Help me name a school mascot

Sbbruin

17 minutes ago, HouTex said:

This is obvious but the Rebel name, especially in the South, referenced the Confederacy. Everyone knows that, right? Being in CA, not sure what it means, but it sounds like the school doesn’t want to get involved in the debate. Easier to change the mascot. St. John’s School in Houston went with Mavericks to try to placate alums with a name that sort of meant something similar to a rebel.

Sorry, I should have clarified my question. Obviously, I get the Rebel name in the South. And I understand why California schools would want to change the names now because of the connection to the Confederacy. I can't figure out why they were named the Rebels in the first place.

18 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Sorry, I should have clarified my question. Obviously, I get the Rebel name in the South. And I understand why California schools would want to change the names now because of the connection to the Confederacy. I can't figure out why they were named the Rebels in the first place.

Okies (generically).  Per Woody G, "Oklahoma, Kansas, Georgia, Tennessee".  Mebbe not Kansas, but you get the drift.

22 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Insurrectionists.  Maybe traitors, maybe patriots.  

The Riders - shoulda been the name of the Texans. Simple. Lot of historical/literary images come to mind. Riders of the Purple Sage. The Long Riders. Riders on the Storm. Midnight Riders. It's all good.

Urban dictionary - Associated with Fearlessness

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rider

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

Fighting James Deans (preserves ties to rebel mascot)

Rhinos (always thought that would be a cool animal mascot)

Fleas (pretty fearsome - responsible for the plague)

Phantasms (alliteration)

Freebirds (only if Freebird becomes the alma mater and is played at all school events and functions)

Firestarters

On 1/30/2020 at 6:43 AM, DallasHorn26 said:

We played against a beer league softball team named “off in the woods” it was always great saying “we best off in the woods last night”.

I worked with a guy from Notre Dame that told a good team name story.  His freshman year someone left a lifelike dildo in the mayonnaise bowl in the cafeteria as a prank.

Fast forward a couple months and the intramural basketball names were published.  One of them was "Hey, There's a Dick in the Mayonnaise."  Said they were a terrible team, but after their first win they started calling themselves the "Up and Cummers."

On 1/28/2020 at 6:03 PM, Helobious said:

Some criminally underused animal mascot names: Crocodiles, Gorillas, Silverbacks. Major lulz that some pansy-ass Cali private school ever had the name “Rebels” to begin with. 

Great options for teams full of young, black males. Nobody would bat an eye.

• 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Wayne_hogdong.com said:

Yes it is very feirce! Just like my 7th Grade football team! We had a boy with a clubbed foot just like that fellow in New Orleans who kicked the long field goal. I think you would call him Special Education Handicapped now. But back then he played football with us. He wasn't a kicker though, because he kicked with the wrong foot and to keep his balance he had to jam his little stub foot into the ground as hard as he could so he didn't slip. I think he got moved to a End, Guard, and Tackle after a while! Haha! If you know what that means. He got hit by a car not long after we left town and he had to move to Fort Worth to the hospital there because they had special spine doctors.

Did you all take a short bus to the game?  Just a thought that popped up after reading your post.  

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 7:08 PM, Irish Wrist Watch said:

The Riders - shoulda been the name of the Texans. Simple. Lot of historical/literary images come to mind. Riders of the Purple Sage. The Long Riders. Riders on the Storm. Midnight Riders. It's all good.

Urban dictionary - Associated with Fearlessness

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rider

First thing that comes to mind.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...