Mizzou athletics struggling financially

texifornia

Guess the SEC doesn't fix everything, even when you do actually have a couple of divisional titles.

As an ex-swimmer, this makes me nervous - this is the kind of financial environment that tends to threaten men's Olympic sports teams since they carry a lot of scholarships but don't help for Title IX.

46 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

But, Mizzery won two more division titles than aggy has! They is SEC Least ready!

aggy lost to better teams this year so that point is moo. they also have a championship by proxy with jimbo, are paying $75million for mediocrity and SEC! stupid sip you were Texas, we are now </looch>.

• Haha 1

Unpopular opinion: it’s absurd colleges give out scholarships to anything other than football and men’s basketball. No other sport generates enough interest (at the college level at least) to warrant scholarships. Cut the scholarships to other sports, trim down the coaching staffs, save a bunch of money. “But what about the future soccer/swimming/tennis/golf etc. athletes”... we warn kids all the time not to pick a dumb major. We should also start warning them not to pick a dumb sport.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

conferences should only exist for football and men's basketball. all other sports should be in a regional conference. that would drastically cut back on travel expenses. 

Well that used to be the case until the FBS conferences engorged themselves through football TV money. It makes a lot of sense.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

conferences should only exist for football and men's basketball. all other sports should be in a regional conference. that would drastically cut back on travel expenses. 

This is absolutely correct. Well I actually wish conferences were regional for everything, but that's obviously never gonna happen in the big sports.

But it's absolutely stupid that West Virginia's women's tennis team has to fly to Austin for a conference match.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is absolutely correct. Well I actually wish conferences were regional for everything, but that's obviously never gonna happen in the big sports.

But it's absolutely stupid that West Virginia's women's tennis team has to fly to Austin for a conference match.

All those sports become much more interesting playing regional rivalries. 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Unpopular opinion: it’s absurd colleges give out scholarships to anything other than football and men’s basketball. No other sport generates enough interest (at the college level at least) to warrant scholarships. Cut the scholarships to other sports, trim down the coaching staffs, save a bunch of money. “But what about the future soccer/swimming/tennis/golf etc. athletes”... we warn kids all the time not to pick a dumb major. We should also start warning them not to pick a dumb sport.

I believe 80% of college athletic departments are in the red and it's not because of women's swimming. 

I think Stanford's athletic scholarships are endowed for life, I'd like to see Texas move in that direction.

• Like 1

It's not about scholarships, that's soft $. It's a minimal cost for a kid to sit in an empty classroom chair. My niece was an Iowa hs golf champ and plays naia or some such shit on scholarship. There are minor sports throughout the midwest offering $.  My brother said that the college sees the $ that the athletes spend on peripherals so the scholarship is not a huge loss.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

And yet more people play golf/tennis/soccer/and swim in their 30s, 40s, and 50s than play footballz.  Maybe you didn't think about that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

I believe 80% of college athletic departments are in the red and it's not because of women's swimming. 

I think Stanford's athletic scholarships are endowed for life, I'd like to see Texas move in that direction.

Harvard has the biggest athletic program in the country in terms of number of programs. With rich alums you can do anything.

Plus at the Ivies, the athletic alums tend to give more and stay "stickier" than the non-athletes. It's a different vibe than most conferences, but the idea of that school spirit permeates through any school.

7 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

And yet more people play golf/tennis/soccer/and swim in their 30s, 40s, and 50s than play footballz.  Maybe you didn't think about that.

Better chance your doctor was a swimmer than fb or bb player. Apologies to UT qb who beat ou all 4 years and is a doc. 

Edited by Nolacycling

8 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Why doesn't the B10 want them? AAU?

At the time, the Big 10 was expanding by 1 team to get to a dozen.  They took Nebraska, and left Mizzou hanging. So, they took the SEC offer.....and then, the Big 10 expanded by two more (Rutgers lol).  

Honestly, had Mizzou kept their powder dry, they probably would have ended up in the Big 10.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Why doesn't the B10 want them? AAU?

I have ZERO to support this and it is just a personal theory and most people think there is not a chance it would be true

but when you read "The Big 10 Decision" or what ever the Omaha news paper article was interviewing NU chancellor perlman about going to the Big 10 he states that NU was tipped off at a major ADs conference about conference expansion and Nebraska not being on the radar for ANY conference at all and that is what set in motion the Nebraska chancellor talking to the Big 10

I believe that it was Missouri that let that leak get out (not that Missouri told NU, but that MU told someone and that someone let it get back to NU)

I think the Big 10 was so pissed off about that and what it did to their long term plans to talk with UNC, Duke, NC State, GaTech, Virginia,  and others from the ACC that the Big 10 decided to say fuck MU and let them rot

the Big 10 had always been very quiet about their expansion and let things take a LONG TIME and much longer than people generally thought it should take and that was always said to be because they wanted to explore all options and make sure they got exactly who they wanted....MU had been crawling around under the Big 10 conference table blowing people for years and I think when they finally got the nod that the Big 10 was expanding, but it would take a bit MU could not resist running out there and letting a few people know (maybe even as few as one or two) and well one of them had an affinity for NU and did not want to see them get left out in the cold even if it meant that MU was left out in the cold by the Big 10

along with that it is well known that the Big 10 wanted some of the AAU members from the ACC, but the ACC teams were just not the type to make a quick jump (well other than Maryland) and so the Big 10 was slow rolling things and getting the TV money in place and talking about buy ins and other money and when the shit broke well the ACC teams panicked and all decided to play it safe and stay home.....and really one can't possibly believe that when it was all said and done the Big 10 wanted to end up with NU (being booted from the AAU at the same time which was known to be an issue for over a decade so it was no surprise to any of the Big 10 members) and Rutgers and Maryland

• Like 2

one other thing also

I think one of the first questions the Big 10 ask perlman when talks got serious was "who was it that tipped you off" and from there it was pretty much a given that MU was the source of the leak

NU never let on who told them, but perlman made it very clear that NU was pretty much 100% clueless that any expansion was happening and remember this was over a decade ago and NU at the time was still looked as a football power having a couple of down years and with an abundance of connections at all levels of college athletics.....and yet their chancellor admitted they were 100% clueless about expansion much less that they were clueless (and he admitted being clueless) no one was talking about them for expansion at all

and he was admitting this in a long interview in the largest news paper in the state.....so the Big 10 had been keeping things under tight wraps even if people wanted to think they would move sooner or later

• Like 2

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

Guess the SEC doesn't fix everything, even when you do actually have a couple of divisional titles.

As an ex-swimmer, this makes me nervous - this is the kind of financial environment that tends to threaten men's Olympic sports teams since they carry a lot of scholarships but don't help for Title IX.

9BCF37ED-A51F-4852-8D53-0507321BB4C8.gif

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

That’s cool. Let me know when people fill stadiums by the tens of thousands to watch non-professionals play those sports.

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That’s cool. Let me know when people fill stadiums by the tens of thousands to watch non-professionals play those sports.

It's not about ticket sales, it's about whether those sports justify their inclusion through alumni giving and other metrics.

OUsux school is actually near or in bankruptcy. Louisiana is broke , broke, broke and the governor uses the threat of shutting down LSU and in turn the football program as leverage to get concessions from the state senate. 

Neither of these programs are going anywhere, even if alums have to dip deep into their own pockets to make it happen. 

I dont see Mizzo having that deep a pockets

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Didnt their enrollment start declining after the racial stuff 4 or 5 years ago? I bet that's a bigger deal than sec money. No CR, just a question.

their enrollment is down about 5,000 students (14%) from the high  I had looked that up for the barry odem fired thread

so from about 35,000 students down to about 30,000

that of course hits harder than just 14% because they did not just rush out and cut a bunch of administrative overhead (bloat) so those cuts hit the classroom

also they were losing a lot of freshman enrollment and that hit their dorms hard too

they did have their first increase in enrollment in fall of 2019 since 2015, but the article said a lot of that was from an agreement with a community college for transfers.....so that still does not help the dorms as much as true freshman would and it does not help with stuffing students into cheap to run 200+ student freshman classes

it looks like they are stabilizing, but it will take a while to start to grow....more so when you consider they are still probably graduating some people from those larger freshman classes before all the BS and with the economy being good that is less grad students (general grad student trend)

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

It's not about scholarships, that's soft $. It's a minimal cost for a kid to sit in an empty classroom chair. My niece was an Iowa hs golf champ and plays naia or some such shit on scholarship. There are minor sports throughout the midwest offering $.  My brother said that the college sees the $ that the athletes spend on peripherals so the scholarship is not a huge loss.

This. Adding scholarships does not increase fixed expenses. If they have to hire more professors or build new dorms or classrooms, yes, but that isn’t usually the case. Coaches, support staff, food, and travel all increase, but a lot of the losses are only on paper. I know of schools - NAIA mostly - that require their athletes to live on campus all four years. Filling otherwise empty dorm rooms and squeezing those athletes into existing classes equals their partial scholarship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

I have ZERO to support this and it is just a personal theory and most people think there is not a chance it would be true

but when you read "The Big 10 Decision" or what ever the Omaha news paper article was interviewing NU chancellor perlman about going to the Big 10 he states that NU was tipped off at a major ADs conference about conference expansion and Nebraska not being on the radar for ANY conference at all and that is what set in motion the Nebraska chancellor talking to the Big 10

I believe that it was Missouri that let that leak get out (not that Missouri told NU, but that MU told someone and that someone let it get back to NU)

I think the Big 10 was so pissed off about that and what it did to their long term plans to talk with UNC, Duke, NC State, GaTech, Virginia,  and others from the ACC that the Big 10 decided to say fuck MU and let them rot

the Big 10 had always been very quiet about their expansion and let things take a LONG TIME and much longer than people generally thought it should take and that was always said to be because they wanted to explore all options and make sure they got exactly who they wanted....MU had been crawling around under the Big 10 conference table blowing people for years and I think when they finally got the nod that the Big 10 was expanding, but it would take a bit MU could not resist running out there and letting a few people know (maybe even as few as one or two) and well one of them had an affinity for NU and did not want to see them get left out in the cold even if it meant that MU was left out in the cold by the Big 10

along with that it is well known that the Big 10 wanted some of the AAU members from the ACC, but the ACC teams were just not the type to make a quick jump (well other than Maryland) and so the Big 10 was slow rolling things and getting the TV money in place and talking about buy ins and other money and when the shit broke well the ACC teams panicked and all decided to play it safe and stay home.....and really one can't possibly believe that when it was all said and done the Big 10 wanted to end up with NU (being booted from the AAU at the same time which was known to be an issue for over a decade so it was no surprise to any of the Big 10 members) and Rutgers and Maryland

I don’t recall The Big 10 Decision article saying anything about MU blowing their chance by leaking the B1G’s plans. I do recall it tipping off NU, but I thought by then MU was not a serious candidate. I was a good article, nonetheless.  

Edited by ImissWallyPryor