Juwan Mitchell is in the portal

texifornia

22 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Why not both?

I kind of hope he tries to pull a Costanza in a few days after he sees his portal options, though.  “What portal?  I’ve been here the whole time. I was running first team yesterday.”  Then again, Todd Orlando would probably take him at USC and consider that fulfilling his LB recruiting duties for the next two years.

Lol funny thing is Alford and Ingram tried to get him to go to USC and they told him to fuck off

Are coaches not allowed to stop the renewal of a player's scholarship if they enter the portal?

Or are players protected from that?

Long term I could see how not renewing any portal peeper's scholarship would be bad for recruiting, but I could see how that would be a benefit to a new coach in the short term.

Edited by Napoleon

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Are coaches not allowed to stop the renewal of a player's scholarship if they enter the portal?

Or are players protected from that?

Long term I could see how not renewing any portal peeper's scholarship would be bad for recruiting, but I could see how that would be a benefit to a new coach in the short term.

If NCAA becomes a business like the players want, they won't like those ramifications I don't think.

Burton

Spoiler

Starting linebacker Juwan Mitchell entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal yesterday.

Mitchell was held out of team activities in early winter to tend to academic issues. Then, upon returning to the field, Mitchell ran with the twos in the first practice of spring.

Rather than taking it as a sign that he needed to pick things up and move forward, Mitchell allegedly pouted and didn’t participate in team functions for the next couple of days.

Mitchell is a fire brand as a player. His tenacity, style and relative production will be missed on the field.

But it’s obvious that Steve Sarkisian and Pete Kwiatkowski didn’t come to town to play around.

They’re asking for buy-in from all players at all times. It’s clear that Mitchell wasn’t bought in all of the time.

We’ll be watching to see if talented Houston sophomore David Gbenda takes command of the position with Mitchell’s departure.

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Burton

Hide contents

Starting linebacker Juwan Mitchell entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal yesterday.

Mitchell was held out of team activities in early winter to tend to academic issues. Then, upon returning to the field, Mitchell ran with the twos in the first practice of spring.

Rather than taking it as a sign that he needed to pick things up and move forward, Mitchell allegedly pouted and didn’t participate in team functions for the next couple of days.

Mitchell is a fire brand as a player. His tenacity, style and relative production will be missed on the field.

But it’s obvious that Steve Sarkisian and Pete Kwiatkowski didn’t come to town to play around.

They’re asking for buy-in from all players at all times. It’s clear that Mitchell wasn’t bought in all of the time.

We’ll be watching to see if talented Houston sophomore David Gbenda takes command of the position with Mitchell’s departure.

He had a great story of coming up through adversity, but he's suuuuch a tool.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Burton

Hide contents

Reading this shit made me reflect on why Mitchell pissed me off so bad.  Then I remembered a 2 play sequence against OK State where he was absolute horseshit 

Technique: terrible

Effort: non-existent 

I saw this live and couldn't believe we had someone on the roster that cared this little about playing football for The University of Texas, let alone on the field.  When he continued to get playing time after this (and plenty of other examples) I couldn't believe we had coached that would tolerate this garbage.  It is literally impossible to play worse than this. Don't fucking tell me this is a fire brand or that we will miss this bitch-ass one fucking bit

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Rage+1 1

17 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Is he going to have to sit out the first half of his first game wherever he winds up?

The first half of the first game and probably several others later on. 

Edited by Lhorn

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

I have to admit, that’s pretty cool. A player that’s bad at life paired with a school that’s bad at life.

Juwanna play for the Vols?

Couldn’t be any further from the truth...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/QTP_161121ButchJonesChampionshipOfLife/butch-jones-says-seniors-won-championship-life

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

https://theathletic.com/2572087/2021/05/07/juwan-mitchells-road-to-rocky-top-why-the-versatile-texas-linebacker-transfer-chose-tennessee/

Juwan Mitchell’s road to Rocky Top: Why the versatile Texas linebacker transfer chose Tennessee

Spoiler

Juwan Mitchell knows change. The incoming Tennessee linebacker transfer from Texas has lived it in each of the past three years.

When his junior college career was finished, he signed with Texas. In Year 1, he was a linebacker in Todd Orlando’s 3-4 defense. Until Orlando was fired. Then Mitchell learned a 4-2-5 defense under new Longhorns defensive coordinator Chris Ash, leading Texas in tackles in their first year in the system. After the season, head coach Tom Herman was fired and Steve Sarkisian took over, bringing in Jeff Choate to coordinate the defense and coach the inside linebackers.

It was a “third set of strangers coming into the building,” Mitchell said.

Mitchell entered the transfer portal this offseason, and he’s found a new place to embrace his newest wholesale change: Tennessee in new defensive coordinator Tim Banks’ attacking, multiple-front scheme. Mitchell announced Monday that he plans to join the Vols after a weekend visit for the spring game. He was relatively certain he’d be a Vol before he arrived, but the visit sealed his decision.

A new home, a new scheme and a new start.

“It wasn’t the best thing having a staff fired every year. But I think I showed people that I can adapt to any scheme,” Mitchell said. “They say clean slate every time a new staff comes in, and I believed I showed each staff I’m one that they can count on to start and things like that. So that really meant a lot to me. I learned a lot from each staff. Some people have the same staff for four years, and they only learn that system and that’s all they know. I feel like I’m very versatile now, and I just feel like I know more about the game by learning from a bunch of different people.”

His versatility is nothing new. As he grew from a pee-wee standout into a Division I prospect, Mitchell played running back, quarterback and fullback. He didn’t play linebacker until he was a sophomore in high school and his body matured into a 220-pound frame. He pleaded with his high school coach to move him to linebacker. He stuck there.

“Ever since then, every single season I got better,” Mitchell said.

And now he’s 6-foot-1 and 230 pounds, a frame he used to make 62 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss and a fumble recovery for the Longhorns last season.

Mitchell always wanted to be different. He grew up in Newark, N.J., and caught the train to school every day, a 45-minute commute. His oldest brother was a Giants fan. His mom: Ravens, because she liked the color purple. Mitchell decided to become an Eagles fan.

When he entered the transfer portal, Mitchell said he got 30 offers. He said he didn’t want to go to a team like Alabama and be a role player.

“It’s not gonna be as important to me,” he said.

He wanted somewhere he was needed, a place where he could be an integral part of a defense. He wanted the perfect fit. At Tennessee, he hopes he’s found it. Mitchell saw the dearth of bodies at linebacker, the void in the depth chart left behind when Quavaris Crouch and Henry To’o To’o entered the transfer portal.

After leaving Texas and entering the transfer portal himself in late March, he spent time in New Orleans working with Duke Riley, Dante Jackson, Trai Turner and other LSU alumni who went on to NFL careers. They’d work out and watch film, giving Mitchell pointers and pounding home the point that speed and flexibility were integral to sticking around at the next level.

“Dante was actually teaching me some coverage things and stuff like that,” Mitchell said. “He’d be studying everybody. He picks up clues. There’s a lot of different clues he taught me to pick up on from the linemen and things like that.”

On the final weekend of April, he made his way to Knoxville on a rainy Saturday to see the spring game. He spent time with another new incoming Vol: Michigan transfer quarterback Joe Milton, who will compete for the starting job in preseason camp. After the game, he spent some time with current Vols and former players who were in town, such as Josh Dobbs and Alvin Kamara, who went from junior college to Rocky Top.

“Going juco, you got to be strong, you got to be internally motivated,” Mitchell said. “It’s not so much external motivation. There’s days no coaches are coming to practice. There’s days you’re not going to eat. You might eat one meal and you gotta go to practice. You got to be really dedicated. I really had to find myself, find my game, stick to it. You got to really know who you are, juco. When I got to Texas, yeah, it was bigger, but it was like I already knew who I was. While nobody else knew who I was. So it was easier to navigate. It was just like, there’s 100,000 people looking at me now, but I’ve been this person. That’s kind of the mindset I kept. It helped me. I try not to compare to others, but I always knew I was different.”

Mitchell has two years of eligibility remaining. He’s hoping a standout year at Tennessee could mean hearing his name called in the draft this time next year. He’ll study physical culture and sport at Tennessee, the same thing he majored in at Texas. Whenever his football career ends, he’s eyeing a job as an agent.

“I just feel like I’ve been through so much in my life I can, like, help somebody because it’s not always gonna be pretty,” Mitchell said. “I could be there for people when in doubt when they’re down, too.”

But for now, Mitchell is up. He has his fresh start. And he sees himself as the best linebacker in the transfer portal.

“If it ain’t me, it ain’t the best,” he said.

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

When his junior college career was finished, he signed with Texas. In Year 1, he was a linebacker in Todd Orlando’s 3-4 defense. Until Orlando was fired. Then Mitchell learned a 4-2-5 defense under new Longhorns defensive coordinator Chris Ash, leading Texas in tackles in their first year in the system. After the season, head coach Tom Herman was fired and Steve Sarkisian took over, bringing in Jeff Choate to coordinate the defense and coach the inside linebackers.

It was a “third set of strangers coming into the building,” Mitchell said.

Maybe somebody can explain how going to Tennessee he will not have a new set of strangers.

I'll hang up and listen. 

For a Program like Tennessee undergoing turmoil and departure of quality players Juwan must feel like finding $100 bill on the sidewalk. Guy has put up decent numbers.  Obviously what shows up on the field is a let down, not to mention off the field issues.  It should give someone pause that a program that has been deficient at LB for years wasn’t trying very hard to keep him in the fold.  Good luck to him. I honestly wish him well.  

51 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Steve Sarkisian took over, bringing in Jeff Choate to coordinate the defense and coach the inside linebackers.

I know Choate is a co-DC but I feel this is really overselling his role.

• 3 months later...

Coached by Brian Jean Mary at Tenn.  Will there by any fights ?  Excerpts:

Mitchell, who led Texas in tackles last season before transferring to Tennessee, praised his new conference and congratulated the Longhorns on their future move to the SEC on Thursday.

“I’m proud of them. They should (want to join the SEC),” Mitchell said. “They want to come over here just like I do.

“I pretty much look at the SEC as the Big 12 and Big Ten combined.”

With the Sept. 2 opener against Bowling Green approaching, Mitchell has made a good first impression. That could indicate his potential impact or the low expectations of the otherwise inexperienced linebackers unit, or both.

“You can just tell from his demeanor as he walks around the building what kind of guy he is,” junior linebacker Roman Harrison said. “He’s a dog. I love the way he plays. He plays fast, aggressive, smart. He’s going to be really fun to see on Saturdays.

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/2021/08/19/juwan-mitchell-tennessee-football-linebacker-transfer-texas-sec-big-12/8118158002/

22 minutes ago, torre said:

Coached by Brian Jean Mary at Tenn.  Will there by any fights ?  Excerpts:

Mitchell, who led Texas in tackles last season before transferring to Tennessee, praised his new conference and congratulated the Longhorns on their future move to the SEC on Thursday.

“I’m proud of them. They should (want to join the SEC),” Mitchell said. “They want to come over here just like I do.

“I pretty much look at the SEC as the Big 12 and Big Ten combined.”

With the Sept. 2 opener against Bowling Green approaching, Mitchell has made a good first impression. That could indicate his potential impact or the low expectations of the otherwise inexperienced linebackers unit, or both.

“You can just tell from his demeanor as he walks around the building what kind of guy he is,” junior linebacker Roman Harrison said. “He’s a dog. I love the way he plays. He plays fast, aggressive, smart. He’s going to be really fun to see on Saturdays.

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/2021/08/19/juwan-mitchell-tennessee-football-linebacker-transfer-texas-sec-big-12/8118158002/

If Juwan stops getting in his own way he could be a solid starter for them. But it's a huge if.

1 hour ago, torre said:

“He’s a dog. I love the way he plays. He plays fast, aggressive, smart. He’s going to be really fun to see on Saturdays.

watching arrested development GIF

Edited by Dennis Taylor