RIP Chris Doleman

Hate

Sad story.  Anyone who was a football fan in the 80's and 90's knew all about Chris Doleman.  He was a great player that played on some very good Vikings teams.  58 is way too young.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28589371/hall-fame-defensive-end-chris-doleman-dies-age-58

Hall of Fame defensive end Chris Doleman died Tuesday night after a battle with cancer, the Pro Football Hall of Fame announced in a statement. He was 58.

"The entire Pro Football Hall of Fame family mourns the passing of Chris Doleman after a prolonged and courageous battle against cancer," said David Baker, the Hall of Fame's president and CEO. "I had the honor of getting to know him not only as a great football player but an outstanding human being. One of the honors of my life was witnessing Chris get baptized in the Jordan River during a Hall of Fame trip to Israel.

"The legacy of Chris Doleman will live forever in Canton, Ohio, for generations to learn from how he lived a life of courage and character."

Doleman played for the Minnesota Vikings from 1985 to 1993 and ended his career with the club in 1999.

In 2018, he had surgery to remove a brain tumor.

Doleman, a first-round pick by the Vikings in the 1985 NFL draft, played for nine seasons with Minnesota before spending the 1994 and 1995 campaigns with the Atlanta Falcons and 1996 to 1998 with the San Francisco 49ers. He wrapped up his career in Minneapolis as an eight-time Pro Bowler.

Doleman totaled 150.5 sacks -- with 22 coming during the 1989 season when he led the NFL -- along with eight interceptions and three touchdowns. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2012.

"The Minnesota Vikings express our deepest sympathies to Chris Doleman's family and friends upon his passing," the team said in a statement. "Chris was a great example for players past and present, as he embodied all the best characteristics of a Viking -- resilience, toughness and a competitive spirit. Chris always carried himself with dignity and class. Vikings fans worldwide will greatly miss him."

He was a few years ahead of me at Pitt and while I was friends with a lot of players I did not really know Chris. But I never heard anyone talk Ill of him. He was a joy to watch in college.

I think the other day someone said he Tweeted out that he was two years cancer free. I am not certain about that.

But the last few years have been rough for Pitt fans. Last year Billy Fralic died. Before that John Brown died. Tony Brown died. Craig Heyward died. Not fun.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

4 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

great in tecmo super bowl

Came here to say the same. Here's the full scouting report:

3906501.jpg?312 

The Minnesota Vikings defense starts & ends with 2 elite bookend defenders at the top of the field.

Chris Doleman is one of the most dominant top-side defensive ends in Tecmo Bowl.

Unlike the other team defenses ranked higher, the Vikings don't have a lot of elite players scattered around the field, so they have to make due with just 2.  The other play-maker they have is Joey Browner.

Browner is an elite player from that ever critical top defensive back position & he controls the passing attack & stops the run.      

• Like 1

Doleman and Keith Millard were absolute destroyers. Millard was a bull with an unstoppable motor, but Chris was the first whiff of what was to come. Crazy first step. Footwork. A jab step. Leverage. Tactician. 
RIP, #56. Skol.
Great take. Few were more prototypical of the ends that we are now accustomed to seeing.