Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

CDC filled a career's worth of accomplishments at TCU. Amazing the legacy he and Patterson are leaving there. I'm so glad to have him here, but there's something toxic about our patterns. The sort of innate thing that can only be broken up by someone that has a crystal clear picture of what needs to be done and is willing to assert himself to put those decisions to action, even if it puts his job and legacy in jeopardy. I'm hoping CDC is that guy, his job is about 10x harder here than it was at TCU. Seems to be going well so far. 

12 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

You know it was recently pressure washed and repainted and actually looks much better now, right?

It looks like we power washed our 1950s driveway. Lipstick on a pig. it should have the same brick color scheme as the rest of the stadium. 

25 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

You know it was recently pressure washed and repainted and actually looks much better now, right?

It does look 100% better since that simple cosmetic fix was done.

Now if the restrooms in the old concourse area up behind Section 1 were upgraded from prison chic to..... ?

27 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

It does look 100% better since that simple cosmetic fix was done.

Now if the restrooms in the old concourse area up behind Section 1 were upgraded from prison chic to..... ?

Bevo’s stable

Edited by TexasTroll

The west side needs to be knocked down so everything about the stadium is symmetrical. The overhang and exterior are complete eyesores. The stadium will never look like it should unless that happens.

It would be extremely expensive to tear down and rebuild the west side of the stadium. It’s perfectly functional and doesn’t look that bad. Any AD that would consider doing that for only aesthetic purposes should be fired on the spot considering all of the pressing facility needs we have right now.
  • Like 2

And from the sound of it, those in-game weather reports may be gone — just like Jet Pack Guy. Same holds true for some of those overbearing advertisements Texas fans have complained about for years.

“In-game, we went from a script of 26 pages — third down provided by Jiffy Lube! — and then the next thing — first down provided by Flat Tire!… well, we don’t need all that,” Del Conte said. “We don’t need to know what the weather is every time. The weatherman tells us it’s hot. Hell, we know it’s hot. So the idea is we’re going to control our in-game scripts and try to make it about the band.”

After that last line, the crowd broke out in spontaneous applause

I can't believe I'm hearing this from a UT AD.   I'll really believe when I see it but, damn, this is promising - a plan, any plan, to get rid of that nauseating shit polluting our game day environment.

It's ironic coming from CDC that he's going to focus on the band, since the TCU football atmosphere last year was so utterly ridiculous. I guess he's truly able to listen  to what the people want. I assume that TCU fans clamored for non-stop party music in between every play.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It would be extremely expensive to tear down and rebuild the west side of the stadium. It’s perfectly functional and doesn’t look that bad. Any AD that would consider doing that for only aesthetic purposes should be fired on the spot considering all of the pressing facility needs we have right now.

Perfectly functional sounds like the architectural creed of the soviet bloc inspired aggy campus. I don't think an AD caring about the aesthetic beauty of our stadium is some out of whack desire, whether the powers at be decide its worth the money or not. Especially when there are a lot of our opponents stadiums out there that look much better. 

• Fuck You 4

It's ironic coming from CDC that he's going to focus on the band, since the TCU football atmosphere last year was so utterly ridiculous. I guess he's truly able to listen  to what the people want. I assume that TCU fans clamored for non-stop party music in between every play.

But honestly what traditions do TCU have? They’re only relevance is the late 1930s and the 2000s

3 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I’d prefer that we focus on what the team on the field looks like not the outside of the stadium. 

No shit!. But the athletic department does need a complete bowel cleansing, starting with you know who. 

22 hours ago, Dallas-jo said:

I bet you are one of those individuals who supports the Hellraisers

Hell raiser hate on the shag was always stupid. You have students who show up late, old people who sit the whole game, and yet the silly face painted fans are what you complain about? If they're making noise, that's all that matters.

And no, I was not a member.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thepop said:

Hell raiser hate on the shag was always stupid. You have students who show up late, old people who sit the whole game, and yet the silly face painted fans are what you complain about? If they're making noise, that's all that matters.

And no, I was not a member.

You can make noise and not look like a jackass. Embarrassing as hell.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

You can make noise and not look like a jackass. Embarrassing as hell.

Very much this. Those guys are embarrassing. The fact that that so often become the face of the fan during away games makes it worse. They are no different than corps nerds or fat crying ou clarinet players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Gardner Barnes said:

TrumpWrong.gif

The hellraisers are worse than all those things. Except Dylan Haines.

Whom you listed twice.

Math is not your strong suit, no?

7 hours ago, thepop said:

I'll give you 50 today and 50 tomorrow if you wish.

1.      Left Tackle

2.      Beer prices

3.      Opposing fans being louder than home crowd

4.      End zone color

5.      Center

6.      Dylan Haines

7.      Fans who wear clothing not burnt orange or white

8.      Weatherman

9.      Beer selection

10.   Turf instead of natural grass

11.   Right tackle

12.   Advertisements

13.   Weatherman

14.   Old alumni who take all the good seats and don’t get loud

15.   Jet Pack guy

16.   Tight End

17.   Late arriving students

18.   Whatever student ticketing system they had last year

19.   Making students pay for tickets altogether

20.   Dylan Haines

21.   Godzillatron playing music instead of the band

22.   Giving the visiting fans good seats

23.   Charlie Strong Special Teams

24.   Left Guard

25.   Tim Beck

26.   Advertisements

27.   Fan turnout at 11am games

28.   Right Guard

29.   Drew Mehringer

30.   Fans not knowing how to do The Eyes correctly

31.   Ticket prices

32.   Parking

33.   The Longhorn logo below the collar is unnecessary

34.   Wifi

35.   Traffic

36.   Everything being sponsored

37.   Tim Beck

38.   Jersey colors are not correct

39.   Manny Diaz’s defense that one year

40.   That dumb beep beep truck backing up sound they play when there’s a flag on other team

41.   Pizza Hut Pizza delivery thing

42.   Band placement

43.   Shawn Watson

44.   Fans who treat the game like a social event

45.   Seating arrangement of students

46.   Garrett Gilbert

47.   Concessions (do these still suck? Idk)

48.   Weatherman again because it’s that bad

49.   Dylan Haines

50.   The overall product on the field since 2010

Jesus h Christ. I bet you're a real joy to sit next to at a football game

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Viper said:

um, half this thread is people complaining about the gameday atmosphere and praising CDC saying the right things about changing it. But we are giving @thepop shit for making a list of it?

We are giving him shit because he admires the hellraisers. 

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article210776309.html

In a matter of months, it's apparent that Texas found the right person to be their next DeLoss Dodds and lead the giant, organized mess that is Bevo's athletic department.

The scales are different, but what former TCU AD Chris Del Conte is doing at Texas has countless similarities to his tenure in Fort Worth, from the sweeping construction plans for stadiums to handling the uncertainty surrounding his basketball coach. And possibly even his football coach.

The specter of a few more ish seasons in Austin from its two money sports has a lot of good people in Fort Worth fearing that the old boss will call his former TCU coaches and summon Gary Patterson and or Jamie Dixon to the state capital.

A lot of people within TCU's athletic department are optimistic that given Del Conte's relationship with the university, and current AD Jeremiah Donati, he will look out for his former school whenever college athletics goes through its next re-organization. What Texas wants, Texas gets.

However, most people are curious/fearful if a situation or two should change in Austin, Del Conte would not hesitate to try to hire the coaches who made him so successful at TCU.

Don't rule out the phone call, but do not conclude an exodus is a given. Patterson is 58, and king of the hill in Fort Worth. Dixon just signed an extension, and appears to have zero ambition for that job.

Football coach Tom Herman and basketball coach Shaka Smart are as yet not vulnerable, but this is UT where expensive decisions merely require a text, and why you can never dismiss such moves.

Despite the perception that Smart should be sweating his job because of his record, and the school's desire to build a new arena, Del Conte said one is not tied to the other.

"It's unfair to say that. The reality is Shaka took over a team from Rick Barnes and made the (NCAA Tournament), and then he lost six or seven guys from that team," Del Conte said Wednesday. Del Conte returned to his old neighborhood now wearing burnt orange as part of UT's annual trip for its high profile coaches to visit with alums and fans in separate events Dallas and Fort Worth.

"The next year they had pieces. The next year they went to the NCAA Tournament. They have a great recruiting class coming in and he lost a kid to cancer (diagnosis) during the season. Shaka did a yeoman's job. He's a hell of a coach.

"I firmly believe we are headed in the right direction in basketball."

Whereas Del Conte's tasks at TCU were dramatically different than the challenges he inherited/creates at UT, the issue is still the issue at UT: Filling up cavernous arenas/stadiums in Austin in an increasingly fractured entertainment market with teams that need to win more.

UT has not had a 10-win season since 2009, is riding a four-game losing streak to TCU, and a one-game losing streak to Kansas in Lawrence (sorry ... couldn't resist).

Herman is entering his second season, and as a result he's fine for another year or two after his first team finished a blah 7-6.

Smart, however, is three years in at Austin. His first team, with Barnes' players, was his best. The Horns have made two NCAA Tournaments in his tenure, but are 50-50 overall.

All basketball coaches in Texas enjoy a longer grace period because the interest level doesn't compare to football, but UT and Del Conte are currently working on a new on-campus arena that will affect Smart's timeline.

"It's going to be like the Dickey's Arena in Fort Worth, only it will be a joint venture with the city and the university," Del Conte said.

The venue's top priority will be entertainment, and specifically music acts. Nonetheless, UT is going to need some more pop from its basketball team when it moves into a new arena.

"I am not one to sit around. We are going to push the envelope and we are full-steam ahead," Del Conte said. "We are just rolling, and what we are doing with our arena for basketball will be different because it's with the city. I love where it's going. We have to win games, and we know that, too."

What Del Conte can control is creating an atmosphere at their respective games that people want to be a part of, and convincing wealthy people to invest in a respective university.

There are few better in college sports at doing just that.

He has announced plans to update portions of Darrel K. Royal Memorial Stadium, as well as new plans to make the game day experience in Austin for a UT football game more festive. Part of those plans is to close San Jacinto Drive around DKR to automobiles and turn it into a long avenue of partying.

Fans should also expect free concerts near the stadium on game days.

Del Conte calls it "R&D - Ripoff and Duplicate."

"You are creating a fan experience around the stadium and a reason to come. It's no different than Disney World," he said. "It's the same concept. We are asking people to spend discretionary income on a game at a university. The university game is a celebration of the university. The issue is, 'What are we going to change?'"

Right now the only thing CDC is changing are stadiums and arenas, so Fort Worthians and TCU faithful don't need to sweat.

If Bevo flops in football and basketball, don't assume an exodus of TCU's best coaches to Austin is a given, but don't rule it out.

49 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Wow. What an unbelievably dumb article. Both coaches likely have a minimum of two more years. Starting speculation about hiring away TCU coaches is just lazy journalism/grasping at straws to fill an article quota.

To be fair, there are a lot of people on the basketball board who think this next season is make or break for Shaka. Always take public interviews with a grain of salt, but it's increasingly clear that he's not going anywhere unless we have a repeat of 2016.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

To be fair, there are a lot of people on the basketball board who think this next season is make or break for Shaka. Always take public interviews with a grain of salt, but it's increasingly clear that he's not going anywhere unless we have a repeat of 2016.

Regardless, he’s making up speculation out of thin air for an event that won’t happen for a minimum of one year and much, much more likely 2 years. It’s still a shitty article either way.

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

6 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Regardless, he’s making up speculation out of thin air for an event that won’t happen for a minimum of one year and much, much more likely 2 years. It’s still a shitty article either way.

Not to mention that the article concludes by stating that neither Patterson nor Dixon appear to have any interest in their corresponding Texas jobs--even if they were to come open.

9 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

TrumpWrong.gif

The hellraisers are worse than all those things. Except Dylan Haines.

Whom you listed twice.

It was more than twice and thatsthejoke.gif

1 hour ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Wow. What an unbelievably dumb article. Both coaches likely have a minimum of two more years. Starting speculation about hiring away TCU coaches is just lazy journalism/grasping at straws to fill an article quota.

Yeah, the article only has two purposes - First to throw out baseless speculation about CDC possibly coming for TCU's coaches and second to take potshots at UT's recent struggles in football and basketball.  Obviously written by a small-peen TCU homer.  Pure garbage.

I'm not sure there are 100 more embarrassing things about our gameday than the HRs, but there are certainly plenty.  Sure they're dorky, but they're college kids and you see dorky college kids at every school, or at least every school with fans that actually go to football games.

None of them are anywhere near as embarrassing as grown-adult fans at NFL games doing the same thing, or even dressing like "dawgs" or Darth Vader.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Yeah, the article only has two purposes - First to throw out baseless speculation about CDC possibly coming for TCU's coaches and second to take potshots at UT's recent struggles in football and basketball.  Obviously written by a small-peen TCU homer.  Pure garbage.

"Rival" fanbases love to create myths about how their coaches turned down UT whenever we have a coaching vacancy. The article attempts to lay the seeds for this narrative. 

Patterson wanted the job and he and Mack had basically discussed it. They're very close. Patterson was upset about how we handled Mack's firing and told his UT buddies he's not interested in the job anymore. Exhibit C of how Mack has screwed us over.