Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:

Does anyone know how those idiots in state college and college station assign student tickets?

A&M does it by a mix of classification and first-come-first serve (or at least they did many years ago, not sure if its changed with the new stadium).

On Monday, Seniors could go pick up tickets at the stadium. Tuesday - Juniors, etc etc. If you wanted the best tickets as seniors, you camped out in line the night before. Wasn't a bad way to do it IMO

13 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Michigan students all get in thru one gate.  So do Notre Dame students.  Gates open 1.5 hours prior to kickoff for both.  

Don't know just guessing here, but maybe Mich and ND having simple bowl stadiums with tunnels at the back of the section makes entry more efficient/easier.  Students enter the tunnel and have to walk all the way down to the front rows.  At DKR when students are entering through the lower tunnels which are nearer the front of the section, once the first several rows are full students have to turn around upon getting through the tunnel and work their way up, causing the "traffic" to move slowly.

Similar to how loading Southwest planes is slow due to people sitting near the front, whereas if people entered at the back of the plane and walked all the way to the front it would speed things up.

Edited by LonghornSean

* There wasn't an industry-wide attendance problem in college football in 2005
* Practically speaking, no smartphones
* No one in 2005 said "I'd rather stay at home and watch the games on my 32" SD Trinitron"
* The games are longer
* Nebraska, Colorado and Texas A&M aren't in the Big 12 anymore
* The student body of 2019 is more diverse and might not be as reliably wedded to the cultural institution of "go sit in a stadium for four hours and watch football" if their family of origin didn't soak them in it from infancy. 
so, you blame soccer?

sounds reasonable.

13 hours ago, Girdwood said:

Lol at anyone that thinks CDC himself is on twitter responding to this horseshit.

He may not respond to all, but I was at an event where CDC and Fenves were speaking.  After CDC spoke, he was sitting in row in front of me and I watched him (and followed on Twitter) respond to numerous tweets while Fenves was speaking.

On 9/22/2019 at 11:07 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

* The student body of 2019 is more diverse and might not be as reliably wedded to the cultural institution of "go sit in a stadium for four hours and watch football" if their family of origin didn't soak them in it from infancy. 

How do they feel about standing in line and then sitting in the sun for 3-4 hours before the 4 hour game starts?  Culturally?

4 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

We had general admission last season and none of this was an issue.  General Admission combined with the SEZ construction combined with a bunch of entitled twats with a twitter account whining about safety caused the problem.

General admission last year had multiple entrances.  Not so much this year, with just one entrance on Saturday.

4 hours ago, GTNY said:

A&M does it by a mix of classification and first-come-first serve (or at least they did many years ago, not sure if its changed with the new stadium).

On Monday, Seniors could go pick up tickets at the stadium. Tuesday - Juniors, etc etc. If you wanted the best tickets as seniors, you camped out in line the night before. Wasn't a bad way to do it IMO

eatinglist.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GTNY said:

Also at least as of 2013 they had "assigned seats" in the student section but each "seat" was literally like 9 inches of bleacher so you got real acquainted with the people crushed against you during the game if anything close to the max capacity turned out. That JFF v. Bama 2 game was ludicrous.

Edited by Thermos H. Christ

6 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Does anyone know how those idiots in state college and college station assign student tickets?

Penn State doesn’t. You get wristbands and it’s two gates. They’ve had issues with it not filling up in the first quarter but that’s not an issue as much now and I’m not sure  how they solved it. It’s first-come, first-served  

It’s the biggest student session in the country - iirc it’s 23,000 allocated student tickets. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

6 hours ago, Zone Read said:

Maybe if you had two kids in that crowd of students that turned into a mob you'd be whining about safety.  Maybe you're too young to remember the 1979 Who concert in Cincinnati.  That concert sold 14 thousand general admission tickets with 1 entrance gate.  The numbers here were similar.  Color me an "entitled twat' if you think being concerned about my twins' safety is silly.

I remember 1979 is this ain't that. Seriously man, come on now.

On 9/23/2019 at 1:16 PM, GTNY said:

aggy's issue is the mad rush to the exits seven minutes into the 3rd quarter.

• Like 7

Bill McRaven said it best a few years ago when asked about renewing the A&M football series..."With the support of the UT System, UT-Austin is pursuing a goal to become the top public research university in the nation.  Continuing to associate with Texas A&M, even just a football game, does not serve that goal in any way.  But I'll leave it to the UT administration to decide."  

We do not require validation by playing Texas A&M.  We have plenty of other big games on our slate.  I am sorry some of you are related to Aggies that clamor for us to play together again, tell them to shut up and know their place.  The world needs mediocrity in times like these.

23 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

College football doesn’t care if we play aggy, and it never did. 

What is "college football" going to do for us if we start playing A&M again, anyway? Ohio State and Alabama going to say "man, thanks for giving us that rivalry back, now we'll stop recruiting the state of Texas"...?

What is good for college football is a top-five Texas team. We should be doing everything in our power to become that. Everything else is signal noise. 

• Like 1

Ha, they even put out a news release about it: https://news.utexas.edu/texas-vs-texas-am-football-game/

The Texas–Texas A&M football rivalry was played every year between 1915 and 2011, until A&M left the Big 12 Conference to join the Southeastern Conference. Texas leads the series 76–37–5.

The University of Texas recently extended an invitation to Texas A&M to resume their rivalry and play a home-and-home in 2022-23, but the Aggies declined.

The last time the two teams played was in 2011 when the Longhorns posted a 27-25 victory in College Station.

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Bill McRaven said it best a few years ago when asked about renewing the A&M football series..."With the support of the UT System, UT-Austin is pursuing a goal to become the top public research university in the nation.  Continuing to associate with Texas A&M, even just a football game, does not serve that goal in any way.  But I'll leave it to the UT administration to decide."  

We do not require validation by playing Texas A&M.  We have plenty of other big games on our slate.  I am sorry some of you are related to Aggies that clamor for us to play together again, tell them to shut up and know their place.  The world needs mediocrity in times like these.

This is so on point and haven’t seen it before. Pos rep. 

We should continue to schedule games that have more national appeal (USC, ND, Michigan, etc) vs aggy, which is regional and has no upside for us. 

• Like 1

I originally thought Del Conte was just saying these things just to piss aggy off, which is always fun.  However, he seems to be really pushing to play and I'm not a fan of that.  Let them have their perpetual 7-5 and occasional overachieving 8-4 season in the SEC.  I'm happier not playing them.

• Like 1

Yeah, if only we had competitive in-state games versus P5 programs.  If only we played TCU, Baylor, and Texas Tech who are pretty good most years.  

If only we had the balls to play some SEC teams.  If only we could scratch together Arkansas, LSU, Georgia, Florida, and Alabama on our schedule.  

If only we had traditional, century+ old rivalries against regional opponents that have been competitive for decades like Oklahoma.  

So in some people's minds, we need to shuffle the schedule to play a mid-tier in-state rival with very little upside because "rivalry."???  Wow, I can't believe some of y'all haven't taken over del Conte's job.  Blows me away.  

5 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

The best flex for UT would be to renew the yearly rivalry with Arkansas and take one of their "rivalries" right from under them. Its like a 2 for 1. Get to troll aggy and restart a traditional rivalry with an opponent we can dominate every game. Also SECSECSEC.

There are a lot of people on here who don't want to play Arkansas either.

2 hours ago, PhillyD said:

I originally thought Del Conte was just saying these things just to piss aggy off, which is always fun.  However, he seems to be really pushing to play and I'm not a fan of that.  Let them have their perpetual 7-5 and occasional overachieving 8-4 season in the SEC.  I'm happier not playing them.

All of this. The one thing I’m not on the same page with CDC about.

1 hour ago, Bottlecap said:

The best flex for UT would be to renew the yearly rivalry with Arkansas and take one of their "rivalries" right from under them. Its like a 2 for 1. Get to troll aggy and restart a traditional rivalry with an opponent we can dominate every game. Also SECSECSEC.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

There are a lot of people on here who don't want to play Arkansas either.

Yeah, the only problem is that Arkansas is fucking trash, and so are their fans. I don't want to do anything beneficial for those pieces of shit either. 

I'm perfectly happy with the current setup of a legit marquee OOC game every year, and letting aggy die. Let them have nothing, because we don't need them for anything, and if we're winning big and in the playoffs while they're languishing in the middle of the SEC, not winning anything and not even having the ability to spoil our season while we Don Draper Don't Think Of Them At All is the most satisfying outcome possible. 

• Like 3