Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

"At the beginning of the year, everybody thinks you're going to go undefeated and win a national championship. Right? So anything short of that, you're going to be disappointed" - Chris Del Conte

He thinks fan's expectations are foolish. Even though you and I know most fans would be pleased with an occasional conference championship, a less than humiliating showing in the RRR game, a coherent offence, a team that plays hard every week, our expectations are pretty low at this point and they still managed to get under them.

"Darrell Royal is not walking through that door.” - Chris Del Conte

He does not have any confidence that he can find a successful head coach. Darrell Royal or Urban Meyer are not walking through that door, but a $2,500,000 AD should at least be able to find a competent coach with the money and prestige this position brings with it, if he can't find a coach for the football program what exactly is the university getting for its money?

Edited by Loather
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Seems odd he would put out such a vague statement that would need immediate clarification if there weren't something else going on. He may be using some smoke and mirrors.

Or, he completely fucked this up. I'm going to wait and see.

Also, if CDC confirmed, why would there be "another UT source."  None of this makes any sense.

We have no objective evidence that CDC is as stupid as he's being made out to be.

3 hours ago, taybo20 said:

If CDC is okay with an empty stadium, poor play,  even worse recruiting and a fanbase that will have all of its energy yelling and screaming at him to make a change, the  good for him I guess. But Texas football isnt getting better

9 months is a long time.. post covid game 1 will be a sell out. 

I mean what do you want the man to do? He doesn't have $15M laying around to get rid of Herman, and as usual the Texas BMDs fucked up the pursuit of Urban Meyer. Once Meyer told Texas no thanks to 84 fucking million dollars, the writing was on the wall. Outside the BMD's ponying up the money needed to get rid of Herman, and agreeing to stay the fuck out of the decision making process for the next coach the general fanbase is fucked.

Do I think Herman will be the coach for the first game of 2021, not a chance.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

9 months is a long time.. post covid game 1 will be a sell out. 

I don’t think it’s a given that we pack the place for the Ragin Cajuns, Rice or either Kansas. Seats will also be empty to see Tech if that game is late in the year and they’re garbage again. A Herman led ‘21 squad will be an easy ticket to get, especially so given our home schedule. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

That’s what happens when practically ever game Herman has coached has been a close loss or win. 
It’s ridiculous. 
Hopefully CDC gets this figured out but I am losing confidence. 

Saban found snaps for his frosh backup against Piggie, yesterday.  But, then a zip code isn’t the only thing that separates our brand of football from Alabama ...

25 minutes ago, texanbychoice said:

If you read CDC’s comments and think it means Herman will be our coach next season....you are not smart.

Do you also believe rapgame Larry tweets, a squid, and bots tracking flights? Do you also read into Shelly Meyer tweets and decipher them like a code breaker?

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm still choosing to remain hopeful that there's more going on behind the scenes than what's obvious. If cdc lands the coaching search well, a lot will be forgotten.

That said, when most of us were thrilled to be getting cdc, there were a few people pointing out that he's mainly built his reputation on facilities and fundraising. He never had to do much of anything with Patterson at tcu. He might have been responsible for pushing him to hire better offensive coaches, but that's it, and that's a change anyone on this board could've told you they needed to make.

He has made good hires in other sports, where as someone else mentioned we can just pay a lot more vs most schools. Football and men's bb are where he'll make his legacy from a coaching perspective. So far, not so good. Let's see how he lands this, though. If it lands as poorly as the ride has gone, this should be the last coaching search in a revenue sport cdc leads for us.

There is a whole lot of dumb in this thread, or at least some extreme gullibility.  CDC is doing exactly what he needs to do to limit damage caused by uncertainty while continuing to work toward ensuring that the future of the program ends up in the best possible hands.  Stop hanging on every fucking word he releases for public consumption, and act like this isn't the first time that you have heard AD-speak.  CDC is not stupid.  He knows what is at stake.  He is as unhappy with the level of performance as any of us.  If the best possible coaching change could have happened by now, it would have.  Shove your unrealistic expectations up your ass and trust the man to do his job. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

There is a whole lot of dumb in this thread, or at least some extreme gullibility.  CDC is doing exactly what he needs to do to limit damage caused by uncertainty while continuing to work toward ensuring that the future of the program ends up in the best possible hands.  Stop hanging on every fucking word he releases for public consumption, and act like this isn't the first time that you have heard AD-speak.  CDC is not stupid.  He knows what is at stake.  He is as unhappy with the level of performance as any of us.  If the best possible coaching change could have happened by now, it would have.  Shove your unrealistic expectations up your ass and trust the man to do his job. 

See this isn’t true (about doing his best to limit the damage). He let Herman twist in the wind for 2 months and then gave the most tepid endorsement ever. If Herman is actually on the sidelines 9/21 then CDC will be responsible for one of the worst self owns one the entire history of college football (and that’s not the least bit hyperbolic). 
I choose to believe he’s not a low grade moron so I believe Herman isn’t coming back, but if he is we’ve fucked this up six ways to Sunday and CDC should be getting his walking papers. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

what.gif?

By putting out an unnecessary and poorly written statement that had to be clarified via phone calls with favored media outlets, he is somehow limiting damage caused by uncertainty?  CDC himself is pissing lighter fluid on the bonfire of uncertainty he helped create.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1