Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Right? This site busted a nut over Herman's intro. Any coach would be saying the things Sark is. First test is filling out the staff and limiting attrition from the roster. Then we'll see what things look like in spring ball. Then W-L record. That's it. 

That's 100% true. Most these coaches sound and say things you want to hear. Anyone saying well look at his zoom presser how impressive he was is just buying into coach speak. It doesn't matter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Right? This site busted a nut over Herman's intro. Any coach would be saying the things Sark is. First test is filling out the staff and limiting attrition from the roster. Then we'll see what things look like in spring ball. Then W-L record. That's it. 

To be honest his interview wasn’t that impressive. But what we got that we normally don’t get is the honest truth. It wasn’t filled with zingers and punch lines. It seemed more like a Saban style press conference.  It was refreshing. Let’s see how the official one goes Jan 12

Herman lost me when he hugged Mack Brown at his press conference.  Sark could have taken a shot and I would have felt better than after that fake, false hug.  That hug transferred Mack's inner turtle to Herman.  Sit Bijan and make sure Sam gets all the carries because Sam says the right things in front of a microphone.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I hate to break it to everyone that thinks because of his prior association and endorsement of bag men and that type of cheating, Sarkisian is going to be all for it here.

He might, he might not.  But a part of his recovery is doing "right" things.  Now, that permits some leeway on absolute moralism, but his past performance in that area may not be a good indicator of the future.

It's his recovery and his set of morals. I don't think paying players in itself is "morally" wrong. Bending/breaking the rules for competitive advantage is probably a bit more morally ambiguous.

7 hours ago, immamac said:

You guys do realize that the whole Texas job is fuckstomp everyone but OU and maybe an OOC game with pure talent advantage and in 3 maybe 4 games a year actually coaching well and making in game adjustments. 

If they just let the best players play with simple plays it would be better than what Herman was doing. Sark knows how to play with elite talent and he knows what to expect with elite talent. He coached the NFL and Sabans NFL like squads. He knows how to make playmakers playmakers. The rest will take care of itself. 

We need to get back to playing loose and nasty. Let the dogs eat. At the same time - act like you've been there before. Enough of this preening, flexing, cheering without context bullshit. Let's get back to stomping ass and asking "alright who's next?" instead of pissing our pants against shitty teams and then acting like we just won the superbowl when we edge out fucking Kansas and Okie Lite and Baylor.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, immamac said:

This is why mack did well until he didn't. We want mack 2.0, excluding the manic depressive mack era that is 2010+. He didn't suck until he checked out. We need not checked out mack brown 2.0, that's a bar I think Sark can meet. 

Whatever you say about Mack, you can't criticize his efforts to hire the best assistants and his ability to close the deal with recruits.

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Nah man. It was hiring Casey Horny and his entire staff of G5 has beens and never wases 

Hermann's were ok.  He hired some outsiders who were supposed to be good.  It was Charley's that caused you to say wtf.  He was clearly not willing to hire anybody who knew more and who was smarter than him.  And that was a pretty low bar.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I didn't predict Herman would fail. I thought it was a promising hire in what is almost always a crapshoot. 

Cockiness proved to be hubris in the cases above. His kissing the players in public was another quibble. I liked the sentiment he expressed for why he did this; I just didn't understand why the moment needed to be done for cameras. 

To the point above, I think Strong and Herman both erred terribly and understandably by keeping a comfortable group around themselves. Orlando provided a fools gold season. I do wonder if Herman will have a path like Sarkision. He could learn from his mistakes; I don't know if he can break the horrible tendency to not kick field goals and the other one where he starts running out the clock in the third quarter.

Herman does leave some ham on the bone (DKR said that about the team he was leaving for next guy).

Short of Meyer, there was no sure thing. Some pretty smart people on this thread sound like voters when polled long before a presidential election.

Would you choose to stay with President Encumbent or vote for someone (unknown) from the other party?

The encumbent always loses those polls because, I believe, the voter is allowed to imagine some ideal candidate who doesn't actually exist.

For what it's worth, I'm good with the gamble on Sarkision. He evidently turned down Auburn and other offers looking for the right fit. We're not the only ones who think he just might work out. 

Some proud cynic above dismissed the optimistic as fanbois. I'm optimistic. If I were not, I wouldn't enjoy watching the games. I'd rather take pleasure in hoping for the best rather than defending a pessimistic prediction for years and then feelilng all smug if I turn out to be right. I'll save my venom for Sarkision and CDC until some evidence develops.

In the meantime, Hook 'Em!, my friends.

I thought DKR, Akers and Mack were gone too soon, but was still optimistic about Akers, McWilliams, Mackovic, Brown, Strong and Hermann.

Just don't have that feeling at all about Sark.  

To put it simply, "We're Texas."  Do we really want to hire someone with a career 57% W/L record at football powerhouses?  With all our past coaches, we've seen that they have the same weaknesses at Texas they had before.  I don't see any reason to think Sark will be better than he was at USC and Washington.  Remember, Mackovic was an offensive genius too.  He really was.

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- Mack made the easy look easy. I’m the same way Bonny Bowden did at FSU. When you have an overwhelming talent advantage overwhelm them. 
shit really shouldn’t be considered hard but Herman never figured it out. I don’t know what Strong was doing but I think it’s avant- garde performance art and it was spectacular. 
I’d have preferred to see it at OU or Bama or some such. 

We DIDN'T have an overwhelming talent advantage.  Strong really drug us down with his lazy recruiting.  We had less talent than OU.  We had less offensive talent than Oklahoma St. or Baylor.  We didn't have the defensive talent that TCU had.  We weren't significantly better than anyone but Kansas.  Hermann has got us back to the point where we are more talented than anyone but OU.  But not dramatically better.  Hermann did a pretty good job with the hand he was dealt those first two seasons.

22 minutes ago, ztejas said:

We need to get back to playing loose and nasty. Let the dogs eat. At the same time - act like you've been there before. Enough of this preening, flexing, cheering without context bullshit. Let's get back to stomping ass and asking "alright who's next?" instead of pissing our pants against shitty teams and then acting like we just won the superbowl when we edge out fucking Kansas and Okie Lite and Baylor.

One thing that makes Saban's teams stand out from the rest of college football (besides the talent, of course) is their seriousness.  They always come out focused.  And they stay focused.  I was sitting right over the entrance from the locker room at that Alabama-Georgia game in Athens and the contrast couldn't be any more different.  Kirby Smart's Georgia players were jumping and hopping around and filled with energy.  Alabama's jogged in, looking straight ahead.  They just looked like they were focused on exactly what they had to do each play.

• Like 1

Here’s the thing...is cdc smart enough to say to SS, you r my signature hire.  If u go down in flames, I go down.  Here are the mistakes this last buffoon made

flipping bird, eyes with Sam, QB as battering ram, Ewers, hiring Casey, hiring g5 friends as assts.     we’re putting safeguards in place, so u don’t do stupid shit.  

Iow...is cdc gonna help this guy avoid bad behavior?

think about Herman’s record..imagine if he had that record without the bad behavior...

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

I mean, he's been recruiting for Alabama the past two years.

How dirty does Bama really have to be in recruiting? Being a national title contender every year and joining the strongest NFL pipeline in college football kind of seems to sell itself. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bullet said:

We DIDN'T have an overwhelming talent advantage.  Strong really drug us down with his lazy recruiting.  We had less talent than OU.  We had less offensive talent than Oklahoma St. or Baylor.  We didn't have the defensive talent that TCU had.  We weren't significantly better than anyone but Kansas.  Hermann has got us back to the point where we are more talented than anyone but OU.  But not dramatically better.  Hermann did a pretty good job with the hand he was dealt those first two seasons.

247 recruiting rankings

2014: Texas - 17th (#2 in Big 12), OU - 14th

2015: Texas - 10th (#1 in Big 12), OU - 15th

2016: Texas - 7th (#1 in Big 12), OU - 19th

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I saw the 2008 eggy game on LHN around Thanksgiving. I forgot what it was like watching a team of studs just go out and dominate. Let's get back to that. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bullet said:

I thought DKR, Akers and Mack were gone too soon, but was still optimistic about Akers, McWilliams, Mackovic, Brown, Strong and Hermann.

Just don't have that feeling at all about Sark.  

To put it simply, "We're Texas."  Do we really want to hire someone with a career 57% W/L record at football powerhouses?  With all our past coaches, we've seen that they have the same weaknesses at Texas they had before.  I don't see any reason to think Sark will be better than he was at USC and Washington.  Remember, Mackovic was an offensive genius too.  He really was.

Washington is not a powerhouse. Stop. They've never had more than* 3 straight 10 win seasons in their 100+ year history. They have one legit national title (which isn't consensus) and claim an absolute horseshit title from 1960 where they finished 6th in the AP and 5th in the Coaches. 

They are a respectable football program. I wouldn't say it's even in the top 20 of easiest places to win at. Certainly behind SC and Oregon within their own conference - maybe on equal footing with Utah.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Hermann's were ok.  He hired some outsiders who were supposed to be good.  It was Charley's that caused you to say wtf.  He was clearly not willing to hire anybody who knew more and who was smarter than him.  And that was a pretty low bar.

Are you spelling these names wrong on some weird aggy bit or can you really just not spell their names despite them being plastered all over this and other sites for the past seven years?

41 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Washington is not a powerhouse. Stop. They've never had more than* 3 straight 10 win seasons in their 100+ year history. They have one legit national title (which isn't consensus) and claim an absolute horseshit title from 1960 where they finished 6th in the AP and 5th in the Coaches. 

They are a respectable football program. I wouldn't say it's even in the top 20 of easiest places to win at. Certainly behind SC and Oregon within their own conference - maybe on equal footing with Utah.

My dad is from there and I grew up hearing a ton about Washington football. Basically only them or Oregon can be good at the same time- and that’s when one of them can corner the market on all the west coast talent that doesn’t want to go to USC. 
with Boise becoming the place for talented morons or bad guy types to go to and national recruiting getting other schools into California it’s even harder for either of those two to be good (and Colorado somewhat competes there in that space as well). 
you ha e to remember there just aren’t a lot of people, especially African American people west of the Rockies, and most of anyone that’s going to play in the league eventually is going to be from a suburb of Los Angeles, Phoenix or Vegas. 
This is why SC is the only blue blood west of I35, and likely to remain that way. To do well elsewhere you have to hope USC is down, stays down, and you can keep the National guys to a minimum out there. 
There also isn’t a super high level of try hard white guy football culture out there that you see in the panhandle or rust belt that can be the backbone of successful programs in middle America. 
It’s really fucking bleak man. And as much as I love Scipio and some of the other smarter guys around our program (including on here) that were PAC 12 or bust types why I wouldn’t want to throw in there. I see that getting worse not better, as the southwest continues to get browner as well as income stratified. 
TL/DR- west coast football is fucked and we are gonna be stuck with SEC dominating college football forever, with some schools at specific ACC, Texas and an Oklahoma type having access to fertile grounds that can compete. The west only has enough football culture to sustain one national power at a time- and that’s SC unless they screw it up. Big 10 football has enough football culture to have 1 or 2 high level teams at the best, but only if they supplement pretty heavily nationally from sunbelt. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

It's his recovery and his set of morals. I don't think paying players in itself is "morally" wrong. Bending/breaking the rules for competitive advantage is probably a bit more morally ambiguous.

It's not a sure thing either way.

But, it's important to realize that in many ways, this is not the Steve Sarkisian that flamed out in 2013.

1 hour ago, jinx said:

I had to check to be sure this was the CDC thread...

Just want to chime in on what an absolutely shitatstic job he did in this whole coaching fiasco.  At least he actually fired Herman, but everything else about the “search” was Keystone Cops yaketty sax.  I mean, I get the whole miss on Urban, but I still have no clue why we had to string out firing Herman.  And the public statement saying he was staying was a huge fuck up.  Then we fire him out of the blue and announce the new coach within hours and can’t even get the press conference set up on the network that we fucking own.  Everything Rod B said on the air Saturday was spot on.  

I am fully from Missouri on this hire.  His past record as a head coach is average at best.  Hopefully his lessons learned since then give him the experience he needs to succeed here.  I’ll watch, but I’m me far less than optimistic. 

The sad thing for me is I think he would probably work at a lot of places, but doubt it will work here.  We have 3 conference championships since 1996 while OU has stacked up 14.  Fucking Baylor and Kansas St each have 2.  

This shit show of a coaching search with a far from stellar ending is just emblematic of all of the things wrong with our program.  “We’re Texas” doesn’t mean what we think it does. I mean what other program goes from “Hiring Saban” to actually hiring Chuck Strong and follows that up by talking about hiring Urban only to settle for Sarkisian.   What an absolute joke.

I hope I am dead wrong and Sark knocks it out of the park. After following this program for 30 years, you’ll have to pardon my extreme skepticism. 

4 years from now we will be right back here.  We are a clown show.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

oooh sick burn.  what the fuck does this even mean?

It wasn't a burn. How was that a burn? You seem really confident how this will turn out. If you know something you can go score.

Texas is a weird job. Sark's skills he needs here are hiring the right staff and managing all the bullshit. I don't know how much that translates to his other jobs to where I can confidently say what the outcome will be.

Obviously he cannot be drunk like at USC though.

I don't have a fucking clue what is going to happen. I was just impressed you do.

Edited by Valmy77

1 hour ago, jinx said:

Just want to chime in on what an absolutely shitatstic job he did in this whole coaching fiasco.  At least he actually fired Herman, but everything else about the “search” was Keystone Cops yaketty sax.  I mean, I get the whole miss on Urban, but I still have no clue why we had to string out firing Herman.  And the public statement saying he was staying was a huge fuck up.  Then we fire him out of the blue and announce the new coach within hours and can’t even get the press conference set up on the network that we fucking own.  Everything Rod B said on the air Saturday was spot on.  

I am fully from Missouri on this hire.  His past record as a head coach is average at best.  Hopefully his lessons learned since then give him the experience he needs to succeed here.  I’ll watch, but I’m me far less than optimistic. 

The sad thing for me is I think he would probably work at a lot of places, but doubt it will work here.  We have 3 conference championships since 1996 while OU has stacked up 14.  Fucking Baylor and Kansas St each have 2.  

This shit show of a coaching search with a far from stellar ending is just emblematic of all of the things wrong with our program.  “We’re Texas” doesn’t mean what we think it does. I mean what other program goes from “Hiring Saban” to actually hiring Chuck Strong and follows that up by talking about hiring Urban only to settle for Sarkisian.   What an absolute joke.

I hope I am dead wrong and Sark knocks it out of the park. After following this program for 30 years, you’ll have to pardon my extreme skepticism. 

The only thing you know here is that the firing of Herman was delayed until the end of the season.  There's also the matter of what Del Conte said, which was technically true, if disingenuous.

As a factual matter, this hire is no more or less of a shitshow than any of the other hires of the last 40 years.  I mean, you could argue that the Herman hire wasn't a shitshow because it was quick and dirty, and probably pretty fucking stupid and the result of the AD being a BMD.

You can speculate about your yakety sax and etc. until you're blue in the face, but it will remain speculation for a while.  If and when the facts come out, if they ever do, you could be wrong, you could be right.

Right now, your only factually based complaint is that Herman wasn't fired midseason.  That's a matter upon which reasonable minds can differ.

Also, I have been strenuously informed on this thread that CDC had no responsibility in any of this and also that it's all his fault.  Probably by the same people.  When the truth of the matter is that no one really knows shit.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

4 years from now we will be right back here.  We are a clown show.

I sure as hell hope not, but that would be the safe bet

30 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Right now, your only factually based complaint is that Herman wasn't fired midseason.  That's a matter upon which reasonable minds can differ.

What about my factually based complaint that we have 3 conference championships in 25 years compared to the 14 of our “biggest rival”

43 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

It wasn't a burn. How was that a burn? You seem really confident how this will turn out. If you know something you can go score.

Texas is a weird job. Sark's skills he needs here are hiring the right staff and managing all the bullshit. I don't know how much that translates to his other jobs to where I can confidently say what the outcome will be.

Obviously he cannot be drunk like at USC though.

I don't have a fucking clue what is going to happen. I was just impressed you do.

sure he could go 11-2 or 12-1 which is what a really good coach should do against next years schedule.  fuck the clusterfuck that is Tom Herman would have likely been 10-3 this year given that LSU was a dumpster fire.

It feels IMO exactly like when we hired strong and herman.  A big meh. he'll probably win 9. 3rd place in Big 12 and it will be blamed on the transition, portalling, new QB, etc.

then maybe he gets to 10 wins in 2022(play Bama so the OOC loss is likely)

nothing in his history says he is ready for this just like strong and herman.  I'd love to be wrong.

edit - maybe he won't bring his sycophants that coached with him at Washington and USC and he really gets  a kick ass staff.  that could potentially change my opinion.

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Wonder when Sark's contract terms will become public. I hope it's structured in a way that actually gives us leverage this time if we need to make another change in 3-4 years. 

if we need to make a change, I am betting we'll have cause and won't have to pay a buyout

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, immamac said:

You guys do realize that the whole Texas job is fuckstomp everyone but OU and maybe an OOC game with pure talent advantage and in 3 maybe 4 games a year actually coaching well and making in game adjustments. 

If they just let the best players play with simple plays it would be better than what Herman was doing. Sark knows how to play with elite talent and he knows what to expect with elite talent. He coached the NFL and Sabans NFL like squads. He knows how to make playmakers playmakers. The rest will take care of itself. 

I agree with this however Bama had 6 first team All-Americans to our 1.

17 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

Herman lost me when he hugged Mack Brown at his press conference.  Sark could have taken a shot and I would have felt better than after that fake, false hug.  That hug transferred Mack's inner turtle to Herman.

Herman sucked ass, no doubt, but stupid takes like this are the entertainment I truly live for.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, jinx said:

I sure as hell hope not, but that would be the safe bet

What about my factually based complaint that we have 3 conference championships in 25 years compared to the 14 of our “biggest rival”

This is the CDC thread.  You can blame him for the past 25 years if it floats your boat, as that is the Surly way along with evaluating the success of a hire on day 1. 

There are no guarantees in this business, even if we had managed to to land Urban Meyer.  Every coaching hire should elicit a Missouri "show me" reaction from all of us.  Winning is not everything or the only thing, but it will rightly be the primary factor in determining whether replacing Herman with Sarkisian was a good move.  Some of you apparently know the future.  Good for you.  I'm going to give Sark a chance to show me.

As for how much involvement CDC actually had in this hire, it is clear to me that CDC's job is to take all the blame for any program failures, and to get zero credit for the successes, especially when they are not related to football.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Sark was THE hot name this year so its not like we were the only ones who wanted him. He turned down other jobs.

Correct. Outside of Meyer I do feel like we properly chose the best football coach of the bunch outside of Meyer. Yes his past stops weren't as successful as we would like in a head coaching candidate but he has grown up a ton. That maturation will pay dividends for us and his learning in the NFL and under Saban will help him out a ton. I also like that we went the "coordinator" route. It shows that our administration left no stone unturned on their candidate pool. 

• Like 1

One of the things intriguing about Sarkisian is the difference in the two programs at which he succeeded.  By most accounts, Pete Carroll was a fun, friendly player's coach.  There had to be some kind of hardass in there somewhere, or maybe he was just a better Mack Brown.

Contrast that with Saban and his system.

This guy has been around.  Doesn't mean he actually learned anything, but having an alcoholic meltdown and recovery in the middle of it probably means he was a little more receptive than say, Tom Herman.

40 minutes ago, immamac said:

You guys do realize that mack brown wasn't fired for 9+ win seasons and no hardware right? He was fired because he gave up and no one could get him to ungive up at Texas. 

Sark will be mack 2.0, which last time I checked was a pretty fucking dope ass time to be a longhorn fan until 2010+ 

6 CCG appearances and 2 National Championship appearances in 12 years? Sign me the fuck up. More is better, but I won't complain about that level of performance. Nowadays it would have been more like 10/12 appearances if it was the round robin and not divisional format. 

^ look at this fuggin guy. lol

10 hours ago, jinx said:

CDC is not responsible for the past ten years in the desert. First: FUPM had a coterie of fanbois w $$$$ to screw up the “Saban deal”. Add, these names to that shit show/transition: DeLoss Dodds, Joe Jamail, Bill Powers, $teve Patter$son 🤬, Mike Perrin (no offense but not all ex-players are good coaches, OR good A. D.s (**sidebar: see Sou Cal here, Mike Garrett, Pat Haden, Lynn Swann) then Gregg Fenves. Now roll tape to CDC, Hartzel and Eltife et al. And then they hire Sark.  As always, time will tell. Hope springs external for all college football fans,  except in Burnt Orange land it means WINNING and winning BIG! That’s also an expectation. It has not been that way for a decade. That changes now. Get onboard. Or don’t. But fat, drunk and cynical is no way to go through life . . .(SWID ...nvm). I’ll close with this Zen moment from my favorite eastern philosopher, Berra the Yogi : “Predicting is difficult. Especially as to the future.” Hook em.   

• Hook 'Em 7

10 hours ago, jinx said:

...but I still have no clue why we had to string out firing Herman.  And the public statement saying he was staying was a huge fuck up.  Then we fire him out of the blue and announce the new coach within hours and can’t even get the press conference set up on the network that we fucking own.  Everything Rod B said on the air Saturday was spot on.  

CDC must think it was important to keep Herman around through NSD1 or he didn't want to fire him until the season concluded. To keep his word? Establish his authority? Who knows.

Otherwise, he should've fired his ass after ISU and rolled with Ash as interim.

32 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

One of the things intriguing about Sarkisian is the difference in the two programs at which he succeeded.  By most accounts, Pete Carroll was a fun, friendly player's coach.  There had to be some kind of hardass in there somewhere, or maybe he was just a better Mack Brown.

Contrast that with Saban and his system.

This guy has been around.  Doesn't mean he actually learned anything, but having an alcoholic meltdown and recovery in the middle of it probably means he was a little more receptive than say, Tom Herman.

Watching Big Noon Kickoff with Reggie and Matt talking about how hard they practiced and how competitive Carroll made everything shows you that yes he did have fun with the guys but when it came down to it there was ultra competition and hard coaching. 

I think Texas was reluctantly going to stay with Herman per CDC’s statement only because Urban said a final hard no and there wasn’t a slam dunk hire available but once it got out that Herman contacted SC about their HC job, BMDs demanded he go.  CDC was left with egg on his face and Sark was available.  Fuckery

Edited by Horn80
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

I think Texas was reluctantly going to stay with Herman per CDC’s statement only because Urban said a final hard no and there wasn’t a slam dunk hire available but once it got out that Herman contacted SC about their HC job, BMDs demanded he go.  CDC was left with egg on his face and Sark was available.  Fuckery

Its possible you are right but I think Herman was gone and we have a limit of 5-6M for a football coach.  Sark was the highest on the list that said yes.  there is no strategy here, unfortunately.  you are certainly correct about the fuckery.  Everyone gets to cross their fingers, AGAIN.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

As the dust is settling, it's clear that no one really knows wtf happened here or who did what.

Yet, people continue to condemn Del Conte.

It's peak surly.

I agree no one knows.  We have a limit as to what we will pay for a HFC at UT.  Most people/coaches we want are fine and dandy where they are for the same price.  this is not complicated. we got the guy who got his pay doubled/tripled to be the head coach at a Top 5 job. just like the last 2 times.

We think we've hit on our Lincoln Riley.  whatever.  we needed to fix this badly but we've decided to do what we always do.  offer some money and go down the list until we get to the guy that says yes.  The only time we didn't was when DKR got involved.  

We aren't committed.  We are a University that has a football team and that's OK. We'll keep doing this in 4-5 year increments(while budgeting for the buyouts) until the coin lands on heads.

I can say this.  he better be the recruiting witch everyone says he is.