Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

The students stopped showing up because the team was shitty.  And they're showing up now because the team is showing signs of being good again.  The student section was packed from 99-02 and we had assigned seat season tickets, tailgated all day, and rolled into the stadium 10-15 minutes before kick as god intended.

Edited by WBT

1 hour ago, Zone Read said:

This isn't some bitch-ass complaining.  This was a Cincinnati Who concert tragedy waiting to happen.   Look it up if you're too young to remember how 11 kids got trampled to death when a general admission concert opened the doors. 

I know a guy who made "I'll crawl over you to see The Who" T-shirts after that happened.

17 minutes ago, WBT said:

The students stopped showing up because the team was shitty.  And they're showing up now because the team is showing signs of being good again.  The student section was packed from 99-02 and we had assigned seat season tickets, tailgated all day, and rolled into the stadium 10-15 minutes before kick as god intended.

I miss these days. I was a grad student in 05 and had assigned season ticket seating. The seats were packed by kickoff. I can’t imagine having to wait in line and not be tailgating. 

1 minute ago, MrBig said:

I miss these days. I was a grad student in 05 and had assigned season ticket seating. The seats were packed by kickoff. I can’t imagine having to wait in line and not be tailgating. 

Maybe for night games.   Definitely were not for 11AM games.  Which are inevitable.

26 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Maybe for night games.   Definitely were not for 11AM games.  Which are inevitable.

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

By the time the 1960s rolled around, we card section drunks were too inebriated to get the right color panels up when instructed by someone down front. After a while it became an entertainment thing to screw it up.

28 minutes ago, MrBig said:

we had a large group and sat in the flashcard section when i was there from 00 - 04.  most day games the student sections were not full.  

It seems to me that a bunch of you skipped the link i posted last night.

Let me be crystal clear on this topic.

On 15 April 1989, Liverpool and Nottingham Forest were drawn for an FA Cup Semifinal to be played at a neutral site, the home of Sheffield Wednesday, Hillsborough Stadium.

What happened that day has become known as the Hillsborough Disaster.

96 Liverpool supporters died and 766 were injured PRECISELY for the same idiotic incompetent decisions and rationale which created the pics we've seen upthread of several thousand students jammed together, unable to move, with no information, and not an AD employee, hired security staff member, or APD officer in sight.

Somebody with access SEND THIS FUCKING LINK TO CDC STAT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster

I can solve the entire situation with a solution that:

1. Prevents another Hillsborough

2. Insures the kids are hydrated

3. Eliminates the ingress/egress incompetence for them and everyone else

4. Allows the kids to party/tailgate up until 1 hour before kickoff

and

5. Retains the desired crowd/supporters vibe

The solution will require a _competent_ staff of 20 with 20 additional volunteers for a total of 5 hours on gameday, plus an additional budget of $10000 per game for "materials".  One may surmise the cut of the jib.

I will take the time to write it up if I am connected directly to CDC with an email account that I know he will actually read.

I don't do social media.

• Like 1

As you know, at Hillsborough, the pens were already overcrowded standing room only sections when a gate outside the stadium was opened and thousands of fans then rushed into the center tunnels, crushing the people at the front of the section against immovable iron fences.

Here, the students were just packed like sardines but moving slowly through the tunnels to get to the seating sections where there was plenty of space, nothing at the front for kids to be crushed against.  None of the videos I've seen show any kind of stampeding or trampling situation.  Too crowded yes, but it seems to me the problem is they only allowed people through one set of tunnels (upper or lower, not sure which) that didn't have the capacity for 15k students at once.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Like 1

there is a simple way to solve this. they need to have a metal barrier pathway that goes from the student entrance to the stairway of the section for students.  give each student a ACL festival type wristband and put it on tight.  start letting students in 2 hours before kick and anyone not there 30 minutes before kick does not get in if it is already full.

have actual campus police monitor the initial entrance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

there is a simple way to solve this. they need to have a metal barrier pathway that goes from the student entrance to the stairway of the section for students.  give each student a ACL festival type wristband and put it on tight.  start letting students in 2 hours before kick and anyone not there 30 minutes before kick does not get in if it is already full.

have actual campus police monitor the initial entrance.

you have 3 of the 20+ attributes of an actual solution.

@qpr, yes, i understand Hillsborough quite well.

Texas Tech has always done the student seating this way and I don't remember any deaths (well, human deaths.  sorry couldn't resist) from getting the to seats.  This includes them ripping out several benches during the game and brave GAP kid leading the charge with the goalposts just behind him.  CDC is adamant that the student section is going to be first come first served because it does get the students in early and helps create a better game atmosphere.  When traveling to the hub city for away games, I kinda scoffed at all the students lining up for 6+ hours just to get themselves in the game.  Everyone else is in the parking lot tailgating etc.. while they looked pretty damn miserable just standing in line.  The line was long AF, cordoned off with portable metal barriers that snaked back and forth.

Did i like the fact that I could get an assigned seat back in my time on campus?  Hell yes.  It was convenient, I could tailgate or hit up a bar right up to kick.  But, yeah, Tech's student section was always rowdier then ours.  always filled at kickoff and the most fanatical students were close to the action.  This is mid 90's

So, it's huge trade off.  If I was a student I can't say I would not bitch about it.  But it seems this is the new norm and they are going to have to get used it.  But the gameday staff is also going to have to get better and I think they will.     

• Like 1

Every large NCAA sporting event Forum has the same complaint over and over and it is never addressed by the AD.  Get rid of the loud music and let the band play.  Why is this so damned difficult to understand?  I'm told it is for the team and not the fans but I seriously doubt they are waiting for their "favorite number" to be played.  At least have the guts to tell everyone why they refuse to address the situation.

WFAA just showed phone video of kids getting trampled, then proceeded to bitch about the LSU band having to be in the upper deck!  They couldn't even be a factor!  What goes around comes around!

Yes, seriously, Cynthia Izzaguirre (North Texas) and Chris Lawrence (Maryland) just proceeded to shit all over us for 60 seconds in the middle of a 6pm newscast.

This is what we are up against.

Do that to aggy and the WFAA switchboard would burn.

18 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Called Coach O on his bald fat face lie.

That response should be sent to every media outlet that ran with the bullshit story today. Smother those mofo liars with it.

Good luck with that one. Burrow will win Heisman thanks to TO, EdO is a big game hunter and sec....

Not one comment about sec officials and that bs roughing the qb. No holding on Coburn or Roach all night long. Fake injuries by their defense all night long. 

Edited by Goodman

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Penn State has the largest student section in the country and its first-come, first-served. And Beaver Stadium is a erector set claustrophobic clusterfuck of a stadium of the highest order. 

Texas students are far smarter than those mouthbreathers. It isn’t rocket science.  

Apologies if I missed it, but I don't know the answer.

For the Texas students, if it is first come first serve to the seats... how do they know the capacity for those sections and when they are full?  Is the gate keeping actually done at the gate or are they letting in more students that can fit into the allotted sections?

Can someone explain to me how it works or point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Here, the students were just packed like sardines but moving slowly through the tunnels to get to the seating sections where there was plenty of space, nothing at the front for kids to be crushed against.

Pretty sure the first pic that surfaced pregame from that chick that was ridiculed showed kids up against a closed gate waiting for it to open.

https://www.businessinsider.com/texas-lsu-band-nosebleed-seats-2019-9?utm_source=hearst&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=allverticals

The fake news locker room story and the national media story calling the LSU band seating "petty" is receiving coverage.

Are there other stadiums that seat the visiting band that high ?    Not the ones I have visited. 

1 hour ago, torre said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/texas-lsu-band-nosebleed-seats-2019-9?utm_source=hearst&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=allverticals

The fake news locker room story and the national media story calling the LSU band seating "petty" is receiving coverage.

I have never in my life seen an opposing fanbase so upset after WINNING the goddamn game.  Damn near every other thread on  sec rant's first page is some LSU bitch whining about this slight or that.  It's unreal.

• Like 3

I have never in my life seen an opposing fanbase so upset after WINNING the goddamn game.  Damn near every other thread on  sec rant's first page is some LSU bitch whining about this slight or that.  It's unreal.

Seriously, they have to be the whiniest fan base in America. I can only imagine how Bama fans feels dealing with these dipshits every year.

1 hour ago, torre said:

Are there other stadiums that seat the visiting band that high ?    Not the ones I have visited. 

no one gives a fuck about the away teams band....unless it is Rice.  when I go to an away stadium and I buy a ticket, I expect to have a seat to watch my team play the home team and that is it.  why is the SEC such a bunch of pussies?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

Seriously, they have to be the whiniest fan base in America. I can only imagine how Bama fans feels dealing with these dipshits every year.

Having whiny fans is one thing, we have plenty of whiny fans. Having high ranking employees of LSU making up lies and smearing UT Austin publicly is something very different.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Is that where we normally put the visiting band? Any evidence we were being petty to LSU in some way? What did we even have to be petty about?

I know ESPN mic’d the LSU band up on TV. After ever positive play for LSU it sounded like they were on the field. I couldn’t really hear the Texas band. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

yes that is the normal spot

So it was not petty at all and totally normal. So another smear and baseless attack. Though after what they have already concocted I shouldn't be surprised.

What the hell is the LSU Administration trying to do here? What do they have to gain by doing this garbage? They cannot just announce that it was a great game and we cannot wait until next year in Baton Rouge? They have to try to burn all their bridges and try to humiliate us?

holy shit, if this pussy fanbase and team ever left their precious shithole in the south and went somewhere where they truly don't give a fuck about an opposing team or its crappy fans, lets just say, Columbus, i think they'd start sucking their fuckin thumbs right then and there. I thought they sposed to be SEC, but they're the biggest cryboys outside of aggy.

• Like 1

Pretty sure that most of the secsec teams only allow the visiting team to bring a "pep" band and not the whole marching band...costs being a factor...plus not always a place to sit.  I remember going to South Bend game against Notre Dame and their band stood against the inside walls of the field, no seats...and Texas had a pep band.  I guess the LSU band was lucky to have a seat at all.

8 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

So it was not petty at all and totally normal. So another smear and baseless attack. Though after what they have already concocted I shouldn't be surprised.

What the hell is the LSU Administration trying to do here? What do they have to gain by doing this garbage? They cannot just announce that it was a great game and we cannot wait until next year in Baton Rouge? They have to try to burn all their bridges and try to humiliate us?

large.902854595_celconteband.jpeg.69abdf41e1f9c1ad018c01f31125419c.jpeg

23 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

1) it seems like concession booth sloth is a universal problem at sporting events anywhere other than Circuit of the Americas. I've never had a problem at a music venue but at sportsball events, I can't remember ever getting something quickly. 

2) I don't think cash is faster in this day and age. These concession goobers, you seen them count the change from a ten on $6.41? "One... two... three... four.... no wait, three... carry the seven..."

I went to a Bayern Munich game last winter and they have a great system.  They have a bank of booths in front of the stadium to buy their concession card.  It is the only form of payment they take inside the stadium for any concessions (fan shops still takes cash or card).  You preload it, go in, and have a good time.  Obviously for season ticket holders its great, because you just load it up big before the first game and then reload closer to the end of the season and dont have to deal with the outside booths very much.  For one game, its somewhat a PITA because you have to go refund whatever is remaining on your card before catching the train.  Very efficient though, no fooling with random cards, or doling out change.  Just swipe and go.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, torre said:

"Are there other stadiums that seat the visiting band that high ?    Not the ones I have visited."

...no one will answer this question 

10 minutes ago, swatmitchell said:

"Are there other stadiums that seat the visiting band that high ?    Not the ones I have visited."

...no one will answer this question 

Lots of band nerds chiming in on their experiences around the country.  

Edited by TXSG8R