Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

6 hours ago, gecko said:

CDC’s rather defensive posture on twitter on this issue seems out of character. This whole subject and the resulting criticism seems to have hit a nerve with him

I’d say it’s because idiot student created the major safety issue at the LSU game by acting inhuman and the staff has had to respond to their stupidity. He’s trying to protect them from themselves, and all they can do is be assholes. 

• Like 1

Big ticket I assume is the current nomenclature for what was the longhorn all sports package when I was gracing the 40 with my presence?

i liked having the student season ticket. Maybe have sections for student season ticket holders who prefer having an assigned seat, then another section GA for those that like to show up in a group?

Assuming it’s a decent split, that should lessen the strain. 

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Was it general admission seating when you were a student?

'81-83 we had the ticket draw.  You took your ID (and others if you had a group) to Belmont whenever they opened the ticket window and gave it to the staff.  If you had a group of 4 people they would pull that number from that giant chickenwire drum I referenced in the game thread and handed it to you.  Somehow they kept track of who had drawn tickets. But you had an assigned section (I'd have to look to see if they had seats).  

Tech had general admission and gave you a book of tickets to everything at the beginning of the semester.  You had to show up early to Jones Stadium to get the seats you wanted.  

I'll go dig out some old stubs if I can find them.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bullneck said:

'81-83 we had the ticket draw.  You took your ID (and others if you had a group) to Belmont whenever they opened the ticket window and gave it to the staff.  If you had a group of 4 people they would pull that number from that giant chickenwire drum I referenced in the game thread and handed it to you.  Somehow they kept track of who had drawn tickets. But you had an assigned section (I'd have to look to see if they had seats).  

Tech had general admission and gave you a book of tickets to everything at the beginning of the semester.  You had to show up early to Jones Stadium to get the seats you wanted.  

I'll go dig out some old stubs if I can find them.  

79-83 checking in to confirm, but I never saw the chickenwire drum. True or not, that becomes part of my old man lore. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

79-83 checking in to confirm, but I never saw the chickenwire drum. True or not, that becomes part of my old man stories. 

The drums were right behind the people working the ticket booths at Belmont. As I recall, they had one each for two, three and four ticket bundles. You hand them the ID’s (with sports pass stickers on them), they’d reach into the appropriate drum, and hand you 2, 3 or 4 tickets, rubber banded together, randomly drawn assigned seats.

Genius in its simplicity.

I was there from 84 to 88. My recollection is that we would take our student ID’s to Belmont and would draw tickets. I forget how many ID’s we could take to sit as a group. We would have different seats each game. The OU game was a lottery if memory serves me correctly.

The only time that you could sit in generally the same location was if you signed up to do the flash cards.

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Assigned seating only works if the students actually show up.  And by show up I don’t mean stroll in just before halftime.

Then do what someone suggested earlier. If your ticket wasn’t scanned by a certain time, you get some sort of penalty for future draws. 

21 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

The drums were right behind the people working the ticket booths at Belmont. As I recall, they had one each for two, three and four ticket bundles. You hand them the ID’s (with sports pass stickers on them), they’d reach into the appropriate drum, and hand you 2, 3 or 4 tickets, rubber banded together, randomly drawn assigned seats.

Genius in its simplicity.

Thanks. I couldn't quite remember how they divided the tickets in different bundles.  Sweatergawd, I recall the "Athletics package" or whatever it was called was dirt cheap.  

19 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

I was there from 84 to 88. My recollection is that we would take our student ID’s to Belmont and would draw tickets. I forget how many ID’s we could take to sit as a group. We would have different seats each game. The OU game was a lottery if memory serves me correctly.

The only time that you could sit in generally the same location was if you signed up to do the flash cards.

That's right.  Only the OU game was different.

Edited by Bullneck

1 hour ago, Gravy Train said:

Fuck off, Gunter.  

1. Sanford is dumpy in comparison

2. Washing the stadium out in red is gimmicky

3. Burnt orange is among the most difficult colors to replicate with LED lighting and often requires a fourth (amber) emitter

Unfortunately, the comments are almost unanimously in support of Gunter’s shitty idea. 

Assigned seating only works if the students actually show up.  And by show up I don’t mean stroll in just before halftime.

Well, whatever in the fuck that was Saturday night didn’t work either, and was as bad if not worse than anything I’ve witnessed in 30+ years of attending games as an adult (the student apathy years notwithstanding).

They need to completely start over
  • Like 2

Well, whatever in the fuck that was Saturday night didn’t work either, and was as bad if not worse than anything I’ve witnessed in 30+ years of attending games as an adult (the student apathy years notwithstanding).

They need to completely start over
  • Haha 1

I’m just going to keep adding that in the VY years, students had “group” season tickets and it worked perfectly.  You and your friends created a group via the internet the summer before, you got your season tickets e-mailed to you, and you got to tailgate and stroll in 10 minutes before like everyone else.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

Fuck off, Gunter.  

1. Sanford is dumpy in comparison

2. Washing the stadium out in red is gimmicky

3. Burnt orange is among the most difficult colors to replicate with LED lighting and often requires a fourth (amber) emitter

My friend at the game said the effect was really cool in person. And he's an ND fan, so no real dog in that fight.

Anyone who says the student sections sucked during the VY/Colt days is only remembering the Iowa State 11am snooze fests - and we had a lot of those. For a game like okie state with a 7pm kick, the student sections were packed by kickoff and were loud as fuck. 

Can you imagine how empty the stands would've looked this weekend had this been a morning kickoff? You think students would've lined up at 8am to get in? Now imagine that same scenario, except we're playing Kansas. 

• Like 1

As I recall in 1962 & 1963, the first home games had no reserved student seats, just first come first served with your $15 Blanket Tax card. After that, the $2.50 student seats were reserved spots. Can’t remember when or where we got those, but I think it was a game by game draw. Too much alcohol in those years.

i do remember the shittiest location they gave me was row one of the wood bleachers in the south end zone. The cinder track ran around behind that setup, and the tennis courts were situated behind the little wood frame scoreboard where the field house is now.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

We had general admission last season and none of this was an issue.  General Admission combined with the SEZ construction combined with a bunch of entitled twats with a twitter account whining about safety caused the problem.

Maybe if you had two kids in that crowd of students that turned into a mob you'd be whining about safety.  Maybe you're too young to remember the 1979 Who concert in Cincinnati.  That concert sold 14 thousand general admission tickets with 1 entrance gate.  The numbers here were similar.  Color me an "entitled twat' if you think being concerned about my twins' safety is silly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zone Read said:

Maybe if you had two kids in that crowd of students that turned into a mob you'd be whining about safety.  Maybe you're too young to remember the 1979 Who concert in Cincinnati.  That concert sold 14 thousand general admission tickets with 1 entrance gate.  The numbers here were similar.  Color me an "entitled twat' if you think being concerned about my twins' safety is silly.

Sounds like something an entitled twat would say. Also: 

3bbvs3.jpg