Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

In a cool move, Del Conte is naming the Lower Club/Loge area of the SEZ after DeLoss.  And then probably charging DeLoss' family full freight for F&B.  

Edited by Lobo

14 hours ago, Lobo said:

In a cool move, Del Conte is naming the Lower Club/Loge area of the SEZ after DeLoss.  And then probably charging DeLoss' family full freight for F&B.  

If true, why not name after someone else who is an alumnus ??

Don't forget back in 2016: "UT renames street for former athletic director DeLoss Dodds" 

https://www.chron.com/sports/longhorns/article/UT-renames-street-for-former-athletic-director-9984591.php

4 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

that basketball number is wildly inflated.  We are about to be ranked about number 20+ any day now.  

Which brings up the question.  Does CDC have the stomach to handle the basketball situation if we lose a first round NCAA game?  I don't think so. 

I am going to guess that it's less an issue of "stomach" than of money.  We have now blown our load on football coaches, so that bigger money and higher profile issue is out of the way.  

The question then becomes can we muster the money to fire Shaka and hire someone else.

I am quite convinced that the issue has always been money for a sport secondary to football with an impending coach change looming.  Well, it's no longer looming.

26 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I am going to guess that it's less an issue of "stomach" than of money.  We have now blown our load on football coaches, so that bigger money and higher profile issue is out of the way.  

The question then becomes can we muster the money to fire Shaka and hire someone else.

I am quite convinced that the issue has always been money for a sport secondary to football with an impending coach change looming.  Well, it's no longer looming.

I believe CTJ said during the coaching search that money is already set aside for Shaka if he doesn't meet the goals given to him.

6 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

that basketball number is wildly inflated.  We are about to be ranked about number 20+ any day now.  

Which brings up the question.  Does CDC have the stomach to handle the basketball situation if we lose a first round NCAA game?  I don't think so. 

Yeah, I know there's been some cancellations due to the pandemic, but we haven't won a basketball game in 4 weeks (Saturday, 16 January).  That's a long stretch.  And it's starting to look like we're probably getting outed in the first round of the tourney which will mean...we haven't won an NCAA Tournament game since 2014.  7 Years, going on 8 Year real soon.  Last time we had a streak that bad was 1979-89.  And Lemons and Wetlich didn't exactly get contract extensions out of the matter.  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I know there's been some cancellations due to the pandemic, but we haven't won a basketball game in 4 weeks (Saturday, 16 January).  That's a long stretch.  And it's starting to look like we're probably getting outed in the first round of the tourney which will mean...we haven't won an NCAA Tournament game since 2014.  7 Years, going on 8 Year real soon.  Last time we had a streak that bad was 1979-89.  And Lemons and Wetlich didn't exactly get contract extensions out of the matter.  

I know K-State is terrible, but it still counts as a win....

• Haha 1

Oh shit, forgot about that game the other night.  My bad.  Been a long week.  

Okay, one win in 4 weeks.  I think we're 1-4 with 3 cancellations in the last 4 weeks.  

I'm genuinely surprised we haven't postponed that game with TCU tomorrow.  I guess TCU is probably on their way here in a few hours.  

Bottom line-I like del Conte, he's taking us in the right direction overall.  But he has to understand, I know Hartzell does, that we don't have unlimited buckets of cash for all this shit.  Eventually, it's all gonna come to a screeching halt.  

And this is not on Chris, but every year it boggles the mind...how bad we fucked up with the Longhorn Network.  I mean, we made a shit-ton of money off of it, but how did we not use that better for recruiting?  Disney/ABC/ESPN gave us a truck of cash and paid for all the first-rate production and we get to tell baseball players and basketball players that their families can see them play every single home game from afar...and we fucked it up.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Oh shit, forgot about that game the other night.  My bad.  Been a long week.  

Okay, one win in 4 weeks.  I think we're 1-4 with 3 cancellations in the last 4 weeks.  

I'm genuinely surprised we haven't postponed that game with TCU tomorrow.  I guess TCU is probably on their way here in a few hours.  

Bottom line-I like del Conte, he's taking us in the right direction overall.  But he has to understand, I know Hartzell does, that we don't have unlimited buckets of cash for all this shit.  Eventually, it's all gonna come to a screeching halt.  

And this is not on Chris, but every year it boggles the mind...how bad we fucked up with the Longhorn Network.  I mean, we made a shit-ton of money off of it, but how did we not use that better for recruiting?  Disney/ABC/ESPN gave us a truck of cash and paid for all the first-rate production and we get to tell baseball players and basketball players that their families can see them play every single home game from afar...and we fucked it up.  

How did we fuck it up? What could they have done differently? Nobody watches that channel except for live events. The fact that they have to run the same LHN commercials 100 times a day is proof that nobody watches so they cant get advertisers to pay. It was a flawed concept. there simply isnt enough content. I had it for years and only watched for games. And depending on where you live, theres a decent chance your package doesnt even carry it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

How did we fuck it up? What could they have done differently? Nobody watches that channel except for live events. The fact that they have to run the same LHN commercials 100 times a day is proof that nobody watches so they cant get advertisers to pay. It was a flawed concept. there simply isnt enough content. I had it for years and only watched for games. And depending on where you live, theres a decent chance your package doesnt even carry it. 

This. Squandered resource. I’ve never understood why we didn’t use the LHN to program and broadcast every single event on campus, athletic and nonathletic, that wasn’t otherwise licensed.

We could also highlight major research projects to attract students and donors. They did that recently with one project on noise research, then played it every 20 minutes like every other thing on the network. Why not a couple of hundred of those?

Coach profiles, professor profiles, student athlete profiles? Promo videos for the programs on campus? More shows like the Augie cooking show - literally the best thing ever programmed on the channel that wasn’t a replay of an Aggy or OU loss.

I’ll stop there because it ain’t gonna happen and I don’t really know why.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

This. Squandered resource. I’ve never understood why we didn’t use the LHN to program and broadcast every single event on campus, athletic and nonathletic, that wasn’t otherwise licensed.

Probably because the Mouse and ESPN are in charge of programming decisions.  

4 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

We could also highlight major research projects to attract students and donors. They did that recently with one project on noise research, then played it every 20 minutes like every other thing on the network. Why not a couple of hundred of those?

Coach profiles, professor profiles, student athlete profiles? Promo videos for the programs on campus? More shows like the Augie cooking show - literally the best thing ever programmed on the channel that wasn’t a replay of an Aggy or OU loss.

Doesnt ESPN foot the production costs? I would guess the production costs would be high and if its not sports focused nobody in the country would give a shit except UT grads, and I suspect that would make the network even more unprofitable for ESPN. It wont drive National advertising thats for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

I might guess that because producing those shows takes some money.  We have the student resources and equipment to do some of it, but not all of it.  Nobody wants to cut too deep into the $20mm it generates for us.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I might guess that because producing those shows takes some money.  We have the student resources and equipment to do some of it, but not all of it.  Nobody wants to cut too deep into the $20mm it generates for us.

This is interesting thought.  If I remember correctly, Dodds said the original idea was to create a platform to get more of the tier two sports publicized and he originally approached the A&M AD about doing it together and they declined.  He didn't think it would make that much money but ESPN eventually came and threw money bags at us and the Longhorn network came to be.

You would think there could have been some happy medium where we forgo some portion of the $20mm and make some content that people may want to watch.  Maybe they should consider treating it more as a marketing tool and less like a revenue source.  Probably too far down the road now.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, PhillyD said:

This is interesting thought.  If I remember correctly, Dodds said the original idea was to create a platform to get more of the tier two sports publicized and he originally approached the A&M AD about doing it together and they declined.  He didn't think it would make that much money but ESPN eventually came and threw money bags at us and the Longhorn network came to be.

You would think there could have been some happy medium where we forgo some portion of the $20mm and make some content that people may want to watch.  Maybe they should consider treating it more as a marketing tool and less like a revenue source.  Probably too far down the road now.

I’m sure that if we showed up and told ESPN- hey we’d like to invest x million of our own dollars into doing X, Y and Z content wise they’d be more than happy to let us. I can’t imagine any reason they’d view that as a problem. 
we won’t do this, of course, but that’s on us, not the deal. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Sweet jesus if there is full capacity and SEZ construction completed, the Louisiana game is going to be absurd with all the Covid re-opening hype. 

They may have to do away with the first-come-first-serve student section for that game--stampede likely. 

On 2/12/2021 at 1:27 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It would be a great place to showcase some of the work being done in the film school too.

"work"

lol I dated RTF majors they go to a classroom and watch movies, used to go with them to class to catch some relaxation time

"interpersonal relationships" was another doozy of a class

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/12/2021 at 2:40 PM, MAUFRAIS said:

they used to screen student films.  also showed performances at the cactus cafe.

i don't know if they do anymore, because i switched to youtube tv which doesn't have it, despite it being on google fiber, which i thought was the same fukn company.

This sums up the complaints in a nutshell.  They should do X, they did and no one watched.  It's not exactly a compelling case study, ESPN launched a channel when half the country was getting rid of cable and it failed. 

In '79 you could take "Interpersonal relationships", "Drugs in our society", and "History of rock and roll".

Sex drugs and R&R.

I.R. didn't give the help I was seeking in uhhhh, getting what I was interested in.

Drugs in our society was a scared straight experience.

History of R&R was fun. Guy sitting next to me in class explained that he hated "The Doors" because his best friend in H.S. suffered brain damage after being hit by a trash truck and loved "The Doors".

End of rambling reminiscence. 

On 2/12/2021 at 1:27 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It would be a great place to showcase some of the work being done in the film school too.

They showed a student video that was set to Welcome Home by Radical Face that was one of the coolest things I had ever seen.  I haven't found it anywhere else, and only saw it once on LHN.  More of that kind of thing would have been great.  I've gone to Youtube TV too, and would like to have LHN back, but not that badly.

• 2 weeks later...