Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

Ruh roh.  Was @Randolph Duke correct about stability?

cross posting from the phone # thread:

2 hours ago, torre said:

Excerpt from AAS:

Del Conte firmly remains in Herman’s corner, and it’s hard to blame him since he was the one who mistakenly extended the coach’s contract by two years after last season’s Sugar Bowl victory. 

Del Conte craves continuity and said Monday from his hospital bed after surgery for a torn labrum, bicep and rotator cuff, “We’ve got to create some stability, and we are. We’ve got work to do, and that’s what we’re doing. You have to trust the plan. We have to work our way out of this. Darrell Royal is not walking through that door.”

His may not be a blind leap of faith because Herman did go 10-4 in his second year, whip Georgia up and down the Superdome and split two games with Big 12 owner Oklahoma. The second season offered tremendous hope for 2019, but instead we’ve gotten a pedestrian offense, a wildly erratic and too often poor defense, and no momentum at all the second half of the season.

The fans are angry, and Del Conte should want them angry so long as they aren’t detached. This isn’t Herman’s first rodeo, but it’s his first major trouble after going 22-4 at Houston and now winning all three of his bowl games there and at Texas. He has to prove he can overcome this, but he’s never gone through anything quite like this, has he?

https://www.hookem.com/columns/bohls-tom-herman-chris-del-conte-firm-head-coachs-ability-fix-texas/

On 11/16/2019 at 4:30 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

dear cdc: if you won't fix this shit, you will end up burning for it too.  it's not permissible.  it's not our standard.  in fact it's so far below anyone's standard it's comical you haven't fired orlando yet.  screw program stability.  we demand accountability, or a letter of resignation above your signature.

Ha. Yes, it is our standard. We've sucked for 10 years now, outside of 1 Sugar Bowl win. We haven't been our standard since 2009. 

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Ruh roh.  Was @Randolph Duke correct about stability?

cross posting from the phone # thread:

awesome.  our AD quotes Jason Garrett and Rick Pitino.  yeah here we go again. see you guys in 2 years for the next chapter of "Texas Football - I'm pissed I'm stunned it's..."

we are angry because a) we've seen this movie before and already know how it ends and b) recent history with MANY programs shows that the movie has been remade over and over again.  Title - Year 3 not better, never going to get back.

He has to say what he is saying now and year 4 was a given after the extensions baring a 2 or 3 win season.  if we roll to the expected 7-5 next year fuck continuity.

Edited by dcar00

After Friday’s game, Del Conte met with a small group of reporters and recounted all the tumult the university went through this decade. Multiple chancellors, presidents, athletic directors and coaches came and left, creating unprecedented turnover in key positions.

“Our organization has gone through a great deal of change and disruption in a short period of time,” Del Conte wrote to fans, “and it came on the heels of being a bastion of stability for so long with legends like DeLoss Dodds, Mack Brown, Augie Garrido and Rick Barnes leading the way.”

"But now we are firing the entire football staff, so I have faith in Herman!!"

I think you guys are seriously underrating just how cool it will be for our fans to be in a club the players walk through to get to the field. Or for our fans to stand at field level and stare at the players asses while the game is going on. Or how you can go look at the artwork around the stadium if the game is boring you. And don't forget the giant TV. I mean we have one in Austin but it's not center hung. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I think you guys are seriously underrating just how cool it will be for our fans to be in a club the players walk through to get to the stadium. Or for our fans to stand at field level and stare at the players asses. Or how you can go look at the artwork around the stadium if the game is boring you.  

And selfies in front of Sky Mirror, and if it happened to be a 2:30 game the sun shining in your player's faces late in the 4th quarter.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

And don't forget the giant TV. I mean we have one in Austin but it's not center hung. 

It’s pretty awesome.  If you’re one of the majority of fans there with seats along either sideline or in an end zone, you can literally watch the whole game on it so you don’t even have to look at the field at all.  Don’t even need to be engaged in the game.  It’s almost as good as watching from home, only like 10 times more expensive.