Casting - Hits and Misses

RollLeft

On 2/10/2020 at 9:53 AM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Misses:

v1.bTsxMTE2OTQ0NTtqOzE4Mzk5OzEyMDA7ODAwO

Both roles.  Will Farrell is too silly to take any of the action seriously or care about the plot.  Marky Mark isn't funny enough to make me think it's a comedy. 

Going too far on either side of that spectrum end up making it a poor man's Bad Boys, with kinda funny but mostly action Will Smith and mostly funny and kinda action Martin Lawrence.  Seems like both leads have to kinda pitch in on both parts of "action comedy."  Maybe it's just a bad script though.

I think you're missing the intended humor of them being together in the first place.  That movie is fucking hilarious.  You gotta be able to see into the levels, man.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Yeah,  I love that guy usually but he was miscast in that role.  Bryan Cranston hit it out of the fucking ballpark though with "All the Way".......just amazing. Apparently the Johnson family was equally enamoured.  

14 hours ago, Lobo said:

Yeah,  I love that guy usually but he was miscast in that role.  Bryan Cranston hit it out of the fucking ballpark though with "All the Way".......just amazing. Apparently the Johnson family was equally enamoured.  

Agree on Cranston in All the Way. I was skeptical, but he did a great job. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/9/2021 at 7:23 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Miss

791801_original.jpg

Classic example of Yankee producers overlooking the importance of a reasonable facsimile of a Texas accent in casting an uber-Texan character like LBJ. Gambon is a fucking tremendous physical actor but his accent was so horrible I had to bail about 2/3 through. (Path to War, HBO miniseries)

Yeah his accent isn't great, but that's a great fucking movie (not mini-series). Alec Baldwin is fantastic as McNamara.

• Hook 'Em 1

What?  Everybody was nails in their role in that movie.  Timothy Busfield?  Guy goes from staring at his own boner jams to starring in "Thirtysomething" in just 2 years.  Curtis Armstrong got "moonlighting" from this movie.  Anthony Edwards got "ER".  Robert Carradine still books top flight roles to this day.  Not really sure whatever became of Lamar, Wormser, or Takashi but I'm sure it was something good.  

2 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

IMO Major League was damn near perfectly casted.  Yes some of the fringe parts were iffy, but the 10 or so biggest roles were spot on.

As was the writing.

You telling me Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball?

Nice catch Hayes. Don't ever fucking do it again. 

We shoulda got a live chicken.

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

First one that came to mind.

Miss:

Everyone else who played Jack Ryan.

Willem Defoe as John Clark. 

Both Harrison Ford and Alec Baldwin were great as Jack Ryan. The problem is that, after The Hunt for Red October and the first 3/4 of Patriot Games, the movies basically turned Jack Ryan into an action star, which completely misses the point of the character.

The movie version of Clear and Present Danger was a fucking mess, including the casting of Willem Dafoe as John Clark. I love Dafoe, but that was just a terrible mis-cast. I remember thinking at the time that Tom Berringer would make a great Clark.

But that whole movie was just a piece of shit compared with the book. I was so pissed a the time because that was my favorite Clancy book and I couldn't wait for the movie version. Both Hunt for Red October and Patriot Games had several changes from the book, which is understandable from a filmmaking standpoint, but they both captured the spirt of the books.

Clear and Present Danger was almost totally different from about halfway through, and they also turned Clark into like some kind of gun-for-hire mercenary, which pissed me off.