Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

1 hour ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

He came and spoke to one of my classes on Thursday and got asked a thinly-veiled question about the decision-making process for hiring/firing coaches. He (rather strongly) opined that the turnover we've seen in the head coach position and the AD's office has been a significant negative factor in recent years. Stressed that stability/continuity were paramount at the point in the program's re-development. Granted, that could just be his "public" opinion, but, for better or worse, I don't see Herman going anywhere within the next two-three years unless things get really bad.

FWIW.

You don’t think he’d say “yea Herman is out on his ass after this season” to a bunch of snot nosed sophomores do you?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You don’t think he’d say “yea Herman is out on his ass after this season” to a bunch of snot nosed sophomores do you?

If you had reading comprehension you'd realize I addressed this in the last sentence. And I think the tens of thousands of dollars I spent to be in these classes gives me the right to point out that this is a course in the MBA program.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

If you had reading comprehension you'd realize I addressed this in the last sentence. And I think the tens of thousands of dollars I spent to be in these classes gives me the right to point out that this is a course in the MBA program.

Neat bro

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Snot-nosed graduate students. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Is it really that absurd for cdc to get rid of the entire 120th ranked of 130 defensive coaching staff?  

Seriously, are there any negatives?  Is there a modern day joe Jamail  watching Herman’s back?  I always thought that was the only thing that prevented someone from making Brown do the right thing.  

I have confidence cdc has the professionalism to step up and do the right thing.  Less than a month away.  Don’t wait for a bowl game. 

7 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Snot nosed grad school kids.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Students at UT Austin pay about twenty cents on the dollar of the actual cost of their education.

You might want to keep that in mind before being condescending, and thumping yourself on the chest about what perceived “rights” you insist you are entitled to. 

No one here is impressed by how much you spent to attend UT. Next time, just answer the question. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Next time do a degree that gives you an assistantship. Your stipend is <30k but it's still a stipend and you don't pay tuition.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

Students at UT Austin pay about twenty cents on the dollar of the actual cost of their education.

You might want to keep that in mind before being condescending, and thumping yourself on the chest about what perceived “rights” you insist you are entitled to. 

No one here is impressed by how much you spent to attend UT. Next time, just answer the question. 

I like your brother Mortimer better but thanks for having my back.  Ooooihhh mba.  Scary

• Like 1

I do not think Herman is going anywhere, nor should he, yet.  However, if CDC is the AD I think he is, and hear he is, he and Herman will be having a very candid conversation about yesterday's press conference.  The Head Coach at the University of Texas cannot act like a petulant child every time he is asked a tough question.  And frankly, the media doesn't even ask the tough questions.  It's a bad look.

I do think his hand will be forced in making staff changes.

I want to see what happens with the Women's Soccer coach (assuming they don't make the tournament) before I completely decide one way or another.  The team is loaded with talent, played an easy schedule, and most likely will not make the tournament.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

I do not think Herman is going anywhere, nor should he, yet.  However, if CDC is the AD I think he is, and hear he is, he and Herman will be having a very candid conversation about yesterday's press conference.  The Head Coach at the University of Texas cannot act like a petulant child every time he is asked a tough question.  And frankly, the media doesn't even ask the tough questions.  It's a bad look.

I want to see what happens with the Women's Soccer coach (assuming they don't make the tournament) before I completely decide one way or another.  The team is loaded with talent, played an easy schedule, and most likely will not make the tournament.

I am sure there are literally dozens of people holding their breath about the women's soccer coach decision.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

She just got extended a few months back, non-revenue, she recruited those players and has a top 21 class, she sucks at coaching and should be replace but that contract. Add that you have revenue sports needing lots of attention with Tom, Karen and Shaka...lots of bigger fish to fry.

Edited by Goodman

11 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

She just got extended a few months back, non-revenue, she recruited those players and has a top 21 class, she sucks at coaching and should be replace but that contract. Add that you have revenue sports needing lots of attentions with Tom running a dumb organization, Karen and Shaka...lots of bigger fish to fry.

Agreed, that's why I want to see what happens.  You gave all of the reasons the team should have made the tournament.  Even though it's non-rev, I think how he handles Soccer will be indicative of how he'll handle football or basketball.  Whether it's small staff changes, whole sale changes, or a new HC, I just think what he does with soccer will give us an idea of what to expect in other sports.

21 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

CDC will not concern himself with the employment status of any assistant coach or staffer, unless it is a "with cause" issue that involved the public reputation of the program. Tom Herman will be held accountable for his long term stewardship of the program, including his decisions involving his assistant coaching staff. CDC is not going to force Herman to make a coaching change and then hold Herman responsible for the performance of an assistant coach that was forced upon him against his wishes. That is not how CDC operates.

@RandoIph Duke you are a little out over your skis on part of your comments.  While CDC won't  tell Herman who he should hire as assistants, I have no doubt that CDC will have no problem telling Mensa to replace certain assistants.  Don't be surprised when Mehringer is gone after 2019.

Edited by LTtxfan

3 hours ago, texashorn13 said:

We have a soccer team?

3 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

CDC is never going to micromanage any program or any coach. That just isn't his personality.

Tom Herman is still young to be heading up the biggest college football program (in terms of scope and revenues) in the nation. Yes, guys like Lincoln Riley are younger and kicking ass, but we have TH, not Lincoln.

In Herman's first year, he made some very questionable decisions involving personnel (Horny, Leitao) that unnecessarily cost him some goodwill with the alumni. He seems to have learned from the lesson. In his second year, for some reason, he wasn't doing what was necessary to have the team ready to play at the opening kickoff. That unnecessarily cost a couple of games, including Maryland. His demeanor in press conferences has been a work in progress, with a fair amount of improvement.

My point is that Herman has made some mistakes, but he doesn't seem to be repeating his mistakes and none of the mistakes he has made have been unforgivable.

CDC is going to give Herman time to develop as head coach of Texas football. That is, quite simply, how CDC operates. The fact he operates that way was one of the reasons he was chosen to lead Texas athletics. He is VERY deliberate, not prone to emotional reactions, and has a very long term horizon in mind for the direction of each and every program.

I was at the TCU game. I spoke to CDC about 45 mins after the game, as he was exiting Gate 4 to head down to where the team buses were waiting. He was not upset, worried, or unhappy. Nothing about his demeanor indicated to me he was going to involve himself with the decisions of Coach Herman. Rather, I had every reason to believe he was going to head down to the bus area, chat with parents, fans, and alumni, and head out to spend the evening socializing with friends from Fort Worth.

At the end of the season, CDC will meet with TH and discuss the state and the direction of the program. THAT is what CDC is focused on, not on how many rushing yards the team gave up, or how many missed tackles the defense blew. 

CDC will not concern himself with the employment status of any assistant coach or staffer, unless it is a "with cause" issue that involved the public reputation of the program. Tom Herman will be held accountable for his long term stewardship of the program, including his decisions involving his assistant coaching staff. CDC is not going to force Herman to make a coaching change and then hold Herman responsible for the performance of an assistant coach that was forced upon him against his wishes. That is not how CDC operates.

Was someone else posting as you a couple of weeks ago?

11 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

I wonder how CDC will handle the “BMDs” pressure that will be inevitable if we end the season poorly...

With major realignment upcoming with the expiration of the GOR, the way CDC managed both the SEZ and the new arena, no BMD is going to force out CDC because he refuses to micromanage the defensive assistants on the football team. 

No BMD is providing enough of the $400 million in total revenue expected to be reported this year by UT Athletics to be allowed to individually micromanage the football program over CDC’s objections. 

14 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

With major realignment upcoming with the expiration of the GOR, the way CDC managed both the SEZ and the new arena, no BMD is going to force out CDC because he refuses to micromanage the defensive assistants on the football team. 

No BMD is providing enough of the $400 million in total revenue expected to be reported this year by UT Athletics to be allowed to individually micromanage the football program over CDC’s objections. 

@Randolph Duke greetings kind sir, what on earth can you actually tell us regarding the current state of the SEZ renovation/expansion project?  will this project actually become the "best in the nation" as coach herman has hereby often indicated?  shall it actually be better than the current ($29mm) state-of-the-art facility that LSU has just opened this season?  what about the gorgeous new weight room facility that has just opened at aTm this season as well? (which by the way, where on earth do they keep coming up with all of the funding for their brand new and state-of-the-art facilities?  heck, aTm has just opened up a magnificent and state-of-the-art on-campus MARCHING BAND FACILITY(TEXAS has nothing like it) (where do they keep acquiring the funding for these magnificent facilities/additions in lieu of the nearly $500mm that they have just doled out for the complete renovation of KYLE FIELD?)

therefore, what shall set the SEZ project apart from all of these current projects that are constantly opening-up across our state and nation?  what is the actual full cost of the SEZ project... is it ($175mm) as was first reported... or ($200mm) which is the sum that is being presented to the recruits and their respective families upon those mail-outs that they receive from the athletics department?

now for the MILLION DOLLAR QUERY... that no-one seems to be able to come forth and actually answer... shall the MONCRIEF/NEUHAUS facility be torn down completely and reconstructed?  shall it be just completely renovated from the ground-up?  what is actually going to happen with said facility and why does it seem as though CDC and company are afraid to be forthright with LONGHORN NATION and reveal the facts regarding this particular project...?

what is actually going to set this prospective and very important TEXAS project apart from all of the rest across the nation?  will it actually be the BEST upon completion?

Edited by gclass
  • Fuck You 10

5 minutes ago, gclass said:

what about the gorgeous new weight room facility that has just opened at aTm this season as well? (which by the way, where on earth do they keep coming up with all of the funding for their brand new and state-of-the-art facilities?  heck, aTm has just opened up a magnificent and state-of-the-art on-campus MARCHING BAND FACILITY(TEXAS has nothing like it) (where do they keep acquiring the funding for these magnificent facilities/additions in lieu of the nearly $500mm that they have just doled out for the complete renovation of KYLE FIELD?)

Their campus shall still remain a shithole.

9 minutes ago, gclass said:

@Randolph Duke greetings kind sir, what on earth can you actually tell us regarding the current state of the SEZ renovation/expansion project?  will this project actually become the "best in the nation" as coach herman has hereby often indicated?  shall it actually be better than the current ($29mm) state-of-the-art facility that LSU has just opened this season?  what about the gorgeous new weight room facility that has just opened at aTm this season as well? (which by the way, where on earth do they keep coming up with all of the funding for their brand new and state-of-the-art facilities?  heck, aTm has just opened up a magnificent and state-of-the-art on-campus MARCHING BAND FACILITY(TEXAS has nothing like it) (where do they keep acquiring the funding for these magnificent facilities/additions in lieu of the nearly $500mm that they have just doled out for the complete renovation of KYLE FIELD?)

therefore, what shall set the SEZ project apart from all of these current projects that are constantly opening-up across our state and nation?  what is the actual full cost of the SEZ project... is it ($175mm) as was first reported... or ($200mm) which is the sum that is being presented to the recruits and their respective families upon those mail-outs that they receive from the athletics department?

now for the MILLION DOLLAR QUERY... that no-one seems to be able to come forth and actually answer... shall the MONCRIEF/NEUHAUS facility be torn down completely and reconstructed?  shall it be just completely renovated from the ground-up?  what is actually going to happen with said facility and why does it seem as though CDC and company are afraid to be forthright with LONGHORN NATION and reveal the facts regarding this particular project...?

what is actually going to set this prospective and very important TEXAS project apart from all of the rest across the nation?  will it actually be the BEST upon completion?

wow your word posts are even more of a beating than your picture posts

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 10:24 AM, Randolph Duke said:

My point is that Herman has made some mistakes, but he doesn't seem to be repeating his mistakes and none of the mistakes he has made have been unforgivable.

Well, this is true if you ignore the repeated mistakes on defense, fielding punts, fielding kickoffs, passes in the flat, no imagination on offense, inept play calling on 4th down...

6 minutes ago, landman said:

Well, this is true if you ignore the repeated mistakes on defense, fielding punts, fielding kickoffs, passes in the flat, no imagination on offense, inept play calling on 4th down...

So you want Chris Del Conte to start calling 4th down plays? Choosing players to play on special teams? Demanding Herman use an offensive play script given to him by Del Conte?

Or do you want to make it clear to the college football coaching profession that the head coach at UT Austin will retain his job partly based on the metric of 4th down play calling. Go for it on 4th down and don't make it often enough to please the masses, and the coach will be summarily fired (considering Herman's contract is guaranteed through 2023, some coaches would LOVE to have a guaranteed contract to UT and be fired based on their 4th down percentage).

Thankfully, Chris Del Conte is not going to fire the head football coach based on the team punt return yardage. His evaluation of the direction of the program goes a bit deeper than that. Which is why he got the job as AD at UT Austin.

CDC is far more concerned about how to best position UT athletics, and especially UT football, going into the expiration of the GOR and the upcoming round of realignment. Tom Herman isn't getting fired unless he starts posting consecutive losing seasons. Period.

Even if Herman goes 8-5 for the next three years, Tom Herman isn't going to get fired. Period.

The memory of Charlie Strong should still be fresh in the minds of the alumni. That was a disaster. IF CDC fired Herman, hired another coach that didn't pan out (Strong, Frost, Taggart, take your pick), it would negatively affect UT's negotiating position during the upcoming realignment and negotiation of new media rights contract. If that were to happen, it would cost UT Austin hundreds of millions of dollars. If Herman were to get fired and Texas would to being in a coach who won the conference in 2020, 2021, 2022, it wouldn't materially elevate UT's position during realignment.

And by "realignment," I am not talking about two teams switching from one conference to another. I would not be surprised in the least to see the most radical realignment ever. Terminate existing conferences, create whole new ones. A school whose football team is in one conference for football could see the basketball team in a completely different conference for basketball, and in another conference for baseball.

The reality is that we are in the window for negotiating realignment and restructuring of college athletics in 2023. Chris Del Conte isn't going to do anything radical (such as fire the football coach for going 8-5) leading up to 2023. Period.

7 hours ago, gclass said:

Well, for starters, we don’t hire Soviet architects to design our campus buildings... except for Jester. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 1

[mention=840]RandoIph Duke[/mention] you are a little out over your skis on part of your comments.  While CDC won't  tell Herman who he should hire as assistants, I have no doubt that CDC will have no problem telling Mensa to replace certain assistants.  Don't be surprised when Mehringer is gone after 2019.

Based on what?

HC and AD have all made their value or continuity clear. Herman in particular appears to believe in what coaches like Mehringer and Orlando are doing given that he hasn't forced any corrections.

The ones "out over their skis" are the ones convinced wholesale staff changes are coming. That's based on nothing but fan fiction. Mehringer will absolutely be back. Orlando will probably be back.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Based on what?

HC and AD have all made their value or continuity clear. Herman in particular appears to believe in what coaches like Mehringer and Orlando are doing given that he hasn't forced any corrections.

The ones "out over their skis" are the ones convinced wholesale staff changes are coming. That's based on nothing but fan fiction. Mehringer will absolutely be back. Orlando will probably be back.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CDC will allow Tom Herman to keep or fire whichever assistants TH wants. Without cause, Del Conte is never going to demand a head coach in any sport fire an assistant and hire one more to his liking, then hold the head coach accountable for the performance of the team lead by the assistants imposed by the AD. That is not how CDC operates.

Personally, I don't think CDC has a clue about the football team's punt return yards, the women's basketball team's free throw average, the number of errant serves by the volleyball team, the OBP of the shortstop on the softball team, or the split times of the crew team. Nor should he. He doesn't operate that way.