Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

Love CDC. That comment about LHN is very on point. I love the channel, in that it allows me to watch a lot of sports I couldn’t otherwise, but he confirmed that opposing coaches are able to completely breakdown our playbook from it. Gotta change up the content before next season or we’re shooting ourselves in the foot.

50 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Love CDC. That comment about LHN is very on point. I love the channel, in that it allows me to watch a lot of sports I couldn’t otherwise, but he confirmed that opposing coaches are able to completely breakdown our playbook from it. Gotta change up the content before next season or we’re shooting ourselves in the foot.

That's actually one bit I don't completely buy. I admit I don't watch LHN except for live sports broadcasts, but is it true that they broadcast portions of practice that give away our strategery to opponents?

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

That's actually one bit I don't completely buy. I admit I don't watch LHN except for live sports broadcasts, but is it true that they broadcast portions of practice that give away our strategery to opponents?

of course not. they show drills for the most part and there is barely any footage of the drills to begin with. if opposing coaches can glean our whole strategy and playbook by watching QBs throw into a net and DBs backpedal under a gate, then more power to them!

Edited by Longhorn94

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Maybe it was based off of some offhand comment that Patterson made to CDC, trying to make himself look smart.

21 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Maybe it was based off of some offhand comment that Patterson made to CDC, trying to make himself look smart.

Well he referenced TCU specifically, so I assume that is something he heard directly from the staff over there.

I was thinking he might have been talking about the Longhorn Weekly with the coaches where they break down a lot of plays, saying what went right, what went wrong, etc. I always assumed it was fairly basic stuff that anybody with the slightest ability to breakdown film would already know, but maybe there's more to be gleaned. Logically thinking, the more you broadcast publicly, the more advantage others may be able to gain.

6 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I was thinking he might have been talking about the Longhorn Weekly with the coaches where they break down a lot of plays, saying what went right, what went wrong, etc. I always assumed it was fairly basic stuff that anybody with the slightest ability to breakdown film would already know, but maybe there's more to be gleaned. Logically thinking, the more you broadcast publicly, the more advantage others may be able to gain.

Lots of schools have coaches shows where they do this.

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

With all the stupidity that people 'round these parts float about uniforms, I honest-to-God cannot tell if you are being serious.

No, we need to ask him about more important things, like:

1. When will grass be "eminent?"

2. Until then, when will they paint the endzones and logos in our color instead of the weird Tennessee-Okie Lite hybrid?

3. Why don't the beer guys walk the aisles in my section until mid-2Q?  I'm way past done with my first two walk-in beers by then.

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Well then let's just go with Patterson talking out of his ass then.

2 hours ago, Nope said:

Well he referenced TCU specifically, so I assume that is something he heard directly from the staff over there.

Last four years:

2017/11/04  Texas    7  -  TCU     24   
2016/11/25  Texas    9  -  TCU     31   
2015/10/03  Texas    7  -  TCU     50   
2014/11/27  Texas   10  -  TCU     48  

of course not. they show drills for the most part and there is barely any footage of the drills to begin with. if opposing coaches can glean our whole strategy and playbook by watching QBs throw into a net and DBs backpedal under a gate, then more power to them!
I'm pretty sure I've seen something 'interesting' on lhn over the years. not much, but I'd be surprised if the didn't give something away unintentionally a time or two.

not that it should matter, but it does for losing teams.

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen something 'interesting' on lhn over the years. not much, but I'd be surprised if the didn't give something away unintentionally a time or two.

not that it should matter, but it does for losing teams.

anymore than watching the 22 film from previous games / season?

On 3/28/2018 at 8:51 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Don't know much about him other than what I've read on here/Shaggy.

I did see a segment a couple of nights ago where he had ok'd removing the green fence in left field of Disch-Falk.  He then showed up to mingle with the fans.  That was enough for me.  Dickhead Patterson would have doubled the height of the fence and covered it with ads.

I am one of those LF peeps. I’ve been attending UT baseball games for 28 years and never met an AD. CDC shows up and I’ve already had two brief conversations with him. As far as atmosphere and understanding that things like tailgating make the experience, he completely gets it. Previous ADs wanted people like us gone. He is hanging out with us, taking the wall down, putting charcoal boxes out there to dispose of them properly, etc.

I am a big believer in what he is trying to do here and think he will get the job done. I fully expect to be competitive across the board in 3 years.

• Like 2

IT:

THE CHRIS DEL CONTE FAN CLUB

Del Conte's outreach has been impressive. Smart people sit back and observe before making any rash decisions and that's what CDC has been doing since the beginning of December, but we're reaching the point where we'll likely see his observations put into effect. As written in the past, we're going to see some reorganizing this summer and the magnitude will likely register on the national landscape.

CDC also has plans to streamline the fan experience. @wethorn had a great post highlighting some of the things Del Conte is willing to state semi-publicly.

One of CDC's priorities is addressing game day. Wet had a quote from Del Conte stating your experience at Disney begins in the parking lot. Del Conte certainly wants to improve the fan experience and part of that is lessening the corporate feel. Okay, so not exactly like Disney.

The entire goal of game days will be to promote the school and program rather than corporate sponsors. Novel concept. That isn't to say all sponsors will be removed but an example: first downs won't be brought to you by anybody other than the Texas Longhorns. Chico’s Bail Bonds will have to find a different avenue.

The weather might not be as big of a topic either if you're picking up what I'm putting down. Unless there's lightening, who cares besides your frizzy-haired girlfriend?

In the past Texas had a couple of dozen people 'in charge' of the game day production. Del Conte has already done away with that and has one person calling the shots. Del Conte is apparently aware a camel is a horse drawn by a committee.

You should see game day changes as soon as April 21st.

From Wet's post you can tell Del Conte understands he's competing with the comforts of home. To that end he wants to improve vending which means he wants to improve food. His goal is cold beer, hot and good food, and championship football. I'd posit the beer is colder and the food better when the football is championship level, but you get the point. Del Conte is an everyman.

He's entirely focused on the details. They're working on configuring ways to make the students a bigger thorn in the sides of opposing teams. [Insert your apathetic Texas student fan joke here]. This will also improve with championship football. Step 1 is to get them in place and that's being addressed.

Here's another small detail that is very telling. Del Conte didn't like the fact the players had to walk by so many dumpsters on the way to the locker room on game days. He actually knew the number of how many and had them removed. While you're crafting your 'played like trash' joke, I'll mention this won't have a net effect on wins, it's just telling of how the man operates.

Cigars I talk to are not the easiest to impress but they're in full swoon-mode over CDC. Said one, "they've had some wonderful people working to raise money in the past, but they never had people who would flat out ask you for money. You have to ask for money. They're doing that now." Del Conte makes light of asking for money but that's part of his schtick, and it works.

Confidence is ultra high in the new Athletic Director. Said one, "he could get a cemetery moved if needed."

• Like 1

Sounds good, but didn't that Miami Jewess Patterson hired to pimp out basketball and other sports have some Disney connection?

In the event, that is the first thing I thought of when I read the Disney bit.  Perhaps I am deranged.

Regardless, Del Conte seems to care what Longhorn fans think and not what they ought to think, according to him, which is where Patterson went horribly wrong.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 3/26/2018 at 2:20 PM, rickyspub said:

One of my favorite CDC tweets:

"We are looking at a cross of Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 4 quarters on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff."

That was me

On 3/30/2018 at 8:47 PM, Machinator said:

The weather might not be as big of a topic either if you're picking up what I'm putting down. Unless there's lightening, who cares besides your frizzy-haired girlfriend?

Why the fuck can't anyone spell "lightning"? 

But either way, does this mean Fit Lump's fuck boy won't interrupt the game to tell us it's currently sunny?

2 hours ago, Assman said:

Why the fuck can't anyone spell "lightning"? 

But either way, does this mean Fit Lump's fuck boy won't interrupt the game to tell us it's currently sunny?

That clownass weather reader? He's annoying as the Taco Bell gong.

On 3/29/2018 at 12:34 PM, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I think the LHN quote may be a set up for why we see changes with it and maybe even see it change to a Big 12 network.

That would depend on what ESPN & UT see as the long-term goal for LHN after 2031... If I recall at the end of contract, UT will have complete rights and could look to have a national network that broadcast members as Tech/ TCU or even Rice... 

Or as you mentioned an expanded XII network, as ESPN will have the chance to resign rights to Kansas & Oklahoma (and other XII members) before the end of GoR's... It's possible that if ESPN signed most of the schools including KU & OU, maybe just extend the contracts to match the 2031 date for LHN...

By 2031, the Big 12 conference will be a relic of history. There simply is no reason for Texas to remain tied to Tech, Iowa State, Baylor, etc. There is no way Del Conte signs a deal changing the LHN that delivers less revenue to UT and contractually obligates UT to any partnerships with any Big 12 member school other than OU past the expiration of the Grant of Rights.