RIP Black Mamba: Kobe Bryant dead in helicopter crash CONFIRMED

BigDHornfan

5 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

You haven’t flown enough wealthy folks/celebs. They don’t hear the word “No” very often and many think that their money/fame exempts them from the laws of nature. 

Also, you probably don’t get to cancel too many Kobe flights before he stops calling you. I’m sure the pilot was considering that. 

There's also the innate egocentric arrogance of "oh, hell, it's not going to happen to ME, right now" that we're all susceptible to. I am sure even a pilot's professional prudence is vulnerable to that kind of basic psychology.

He'd probably flown under equally bad or worse conditions in the past and come out all right, so there's a little bit of underlying confirmation bias going on too. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, markstanco said:

Yea this is weird as a pilot.

Synthetic Vision on an app on your ipad is $200 a year. I have literally landed with it even though not approved by the FAA. it would have showed the terrain and how close.

Having said that, he wasnt using it in a 2k per minute dive. I'm wondering if the NTSB report comes out something none of us expected.

Is anyone else both mildly terrified and completely unsurprised that marcstanco is flying people around using a $200 app that he downloaded from the app store? The concept of hopping into a plane or helicopter and marcstanco is running things up front is going to give me night terrors. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So now although the pilot was rated for instrument flying, the chopper outfit as a whole was not certified to fly passengers in IFR conditions.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeremybogaisky/2020/01/29/pilot-in-kobe-bryant-helicopter-crash-wasnt-allowed-to-fly-by-instruments/#4974a74a26ea

Question - Obviously the chopper company is fucked. But if Kobe had a side deal with them to lease his own rig and use their best pilot to fly him anytime/anywhere, which would violate their company certification if that meant flying in IFR conditions, could his estate be held liable in this? There were 6 other non-Bryant passengers onboard.

8 minutes ago, Iceman said:

His helo was 30 years old... why would that be on the manufacturer?

Not the manufacturer, the operator. Island Express Helicopters.

Sorry - by 'chopper company' I meant the operator not the actual manufacturer of the bird. I should have been more clear.

Edited by smuggs

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is anyone else both mildly terrified and completely unsurprised that marcstanco is flying people around using a $200 app that he downloaded from the app store? The concept of hopping into a plane or helicopter and marcstanco is running things up front is going to give me night terrors. 

My first wife is tarded. She's a pilot now. 

My former Army helicopter pilot buddy jokes that flying a helicopter IFR is damn near an emergency situation to begin with. Even if you’re certified to do it you just don’t get much experience at it because of the helicopters ability to just go slow and stay low and out of the clouds. 10 years flying in the Army including combat deployments, he said he could count on one hand the number of times he flew in the clouds. They just don’t do it much because there’s almost never a need to. 

This guy never made the conscious decision to fly 180 knots into a valley in the fog. He made one small bad decision at a time and each of those decisions inched him closer to that final spot.  It can be really easy to make bad decisions when that one decision alone isn’t going to kill you and not see the culmination of the whole chain of events. 

Edited by Your Mom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

No, you cant use it as primary navigation.  It is a great backup though if something goes out.  Gamin on the firewall is my primary nav. 

8 minutes ago, XYZ said:

But it’s possible that the crash was caused by a mechanical failure and not human error, right?

Always. 

6 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Sounds like something a Jackson Hole charter pilot would say.

Jackson Hole was actually pretty benign compared to Castlegar or Telluride. And yes, I’ve seen more than a few people go ballistic when they were told that they couldn’t overload the plane and clear the mountains or skip the de-ice in a near blizzard that day. Had to talk one moron into just flying from Hilton Head directly to Houston for his cancer treatment instead of trying to fly into the edge of a hurricane in Florida before hopping another private flight the next day to...Houston. Hurricanes....no problem. Miss some radiation and chemo?  Oh. Maybe I shouldn’t fly into that hurricane. 

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

So now although the pilot was rated for instrument flying, the chopper outfit as a whole was not certified to fly passengers in IFR conditions.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeremybogaisky/2020/01/29/pilot-in-kobe-bryant-helicopter-crash-wasnt-allowed-to-fly-by-instruments/#4974a74a26ea

Question - Obviously the chopper company is fucked. But if Kobe had a side deal with them to lease his own rig and use their best pilot to fly him anytime/anywhere, which would violate their company certification if that meant flying in IFR conditions, could his estate be held liable in this? There were 6 other non-Bryant passengers onboard.

I doubt Bryant had the first clue that the helo operator was violating his ops specs. 

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

His helo was 30 years old... why would that be on the manufacturer?

It's not Chevrolet's fault if I overload a truck and drive it down the highway and kill someone after losing control.

Deepest pockets is always a thing when suing in aviation. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

spacer.png

Just imagine how it is for those of us who do know him. I must admit I do know people who have flown with him and lived, so the internet must not have went down those days.

5 hours ago, TornACL said:

If you're going to be offensive, it helps if you're funny. 

That was the problem.  There was no joke or comedic structure.  It wasn't gallows humor or "anything goes in comedy" type of dark humor.  It was just malice.  It's just shitting on your neighbors coffee table and blaming everybody for not appreciating your style of performance art.  People are crazy and dumb and someone will likely try to fuck him up, which is equally insane.  Getting attention is pretty easy.  Well, Ari got some attention.

15 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Yep, and this dude within the last year drugged his friend Bert Kriescher in front of his kids. Stand up guy

Yeah, I can't believe Bert still talks to him after that one.  He had no remorse and thought it was funny even after Bert told him how fucked up it was.  

That would be a one way ticket to the end of the friendship if anyone ever did that to me.

15 hours ago, Deej said:

If being offensive is wrong, just shut down this site immediately. 

There is legitimate criticism about the rape situation, but it's not funny. And he ties it into "hating the Lakers." I am indifferent towards the Lakers, I have serious concerns about his character because of the rape allegations, I don't in any way relish in his death, and none of it is at all funny. I can appreciate dark and gallow humor where intended, but he had no intention of being funny, just cruel.

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

There is legitimate criticism about the rape situation, but it's not funny. And he ties it into "hating the Lakers." I am indifferent towards the Lakers, I have serious concerns about his character because of the rape allegations, I don't in any way relish in his death, and none of it is at all funny. I can appreciate dark and gallow humor where intended, but he had no intention of being funny, just cruel.

See, I agree with you. And when he says he does this for all dead celebrities, that is no defense in my mind. I might legitimately dance on the graves of certain dead celebrities, but I'm not going to brag about it within days of said passing.

And even though I don't like Kobe, his death is still tragic and too soon.

The guy also put a lot of crap in his tweet (hating the Lakers, liberal Hollywood, etc) that had nothing to do with "ending hero worship." So that's bullshit, too.

Gonna head out in a bit. Tip is 7:30 but the Lakers sent out a notice to have butts in seats by 7, which means they are going to do something pretty significant if it's a half hour before tip. They are also doing this:
9c41da424526239ce134a0cf37671b61.jpg

Put a few tissues in my pocket. Melo is sitting as he says he's not ready.

• Like 2

Well, that was as emotional an event I’ve been to other than a funeral/memorial.  Yes, we lost, but that house was feeling Kobe all night.  I know you all hate the Lakers, and I don’t blame you.  I hate the Yankees with a passion.  But the Lakers ARE the premier team in the NBA, and I really hope and pray AD and LBJ lead us back where we belong.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, smuggs said:

Not the manufacturer, the operator. Island Express Helicopters.

Sorry - by 'chopper company' I meant the operator not the actual manufacturer of the bird. I should have been more clear.

You might be very correct, sir...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/operator-downed-helicopter-kobe-bryant-014718154.html

Well, that was as emotional an event I’ve been to other than a funeral/memorial.  Yes, we lost, but that house was feeling Kobe all night.  I know you all hate the Lakers, and I don’t blame you.  I hate the Yankees with a passion.  But the Lakers ARE the premier team in the NBA, and I really hope and pray AD and LBJ lead us back where we belong.

I don’t, how the hell you can you lose to Portland at home on a night like that?
Come on man!

7 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Glad you got a chance to be there. From all accounts the Lakers did a hell of a job putting it together. It’s going to be interesting to see what the next few weeks bring for the team. There is still a memorial and funeral to get through as well as meaningful games to be played not to mention the pressure they are going to put on themselves to win it all for Kobe as well as other teams trying to step it up like Lillard did last night.

• Like 2