Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

9 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

3 loss Texas team fills the 4th playoff spot this year!!!

"So the bracket is of course the number one seed, Alabama, the Crimson Tide undefeated, winners of the SEC. Number two seed, as expected, undefeated ACC champion Clemson, and number three of course is Ohio State, again the winners of the Big Ten. Guys, I think the big surprise is the four seed, a lot of people thought it might be one-loss Pac-12 champ Oregon, there were some rumblings Georgia or Notre Dame might slide in there, and of course Oklahoma as the Big 12 champion was the heavy favorite to land that fourth slot. Instead we get 8-4 Texas, which not only didn't win its conference but lost to OU twice by a combined 70 points. I guess my question to you, Joey Galloway, what the fuck?"

"Reese, what the fuck indeed. It's a hard one to figure. I mean, Jesse, you gotta look at what the committee did here and really say 'what the fuck'."

"Joey, yeah, no doubt, you and I were watching the selection show together and I remember we both said that same thing when Texas was selected fourth, you know, 'what the fuck'."

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

48 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Just imagine what happens if Sark can right the ship and we start winning again.  I think Hartzel and Eltife realized how critical football was to future of the university and its donor base and funding.  A winning football team not only brings more donor dollars to football but donors are more inclined to donate to their majors and other things the university needs.  What really struck me is when Hartzel said he considered Sark an investment and out of all the available options he was the best one for the university to make.  I think that's why Eltife and Hartzel took the reins from CDC on the hiring.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Tex48 said:

Just imagine what happens if Sark can right the ship and we start winning again.  I think Hartzel and Eltife realized how critical football was to future of the university and its donor base and funding.  A winning football team not only brings more donor dollars to football but donors are more inclined to donate to their majors and other things the university needs.  What really struck me is when Hartzel said he considered Sark an investment and out of all the available options he was the best one for the university to make.  I think that's why Eltife and Hartzel took the reins from CDC on the hiring.  

• CDC is a good fund raiser & building projects AD. 
  • But considering James Franklin, and Gary Kubiak as candidates for the Head Coaching job at TEXAS showed how terrible CDC is at selecting coaches.
  • Then almost allowing Mike Stoops to be hired because they are friends from CDC's University of Arizona days, just shows how truly unfamiliar CDC is with the relationship between TEXAS & blOU.

Mike Stoops was one of the worst negative recruiters towards TEXAS during his time at blOU.  His volatile demeanor, and inability to connect with today's CFB players is another time bomb waiting to happen at FAU.

Thank God someone blocked the Stoops hiring. And also thank God that Eltife and Hartzel stepped in to help with the hiring SARK.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, KYHorn said:

Close, just need to bring the burnt back to the jersey as well

49 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Please, please, please do all of that. I hate how there is very little burnt in our orange. The late 90s, early 2000s unis were the best 

The Texas uniform twitter account posted a picture a couple years ago of all the jerseys since the 90s, Reebok through Nike and the color was near identical which blew my mind. I'll see if I can find it.

1 hour ago, vtaenz said:

The Texas uniform twitter account posted a picture a couple years ago of all the jerseys since the 90s, Reebok through Nike and the color was near identical which blew my mind. I'll see if I can find it.

That's certainly possible, especially if the reason is advancements in TV technology or something, but perception is reality. If it is technically the same color, but it certainly doesn't seem to be, then making it slightly more burnt might make sense

2 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Please, please, please do all of that. I hate how there is very little burnt in our orange. The late 90s, early 2000s unis were the best 

That bullshit about the different materials affecting the hue is...bullshit, man. I have 20 year old cotton t-shirts that have been washed countless times that are still darker orange than my newer cotton t-shirts. If it really is due to the way the material looks in the light, then adjust the tint until it looks right to the 99% of us who think it’s too bright.

And while we’re at it, bring back the darker Longhorn helmet decal. That’s the real Mack Brown curse and the reason we’ve sucked shit through a straw for years.

Fuck Nike. They need to consult Reebok. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, vtaenz said:

A while back, the university or someone affiliated with Texas football said the color hasn’t changed - it’s the camera that’s changed. Or somesuch. 

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

That's horseshit. They even call it "Texas Orange" now. I got a hoodie from my mother in law for Christmas, and it is totally the other UT color. Pisses me off to no end. Fuck whoever changed it with a 10 foot pole.

UT gear has taken a nosedive since Steve Patterson got involved. Not having 47 brand as a maker of UT gear blows. Can’t get a nice, fitted cap like they make anymore.

• Hook 'Em 5

15 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

That's horseshit. They even call it "Texas Orange" now. I got a hoodie from my mother in law for Christmas, and it is totally the other UT color. Pisses me off to no end. Fuck whoever changed it with a 10 foot pole.

I suspect that has more to do with offshore manufacturing and quality control than anything the university does or doesn't do.

The University, or it's agent (CLC), could insist on rigorous burnt orange, which they probably do with team uniforms, but for cheap-ass licensed consumer goods, it would just run off licensees.

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

someone tell Randolph Duke we're somehow going to be OK even after firing Herman!

you know what, never mind, don't tell him

I think he knows.

His issue is taking money from employee paychecks and skipping debt payments supposedly to keep the lights on, then increasing spending by tens of millions on new coaches.

Face it, Chris Del Conte lied to all of us about the necessity to institute staff pay reductions. He skipped a debt payment without good reason. 

The blatant dishonesty bothers Randolph. At least that is what he told me. 

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

32 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

We should all take some time out to feel sorry for those who are worth a shit at their jobs.

There. That ought to do it 

I don’t personally care about the employees other that for the fact it takes a lot of behind the scenes work to win a championship.

Taking money from the staff and missing debt payments under false pretenses doesn’t do much to motivate the behind the scenes individuals. 

I would have preferred honesty and integrity. 

Tom Herman's buyout isn't a lump sum payment, it will be paid out in monthly installments out of cash flow. I get that. UT athletics generates enough free cash flow in normal times to easily handle what Herman is owed.

I also appreciate almost everyone inside Bellmont is overpaid. The salary reductions reflect a far more reasonable pay. The positions eliminated were bloat that the athletics department didn't need, but could easily fund.

My concern is that winning a championship in football requires a lot of people doing a lot of small, seemingly insignificant things, right. While justifiable, the salary reductions had to cause some discontent on the part of people we desperately need to step up their game. Falsely representing the financial position of the athletics department to rationalize taking money from the paychecks of the staff was wrong. It was despicable.

I filed an Open Records Act request to get the 2020 calendar year financials from a number of schools, including UT Austin. I am working on an analysis of the finances of a number of programs. That should be ready next month.

I just wish we could have some trust in the words of the people being paid millions to run the school's athletics program. I know many will disagree with me, but I think integrity matters.

Integrity seems to be missing from how Chris Del Conte is running the athletics department. I wish it were otherwise. But it is what it is. I am shocked and deeply disappointed in Chris. I expected better from him. I never thought I would question his personal integrity.

Personally, with the underlying lack of honesty and integrity, I don't see UT Athletics doing well over the next few years. The lack of honesty and integrity on the public stage makes me believe there are far deeper problems that we aren't yet aware of.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

actually winning a championship requires an excellent coach, a Top 10 draft pick QB(unless you are Nick Saban, then you can use any QB you like) and a serviceable OL.

Yes university and govt employees are way overpaid, in general, given their benefits.  the Texas AthDept is just an extension of that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

The positions eliminated were bloat that the athletics department didn't need, but could easily fund.

I get your point, but people were bitching (pre-COVID) about CDC not getting rid of the Bellmont bloat. If he had just done that his first year (and then not extended Herman’s contract), he would have avoided some of the current criticism. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I get your point, but people were bitching (pre-COVID) about CDC not getting rid of the Bellmont bloat. If he had just done that his first year (and then not extended Herman’s contract), he would have avoided some of the current criticism. 

The bloat is the salary drain from the political hires. As I’ve said, I’ve requested the 2020 financials for about 40 schools. I’m interested to see those numbers.

I stand by my earlier comments that CDC was wrong in taking money from employee pay, and then magically discovering unlimited funds to confer inter-generational wealth to yet another football coach, with no consideration whatsoever to fulfilling the obligations to the staff we desperately need to “up their game.”

The one who needs to “up their game” is CDC.

21 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Tom Herman's buyout isn't a lump sum payment, it will be paid out in monthly installments out of cash flow. I get that. UT athletics generates enough free cash flow in normal times to easily handle what Herman is owed.

I also appreciate almost everyone inside Bellmont is overpaid. The salary reductions reflect a far more reasonable pay. The positions eliminated were bloat that the athletics department didn't need, but could easily fund.

My concern is that winning a championship in football requires a lot of people doing a lot of small, seemingly insignificant things, right. While justifiable, the salary reductions had to cause some discontent on the part of people we desperately need to step up their game. Falsely representing the financial position of the athletics department to rationalize taking money from the paychecks of the staff was wrong. It was despicable.

I filed an Open Records Act request to get the 2020 calendar year financials from a number of schools, including UT Austin. I am working on an analysis of the finances of a number of programs. That should be ready next month.

I just wish we could have some trust in the words of the people being paid millions to run the school's athletics program. I know many will disagree with me, but I think integrity matters.

Integrity seems to be missing from how Chris Del Conte is running the athletics department. I wish it were otherwise. But it is what it is. I am shocked and deeply disappointed in Chris. I expected better from him. I never thought I would question his personal integrity.

Personally, with the underlying lack of honesty and integrity, I don't see UT Athletics doing well over the next few years. The lack of honesty and integrity on the public stage makes me believe there are far deeper problems that we aren't yet aware of.

giphy.gif

15 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

The bloat is the salary drain from the political hires. As I’ve said, I’ve requested the 2020 financials for about 40 schools. I’m interested to see those numbers.

I stand by my earlier comments that CDC was wrong in taking money from employee pay, and then magically discovering unlimited funds to confer inter-generational wealth to yet another football coach, with no consideration whatsoever to fulfilling the obligations to the staff we desperately need to “up their game.”

The one who needs to “up their game” is CDC.

Have you ever requested a personal interview with CDC to ask him directly about his strategies?

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Have you ever requested a personal interview with CDC to ask him directly about his strategies?

I've talked with CDC. I still believe in CDC. I understand that anyone who takes over the UT Austin program will have a very steep learning curve.

I still don't think Chris is comfortable asserting his vision onto UT athletics. 

I have a good relationship with the TCU staff. They have a deep respect for what CDC did for their program.

People don't give the TCU "BMDs" credit for what they have done over the past 20 years.

I have a deep problem with Chris taking money from 200 staff member because of "financial necessity," then in less than 90 days finding "unlimited funds" to fire Tom Herman and hire Sarkisian. In my mind, he needs to address that issue.

I want to believe CDC. I sincerely believe he has the potential to exceed every athletic director at UT.

The South End Zone project wasn't funded by alumni, it was funded by the corporate interests coming into Austin. The thought that one big donor has the ability to influence UT Austin athletics is fantasy. The program self funds. When I get the financial reports, I will set out why I feel this way.

We don't need "lucky sperm club" donors making yet another wrong hire. We need to find someone who knows how to run a quarter billion dollar collegiate program through the next round of conference restructuring.

Chris Del Conte needs to up his game. He needs to tell the donors with a shit record of hiring head coaches their services are no longer needed on the 40 Acres. He needs to restructure UT athletics.

I think he is the right person, but that window is closing. He needs to start delivering soon.

Personally, I need him show me how the UT baseball experience draws the fans back in. I need him to explain how the programs that have competed for national championships (*cough*swimming/diving*cough*volleyball*cough) are going to be supported moving forward.

My personal goal is at least one national championship each year at UT Austin. Stanford has longed kicked our ass in that respect. I'm tired of that.

Austin has become a national destination for relocation. It is time UT Austin becomes a national university. I'm tired of dealing with aggy. We need to start competing against the likes of Stanford.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I have a deep problem with Chris taking money from 200 staff member because of "financial necessity," then in less than 90 days finding "unlimited funds" to fire Tom Herman and hire Sarkisian. In my mind, he needs to address that issue.

Seek therapy. If BMDs wanted to donate to save jobs in the athletic department I'm sure CDC would have taken the money. Blame the fat cats, not him.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I've talked with CDC. I still believe in CDC. I understand that anyone who takes over the UT Austin program will have a very steep learning curve.

I still don't think Chris is comfortable asserting his vision onto UT athletics. 

I have a good relationship with the TCU staff. They have a deep respect for what CDC did for their program.

People don't give the TCU "BMDs" credit for what they have done over the past 20 years.

I want to believe CDC. I sincerely believe he has the potential to exceed every athletic director at UT.

The South End Zone project wasn't funded by alumni, it was funded by the corporate interests coming into Austin. The thought that one big donor has the ability to influence UT Austin athletics is fantasy. The program self funds. When I get the financial reports, I will set out why I feel this way.

We don't need "lucky sperm club" donors making yet another wrong hire. We need to find someone who knows how to run a quarter billion dollar collegiate program through the next round of conference restructuring.

Chris Del Conte needs to up his game. He needs to tell the donors with a shit record of hiring head coaches their services are no longer needed on the 40 Acres. He needs to restructure UT athletics.

I think he is the right person, but that window is closing. He needs to start delivering soon.

Personally, I need him show me how the UT baseball experience draws the fans back in. I need him to explain how the programs that have competed for national championships (*cough*swimming/diving*cough*volleyball*cough) are going to be supported moving forward.

My personal goal is at least one national championship each year at UT Austin. Stanford has longed kicked our ass in that respect. I'm tired of that.

Austin has become a national destination for relocation. It is time UT Austin becomes a national university. I'm tired of dealing with aggy. We need to start competing against the likes of Stanford.

Thank you for your reply. 

42 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I just don't think this is going to happen.  Dodds' great contribution to UT was the LHF, which was designed to decouple BMD from outsized influence.  It didn't work for that purpose because BMD have "too many ways in."  If CDC tells them to pound sand, they go to Hartzell or whoever is President.  If both tell him to pound sand, they go to the Regents.  They threaten to withhold all contributions.  They threaten CDC's job.  And so on and so forth.