Earthquake in Cuba

DDD Dad

Just got word that my company’s Miami office is under a mandatory evacuation until tomorrow as a precaution. 

edit: apparently the building owner issued the mandatory evacuation of the building. Seems unnecessary with Cuba between the earthquake and Florida. 

Edited by heso

CubaQuake2.png?w=632

51 minutes ago, heso said:

Just got word that my company’s Miami office is under a mandatory evacuation until tomorrow as a precaution. 

edit: apparently the building owner issued the mandatory evacuation of the building. Seems unnecessary with Cuba between the earthquake and Florida. 

Maybe they're worried about copycat tsunamis.

Edited by clapclapclap
Also, what if Cuba tips over?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I texted my family in Miami. No one felt anything.  There are reports of some high rises being evacuated but that seems unnecessary.

Counterpoint: every high rise in Miami was built under permits procured from Miami-Dade county.  Which surely applied rigorous building codes and standards and couldn't possibly have looked past shoddy construction in exchange for....benefits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Counterpoint: every high rise in Miami was built under permits procured from Miami-Dade county.  Which surely applied rigorous building codes and standards and couldn't possibly have looked past shoddy construction in exchange for....benefits.

To be fair, despite the horrible corruption in Dade County (sorry it's still Dade County to me), one thing that is not corrupt is the generally rigorous application of rigorous building codes and standards (notwithstanding some of the shoddy construction practices of a number of tract home builders back in the 1980's).  Hurricane Andrew exposed the shoddy workmanship, but compared to most other municipalities Dade's building codes and standards are pretty stout.

Edited by DDD Dad

3 hours ago, heso said:

A wise precaution - Miami has no defense.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Miami-Dade building codes are all about hurricanes.  They're very strict, too. 

• Like 1