Minecraft

MoJames

Gdi. Avoided this game for some time. Got my kids a switch for Christmas and 6 year old wanted it. Well I have been employed to figure out how to play it. Initially very clunky with it but I am quickly getting sucked in. Last night I spent probably 3 hours trying to move fucking bees. Anyone else playing/played? Amazing how much there is to do in this world.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, I did the same about 5 or so years ago.  Would end up staying up till 3am on a work night to 'one more block' trying to do something.

might be worth going down some youtube rabbit holes to see various parts of the game.  my son still plays on and off now for 5 years now.  my daughter also likes playing as well.

• 1 month later...

If you're into Minecraft and you have it for PC, check out Feed the Beast:  https://feed-the-beast.com/

It's Minecraft for adults.  There's a metric fuck ton of mods, a lot more complicated stuff than the base game.  There's various different builds and styles, with an assortment of different mods in each.  I've used the Direwolf packs in the past.  They tend to add a lot of machines and industrialization into the game.  Stuff like Macerators, Industrial Furnaces, Generators, Nuclear Reactors, Mining Lasers, Windmills, various Pumps, Solar Panels, Cables and Wiring, etc.  There's a natural progression where you start making simple machines first, then you build up to a huge mining operation with automated miners and stuff.  Then you can mess with some of the other mods like Ender IO that can create pipes that will filter blocks/items to various storage chests automatically, or even feed materials across dimensions using pipes and Ender Chests.  You can make it as complicated or as simple as you like.  There's also some mod packs that add additional dimensions, enemies and bosses, magic crap, and deco stuff but I tend to stick to the industrial mods personally.

Keep in mind there are several different Feed the Beast modpacks with different flavors and mods integrated.  Some are more fantasy, some are more industrial, some are closer to vanilla Minecraft, and some are a mix.  This video is several years old, the mod pack has evolved quite a bit since then, but it's a short video that shows some of the things you can build with Feed the Beast: Direwolf.  Skip to 1:30 to see some of the machines.

Edited by ulukinatme
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/16/2020 at 11:03 PM, mulletpelini said:

and that was the last time we ever heard from MoJames

And you aren't far off.

Been really digging in during the Pandemic, started a Realm with one of my childhood friends and added another friend as well. We now have 3 beacons, several fully automated farms and my wife hates the game. The 4 year old also is annoyed with it at times. 7 year old still getting a kick out of it and plays on the realm as well.

Just crazy depth, fun, innovation. The most interesting thing to me is how differently users play the game.

22 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Fully automated farm intrigues me.  Do you mean there is a mechanical system set to pull and replant as the produce matures?  Because that would be outstanding.

So keep in mind the word farm is used for any resource in the game, not just crops. You can produce a automated crop farm though with the use of NPCs called villagers.

They aren't amazing and one of the users in the realm does all the farming manually so he can trade crops for emeralds.

I have built a gunpowder farm - kills creepers without me doing anything more than standing there.

Slime farm - kills slimes

Iron farm - kills iron golems

so plenty of different types of farms, but yes they require nothing more than me to be online and somewhat close to the machine.

On 6/10/2020 at 3:20 PM, mulletpelini said:

Fully automated farm intrigues me.  Do you mean there is a mechanical system set to pull and replant as the produce matures?  Because that would be outstanding.

I'm pretty sure there's a mod in the Feed the Beast pack with something like that.  I tend not to do farming though.

Edited by ulukinatme

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Anyone's kids doing the Minecraft Education edition?  Basic coding with blocks or Python to complete tasks.  6th grader trying it out now.

Have in the past (I was taking classes, and we had it as a part of a MS package), the only problem is that my 2nd grader prefers to play with his friends, and that is not possible in Education.

Really like the programming and stuff in the Education edition, and will probably get him back into it this summer, but need to check the pricing, think it was a subscription or something for a year.

Edited by atomheartbevo

35 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Have in the past (I was taking classes, and we had it as a part of a MS package), the only problem is that my 2nd grader prefers to play with his friends, and that is not possible in Education.

Really like the programming and stuff in the Education edition, and will probably get him back into it this summer, but need to check the pricing, think it was a subscription or something for a year.

The intro video says others can join but they probably need Education edition too.  

I saw the button on the interface to invite people daughter found the code generator to share.

Education edition is apparently free with my daughters school district issued email and login

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 6:44 PM, TexasEd said:

Anyone's kids doing the Minecraft Education edition?  Basic coding with blocks or Python to complete tasks.  6th grader trying it out now.

My daughter tried it out for awhile but got bored with it.

• 3 months later...

A friend and I were both switching jobs and had some downtime so we started a Java edition realm about 3 years ago.

The only pack I have is to keep the Enders from picking up dirt blocks. Other than that, pretty vanilla.

After three years we have tons of builds and farms. Definitely sucks time. But It’s fun to figure out.

Caves and Cliffs will be bad ass.

• 5 months later...

My 3rd grader: Hey dad, I want to make some mods for Minecraft Java

Me: It's not that easy, but we can certainly get you some books and have you look at some videos about it, but you have to know Java first.

Him: You worked in computers. Have you every programmed any mods or anything with games?

Me: I created and sold some mods and a bunch of maps for Doom II, and created a BBS door game and worked on another back in the 90s, and made a utility for Ultima Online, but haven't written anything since then outside of website stuff.

*Turns into 30-minute discussion of what Doom II, BBSes, and Ultima Online are*

Him: Well, since you programmed on games and made mods and maps, we can use your programming skills to make some Minecraft mods.

Me:

The Office Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

Funny this popped up. 

Much like @MoJames, we got our son a switch for his birthday. He's also 6. And his aunt got him minecraft. Uh...this game seems impossible. Any fucking tips to...do fucking anything? I saw some 90 page instructions and thought...I'm not reading a novella to understand this game and how to make dyes to color my clothing. 

9 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Funny this popped up. 

Much like @MoJames, we got our son a switch for his birthday. He's also 6. And his aunt got him minecraft. Uh...this game seems impossible. Any fucking tips to...do fucking anything? I saw some 90 page instructions and thought...I'm not reading a novella to understand this game and how to make dyes to color my clothing. 

Grab some books from the library, and watch some YouTube videos but be wary of who you watch. 

17 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Funny this popped up. 

You tube and/or invite an 8yr old over.  Your kid will figure it out, that's the fun of Minecraft. (he might be a couple years early though)

• Hook 'Em 1