RIP Black Mamba: Kobe Bryant dead in helicopter crash CONFIRMED

BigDHornfan

I enjoyed this article. Written by a woman who used to work at D-Land.

Disneyland cast members experienced Kobe Bryant, the girl dad, in backstage encounters

Even when he was still winning titles for the Lakers, Disneyland cast members got to see a different side of Kobe Bryant. The happiest place on earth will be a little sadder without him.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2020/2/4/21117712/disneyland-kobe-bryant-gianna-vanessa-daughters-girl-dad-lakers-championship-2009-2010

• Like 1

10 hours ago, South Austin said:

That is truly ridiculous and over-reactionary.  Yeah, he did a lot for the NBA and will go down as an all-time great, but there are more than a few players, some already deceased, who are more worthy of such a league-wide gesture, if that would even be appropriate for them. 

I am curious which deceased players you're thinking of. 

Because of the relative youth of the league compared to MLB and NFL, and the relatively longer lifespan of a basketball player vs football, I am having trouble thinking of deceased NBA greats. Besides Wilt. 

8 hours ago, TornACL said:

Because of the relative youth of the league compared to MLB and NFL, and the relatively longer lifespan of a basketball player vs football, I am having trouble thinking of deceased NBA greats. Besides Wilt. 

Bobby Dooley.  Point guard for the Minnesota Lakers in the 1950s.  He was a trailblazer for the league.  Died in a tragic tractor accident.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TornACL said:

I believe someone mentioned before that only Wilt and now Kobe are the only former MVPs who have passed.  

Nobody that matters seriously wants to change the logo.  It's just internet fodder. Not to mention the fact that a silhouette of any other player would probably create branding issues for the NBA. For years, nobody knew that the current NBA silhouette was Jerry West. Til this day the NBA still won't officially acknowledge that it's him.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

24 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Nobody that matters seriously wants to change the logo.  It's just internet fodder. Not to mention the fact that a silhouette of any other player would probably create branding issues for the NBA. For years, nobody knew that the current NBA silhouette was Jerry West. Til this day the NBA still won't officially acknowledge that it's him.  

Good points, and as if they needed to to any basketball fan.

Before reading this I was thinking that if anyone replaced the current logo it should be MJ. Then you mentioned “branding”. Yeah, no way Jordan lends is image for less than *999 billion dollars.

*exaggeration
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, C-Man said:

"Gordo's Corner" today on The Ticket was a pretty thorough revisiting of the Kobe/Colorado situation. It did NOT paint a flattering picture of what Kobe very likely did to that girl.

It was.  The only thing that annoyed me about that segment was when he implied Kobe's lawyers completely fabricated questions about her recent sexual history at pre-trial hearings for the media ("because it was ok back then to raise questions without evidence, etc. etc.) but Gordo didn't mention when they were raising those questions, the DNA evidence from her rape kit had semen from 2 different dudes.  So right or wrong for his lawyers to raise it, it was not just completely made up without any evidence as Gordo strongly implied to further make his point.   Not defending Kobe, and Eastwood's response pretty much sums up my thoughts on it, but that probably would have gotten in at trial as a possible explanation for the vaginal bruising.  

The different semen samples came from her underwear if I remember correctly.

Not out of the realm of possibility she put on a dirty pair of underwear.

And frankly, even if she had sex with one guy and then had sex with another guy an hour later isn’t material. She always said their encounter began as consensual and changed when he went farther than she wanted and she asked him to stop and withdraw consent.

Seriously, women can have sex with two guys in one night if they want. That behavior isn’t a defense against rape.

Sexually promiscuous women can be victims of rape.

And his lawyers using the possibility that she had sex with another guy after being raped by Kobe was definitely a low blow. Not all victims react the same. It may seem odd that a woman would do that but it really has no bearing on her claim. Maybe that was her way of doing something to take back control of her body? Maybe she did it to try and erase what happened earlier? People do weird and contradictory things to battle trauma.

“This woman is lying! If she was really raped, why would she have sex with another man within a day? That’s not how women are supposed to react to being raped!”

That’s what the two semen defense boiled down to - using it as a scientific/psychoanalytical way of spewing the old “she was asking for it” bullshittery.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

The backlash and death threats against anyone bringing up how Kobe was a rapist is par for the American course. 

The national anthem should be renamed "The Death of Morals"

That's sad. It's important to note that he was never fully tried and definitely not convicted. But he did settle the case, and made a statement that wouldn't be allowable today.  If the exact same scenario played out today, the player would be indefinitely suspended. 

However it also doesn't mean that aspect of his life needs to be brought up every time as well.

9 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Mike Sagely, a helicopter pilot in the Los Angeles area with 35 years of flying experience, said the aircraft's last minutes suggest Zobayan had started to execute a maneuver designed to pop above the clouds by flying up and forward.

why would you fly forward if youre in fog?

I'm guessing you can gain altitude faster???  But don't really know.  The whole problem is that per the reports they ended up flying down and turning....so is that disorientation where he thinks he's going up and he's actually going down?  Sounds like it based on what a few of the experts around here have said.  The helicopter version of a death spiral?

27 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So he almost made it above the clouds but then said fuck it and started a rapid descent? I’m still confused.

That was the speculation I saw from some "expert" on the news. He tried to get above the clouds to get visibility, realized he couldn't get above them, then descended. No idea if that even makes sense. Just what I saw. 

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Mike Sagely, a helicopter pilot in the Los Angeles area with 35 years of flying experience, said the aircraft's last minutes suggest Zobayan had started to execute a maneuver designed to pop above the clouds by flying up and forward.

why would you fly forward if youre in fog?

Because it’s nearly impossible to hover in fog or clouds. You need outside references. 

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

So he almost made it above the clouds but then said fuck it and started a rapid descent? I’m still confused.

I don’t believe the final turning descent was done on purpose. I believe he was disoriented in the clouds and simply lost control. The fact that he was instrument rated but had stated he had no actual experience in the clouds is what makes me think that. It’s really easy to totally lose control in the clouds if you aren’t well-practiced at it. 

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I'm guessing you can gain altitude faster???  But don't really know.  The whole problem is that per the reports they ended up flying down and turning....so is that disorientation where he thinks he's going up and he's actually going down?  Sounds like it based on what a few of the experts around here have said.  The helicopter version of a death spiral?

Yea not sure either. If youre disoriented i think the last thing youd want to do is go faster. especially if youre upside down thinking youre right side up.  I mean im sure theres a screen that tells you if youre upside down in the cockpit. just calm yourself and head up.

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I thought there was one other one but couldn't think of it at the time. Regardless deceased former NBA MVPs is a limited group.  

Even more so for the guys that came directly out of HS, Moses being the first. Got to see him play HS games in the 70's.  At the beginning of the games the Petersburg, VA. crown would begin chanting na na na na - na na na na- hey hey  hey ..... gooooood bye....

17 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I thought there was one other one but couldn't think of it at the time. Regardless deceased former NBA MVPs is a limited group.  

Seems like a statistical oddity but some of the early winners (award came into existence in ‘55) are starting to get up there in age. Cousy is 90 and I assume Bill Russell isn’t far behind him in age.

overall nba players don’t seem to get involved in accidental deaths like athletes from the other major sports. Might just be a total numbers and averages thing.  And for top nba players, their salaries and endorsement money are at other levels. That might offer additional safety protection from some issues but could introduce other risks, like helicopter accidents.

On a side note, Kobe always seemed like someone out of place. Not connecting with anyone except presumably his wife and kids. I was never a fan but he was a great scorer. 

Crazy ongoing story how snoop dogg threatens gayle king regarding comments about Kobe’s rape charge. Snoop may not have anything to directly to do with the death threats but not a good move by someone making a living off insurance commercials and tv shows with Martha Stewart.

Easy way to find yourself getting fired on a Sunday 

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Crazy ongoing story how snoop dogg threatens gayle king regarding comments about Kobe’s rape charge. Snoop may not have anything to directly to do with the death threats but not a good move by someone making a living off insurance commercials and tv shows with Martha Stewart.

Easy way to find yourself getting fired on a Sunday 

What did Gayle king do that would elicit death threats ?  I'm guessing she put his wife on the spot about the rape allegations.  

I like Snoop, he's fucking funny, and has made a living being high, which I salute him for, but fuck you man, you, by all accounts murdered somebody already so STFU, and keep being Marthas bitch.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I believe gayle king had a long interview with Lisa Leslie, not Kobe’s widow, where gayle asked a question about the impact of Kobe’s trial. CBS aired the question as a teaser.

Ahhh, thanks.  Well hero worship has its issues.  How dare you disparage this great man after he dies....  

• Haha 1