Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

Ugly as fuck.  How hard is it to just mimic the north end but put that club at field level and 2 rows of suites at the top?  Hell if you want to do those towers of suites just finish them to look more like the ramp towers on the corners of the stadium.  That modern design isn’t cohesive at all.  

6 minutes ago, Ldogg53 said:

Ugly as fuck.  How hard is it to just mimic the north end but put that club at field level and 2 rows of suites at the top?  Hell if you want to do those towers of suites just finish them to look more like the ramp towers on the corners of the stadium.  That modern design isn’t cohesive at all.  

Add twin board in corners to “frame the skyline” over the end zone 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Did y'all get the survey?  They're looking at Club Boxes, and Field Level Access Suites to fill that south end zone.  I just spent way too long responding to the survey, yelling at clouds. 

My older brother did. Not sure how he replied. Hopefully with dissatisfaction. 

I completely agree with Ldogg. Looks like shit. 

I love that they are finally renovating the sez but the execution is frustrating. It's way too modern and doesn't look like it belongs with the rest of the stadium. The orange structures look like they belong in a modern art museum. I don't know why it's so hard to make it flow with the rest of the stadium. Also, regarding the field level box seats, who the hell pays that much for that shitty of a view?

I got survey. I’ll say this, I bought field level club seats last year for Texas vs USC and it was awesome. One other major improvement USC does vs Texas is if you have club seats you get free beer/ wine. Texas nickels and dimes you in the club section at DKR. 

Texas still uses the same yellow tickets you have to buy that they used when they first opened the club. You buy a $100 in tickets and it’s like you’ve been at chuckie cheese for a birthday party. Just ridiculous. 

Survey had a ton of different configurations and price points. Will be interesting to see where they land. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

How much are the field level access suites? Those sound bad ass and different. 

They had a couple of options. Field level 4 top was I want to say 4-5k. Plus they were asking for around 20k contribution to building fund. 

Full blown field suite for 16 was 20-30k I believe and 150k I contribution.

i May be off a hair on exact amounts. There were like 5 or so permutations. 

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

How much are the field level access suites? Those sound bad ass and different. 

how do you watch the game from the field level in the end zone? I'm sure there would be a few TV's in the suite, would that be the main option?

Edited by Viper

I just spent way too long on that survey as well.  While I'm all for south end zone renovations and other upgrades that we know are necessary for recruiting purposes, I just don't give a damn about club/box seating and I'm worried about adding more seats, when we already have problems filling the stadium as is.  Also, sticking a bunch of people (or corporate douches) in new club/box seats will continue to undermine the stadium atmosphere.  We already have lots of empty seats during games in the east side club seats and north end zone club areas, in part because a lot of those people sit inside in the A/C bullshitting, instead of out in their seats watching the friggin game.  And yes, not playing scorching Sept day games might help. 

Since the survey also touches on game day atmosphere, we also need to address the student section/attendance issues.  In part because I sit on the west side, I always enjoy watching a big rowdy student section and the game atmosphere is best when the students are there in force, liquored-up and loud.  However, as many have discussed, our student sections have become less than stellar, but that's a whole different issue.

Clearly we need a south end upgrade, but I have absolutely zero interest in sitting there, regardless of price points.  Hell, you couldn't pay me to sit at field level and not be able to see anything.  I guess some might find that experience cool...once, but no way I'd want crazy-expensive season tix there.  Especially now that we have beer, I'm there to watch the damn game and do everything else (eat, hang out, socialize, etc.) before and after.

Typing this confirmed I am old as shit.

It is a different viewing experience from field level but it is cool when they are coming towards your end zone. Definitely a different field and while I am not sure I would want it for every game, it is a novel way to watch a game.

Would have been amazing last year in OT had Sam not fumbled as he Texas was driving into the end zone where the field seats were to win the game.

I had 3 comments.

1) It is all about the game.  Being able to see it, having a good opponent, and winning.

2) Quality and choice of beer is important.

3) Close San Jacinto on game day.  No fucking parking.  Turn it into a massive tailgate game day party zone.

Also said I haz no monies and I haz sads and can’t buy shit like that.

not that hard to accomplish their goals by mirroring the north endzone and having the loges and field level suites integrated into that same shape.  Wouldn't be that hard to reduce capacity by simply adding real seats to a few more areas.  This is not that hard, but every college football stadium seems intent on making it look like shit every time.

22 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

From the survey it’s clear these renovations are aimed it high end seats and $$$$$$.

Another $$ grab.  I took the survey and said, "not interested, we don't need to build a living room for people who aren't there to watch football".

5 minutes ago, gecko said:

Another $$ grab.  I took the survey and said, "not interested, we don't need to build a living room for people who aren't there to watch football".

These are the type of money grabs we should support. None of us are currently sitting there and we will not be when the suites are done. If it takes away from the obnoxious, in game advertising and makes it louder along with helping recruiting.....why not?

Gave my season tickets up when Mack was coach,  and won't buy back in.  To dam old. Home + TV coverage much easier than game day.  Down to about 1 game per year now.  

My .02c on the pics. I've seen on SEZ renovation is,  dam we can do a lot better that that.  

Edited by Laga4

15 minutes ago, Goodman said:

These are the type of money grabs we should support. None of us are currently sitting there and we will not be when the suites are done. If it takes away from the obnoxious, in game advertising and makes it louder along with helping recruiting.....why not?

Overall I agree with your sentiment, but I don't believe for a second that they'll do anything to reduce or minimize the in-game advertising.  They're looking for incremental revenue,  not looking to trade one revenue stream for another.  

Something's got to pay for all those F150s for the recruits.

13 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Overall I agree with your sentiment, but I don't believe for a second that they'll do anything to reduce or minimize the in-game advertising.  They're looking for incremental revenue,  not looking to trade one revenue stream for another.  

Something's got to pay for all those F150s for the recruits.

We will see, it'll never be ND IMO but it can be similar to what bama/mich do. CDC and Coach seem to have a very clear plan for games and the spring game was not a preview but a test site. Trending in the right direction IMO.

I am not good without design so I really have no comments on the actual look of the proposed renovations.  I also don't care about what kind of suites or shit they put in the south endzone as I will never sit there, so let them maximize revenue.

My one thought is that the Capitol building and downtown Austin need to be visable from inside the stadium.  To me those views are special.  The University of Texas prides itself on being the flagship university of the state of Texas.  Embrace that as much as possible.  The university has something unique that not many other p5 schools do, a great modern city.  There are very few big time schools that provide a view of a skyline of a great city like UT can.  There is no other state capitol building as grand as ours is.  Show off both of those from the stadium unlike any other school in the country can.

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

if we are supposed to be there to watch the game, why do we need to keep the capital view?

No shit. Our season tickets are on the west side, so I can’t see the skyline anyways. But at no point during a game do I stop and think to myself “I must see the skyline from here. Fuck this shit, I’m out.”  Besides, the Capitol is full of assholes anyways. Fuck em. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

No shit. Our season tickets are on the west side, so I can’t see the skyline anyways. But at no point during a game do I stop and think to myself “I must see the skyline from here. Fuck this shit, I’m out.”  Besides, the Capitol is full of assholes anyways. Fuck em. 

Yeah, what percentage of stadium seats actually have a Capitol view anyway?  The west side doesn't, does any of the NEZ?  Probably plenty of the northern seats on the eastern side don't either, because of the size of the west side grandstands. 

36 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

With the huge ads on the scoreboard it's obvious Texas is trying to get back to the good ol' days when Texas was atop the annual rankings in revenue... that was such a long time ago. Now...

L5qdSY0.gif

our revenue was 183.5 million, up 14% from last year and 27.8% from 5 years ago. We only missed out on #1 because of A&M having a huge donation drive that isn't repeatable year in year out, i.e. we'll be #1 again when the numbers from 2017 come out.

http://www.businessinsider.com/schools-most-revenue-college-sports-2016-10#3-ohio-state--1672-million-23

21 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, what percentage of stadium seats actually have a Capitol view anyway?  The west side doesn't, does any of the NEZ?  Probably plenty of the northern seats on the eastern side don't either, because of the size of the west side grandstands. 

Yeah, but when LHN/ESPN comes back from the halftime commercial break they get a really cool shot zooming back in from the capital.

2 hours ago, Goodman said:

Let's agree to disagree.  One example why I think this is BS...these premium seats will come with premium parking.  They said as much in the survey.  So there goes another parking lot for people who probably won't even show up (check out the orange chair backs in the north end zone as evidence).  This sets off a cascade of displaced parkers and with resulting higher dollar access to the remaining parking.  The people there for the actual game are going to end up parking in Round Rock and being bused in.  No thanks....this is indeed a $$ grab.

• Like 1

We are one of very few P5 schools that is in a city with not only a skyline, but a beautiful one at that.  Sure, less than 50% of the fans can see that skyline in the current stadium configuration, but I'd hate to lose one of the things that makes our campus and stadium special.  If you put upper decks on all four sides, you might as well be in Collie Station or Tuscaloosa.

• Like 1

The skyline is still there, even if you can’t see it from inside the stadium. There’s a thing called object permanence that we get when we are around 6 months old. 

You will see the skyline from the 35 upper deck, from walking to the stadium, you may even walk around the area before and after the game. 

There will still be camera shots from blimps, helicopters, or the sky cam of it in relation to the stadium. 

A small % of the seating that can still actually see it, would no longer be able to see it just like the majority of those inside. That’s it. 

Tv will also continue to show the shot of the capital from the south mall. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 3

On 4/24/2018 at 6:13 PM, Assman said:

I really hate when different sections of stadiums start at different levels or use different seating angles, creating those ugly walls on either side of the new SEZ as shown in the pic.  The Shoe has this same thing, among other stadiums, and it looks ugly af.  Why can't they just continue the lower bowl all the way around continuously? 

i really hate ohio stadium's SEZ.  looks terrible. 

that said, they can't mirror the NEZ and also have the new SEZ be mostly premium suites/lounges.  and there's the problem of the field house.

15 minutes ago, elfenix said:

that said, they can't mirror the NEZ and also have the new SEZ be mostly premium suites/lounges.  and there's the problem of the field house.

Again, wrap the current suites all the way around for symmetry. Wrap about 20 rows of seating from the ground for symmetry. In between, some combo of video board and suites and clubs to connect the top suites to the lower seating. Do not extend the east upper deck. 

Guessing this would require either building on top of the field house or knocking it down and building it from scratch onto the new structure. 

8 hours ago, elfenix said:

OU did, pretty much what many are talking about.  Loge boxes, decks and larger seats within the same shape of the existing stadium.  Could even go with larger seats like Jacksonville and Miami have in their loge areas, with pretty much loungers and some table areas.    Its why I cringe when I see something like Louisville is doing.  Its really not that hard.  Perhaps architects see something like OU and think, "meh" ?

South-endzone-expansion-082816.jpg

ou-background-6716870871.jpg

72ClubLRB4.jpgCorner-Terrace-JN2_5170.jpg