Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

On 5/6/2020 at 7:02 PM, Jabberwocky said:

I mean, if you want the definition of a troll post, just look at your own. You categorically dismissed and trashed a message board poster and a bunch of schools for no real reason, except for the fact that it makes you feel better about yourself to do so. I guess that we can all sit here and continue to pretend that it was not a better Big 12 when they were members, that it does not suck now, and that we have great prospects for member expansion going into the future. That makes the current situation absolutely perfect, and absolves Deloss of any fault in the matter completely.

Oh, no...someone dismissed a message board poster. Call the Feds. Or, better yet, call the fake army to get pushed over by an SMU cheerleader. 

Stupid aggy.

Edited by Deej
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Nebraska was a huge loss. Yes I know they haven't been close to what they were under Osborne but they are still a blue blood in football and their name, history and tradition still pulls a lot of weight. Miss pushing their mud in.

FIFY

Taylor Estes: Rating the job of AD Chris Del Conte since his arrival at Texas

Each week, the Horns247 tackles the Question of the Week, where we dive into the hottest topics surrounding the University of Texas and beyond. This week’s question takes the focus away from student-athletes for a minute, and instead takes a look at the leader of Texas sports. Longhorns’ AD Chris Del Conte has been a busy man since he was hired at Texas two and a half years ago. In a short period of time, Del Conte has raised hundreds of millions of dollars for upgraded facilities, has revamped the Longhorns’ gameday experience for Texas football and other sports and has made some major hires in his short tenure.

With that said, the Question of the Week is … On a scale of 1-10, rate the job Chris Del Conte is doing and why?

Bobby Burton, Publisher

I mean this with all due respect to Mike Perrin, but comparing what he and Del Conte were able to accomplish in similar time frames shows just how valuable prior experience is when it comes to the position of the AD at a place like Texas. As for Del Conte himself, not only is he experienced, he’s also shown a level of aplomb with alumni that is outstanding. He hasn’t rankled the wrong alumni, and he’s raised funds at a record rate while starting construction projects that have been needed for years. His penchant for hiring good coaches in secondary sports like track and field, women’s basketball and softball has been impressive, too. I’d give him a 9 with a chance to go up from there. I like how he’s supported his football and basketball coaches, but ultimately those two programs have to win for an AD at Texas to get to a 10.

Chip Brown, Columnist

I thought about being the Olympic judge who refuses to give a 10, but then I thought about all the money Chris Del Conte has raised for the most sweeping upgrade of athletics facilities in school history as well as a complete makeover of UT football game days (Bevo Blvd., Longhorn City Limits, etc). I thought about the four coaches Del Conte has hired and how all of them will probably be in national-title contention within three years (with men's tennis already winning a national title under coach Bruce Berque). I thought about how he responds to endless questions on Twitter (still) and holds a town hall meeting every February to explain the athletic department budget and answer questions from those in the audience. I thought about how respected Del Conte is among his peers and about how the rest of the Big 12 should feel good about having a transparent, trustworthy leader at the top of the conference. And did I already mention Del Conte's fund-raising? This judge holds up a card reading: 10.

Jeff Howe, Senior Writer

I’d give Del Conte a 10 and I have no hesitation about giving him a perfect score. The biggest reason is he’s been exactly what the athletic department needed in terms of mending fences with a group of fans that by large, for lack of a better term, felt disenfranchised and disconnected from the university in the decade leading up to Del Conte’s arrival. To Del Conte, every fan matters. Certainly, there are folks who write big checks who need more of the athletic director’s time, but Del Conte has been exactly what Texas needed to galvanize a broken fan base. One could argue the university’s ability to connect with the common fan has never been better, which says a lot since the big three sports haven’t been consistent winners in more than a decade. As far as running the athletic programs itself, Del Conte has either given or is giving Tom Herman, David Pierce and Shaka Smart everything they could possibly need in order to compete at a championship level. The hires of Edrick Floreal and Mike White have been slam-dunk acquisitions and replacing Karen Aston with Vic Schafer is the kind of move that can allow the women’s basketball program the ability to consistently compete with Baylor for the Big 12 throne. One would have to nitpick to find an aspect of the job where Del Conte has missed the mark.

Taylor Estes, Managing Editor

Chris Del Conte has done more in two and a half years than the previous three athletic directors had accomplished in more than a decade. And I have no hesitation in saying that. Not only is Del Conte bringing in donations at an impressive rate, he’s also proven that he knows how to hire big-splash coaches. One could argue that none of the previous three ADs — DeLoss Dodds, Steve Patterson and Mike Perrin — were successful in hiring elite coaches in today’s game. (Obviously, Dodds hired a lot of solid coaches during his tenure, but his incompetence in the latter years of his time at Texas proved he lost touch with what it takes to run an elite athletic department.) I’m with Bobby on this and would give Del Conte a 9, with the only reason he doesn’t get a perfect score is because the football team has still lost at least four games each season since he was hired. But other than that, he’s been darn near perfect up to this point.

Nick Harris, Recruiting Reporter

I would put it at an 8.5. He's made the necessary hires to get Texas athletics on the course back to state supremacy and the play on the field/court is starting to show. Numerous facility upgrades are in the works as well that will build Texas athletics into a state-of-the-art program once again. I would personally like to see a little less hesitation in making necessary moves, but overall he is doing a great job.

On 5/6/2020 at 3:41 PM, Jabberwocky said:

You need to take your orange glasses off once in a while, and take a realistic look at the situation.

so, you're being a dick and negging random posts in return for being negged on your stupid posts?

such a thinned skinned pussy. what do you think would happen to you if those of us that you negged in return for your dumbass posts, followed up and went neg for neg on you? oh yeah, you'd have to create a sock cause you'd get negged banned.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lone Star Horn said:

so, you're being a dick and negging random posts in return for being negged on your stupid posts?

What the hell is your problem? I gave you a like, so why don't you remain silent like you were doing?

I am sorry that I didnt know there were so many emotionally invested Dodds defenders, and conference realignment revisionist cocksuckers in here. If you do not share an opinion, it would be bigger of you to at least comment as to why you want to silently hate someone else's. Or better yet, maybe you should simply state your opinion without finger-fucking mine.

Edited by Jabberwocky
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Revisionists?

I mean, what would you call it, man? You expect me to believe that we did everything we should have, and that the current conference situation is exactly what is best? It seems that something, somewhere, in the Big 12 war room went FUBAR, and our AD in fact played a part in that mess. Four teams left, and it now seems that nobody has been better for it. Call me a troll, or neg bomb me, whatever you want. Hopefully, CDC can do what is optimal for the University, for both the long and short-term time frames.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Jabberwocky said:

I mean, what would you call it, man? You expect me to believe that we did everything we should have, and that the current conference situation is exactly what is best? It seems that something, somewhere, in the Big 12 war room went FUBAR, and our AD in fact played a part in that mess. Four teams left, and it now seems that nobody has been better for it. Call me a troll, or neg bomb me, whatever you want. Hopefully, CDC can do what is optimal for the University, for both the long and short-term time frames.

You and Sataya should also scissor yourselves on broken glass

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Dodds was doing what was best for UT

... and I believe this is the part we are retrospectively debating here. He did a lot of stuff that was good for the University, but I am also saying that his shrewd UT-minded bean counting synchronously critically wounded the fuck out of our conference for the foreseeable future, before he rode off into the sunset.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

... and I believe this is the part we are retrospectively debating here. He did a lot of stuff that was good for the University, but I am also saying that his shrewd UT-minded bean counting synchronously critically wounded the fuck out of our conference for the foreseeable future, before he rode off into the sunset.

That really doesn’t hold water for Colorado & Mizzou at all.

• Like 1

Just now, Armybrat said:

That really doesn’t hold water for Colorado & Mizzou at all.

Of course, that is what we say around here, isn't it? Do you think that if things were going swimmingly, that they would be whoring themselves out to other conferences? Of course they wouldn't have been. No one will confuse those schools as being Big 12 loyalists, but they certainly did not need to read a weather report to know which way the wind was blowing. The conference AD meetings would have made a great reality tv show.

• Fuck You 2

19 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

Of course, that is what we say around here, isn't it? Do you think that if things were going swimmingly, that they would be whoring themselves out to other conferences? Of course they wouldn't have been. No one will confuse those schools as being Big 12 loyalists, but they certainly did not need to read a weather report to know which way the wind was blowing. The conference AD meetings would have made a great reality tv show.

As already mentioned here and TOS & HF, they both  were whoring themselves out to the Pac 10 & Big 10 before the formation of the Big 12.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

Only because we had a conference of short-sighted, hurt pussy programs. 

52 minutes ago, Deej said:

Only because we had a conference of short-sighted, hurt pussy programs.

Fair enough. I cannot put myself into the dishonorable position of defending the manliness of the CU, UN, UM, and aggy athletic departments. However, I do wish they were all still in the Big 12.

• Fuck You 1

If you want to read National Treasure Disgrace Billy Liucci's take on CDC and scheduling aggy, it's good for a laugh

Once again that time has arrived when hot air gusts, annoying pests emerge and fatigue quickly sets in.

We are, of course, referring to the Texas Longhorns’ annual summer attempt to pressure Texas A&M into renewing the football series that ended in 2012 — at the Longhorns’ behest.

This year, the hot air and pests came early in the form of self-serving, sophomoric and contradictory statements from Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte on the tired, old subject of renewing the Texas A&M-Texas football series. He referenced several college football rivalries and said not playing those games makes no sense.

Makes no sense? Kind of like one college football program starting its own television network or demanding conference-generated revenue should not be evenly distributed among teams in that conference?

That makes about as much sense as a 10-team conference calling itself the Big 12.

Further, Del Conte said: “My goal is to play anyone that’s won a national championship in the modern era as part of our non-conference schedule.”

Texas is like that psychotic significant other from a past toxic relationship. You put up with their high-maintenance, selfish drama for way too long and then finally leave.

That was interpreted nationally as a shot at A&M, which we all know has not won a national title since 1939.

That’s fine. A&M continues to focus on the future rather than the past.

But if Del Conte is taking shots at A&M through the media, why is he also whining about A&M’s disinterest in playing Texas?

Texas is like that unbalanced significant other from a past toxic relationship. You put up with their high-maintenance, selfish drama for way too long and then finally leave.

The psycho ex eventually begs you to come back. But you realize it’s not hard to make a list of at least 10 reasons not to go back.

10) Texas ended the series: When A&M moved to the Southeastern Conference in 2012, then-Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds said: “They left. They’re the ones that decided not to play us.” That’s simply not true. A&M wanted the series to continue. That would’ve been possible, too. Florida faces Florida State. Georgia faces Georgia Tech. Kentucky faces Louisville. South Carolina faces Clemson. The series could’ve continued despite A&M’s move; Texas didn’t want to play the Aggies.

9) Don’t let Texas set terms: Dodds also went on to say: “We get to decide when we’ll play again.” Why? Why would Texas think it gets to decide? That demonstrated Texas felt it still had the ability to assert control over A&M. No thanks.

😎 Texas encouraged Big 12 teams not to schedule A&M: Following A&M’s move, DeLoss reportedly encouraged other Big 12 athletic programs not to schedule Texas A&M in any sport. That in itself is sufficient reason not to schedule Texas.

7) Don’t be manipulated: Unaccustomed to not getting what it wants, Texas has attempted to pressure A&M through media. That includes many reporters with ties to Texas, Texas officials, fans and other media accusing A&M of “ducking” Texas while conveniently overlooking the fact that A&M has scheduled much more successful programs like Clemson and Notre Dame. A&M should not bow to Texas’ strong-arm tactics.

6) A&M should set its own scheduling philosophy: A&M’s policy is to schedule one Power 5 opponent every season. That’s quite common. Every team in the SEC West Division has the same approach. In fact, that’s what Texas does. True, A&M plays four non-conference games, but A&M shouldn’t be expected to change its philosophy to satisfy Texas.

Lia Musgrave, TexAgs

Scheduling different opponents allows Aggies to travel. Texas A&M made the trip to Clemson just last year.

5) Better road trips: Except for the traffic and vagrants, Austin is a fun city. Aggies can go there any time they want. Scheduling different Power 5 opponents allows Aggies to visit other towns and stadiums. A&M has played at Clemson and UCLA. In upcoming seasons, A&M will travel to Colorado, Miami, Notre Dame and Arizona State. Here’s hoping teams like Wisconsin, Penn State and Washington appear on A&M’s future schedules. Maryland would be good, too. Even Texas fans would agree Maryland is a tough opponent.

4) Better opponents: Frankly, A&M is scheduling better Power 5 opponents than Texas. Since 2012 when A&M left for the SEC, the majority of A&M’s Power 5 non-conference opponents are more successful than Texas.

The Longhorns are 58-45 since 2012 (a 56.3 win percentage). In the same span, Clemson is 101-12 (89.3 percent), Notre Dame is 76-27 (73.7 percent), Miami is 62-40 (60.7 percent), Arizona State is 61-43 (58.6 percent). Even UCLA (54-48, 52.9 percent) is at least comparable.

That proves the “A&M is ducking Texas” narrative is completely asinine.

3) National brand: A&M is looking to expand its national brand. Therefore, scheduling nationwide makes perfect sense. It seems to be helping in recruiting. A&M’s 2020 recruiting class had 14 players from out of state. The Aggies already have four out of state commitments in their 2021 class.

2) A&M doesn’t need to play Texas: A&M plays LSU, Alabama and Auburn every year. In some seasons they play the likes of Georgia, Florida and Tennessee from the SEC East. Unlike Texas, whose schedule as it stands typically features one marquee home game every other year since the OU game is in Dallas, there is no shortage of marquee games on A&M’s schedule or high-profile opponents coming to Kyle Field.

1) Texas wants it so bad: No more explanation is necessary

On 5/6/2020 at 3:50 PM, Jabberwocky said:

You can keep telling yourself this over and over while we continue to evaluate our shitty conference affiliation options. It does not make things any better for anyone, and does not align with, or reconcile, the observable evidence. What would have been better is an intact Big 12 conference.

Lord, you must be aggy or cornhumper.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

30 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Should be fun

You seem like a real piece of work, man. Again, why dont you stay silent, and finger fuck the opinions of others in the shadows. Looking through your history, that seems to be all you really do. You don't ever really add anything of value to any conversation, or submit your thoughts for everyone to quietly neg like a bunch of little bitches.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

aggy or cornhumper

As for my allegiances, I do not even know how to respond to that. I grew up in Austin, and have watched every Texas game since I was about 10. I'm sorry if I am not defending the honor of Dodds in my statements, but I really do not think that is a productive exercise. I have never been a buttsniffing yes-man. I tend to think of myself as a realist instead. I apologize if it rankles your little titties to the point where you have to put a little hate face on my post.

Edited by Jabberwocky
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

As for my allegiances, I do not even know how to respond to that. I grew up in Austin, and have watched every Texas game since I was about 10. I'm sorry if I am not defending the honor of Dodds in my statements, but I really do not think that is a productive exercise. I have never been a buttsniffing yes-man. I tend to think of myself as a realist instead. I apologize if it rankles your little titties to the point where you have to put a little hate face on my post.

You reek of aggy to me, but whatever sort of troll you are, you definitely aren't a Longhorn.  

2 minutes ago, 3shot said:

You reek of aggy to me, but whatever sort of troll you are, you definitely aren't a Longhorn.

Who the hell are you exactly? Are you some sort of a credentialed aggy, or troll investigator? I did not troll anyone whatsoever, whatever the fuck that means. I simply stated my objective, and mostly worthless opinion on the matter. What the hell have you added to the conversation? All you did was come in and quietly finger fuck what someone else posted. The reasons for this remain mostly nebulous to this point, but it probably has something to do with you crying alone in your bed when someone attempts to perform an autopsy of the decision-making eminence of a retired athletic director.

Avatar checks the right box(es).

11 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

... I do not even know how to respond ...

All things considered, the proper response would be to shut the fuck up. 

Someone once said 

It is better to be silent and be thought an annoying cunt, than to speak and remove all doubt.

• Like 4