Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

5 minutes ago, jinx said:

I guess I struggle to understand the liability.  How is a lawyer going to confirm the location of infection of a virus?

Um...er...ok maybe you can just announce enter at your own risk? What do I know? I just have a hard time imagining a big outbreak in the luxury boxes and that turns out well for UT.

But first Austin would have to allow such a large gathering and the other school would have to agree along with the conference and the NCAA. So, as I said, it will probably not even be CDC's call. And if all that does happen then we are probably past the problem anyway.

Edited by Valmy77

On 6/15/2020 at 11:25 PM, LTtxfan said:

TexasEx here.... Some thoughts for CDC on "The Eyes of Texas"

Compromise idea:

1. Keep "The Eyes of Texas" with maybe a few modifications of the words
  2. Perform the "The Eyes of Texas" in pregame before players are brought out
  3. Play some time after " The Eyes of Texas " the song "Lift Ev'ry Voice And Sing," (traditionally known as the Black national anthem)
  4. Then next play  "The Star Spangled Banner"
  5. Finally, no longer play "The Eyes of Texas" at the end of contests...

Also -- Not a song writer, but took a shot at modifying our song... LOL 

🎶 THE EYES OF TEXAS 🎶

The Eyes of Texas are upon us

all the live long day...

The Eyes of Texas are upon us, 

we all must find a way...

To grow and learn from one another, 

and make a difference every day...

“What starts here Changes the World!"

• Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

🎶 THE EYES OF TEXAS 🎶

all the live long day...

The Eyes of Texas are upon us, 

we all must find a way...

To grow and learn from one another, 

and make a difference every day...

“What starts here Changes the World!"

it's politically incorrect and offensive to say something's is "really gay" nowadays, right?

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

That is horrible.

10 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

it's politically incorrect and offensive to say something's is "really gay" nowadays, right?

Told yah not a song writer... I'll keep my day job 😋

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/17/2020 at 5:37 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

I can’t listen to Manny, no natter what he has to say. His time on LHN was too painful. 

Hot take Manny adding drama queen to his resume I see.

Right there with you amigo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-weighs-options-as-college-football-ponders-game-cancellation-postponement-procedures/

CDC not part of this B12 AD group...

Big 12 weighs options as college football ponders game cancellation, postponement procedures

By Dennis Dodd    Jul 2, 2020 

A select group of Big 12 athletic directors have been directed with one of the most profound duties of the coronavirus-impacted season: playing God when it comes to deciding whether a game should go on as scheduled.

The subcommittee of five ADs -- from Baylor, Kansas State, Oklahoma, TCU and West Virginia -- is in the early stages of setting thresholds for postponements, cancellations and even forfeits. Their recommendations will go through several filters as coaches, players, other ADs and the commissioner will have input.

At least on the Power Five level, all conferences will be compelled to make similar decisions. The task of coming to an agreement on what it would take to call off a game because of COVID-19 is not an easy one.  "The whole purpose of discussing this is you don't want to play with a dismantled team," West Virginia athletic director Shane Lyons said. "So what does that look like?" 

In the early stages, the considerations are as follows:

Losing 25 percent of scholarship players: That's one threshold being considered. Using the 85-scholarship maximum, a loss of a quarter of those players equals 21. Few programs, if any, operate with right at the 85 max. Nevertheless a 25 percent reduction from that number would mean 64 scholarship players. That begs the question, how many players do coaches really need? Road travel rosters are typically capped at 60-70 as it is.

CBS Sports spoke to one former major-college coach who said the absolute fewest players a program needed to play was 53, basically the NFL roster max. That would include 44 on the two deep depth chart, a long-snapper, holder and some special teamers.

"We want student-athlete input on it," Lyons said. "What does it mean to the athlete? I bring up the quarterbacks. What if something happens with all your quarterbacks? What do you want to do, put in a former tight end who played quarterback? Is that we want the game to be?"

Cross training: If rosters are shortened, one consideration is players working out at multiple positions to make the lineup more flexible. That means a defensive lineman might have to prepare also as an offensive lineman, a wide receiver as a defensive back. No one is talking about single-platoon football.

TCU AD Jeremiah Donati stressed the preliminary nature of the study. "What constitutes a disqualified team?" he wondered. "Is it a percentage of guys in your overall number? Is it a percentage of scholarship guys? Is it the number of guys in a depth chart at one position?"

Testing: We've tackled the subject this week. There is no national standard for COVID-19 testing. Power Five schools are discussing a game-week standard their programs could adhere to. That alone would go a long way toward deciding whether a game is going to be played. The issue is not only player availability but timing. Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione wondered about key players testing positive the day before a game. "If a team has reached or passed the threshold where too many players are not available, that's what we're trying to work through" he said. "I wish there were easy ways to do this."

Gamesmanship: This is a tricky one. At what point can't a game be played? At what point does a coach not want a game to be played? What if all three of a team's scholarship quarterbacks are sick and the only remaining option is a walk-on who is only meant to be on the practice squad? Is that safe for the quarterback himself? Is it fair for the rest of the team to put itself on the line knowing it will be near-impossible to win the game? "How do we have to look at this and say, 'What's legitimate and what's not legitimate?'" Lyons said. "We don't want any gamesmanship of coaches saying, 'I don't want to play because my starting quarterback really got hurt. He tweaked an ankle, so we don't to play the next week against XYZ.'"

Schedule: The college football schedule doesn't provide much wiggle room to make up games. One Big 12 AD said he's looking at calling nonconference opponents in his region on short notice if a game is canceled. Another said that a canceled nonconference game could be made up in a unique way: two Big 12 teams with open dates playing a nonconference game.

The Big 12 is among a couple of Power Five conferences that have considered pushing back their championship games. Lyons suggested the Big 12 Championship Game could be held as much as two weeks later on Dec. 19. That could provide time for league members to make up canceled or postponed games.

He added the conference still has "a month or so" to decide on how to cancel games. 

I submit that you change one word and it is clear who we are talking about in The Eyes

Option 1

The Eyes of Texas are upon you
All the live long day
FOES cannot get away
Do not think you can escape them
Night or early in the morn

Til Gabriel blows his Horn

Option 2

The Eyes of Texas are upon Foes
All the live long day
FOES cannot get away

Edited by RollLeft

7 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

I submit that you change one word and it is clear who we are talking about in The Eyes

Option 1

All the live long day
FOES cannot get away

Option 2

All the live long day
The Eyes of Texas are upon our
FOES cannot get away

Uh...you and LTtxfan need to work this out. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

Option 1

All the live long day
FOES cannot get away

Option 2

All the live long day
FOES cannot get away

But that’s not who we’re talking about. “You” is “us” (which is why the connection to escaping slaves is irrational, and changing it to “us” as some have suggested is redundant).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

But that’s not who we’re talking about. “You” is “us” (which is why the connection to escaping slaves is irrational, and changing it to “us” as some have suggested is redundant).

I agree that those who know the meaning know that it was the eyes of the people of Texas watching those battling for them.  Hence president Prather was watching his students.  He meant go do your best, fight your opponent and represent us well. 

That said you are using too much logic.  We have people who have rationalized that the "you" being watched and cannot get away are "slaves" or blacks.  So if the understanding of the song is so skewed and change must be made, lets just make it if clear that The Eyes are watching our foes, our competitor.

I'm only saying if we must change it, this is a lesser evil. 

Edited by RollLeft
  • Like 2

On 5/22/2020 at 2:07 PM, mininghorn88 said:

I was in the village of Tete, Mozambique a couple of years ago and I saw a villager wearing a UT t-shirt.  Out of curiosity I threw up the "Horns" sign.  I was met with a blank stare.

did it say 1991 Cotton Bowl Champs?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Since there were no blacks on campus at that time, to whom could that song be directed when using the word “you”?  PresIdnt Prather president was talking to white students when he said it, and the John Sinclair was talking to those same white students (and white opponents as mentioned by RollLeft) when he wrote it mocking Prather. To say otherwise is mind bottling. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Yeah, disgusting as hell.... but that’s what I like on them.

When i was a kid me and my cousins went to the movies, in Mexico, and those fucks put mayo on my dog and popcorn.  I was too young and too polite to say fuck your mayo.  

Edited by RollLeft
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Since there were no blacks on campus at that time, to whom could that song be directed when using the word “you”?  PresIdnt Prather president was talking to white students when he said it, and the John Sinclair was talking to those same white students (and white opponents as mentioned by RollLeft) when he wrote it mocking Prather. To say otherwise is mind bottling. 

and weren't for the next 50 years.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Option 1

All the live long day
FOES cannot get away

Option 2

All the live long day
FOES cannot get away

This is way more inclusive and progressive anthem we can all live by.

1.) It de-slut shames @South Austin 's mom.

2.) It celebrates her entrepreneurial spirit

3.) It'll brings more attention to this forum which would highlight all the important, rational, and erudite conversations which this board is famous for

The Pride of Texas is upon you
All the live long day
You cannot get away 
Do not think you can escape her

Til @South Austin 's mom blows all Horns

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Which poster is this?

we'd have to know what Spurlin wants in order to make that determination-- is he mad because Del Conte's not like "man FUCK the coronavirus hoax, we're tailgating and I'll pour shots!", or is he mad because Del Conte hasn't publicly taken the Oath of Patriotism and vowed to shutter the athletic department until every American's been vaccinated twice?

and I never get off the Internet, so are there any other positions not represented above?

Edited by SwanderedTalent