Atari Levels Up Into The Austin Hotel Game

CooterBrown

No idea who the market is for this but it's something.

https://www.kut.org/post/atari-levels-austin-hotel-game

Atari Levels Up Into The Austin Hotel Game

By JIMMY MAAS | KUT  15 HOURS AGO
  • An artist's rendering of an Atari-themed hotel the company says will be coming to Austin and seven other cities.

An artist's rendering of an Atari-themed hotel the company says will be coming to Austin and seven other cities.
    ATARI/GSD GROUP

Atari plans to open a video game-themed hotel in Austin.  

The company announced Monday it had partnered with Napoleon Smith III, the producer of the recent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movies, and GSD Group, a branding and strategy firm, to open theme hotels in eight cities.

The first hotel will break ground in Phoenix this year. Atari also plans to build in Chicago, Denver, Las Vegas, San Francisco, San Jose and Seattle.

In a press release, the company promises “immersive experiences” for all ages and abilities. It says it will mix vintage games with the latest trends, like esports.

“When creating this brand-new hotel concept, we knew that Atari would be the perfect way to give guests the ‘nostalgic and retro meets modern’ look and feel we were going for,” Smith said in a statement.

The company did not announce a date for when the hotel would break ground in Austin or where.

2 hours ago, bluto said:

If this isn’t a prime example of just how much of an economic/CRE bubble we’re riding...

Come on. A hotel chain run by a video game company whose heyday was 40 years ago is a great idea in any era.  What we really need though is a Gobots themed restaurant chain. 

• Like 1

Seriously though, if this is successful I could definitely see another game company like Nintendo or Sega giving this a shot themselves.

I personally would definitely stay at a Nintendo themed hotel.  Mario, Luigi, and the crew, green warp pipes, and go-karts?  Yes please!

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I will whoop your ass in Asteroids and Missile Command right now.  RIGHT NOW.

I did have Journey Escape -- meh.

Asteroids?  I'll take your bet, you're gonna regret, 'cause I'm the best there's ever been.

True story, my cousin was the Guinness world record holder for arcade Asteroids for a while. 

• Haha 1