Casting - Hits and Misses

RollLeft

26 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Hit:  Brando as Col Kurtz.  Entire movie based on boat ride up a river during war to confront this character.  Tremendous build up and without much screen time, Brando pulled It off as did Martin Sheen throughout entire movie.

It would have been even better had he not shown up grossly overweight, requiring them to use a mumu for clothing and film him in shadows.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

doesn't count.  Spin off

Oh give me a break. He was a hit as Frasier Crane on Cheers too. If he wasn't so good, they wouldn't have made the highly successful spin off based on the gal damn character. No need to pick nits. 

Edited by lateshow

2 hours ago, AustinMT said:

It would have been even better had he not shown up grossly overweight, requiring them to use a mumu for clothing and film him in shadows.

I was aware of that but having him filmed in dark shadows seemed to work well to be symbiotic of his character’s state of mind.

On 1/30/2020 at 7:59 AM, Mileslong said:

Miss

Jack Ryan

633569b2ba342e580df535e662556e9a.jpg

I haven't seen the show, but from the trailers it seems that it has the same problem as the Ben Affleck version of Jack Ryan - they make him like a special forces action star instead of what he's supposed to be, which is a CIA analyst.

The quintessential Jack Ryan are the scenes in The Hunt for Red October when he figures out (by thinking) how Ramius is going to get the men off the boat and Patriot Games when he slowly realizes the red-haired woman is part of Sean Miller's group.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I haven't seen the show, but from the trailers it seems that it has the same problem as the Ben Affleck version of Jack Ryan - they make him like a special forces action star instead of what he's supposed to be, which is a CIA analyst.

The quintessential Jack Ryan are the scenes in The Hunt for Red October when he figures out (by thinking) how Ramius is going to get the men off the boat and Patriot Games when he slowly realizes the red-haired woman is part of Sean Miller's group.

Makes it a double miss.  Jack Ryan isn’t an action star.  And an action star isn’t Jim. 

• Like 1

Misses:

v1.bTsxMTE2OTQ0NTtqOzE4Mzk5OzEyMDA7ODAwO

Both roles.  Will Farrell is too silly to take any of the action seriously or care about the plot.  Marky Mark isn't funny enough to make me think it's a comedy. 

Going too far on either side of that spectrum end up making it a poor man's Bad Boys, with kinda funny but mostly action Will Smith and mostly funny and kinda action Martin Lawrence.  Seems like both leads have to kinda pitch in on both parts of "action comedy."  Maybe it's just a bad script though.

Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix Lestrange in the Harry Potter movies was a miss-- too cartoony and over-the-top even for a cartoony kid's book character

Glory is one of my all-time favorite movies, but I kind of go back and forth on Matthew Broderick as Robert Gould Shaw. He's sharing the screen with Cary Elwes, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, and Andre Braugher-- he kind of gets chewed up and spit out by those guys, even though I sentimentally love his performance. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2020 at 9:53 AM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Misses:

v1.bTsxMTE2OTQ0NTtqOzE4Mzk5OzEyMDA7ODAwO

Both roles.  Will Farrell is too silly to take any of the action seriously or care about the plot.  Marky Mark isn't funny enough to make me think it's a comedy. 

Going too far on either side of that spectrum end up making it a poor man's Bad Boys, with kinda funny but mostly action Will Smith and mostly funny and kinda action Martin Lawrence.  Seems like both leads have to kinda pitch in on both parts of "action comedy."  Maybe it's just a bad script though.

I agree about Wahlberg but Will "Gatas bitches betta be usin' jimmies!!" Ferrell is fucking funny as shit in this movie. Marky Mark was just annoying, but the schtick worked better in TED. 

• Like 2