Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

Really Proud of Earl, Ricky and The University of Texas...

Earl Campbell and Ricky Williams Media Availability [Sept. 10, 2020]

‘The story has to survive with it’: Ricky Williams, Earl Campbell proud of Texas student-athletes ahead of field dedication

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-longhorns/2020/09/11/the-story-has-to-survive-with-it-ricky-williams-earl-campbell-proud-of-student-athletes-ahead-of-field-dedication/

Edited by LTtxfan

On 9/4/2020 at 8:21 AM, Pancho said:

Does Jesse post on this board?

A family friend from Houston who has been a season ticket holder & donor for 50+ years might have a valid complaint.
Bellmont said his seats would be changed from Section 2 row 20something on the 10 yard line up to Section 132 top row.He & his wife are in their early 80s and as Burntorange-blooded as anyone here, but they cannot climb stairs like that. So they opted out.

That isn’t whining... it is shabby treatment. 
yeah I know, fuck the olds.

4 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

A family friend from Houston who has been a season ticket holder & donor for 50+ years might have a valid complaint.
Bellmont said his seats would be changed from Section 2 row 20something on the 10 yard line up to Section 132 top row.He & his wife are in their early 80s and as Burntorange-blooded as anyone here, but they cannot climb stairs like that. So they opted out.That isn’t whining... it is shabby treatment.  yeah I know, fuck the olds.

Yeah, but tweeting Del Conte regarding this issue is a bad look even for an "Old"...

Edited by LTtxfan

On 8/31/2020 at 8:58 AM, Armybrat said:

I’d like to know when Bellmont is going to refund my “refund” my credit card for opting out of my four season tickets for home games & four OU tickets. Talked to the rep by phone three weeks ago to state my wishes.

My ticket refund posted to my credit card yesterday.

If he had cleaned house in the AD when he got here, we might have enough money to at pay off half of Herman’s contract. This is also why the AD should not be funneling money to the academic side like they have done in the past. Put the surplus in a rainy day fund. Of course, we probably would have already blown that on Chuckles and Shaka. 

You’re in charge CDC.  If you don’t have what it takes to help Texas compete with the best sports programs out there, than pack your shit and go back to TCU.  Whether it’s this year or next, I’m fucking sick of the Texas administration being content with being average.  I’ve wasted too much money and time on Texas athletics.  I’m not going to anymore Texas games until our administration shows it cares about winning more than dollars. I’m at the point where I’d rather do other shit on my only day off than watch us fucking get embarrassed routinely against teams with fewer resources.  You better have a fucking plan.  The suits and nice guy schit is wears thin when you don’t do your fucking job.  It’s painfully obvious we hired the wrong guy again like we did with Charlie.  Herman will fail just like charlie did at his next gig.  The dude wouldn’t even be the best coach in a G5 conference let alone be a top coach in a power 5 conference.  

• Like 1

I would say he has shown he can make the right hires, WBB and Softball come to mind. Shaka is on borrowed time and herman has another year easily, especially in this current economic state. Upgrading the football facilities/stadium while also navigating the building a new basketball arena is alot to juggle even for the best of ADs. Then shitcan a football coach and pay for buy outs is after already asking for tens of millions from the big cigars may be a bit much.

On the other hand, if herman continues to perform at this current level his hand may be forced.

8 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

I would say he has shown he can make the right hires, WBB and Softball come to mind. Shaka is on borrowed time and herman has another year easily, especially in this current economic state. Upgrading the football facilities/stadium while also navigating the building a new basketball arena is alot to juggle even for the best of ADs. Then shitcan a football coach and pay for buy outs is after already asking for tens of millions from the big cigars may be a bit much.

On the other hand, if herman continues to perform at this current level his hand may be forced.

Who fucking cares?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
31 minutes ago, David Dennison said:
Who fucking cares?

There is more to UT sports than just football....especially in the last decade.

And that's kind of the problem, don't you think?  Football always has been, and always will be, #1 in this state.

Edited by Shaggy3.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

And that's kind of the problem, don't you think?  Football always has been, and always will be, #1 in this state.
Not arguing that point at all. But let's be honest we have been better in other sports recently than football.

I understand football is the money maker of the university athletics dept but were just not good at football consistently to matter in the past decade.

On 9/1/2020 at 1:53 PM, Shaggybevo said:

"The first $50,000 of an employee’s salary will be reduced by 2.5%, the next $50,001 to $100,000 is reduced by 10% and any amount above $100,001 is reduced by 15%."

So, this is a blended decrease.    Got it.

Coaches will get lost pay back...

23 hours ago, Goodman said:

Agree with "playing not to lose".  Sometimes feels like PTSD from last 10yrs keeps holding this team back.  Really hoping new assistants help this team improve week-to-week and train for more discipline and being better prepared...

10 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

athletic director Chris Del Conte is failing at his job. There is no other way to put it. It is hard to sugarcoat. Impossible to ignore.

Oh, Del Conte is good at telling jokes at fundraisers. He has a great sense of humor. If you want to drink and hear a guy tell jokes, Del Conte can provide entertainment that rivals any comedian on open mic night. Heck, Del Conte’s biggest achievement was creating Bevo Blvd., a lively street with food trucks, music and alcohol. Del Conte was responsible for creating concerts after Longhorn home games, prior to the pandemic, of course. Del Conte definitely knows how throw a damn good party.

When it comes to making hard decisions about his coaching staff (dating back to TCU), leading an athletic department, or preventing The Eyes of Texas tradition from becoming arguably the most divisive issue between fans and players in school history, Del Conte is doing nothing to justify earning $2.5 million annually until 2027.

Del Conte has created this chaos.

He has to do a better job of finding solutions.

Texas was defeated by Oklahoma, 53-45 (four overtimes), on Saturday. Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley currently has a 4-1 record against Texas’ Tom Herman. Texas could not defeat one of the worst Oklahoma programs in recent memory. We saw Riley bench his starting quarterback, the ultimate surrender decision, and the same guy was reinserted after halftime and led his team to victory.

The Longhorns are 2-2, but it took a miracle comeback against Texas Tech to prevent a 1-3 start. Texas recovered the onside kick and pulled off a victory when it had less than a one-percent chance of winning with around three minutes remaining. Nobody can take the win off Texas’ record. However, it helps to remember how fortunate this team is not to be 0-3 in the Big 12 right now.

After the game, Herman looked defeated. He reminded me of the President who aged dramatically after four years in office. Herman did not have any answers. He talked about how great practice was last Sunday in an effort to show how close his program is to winning football games like this. The coach did not understand his fan base is more concerned about the product they are witnessing each Saturday.

This is the moment when you save a fighter from himself. Herman is not winning the way he or the fan base desires. Recruiting is not going well. Literally, a player quit during the middle of a game this season. Longhorn fans are pissed about his team’s lack of participation in The Eyes of Texas. Herman will not throw in the towel, but I sensed if Del Conte tapped him on the shoulder after Saturday’s game and said they should discuss an exit plan, deep down, Herman might be relieved to get out of this situation. That is just my opinion and nothing I heard from my sources.

Herman was originally under contract until 2021, which meant both sides could have happily parted ways after this season.

Instead, Del Conte gave Herman a two-year extension in 2019, months after the Sugar Bowl victory. Herman is still slated to make $6.25 million in 2021, and Del Conte added $6.5 million in 2022 and $6.75 million in 2023. This is the equivalent of staying married until the children graduate from high school.

By the way, Del Conte also gave running backs coach Stan Drayton and offensive lineman coach Herb Hand raises back in May. Drayton was bumped up from $640,000 to $700,000. Hand’s salary increased from $515,000 to $650,000.

Only $19.5 million for Herman’s contract, plus add in a little extra for his assistants?

Just ask those big money donors to cut a check, right?

You mean the same people who are ticked off about players not participating in The Eyes of Texas?

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hookem.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F12%2Fsss-tx-mo3007_2.jpg&hash=f5253ae3e7e314fc268eecadc545906a

Photo via HookEm.com

I received multiple messages from sources this weekend saying the athletic department has lost at least $25 million in pledges in the past two weeks. That number may not be 100 percent accurate, but longtime fans are withholding their financial support.

By the way, Del Conte expected several donors to cut checks for the south endzone project in December. The completion of that project is in trouble at this rate.

Del Conte should have resolved this issue before the season.

In July, Texas President Jay Hartzell rolled out a comprehensive set of proposals to create a more diverse and welcoming campus, including plans to allocate Athletics’ revenue to recruit and support Black students, rename the Robert L. Moore Building, and honor Black trailblazers at UT through new campus symbols. Hartzell said the university would keep “The Eyes of Texas” as the university’s song but would work to own the history of the song while reclaiming and redefining what the song stands for.

“The Eyes of Texas, in its current form, will continue to be our alma mater. Aspects of its origin, whether previously widely known or unknown, have created a rift in how the song is understood and celebrated, and that must be fixed,” Hartzell said in a press release. “It is my belief that we can effectively reclaim and redefine what this song stands for by first owning and acknowledging its history in a way that is open and transparent.

“Together, we have the power to define what the Eyes of Texas expect of us, what they demand of us, and what standard they hold us to now. The Eyes of Texas should not only unite us, but hold all of us accountable to our institution’s core values. But we first must own the history. Only then can we reimagine its future, and I look forward to partnering with our campus community to do just that.”

At that point, the controversy should have been over.

The President did his part. Dr. Leonard Moore successfully talked players out of boycotting the season and was no longer involved in any athletic discussions. Longhorn players openly applauded the initiatives. I thought it was a very fair compromise for everyone involved.

Del Conte’s task was simple.

Inform the players they need to resume participating in the tradition. They did not have to sing the song, but he expected them to stay after games.

Simple.

Instead, Del Conte never expressed his expectations with student-athletes, which is why there has been chaos. Many cheerleaders did not participate in The Eyes during Texas’ recent home game against TCU. Several band members have said they will not play the song. The football team – black and white players – have skipped the tradition this season. The volleyball team recently stayed on the court but did not acknowledge the song.

That administrative failure is on Del Conte.

I know some fans are blaming the “woke” generation or “social justice warriors” for what is occurring right now. I get that frustration. Nobody wants to be labeled a racist when those sentiments are not in their heart. Fans view this song as a tradition. They played the song at weddings, parties, and it was a source of school pride. I understand the anger.

Yet, I look at how other athletic departments across the country handled the current climate better than Del Conte.

Oklahoma State running back Chuba Hubbard threatened to boycott all team activities after a tweet surfaced of coach Mike Gundy wearing a One America News Network T-shirt. I was not convinced Gundy could prevent a player revolt.

Yet, they put those issues aside and unified.

Oklahoma football players decided not to practice and marched for social and racial justice. That could have ripped apart the team. Instead, there were several productive conversations between players, administrators and coaches.

In addition, the athletic department decided to place a “Black Lives Matter” and “Sooners for Humanity” patch on team jerseys this season.

Texas?

Del Conte told the football staff this week they had to participate in the tradition after games to show respect to their fans. Unfortunately, Del Conte did not have a conversation with players and express his expectations. He definitely has done nothing to publicly express any solutions to the fan base.

As a result, Sam Ehlinger and Cameron Dicker were the only players I saw participating in The Eyes after the Oklahoma loss, while everyone else was in the locker room.

That was unacceptable.

If Del Conte can receive credit for creating a carnival atmosphere, he has to be accountable for this circus.

Del Conte should tap Herman on the shoulder this week and express the importance of finishing this season 8-2, or at least 7-3, because Longhorn fans are tired of losing.

In addition, Del Conte should sit down with players in every sport and express his expectations. I am not saying Del Conte needs to bang the table in anger. Instead, he has to be the leader Texas needs at this moment.

Del Conte has created this chaos.

He has to do a better job of finding solutions.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3