Juwan Mitchell is in the portal

texifornia

IT via @satyanash

WHAT HAPPENED WITH JUWAN MITCHELL?

Take this for what it’s worth: I’m told there’s a chance junior-to-be linebacker Juwan Mitchell takes himself out of the transfer portal. But as of right now, Mitchell is in the portal. Mitchell transferred to Texas from Butler Community College before last season and finished 2019 with 39 tackles, including three sacks among 3.5 tackles for loss. But Mitchell had at least two confrontations with strength and conditioning coach Yancy McKnight after failing to make a training session, and drew the wrath of head coach Tom Herman before the Oklahoma game.

I’m told there was another blow up between Mitchell and coaches before the Alamo Bowl. “The list is long,” one team source said. “Up and down is a good way to describe him.” But I’m also told there’s a chance Mitchell will take himself out of the transfer portal. Right now, the loss of Mitchell continues to deplete an already thin linebacker position. Texas is already without starting middle linebacker Ayodele Adeoye, who injured his foot doing some training on his own at home and will have surgery this week, as well as Marcus Tillman Jr., who continues to recover from torn knee ligaments suffered last season.

Both Adeoye and Tillman will miss the spring but are expected back during summer workouts. As we reported in last week’s Eyes of Texas, Herman will be looking in the transfer portal for graduate transfers at linebacker, offensive line and receiver. Mitchell was a teammate at Butler with defensive lineman Jacoby Jones. I’m told Jones is still a part of Texas’ plans going forward.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

But Mitchell had at least two confrontations with strength and conditioning coach Yancy McKnight after failing to make a training session, and drew the wrath of head coach Tom Herman before the Oklahoma game.

I’m told there was another blow up between Mitchell and coaches before the Alamo Bowl. “The list is long,” one team source said.

I know we need linebackers, but if the above is true, I think having him on the team may be worse than losing him to the portal.

• Like 3

I was surprised to see that many transfer portal guys on the 247 list who were Texas HS 4 stars. Most were not grad transfers, so unless a bunch have grade or character issues, there are plenty to pursue.

I didn’t look closely at very many of them, but some had (or claimed to have had) Texas offers out of HS. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

18 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I was surprised to see that many transfer portal guys on the 247 list who were Texas HS 4 stars. Most were not grad transfers, so unless a bunch have grade or character issues, there are plenty to pursue.

I didn’t look closely at very many of them, but some had (or claimed to have had) Texas offers out of HS. 

Huh? There are two guys on the list I see that are Texas HS 4 stars, and we wouldn’t want either. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/TransferPortal/

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Has Eric Ciaramella entered the portal?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Huh? There are two guys on the list I see that are Texas HS 4 stars, and we wouldn’t want either. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/TransferPortal/

Just from the WR list, Crawford, Anderson, Greenwood, and Jackson are still uncommitted Texas HS 4 stars.

It was late when I looked, so maybe I mistook a few high 3 stars for 4 stars or mistook a few who where committed as being non committed.

Half of them are probably passes for various reasons. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

10 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Who was the walk-on who did so well in the bowl game?

[Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.]

It's literally the next post Wait belay that, I posted that in the recruiting thread since we just got a PWO

It's Cort Jaquess

Edited by texifornia

• 1 year later...