Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

I lean more toward the fraud department.  It’s one thing to do easy stuff like let the students in the baseball game free, which was great pr for the athletic department, but here is what will probably happen:

1. We finish 8 and 4 plus another last minute bowl win.  Final ranking of 15 to 20.

2.  Majority of the conference folds in bowl games.

Tom meets cdc, uses injury excuse, our final ranking is 3rd in conference and claims no staff changes needed.  Cdc counters with you’ve got to give me somebody, so I can say we’re making changes, so Tom offers some no name assistant.  Hopefully no extension for Tom, and cdc tells Tom he must see improvement on defense in 20, or TO is gone after 20.  

I think some variation of that scenario will happen unless one of two events happens.  Either we win four games in a row or lose four in a row.  

We still have TO as dc, so chances of winning four in a row seem to be about 1 in a 1000.  Losing 4 in a row probably 1 in a 100. 

Good.   On top of all that he's done, Del Conte has also effectively neutered Polonsky.   The latter is probably worth a raise by itself. 

AUSTIN – The University of Texas System board of regents is expected to approve an annual salary increase in excess of $500,000 for vice president and athletics director Chris Del Conte, per this week’s agenda book. Del Conte’s contract with the school, which ran through 2024, would also be extended through 2027.

The amendment to Del Conte’s employment agreement was approved by the Chancellor, the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, and the Vice Chancellor and General Counsel and was recommended to the board for final approval.

If approved by the board Del Conte's base salary in Fiscal Year 2020 would rise from $1.54 million to $2.08 million. He is guaranteed $2.45 million in the final year of this amended contract.

He also remains eligible for annual performance payments, maxing out at $150,000 from 2020-22, $200,000 from 2023-24 and $250,000 from 2025-27.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/longhorns/article/Texas-AD-Chris-Del-Conte-set-to-receive-14829724.php

• Like 2

CDC hasn’t run a football team in his life but some of y’all want to give him operational control of the football team... yalls short sighted reactions in your football-based anger would be funnier if you ever realized how absurd they are and let them go. But in their longevity, it’s more sad than funny.

Edited by The Earl of Texas
  • Like 5

I’m all for the passion exhibited regarding most of this, but if Tom wants To keep Todd (god knows why I’m just being hypothetical) and has compelling reasons as the HC, I doubt CDC would think himself to know more than the HC on the subject.

If Herman refuses to change DCs, and it doesn’t work out, doesn’t forcing Tom to change coaches just band-aid the issue? Forever having to do the HCs job for him would make you a shitty AD IMO.

Let him fail and then fire him, and go hire a coach who will succeed. Or allow him to steer his ship to safety and come off looking like you had wonderful foresight. ADs should foster successful environments for, or hire badass HCs, not provide crutches to reigning underachievers who you think can’t even assemble a competent staff.

• Like 3

Well, a real AD sets the standard for the programs he presides over.  7-6 or 8-5 in year three is probably not the standard.  Having a candid discussion about it with the coach is probably well within the ambit of an active AD.  Particularly when certain units of the team are outstandingly bad.

Also, I think an active AD can and should run active interference between the alumni and the coach(es).  As in "Tom, I'm not going to tell you what to do.  What I will tell you is that if things don't change, I can't protect you from the alumni for long or anymore.  Now, as far as change goes, improvement in the record is the bottom line, but I think if you make some changes in your staff, you will give yourself some more time and goodwill as far as your record goes.  I know that things happen, but you have pretty historically bad defense and special teams, do you think you can improve things there with a coaching change?  Also, why the imbalance between offensive and defensive coaches and analysts, don't you think maybe you should even that up? Make some changes now, and you may buy yourself an extra loss or two next season without ramifications, otherwise  . . . . "

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah if the AD has to come in and tell the HC how to run his staff, the HC is probably already a failure. But maybe somebody can tell me of that time that that situation worked out great.

Cajun Cookie Monster might be on thin ice if Joe Brady had not been hired...

9 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I’m all for the passion exhibited regarding most of this, but if Tom wants To keep Todd (god knows why I’m just being hypothetical) and has compelling reasons as the HC, I doubt CDC would think himself to know more than the HC on the subject.

If Herman refuses to change DCs, and it doesn’t work out, doesn’t forcing Tom to change coaches just band-aid the issue? Forever having to do the HCs job for him would make you a shitty AD IMO.

Let him fail and then fire him, and go hire a coach who will succeed. Or allow him to steer his ship to safety and come off looking like you had wonderful foresight. ADs should foster successful environments for, or hire badass HCs, not provide crutches to reigning underachievers who you think can’t even assemble a competent staff.

In a college athletics program the size and scope of UT Austin's the AD doesn't have the time or the energy to micromanage the performance of UT's 45 assistant coaches. Each of UT's 16 head coaches are hired to handle assistant coaching matters. If the head coach is incapable of managing his chosen staff, then the wrong person is head coach of the program.

CDC manages a staff that supports 20 separate sports programs and 700 athletes. Current schedules, future schedules, budgets, equipment requests, purchases, and deliveries. Conference relationships. Matters involving the NCAA in Indianapolis. Broadcast partners. Game day operations. Facilities maintenance and construction. Alumni relations. Internal school administrative matters. Longhorn Foundation. Concessions and catering. Spirit groups. Administration of a staff in the hundreds. Those are the concerns of the AD. CDC is FAR more focused on matters such as ticket requests from members of the legislature than he is on the day-to-day performance of the subordinates of his subordinates.

Also, the influential alumni members are pretty much on the same page as CDC. Many of them have managed large, complex organizations. They know the leader cannot micromanage the responsibilities of those to which management responsibilities have been designated. The shrill voices demanding knee-jerk intervention by the AD are largely ignored. If UT football wins three of the next four games, those same shrill voices will fall silent. Those voices are Tom Herman's problem, not CDC's.

As things stand, total 2019 home attendance is just over 484,000 for 5 home games (96,816 average vs 97,713 average for 2018). With the loss of seats in the SEZ factored into attendance numbers, CDC isn't concerned in the least that the performance of an assistant football coach is negatively affecting the long term health of the football program.

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

Texas AD Del Conte set to get pay raise and contract extension

By  FUCK CHIP BROWN     (12 hours ago)

AUSTIN, Texas — The University of Texas regents board is expected to approve a $500,000-per-year raise and contract extension through 2027 for athletic director Chris Del Conte.  Del Conte's new deal would give him a guaranteed, eight-year contract totaling $18.02 million through August 2027, plus a total of $1.6 million in non-guaranteed, annual performance payments.

Del Conte took over as athletic director in December of 2017 and is currently overseeing $760 million in facility upgrades - ranging from a $250 million renovation of Royal-Memorial Stadium to construction of a $388 million basketball arena due to be completed in 2022. Fund-raising for athletics has skyrocketed under Del Conte's watch.  Del Conte has improved the game-day atmosphere in and around Royal-Memorial Stadium with the creation of Bevo Blvd., Smokey's Midway and pre-game musical performances known as Longhorn City Limits. During games, Del Conte has gotten rid of a 60-page script of in-game reads and activities and replaced it with a one-page script that emphasizes pump-up music and video displays as opposed to sponsor mentions.  After a 10-win season in football, Del Conte chose not to raise season ticket prices and instead raised the price on individual tickets. Texas set a new record for season-ticket sales, surpassing 63,600 (the previous record set before the 2010 season).

If the UT regents approve new contract terms for Del Conte, his salary will increase from $1.58 million in 2020 to $2.08 million.  Del Conte’s salary in 2021 would be $2.12 million and then increase by $50,000 annually through 2025 ($2.32 million).  In 2026, Del Conte’s salary would increase to $2.385 million and then jump to $2.455 million in 2027.  Del Conte’s new contract also includes annual performance bonuses of $150,000 in 2020, 2021 and 2022; $200,000 in 2023 and 2024; and $250,000 in 2025-27.  Del Conte’s contract calls for an annual deferred compensation payment of $250,000 each year from 2020-24 - a total of $1.25 million that would vest to Del Conte no earlier than Nov. 1, 2024.  If Del Conte is terminated without cause, he’d receive the amount remaining on the unexpired term of the contract discounted by 4 percent to be paid in a single lump sum within 30 days of the dismissal. 

Under Del Conte's original contract, he was set to receive a guaranteed, $9.9 million through 2024 with $850,000 in non-guaranteed, performance bonus compensation. Del Conte was also set to receive a one-time retention bonus of $400,000 if still employed as athletic director as of Aug. 31, 2024.  Under the original contract, if Del Conte was terminated without cause, he'd receive $1.2 million for each year remaining on the contract unless he received other employment, in which case, his new salary would've offset his termination compensation 100 percent.

In Del Conte's nearly two years on the job, he has hired a new softball coach (former Oregon coach Mike White) and track coach (former Kentucky coach Edrick Floreal). 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-athletic-director-Chris-Del-Conte-set-to-get-pay-raise-and-contract-extension-138492308/

• Like 1

Good. This fucking moron can show is ass and weapons-grade ignorance in 2 threads. The whole board is better off realizing just how stupid this renob truly is, even if he doesn't. 

LOL at the UT boosters being on board with poor coaching performance from assistants. The boosters are the ones screaming the loudest, and they're the ones that write the checks, and they're the ones that demand a return on their investment. Those 10 million dollar Founder's Suites in the SEZ come with full access to CDC, and those guys are happy to leverage that regularly. Also, it's so fucking laughable to sit there and talk about scheduling, equipment, budget, etc, for all the programs at UT as if they're all equal and CDC treats them all equally, or that any AD would treat them all equally. Football makes the money, it is the straw that stirs the drink, it gets special attention at every major program. This is obvious to literally every person on this message bard except for fucking Lenny over there tending to his rabbits. 

• Like 7

It's bizarre witnessing the conflating of the concept of a boss being involved with who is doing what two levels below his rank and what people think about CDC's responsibilities. Anyone running orgs or large teams depends upon their immediate reports to win in their own right inside of their departments or divisions. Guys who do not do that, do not last long with a big remit. That considered, good leadership will know what's going on with key employees several levels below, even 3-4 levels below in certain roles and circumstances. I would guess anyone on this board with any experience dealing with orgs of 50 or more people will understand this unless they are truly new in their career or simply some small soldier in the regime that may not care because they're just passing through, such as a waiter, janitor, flight attendant, receptionist. 

Yet somehow, because this is Texas sports we're talking about, it's all so much different and larger for the people in charge. Running a $250million remit, with 300 people in it and a big brand makes it all totally incomprehensible for the rest of us. Right. It's all the fucking same. Del Conte understands the staff for the football team at Texas. He knows and speaks with the GAs, trainers, etc., on up. He knows them by name and will chat with them in the hallways. I've had a fucking GA tell me that. It isn't surprising. That's good leadership. While he's unlikely to be naming who comes and goes, he's absolutely going to be aware of who is performing and who isn't, what their qualifications are, and where they're headed. He's going to want to understand Herman's view on the same, and what his plans are for the future within his realm. 

Anyone taking a position counter to this doesn't know a fucking thing about the program, or, really, about how the real world functions on any meaningful level.

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 9

41 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Good. This fucking moron can show is ass and weapons-grade ignorance in 2 threads. The whole board is better off realizing just how stupid this renob truly is, even if he doesn't. 

LOL at the UT boosters being on board with poor coaching performance from assistants. The boosters are the ones screaming the loudest, and they're the ones that write the checks, and they're the ones that demand a return on their investment. Those 10 million dollar Founder's Suites in the SEZ come with full access to CDC, and those guys are happy to leverage that regularly. Also, it's so fucking laughable to sit there and talk about scheduling, equipment, budget, etc, for all the programs at UT as if they're all equal and CDC treats them all equally, or that any AD would treat them all equally. Football makes the money, it is the straw that stirs the drink, it gets special attention at every major program. This is obvious to literally every person on this message bard except for fucking Lenny over there tending to his rabbits. 

Not to mention for every area of responsibility mentioned, CDC has the equivalent of a head coach running that shit.  And I am sure most of them are as or more autonomous than Herman.  Some of them are probably pretty competent, too, and need no oversight to achieve the equivalent of 10-win seasons year in and year out.

41 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, the other thread is kinda slow right now...

Transfer-House-1200.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yet somehow, because this is Texas sports we're talking about, it's all so much different and larger for the people in charge. Running a $250million remit, with 300 people in it and a big brand makes it all totally incomprehensible for the rest of us. Right. It's all the fucking same. Del Conte understands the staff for the football team at Texas. He knows and speaks with the GAs, trainers, etc., on up. He knows them by name and will chat with them in the hallways. I've had a fucking GA tell me that. It is isn't surprising. That's good leadership. While he's unlikely to be naming who comes and goes, he's absolutely going to be aware of who is performing and who isn't, what their qualifications are, and where they're headed. He's going to want to understand Herman's view on the same, and what his plans are for the future within his realm. 

know folks who say the same thing about his time at TCU, it is who he is and how he handles business (like any good leader) - this isn't something new with him.

On 11/9/2019 at 2:40 PM, SydneyCarton said:

There’s maybe 65k people in the stadium. Can some page Randolph Duke to confirm its a sellout? 

Other than about 1-2k empty seats in the student sections, it looked packed to me. I couldn’t see the upper SW sections, but I was impressed with the crowd. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

In a college athletics program the size and scope of UT Austin's the AD doesn't have the time or the energy to micromanage the performance of UT's 45 assistant coaches. Each of UT's 16 head coaches are hired to handle assistant coaching matters. If the head coach is incapable of managing his chosen staff, then the wrong person is head coach of the program.

I promise you, CDC is smart enough to look at the performance of each sport's team, determine if it's meeting his standard or not, and then determine why or why not. And if the answer is, "because the assistants are fucking up", he either will act to correct the problem or he's just another in the long, long, long line of enablers of mediocrity we've had on the Forty Acres in which case I guess we can all root for stability and profitability rather than winning anything worthwhile.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's bizarre witnessing the conflating of the concept of a boss being involved with who is doing what two levels below his rank and what people think about CDC's responsibilities. Anyone running orgs or large teams depends upon their immediate reports to win in their own right inside of their departments or divisions. Guys who do not do that, do not last long with a big remit. That considered, good leadership will know what's going on with key employees several levels below, even 3-4 levels below in certain roles and circumstances. I would guess anyone on this board with any experience dealing with orgs of 50 or more people will understand this unless they are truly new in their career or simply some small soldier in the regime that may not care because they're just passing through, such as a waiter, janitor, flight attendant, receptionist. 

Yet somehow, because this is Texas sports we're talking about, it's all so much different and larger for the people in charge. Running a $250million remit, with 300 people in it and a big brand makes it all totally incomprehensible for the rest of us. Right. It's all the fucking same. Del Conte understands the staff for the football team at Texas. He knows and speaks with the GAs, trainers, etc., on up. He knows them by name and will chat with them in the hallways. I've had a fucking GA tell me that. It isn't surprising. That's good leadership. While he's unlikely to be naming who comes and goes, he's absolutely going to be aware of who is performing and who isn't, what their qualifications are, and where they're headed. He's going to want to understand Herman's view on the same, and what his plans are for the future within his realm. 

Anyone taking a position counter to this doesn't know a fucking thing about the program, or, really, about how the real world functions on any meaningful level.

My favorite part about his post is the intellectual dishonesty (or autism, I’m really not sure which) of RD saying that Orlando is just one of a myriad of coaching assistants, GAs, athletes, AD employees, etc. It’s absolutely hilarious. The defensive coordinator at the University of Texas (especially with an offensive-minded HC) is easily one of the top 5 most important positions in all of UT athletics. To act like CDC can’t or won’t be bothered to have any say in that position’s performance is really scraping the bottom of the absurdity barrel, even for Surly. It’s hard to think of anything on that level, well, other than saying that keeping underperforming coaches in all of the big three sports for 8 years would create stability for realignment. 

• Like 1

To counterbalance the local perception of Orlan_o and his abilities, is there any support among big dogs, big cigars, or other speakers praising the results we're seeing? I haven't run across any such, but ...

EDIT: talking about people who might have CDC's attention...

Edited by Tex Long

45 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

RD's conception of the AD seems pretty consistent with what we know of how Dodds ran it.  Business director of the athletic department, not athletic director.

It tends to be that way when the coaching contracts the school signs specify the responsibilities of the head coach include hiring and firing assistant coaches and assessment of job performance. When those decisions are contractually delegated to the head coach, the AD stepping in to negate that provision of the contract often causes issues.

Herman's contract specifically states: "Coach agrees to conduct annual performance evaluations for all assistant coaches and other employees who report to Coach to ensure that such assistant coaches and other employees meet performance expectations and comply at all times with all Governing Athletics Rules and University Rules." (Sec 4 (C)10). His contract also expressly specifies his responsibilities include personnel supervision and evaluation and the overall effective performance of the Program’s student-athletes and coaching staff. (Sec 4(B))

Under the terms of his contract, it is Herman, as head coach, who gets to decide whether the performance of the assistant coaches meets expectations.

If Del Conte steps in and starts exercising authorities contractually delegated to Herman and superseding Herman's staff performance reviews, and Herman objects (as would be in right under the terms of the contract) does Del Conte fire Herman? And pay his the remaining $25.5 million guaranteed under the terms of his contract? Six months after Herman was granted a raise and extension?

And if Del Conte doesn't breach the terms of Herman's contract and start micromanaging the UT football program's staffing decisions, does Fenves fire Del Conte and pay him his $18.5 million buyout?

I am sure CDC will meet with Herman to discuss the direction of the football program. But, coming off a 10-win season and, at a minimum being bowl-eligible and with the stands still packed, Herman is not going to be fired for insisting on retaining an assistant coach of his choosing. The AD is not going to start micromanaging the performance reviews of individual head coaches. If he did, he would struggle badly finding coaches willing to work for him at any price.

People claiming otherwise are simply too emotionally invested in UT football to look at the situation rationally and objectively.

Edited by Randolph Duke

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

The defensive coordinator at the University of Texas (especially with an offensive-minded HC) is easily one of the top 5 most important positions in all of UT athletics. 

This is a good point.  You could make a good argument it's #2 as far as impacting the bottom line.   

16 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

It tends to be that way when the coaching contracts the school signs specify the responsibilities of the head coach include hiring and firing assistant coaches and assessment of job performance. When those decisions are contractually delegated to the head coach, the AD stepping in to negate that provision of the contract often causes issues.

Herman's contract specifically states: "Coach agrees to conduct annual performance evaluations for all assistant coaches and other employees who report to Coach to ensure that such assistant coaches and other employees meet performance expectations and comply at all times with all Governing Athletics Rules and University Rules." (Sec 4 (C)10). His contract also expressly specifies his responsibilities include personnel supervision and evaluation and the overall effective performance of the Program’s student-athletes and coaching staff. (Sec 4(B))

Under the terms of his contract, it is Herman, as head coach, who gets to decide whether the performance of the assistant coaches meets expectations.

If Del Conte steps in and starts exercising authorities contractually delegated to Herman and superseding Herman's staff performance reviews, and Herman objects (as would be in right under the terms of the contract) does Del Conte fire Herman? And pay his the remaining $25.5 million guaranteed under the terms of his contract? Six months after Herman was granted a raise and extension?

And if Del Conte doesn't breach the terms of Herman's contract and start micromanaging the UT football program's staffing decisions, does Fenves fire Del Conte and pay him his $18.5 million buyout?

I am sure CDC will meet with Herman to discuss the direction of the football program. But, coming off a 10-win season and, at a minimum being bowl-eligible and with the stands still packed, Herman is not going to be fired for insisting on retaining an assistant coach of his choosing. The AD is not going to start micromanaging the performance reviews of individual head coaches. If he did, he would struggle badly finding coaches willing to work for him at any price.

People claiming otherwise are simply too emotionally invested in UT football to look at the situation rationally and objectively.

Just when I think your posts can't be any more idiotic, you post this nonsense.  Seriously, do yourself a favor and delete your account.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

8 hours ago, Tex Long said:

To counterbalance the local perception of Orlan_o and his abilities, is there any support among big dogs, big cigars, or other speakers praising the results we're seeing? I haven't run across any such, but ...

EDIT: talking about people who might have CDC's attention...

You’ve come to the right place to ask questions of the big dogs and cigars. 

7 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

You’ve come to the right place to ask questions of the big dogs and cigars. 

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This makes sense to me. I don't know any big cigars or whatever, but given that Del Conte spends a lot of time answering bitchy tweets and talking to a bunch of random fans and alumni, I would expect him to definitely be more involved than certain other guys that were content to drive the bus off the cliff.

Edited by Bevo14

A few days ago, I sat by Chris del Conte at the Fallon taping on our campus.  A few days ago, I saw this Jamie Pollard guy at a job fair for disabled adults needing activities after corn harvest.  

Edited by Lobo

How are you confused?  It's meant to convey that CDC is on top of the world and this guy from Iowa State, in an effort to be funny, comes across as someone with a learning disability.  Or as they say in Iowa, upper management.  

dear cdc: if you won't fix this shit, you will end up burning for it too.  it's not permissible.  it's not our standard.  in fact it's so far below anyone's standard it's comical you haven't fired orlando yet.  screw program stability.  we demand accountability, or a letter of resignation above your signature.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Guess CDC will receive this tweet from Herman's people, aggy, and blOU 😠

would it be worth anyone's time for me to go through all the coaches that DIDN'T win multiple national championships after losing records in their third year? 

or is this particular fallacy just meant to be a smugface bumper sticker slogan?