Best TVs for watching football?

Sandman

With the super bowl coming up, I thought there'd be some TV deals out there. I really want a TV that doesn't have issues with fast motion. I saw a 50" Samsung for $298 but I'm told they suck for watching football, which is the main reason I want a new one. Anyone got opinions on a 50-55" for around $500 or so? Most of the 240hz options are around 800 or so but I'd like to stay under that, if possible. I'm not against 120hz if it'll get the job done.

19 hours ago, elfenix said:

to answer the question in the OP, the answer is OLEDs.  either lg or sony (lg makes the panels for both).

scroll down to the bottom and you can sort by whatever you want:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/tvs-on-the-market

OLEDs have reached their peak (they were designed with SDR content in mind and are the best there).  New HDR mastered content is pushing them past their limits of brightness. 

6 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

OLEDs have reached their peak (they were designed with SDR content in mind and are the best there).  New HDR mastered content is pushing them past their limits of brightness. 

the brightness is lower than LCDs and pretty much always has been, but the contrast ratio is the tits.  so the dynamic range is still high, even though peak brightness of a top OLED is ~60% of top LCDs.

Yes, Black levels won't be beat for a while, and contrast is amazing....but the sets top out at 800 nits.  Was perfect when most content was mastered at 100 nits (SDR).  Hollywood is now starting to master video as high as 4000 nits in some cases and there is not yet an economical way to do this with OLED.

Some mico-led sets are offering 10,000 discrete dimming zones etc.  Blacks wont be quite as good but they can handle the new HDR content most media is switching to.  Micro LED may not be the winner in the future, just what is available now.

On 1/28/2020 at 11:01 AM, TeddyBearStallion said:

If it were me, I'd go to Walmart and get a TCL, its got a high quality picture but at a more affordable price then what you'll find at Costco.  But if $$$ were no issue, I'd spring for that 86" LG they have on sale at Costco for $1,800.   

The TCL 6 series is $100 more at Walmart than at Costco.  Most of Walmart's TCL are 4 series. The 4 series is very good for the price.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP