Michael Cohen Investigation

DanTheHorn

3 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

So, yeah.  If Cohen taped Trump....and Cohen was the deputy finance chair of the GOP (or whatever his title was)....wonder if he taped calls with GOP officials that might be noteworthy?

Or, with the companies who he "consulted."

21 minutes ago, woohorn said:

I think you missed the point.

In ANY industry, some clients aren't worth the standard rates.

I've got a feeling you have a hard time getting people to work for you...

No, he made it pretty clear that if a dirty client pays the bills on time and gives an extra dash, he's ok with it.

That's why 98% of non lawyers hate lawyers.

Hypothetical: if a client leaks privileged communication, would that waive the privilege?

yes...the client “owns” the privilege. any disclosure of a privileged conversation is deemed to waive the privilege and opens the door for questioning and eventual full disclosure using other rules (e.g. optional completeness, et al).

17 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

90B49F1A-961F-4BEA-96BB-26A98B6636F7_zps

What is the difference in using information gained through phone taps or using info gained through Cambridge Analytic?  The second just seems more technologically advanced. 

Of course he calls out Obama for the former, but no one for the latter. 

And that line about "very sacred election process.  This is Nixon/Watergate"  How very projection-isty. 

20 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Honestly, no.  I'd fire that client long before we got to the point of me recording him.

Which is probably why I can't imagine recording a client conversation.

OK, now try this...

What if you weren't smart. What if you were really really stupid.

What then? lol

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Yes.  The client owns the privilege.

More than that, you can't really only partially waive privilege. If there is other related material out there, privilege is probably waived to it as well. I am not sure Trump's team thought this through. 

15 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

More than that, you can't really only partially waive privilege. If there is other related material out there, privilege is probably waived to it as well. I am not sure Trump's team thought this through. 

what evidence is there that they've thought anything through?  this whole thing has been a hodge-podge.

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The fact that Rudy thinks it's exculpatory probably helps explain the strategy.  Maybe not, I'm not an old insane but shitty attorney.

Melania is so making bank with her new deal with the Donald

Edited by Gatorubet

48 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'm thoroughly confused. How could they think that'd be helpful?

Trump gets to control the narrative instead of the information coming out some other way.  

It’s the same reason Don Jr. tweeted out his emails about the conspiracy meeting in Trump Tower.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Trump gets to control the narrative instead of the information coming out some other way.  

It’s the same reason Don Jr. tweeted out his emails about the conspiracy meeting in Trump Tower.

Yes.  Which also means that there is more to the story than meets the eye.   

On 7/21/2018 at 11:08 AM, jimmyjazz said:

The fact that Rudy thinks it's exculpatory probably helps explain the strategy.  Maybe not, I'm not an old insane but shitty attorney.

Or Rudy's lying.  he thinks tapes in the FBI's possession won't ever see the light of day.  And even if the tapes do get released the GOP base will believe Rudy even with documentary evidence that Rudy lied.

Meanwhile, we're discussing the tapes and not thousands of kids in cages or dotus's treasonous behavior.

Edited by lemonlime
Just saw that Cohen is releasing the tapes. The news moves too fast to keep up. JFC

• 4 months later...
28 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

To how many different audiences is this directed and for what intended results ?

For now, it's targeted at an audience of one.

And if that audience of one continues to badmouth and throw Cohen under the bus, then the audience becomes Macmillan, Harper-Collins, Penguin, Random House, Simon &  Schuster and a few others.

• Like 2

Following sentencing for his role in a hush-money scandal, Michael Cohen was granted a prison work release for a new job with the Trump 2020 campaign, sources confirmed Wednesday. “We’re confident that engaging in honest work will help Mr. Cohen with his rehabilitation,” said warden Pete Clements, telling reporters that having an opportunity to give back to society by serving as an advisor for the 2020 Trump presidential campaign would help Cohen see the error of his past behaviors. “Once he arrives in March, Mr. Cohen will be bused from our penitentiary to Trump’s Manhattan campaign office for an eight-hour work day before returning to prison each night. Mr. Cohen will be under strict supervision during these furloughs, which will allow him to use his skills for the betterment of the community and give him a chance to reintegrate into society.” Clements added that Cohen’s request for a position as the RNC’s 2020 deputy finance chairman had been denied over concerns that the work environment would make it too easy to backslide into criminality. 

• 1 year later...