Andre the Giant Documentary - April 10 HBO

Amos Moses

49 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

I cannot imagine how bad it sucked to have to travel around the world being that big.

Or just having to squat down to get into most people's homes, not counting never being comfortable in your own bed...

It was pretty good, not enough stories about wrestlers lugging him around after he got drunk though.  They didn’t always just let him sleep, heard stories of 6 wrestlers lugging him out of bars.  Could you imagine if he had his surgery on the tumor at around 20 to stop the ill effects and and actually worked out?  He looked terrible at the end, the drinking didn’t help..

17 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

I have a hard time believing Vince was that upset when discussing Andre's death.

He was a big part of Vince making money early on and I’m pretty sure they were pretty close.  Sounds like he just got bitter at Vince at the end just because his body wouldn’t let him perform anymore and he needed someone else to blame.

I thought it was great - totally different feel than the Ric Flair 30 for 30 even though a lot of both stories overlap.  I like that it didn't focus as much on the wrestling matches and offstage hi-jinks.  I can't comprehend how hard it was for him to cope with everything that came along with his size.  It was a touching portrait of a man who I always viewed as a physical curiosity - sadly like a circus act.   

I loved the stories about how he dominated the wrestlers he didn't care for, like Macho Man and Big John Studd.  "No body else enters the ring over the top rope - that was his thing."

It was great.  I loved Arnold saying how he was trying to pay for dinner, and Andre said no and picked him up like a kid and put him up on some piece of furniture like a doll.

It brought back some great memories.  I had not thought about WWF since I was 16.  Rob Reiner and Billy Crystal were great.

106 Beers.   20 Bottles of wine on set of The Princes Bride.. Crazy.  The mentioned he tried out for the Redskins as a gimick, and then showed him with Ali.  It would have been interesting to see him box, since his fist was the size of someones head.

Oh his trademark lifting of the left leg and laying a 30 second fart.

Edited by BNB

I watched it and was really looking forward to it.  I enjoyed the side story of the history of wrestling with the territories. 

I remember growing up I had an older cousin who had wrestling magazines.  This was the early 80s.  My folks didn't me watch wrestling growing up so I would have to catch up to speed via my cousin.

I'm glad they didn't hit up the Jake the Snake storyline at the end of his career.

7 hours ago, BNB said:

It was great.  I loved Arnold saying how he was trying to pay for dinner, and Andre said no and picked him up like a kid and put him up on some piece of furniture like a doll.

Arnold has told some good stories about hanging out with Wilt and Andre.

lJ09YHkd.jpg

Wilt was 7'1. In most pics Andre seems just a tad shorter so 7' was probably pretty accurate.

10 hours ago, RexWilson said:

lJ09YHkd.jpg

Wilt was 7'1. In most pics Andre seems just a tad shorter so 7' was probably pretty accurate.

it's crazy that you will look at the picture and think.. who is the little guy?

then you realize it is Arnold. Jeez.

13 hours ago, RexWilson said:

lJ09YHkd.jpg

I think that is just due to the perspective.  Andre was closer to 7'4" than 7" I bet...

On 4/11/2018 at 12:03 AM, DougO said:

Is it wrong to want to see one of Andre's turds?

Asking for a friend.

There are probably some old hotel housekeepers that could describe them to you. Rumor is that he would shit in the bathtub because he didn't fit on the toilet.

That may or may not be true, but to Ric Flair's point about the mythology of the man, you just don't know.

Thought it was a great doc. You could tell that some people like Crystal and Reiner etc really loved him by their expressions as they recalled stories of Andre.