The Worst Movie/TV Characters

ernest_t_bass

Martha on The Americans (the wife of one of Philip's aliases who ended up getting shipped to the USSR).  

This wasn't a case of bad acting, just a pathetic character, and I get that she was supposed to be, but god damn she took up a lot of screen time that could've gone to Nina.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Haley in Modern Family was always pretty good.   I think she was like 23 or something when the series started, though, so she was never really a child actor.  Luke was good in the first couple of seasons before puberty.  But yeah, otherwise the kids are pretty bad.  Older, non-cute versions of Luke and Manny in particular are completely awful and will never work in anything else big budget again.

my wife hates lily so much.  like an irrational amount, it's become a running joke.

the series has fallen off such a cliff the last 2-3 seasons, but every now and then there's a decent one.  and it's always one featuring almost none of the kids.

but yes, i agree, haley (being the oldest) has always been pretty good.  manny is probably the worst.  watch him now, he always has to be doing something with his hands.  it's an old acting trick for bad actors - giving them something to do with their hands to keep them from looking stiff and unnatural.  he walks in making hand motions, picks something up, plays with it, puts it back down, adjusts his collar, then walks out.  it's like a drinking game.

i'm shocked the kids in shameless have worked out so well, considering how young they were when cast.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

i never made it through the man in the high castle largely because i couldn't stand the guy from road trip.

That show was a really impressive collection of awful characters. Stephen Root is the bomb. The main Nazi guy was fine, I guess. Other than that I'm drawing a blank on any more characters that weren't horrible. What a waste of a super interesting premise and world that show was.

13 minutes ago, tokamak said:

That show was a really impressive collection of awful characters. Stephen Root is the bomb. The main Nazi guy was fine, I guess. Other than that I'm drawing a blank on any more characters that weren't horrible. What a waste of a super interesting premise and world that show was.

Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa may have been the best actor and character on the show.

48 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

characters sucked, but they were supposed to - skyler white, betty draper

characters sucked and the actors sucked and they were just terrible - moira kelly in west wing, janice soprano, sofia coppola in gf3, all the kids in modern family

On this front, I've never hated a character in a movie more than this guy:

872890ebc6d2a029dea333d8c371c81a.jpg

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The f***?!

He's such a cunt.  Reminds me of a roommate I had in college who was one of the guys that would lose his shit over nothing, and was completely unpredictable about it.

The scene where Tommy gets made is one of the most rewarding in cinema history to me.

48 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

He's such a cunt.  Reminds me of a roommate I had in college who was one of the guys that would lose his shit over nothing, and was completely unpredictable about it.

The scene where Tommy gets made is one of the most rewarding in cinema history to me.

I didn’t realize hating Tommy was controversial. Like you, I thought you were supposed to.