thinks you're a twat, doesn't she.

Hint: "I" am clearly the subject of the sentence.

edit: I am sure I'm not the only man on here who's changed his viewpoint about women's issues since 1996. I saw no need to address all that in saying what my perspective was at the time and with what I have learned since then. Thus, I used shorthand. Blaming me for your dipshitedness was sweet though.

Edited by Chopper
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Chopper said:

That was my middle school his helo crashed across the street from. As a lifelong Lakers fan it's surreal. Many days spent on that playground pretending and wishing I was a Laker. I had moved away from LA by the time Kobe joined the team but there are a few public events I'll always remember exactly where I was. When Reagan got shot. 911. When Magic announced he had HIV. And now Kobe's death. 

Ironic username.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Harsh words, but women have a special hatred for rapists, alleged or otherwise.  Probably not the smartest thing to post, being an employee of a municipality and all.

"Gordo's Corner" today on The Ticket was a pretty thorough revisiting of the Kobe/Colorado situation. It did NOT paint a flattering picture of what Kobe very likely did to that girl. Kobe's attorney put together a pretty compelling character assassination of the alleged victim during the preliminary hearing, using her actual name SIX times and so on and so forth. That was all legal then. A lot of protections given to alleged rape victims now did not even exist in 2003-2004. Kobe and his attorneys bought her off, simple as that.

It's a sad deal that he died so young and that his teenage daughter died as well but all this talk of retiring his number by teams he didn't play for, or making his likeness the new NBA logo is absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, C-Man said:

It's a sad deal that he died so young and that his teenage daughter died as well but all this talk of retiring his number by teams he didn't play for, or making his likeness the new NBA logo is absolutely ridiculous.

That is truly ridiculous and over-reactionary.  Yeah, he did a lot for the NBA and will go down as an all-time great, but there are more than a few players, some already deceased, who are more worthy of such a league-wide gesture, if that would even be appropriate for them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

"Gordo's Corner" today on The Ticket was a pretty thorough revisiting of the Kobe/Colorado situation. It did NOT paint a flattering picture of what Kobe very likely did to that girl. Kobe's attorney put together a pretty compelling character assassination of the alleged victim during the preliminary hearing, using her actual name SIX times and so on and so forth. That was all legal then. A lot of protections given to alleged rape victims now did not even exist in 2003-2004. Kobe and his attorneys bought her off, simple as that.

The way it looks is that he continued after consent was revoked or continued because he took her actions to be implied consent. Did he get away with a crime, especially under today's standards for consent? I think so. Now, did he get away with a crime and use that opportunity to pursue further criminal activity? It doesn't appear so. In fact, it appears to be the exact opposite. The amount of outreach and charity that has come to light in his passing is actually very surprising in a positive way. He did a lot of things behind the scenes that he wanted zero publicity for. The article posted some pages back about the Colorado incident shaking up his life in a way that led him to revamp who he was as a person off of the basketball court is backed up by a lot of evidence. I'm not saying he should be applauded because he raped a girl, but his actions after should at least keep his legacy from being thrown into the scrap heap.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I mean where ya been, this kind of thing has been going on for a while now.

I know, I just find it a little ironic that it's almost impossible to fire a municipal employee for being incompetent but it's seems easy to can them for having an opinion that goes against the group think.

• Like 6

Just now, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I know, I just find it a little ironic that it's almost impossible to fire a municipal employee for being incompetent but it's seems easy to can them for having an opinion that goes against the group think.

No shit brah.....  Laziness, and incompetence as termination merited offenses are not what they were once cracked up to be apparently. 

So is it ok now to issue implied death threats if someone brings up Kobe's rape accusation?

https://www.newsweek.com/snoop-dogg-criticizes-gayle-king-mentioning-kobe-bryants-sexual-assault-charge-interview-what-1486086

Rapper Snoop Dogg took to Instagram Wednesday night to criticize CBS This Morning host Gayle King after she brought up Kobe Bryant's sexual assault charge during an interview with former WNBA champion Lisa Leslie.

"Gayle King, you're out of pocket for that s***," Dogg said in his Instagram video. "Way out of pocket. What do you gain from that? We expect more from you, Gayle. Don't you hang out with Oprah [Winfrey]? Why are you all attacking us? We're your people. You ain't come at Harvey Weinstein asking those dumb a** questions."

He continued: "I'm sick of y'all. I want to call you one, is it okay if I call her one? Funky doghead b****. How dare you try and tarnish my homeboy's reputation, punk motherf*****. Respect the family and back off b****, before we come get you." (snip)

Of course she's backed down, issued an apology, and is blaming her network for the editing.

Edited by clapclapclap