Texas @ TCU 7:00 PM tonight on ESPN plus

Camelback80

Except in football, and probably baseball.  And most other sports.  Because we're Texas and we don't have resources.  

Holy shit though, congrats to Smart and the team.  We may finish out of the bottom position yet.  

I swear there's like an invisible magnetic field that strikes anytime we play good basketball for more than 3 or 4 minutes in a row. Guys inexplicably stumble to the ground, throw the ball 10 rows out of bounds, or dribble off their foot anytime we threaten to play well for more than 4 continuous minutes. We're absolutely incapable of good play that extends beyond that 4 minute threshold. Luckily for us TCU couldn't take advantage of that eletro magnetic shock that seemingly strikes in 4 minute intervals on the rare occasions that we get some things going on the court.  

2 hours ago, rivin said:

Well, way to not blow it despite trying to blow it

You sound like the parent of a promiscuous teen. 

AN ASIDE: I had the time, money, and forethought to drive over to Fort Worth to see the stock show and then head over to the TCU campus to see this game tonight. I just didn’t have the desire. 

I don’t think that I can get excited about this team as long as Shaka is the coach. I don’t want to root against the kids, but I am saddened each new day that Shaka is still the coach. 

11 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Texas wins  62-61. first time Shaka beats TCU in Ft Worth. that is pathetic. 

now back to your regularly scheduled 3 point shooting.

Yeah, we have a couple games a year where we win strictly because we’re hot from 3. When you take as many 3s as us, even if your team sucks at 3s like us, you’re bound to have a couple good nights that win you games. I’m sure we’ll regress back to the mean by our next game and it will be business as usual. 

There was period of 3-6 mins or so in the 2nd half when we made a run, worked the ball inside, and showed energy and movement on offense.  It was when Williams, Kai/Hamm/Sims, Coleman and Ramey were on the floor.  The team was actually playing recognizably decent offense during that stint and we jumped to 10 points ahead.  We even full court pressed some and got at least two turnovers and a couple fast break baskets.

For reasons unknown, Shaka then chose to pull Williams and the 2nd big and go 4 guards for the rest of the game and go with with AJ and Febres as the forwards.  TCU had their way on the boards and inside to tie the game.  AJ and Febres were pathetic on defense.   Had it not been for two VERY long 3-pointers as the shot clock was expiring by Febres (which were prayers that were answered despite shitty, standing around offense) this game would've been a loss.  The last play we ran (ending in a shot clock violation) was horrific, as was the fact that we didn't at least do offense/defense subbing at the end to get some better defenders than AJ and Febres in the game.

I believe our best line-up is Coleman, Ramey, Williams, Hepa/Kai/Hamm, and Sims.  AJ and Febres can bring a spark, but neither are guys you want defending when the game is one the line and they tend to stagnate the offense when they are on the court for more than a couple minutes at a time.  Plugging AJ or Febres into the traditional PF spot on defense is laughable.

Williams needs lots of minutes from here out to get acclimated.  I was over the Febres as bell-cow experiment last year.  Even when he hits 5 threes, he commonly allows at least that many points due to soft defense, fouls, and put-backs by the guy he's supposed to be boxing out.  He's a 10-minute a game guy who you might allow 15-20 mins if he is playing really well.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

There was period of 3-6 mins or so in the 2nd half when we made a run, worked the ball inside, and showed energy and movement on offense.  It was when Williams, Kai/Hamm/Sims, Coleman and Ramey were on the floor.  The team was actually playing recognizably decent offense during that stint and we jumped to 10 points ahead.  We even full court pressed some and got at least two turnovers and a couple fast break baskets.

For reasons unknown, Shaka then chose to pull Williams and the 2nd big and go 4 guards for the rest of the game and go with with AJ and Febres as the forwards.  TCU had their way on the boards and inside to tie the game.  AJ and Febres were pathetic on defense.   Had it not been for two VERY long 3-pointers as the shot clock was expiring by Febres (which were prayers that were answered despite shitty, standing around offense) this game would've been a loss.  The last play we ran (ending in a shot clock violation) was horrific, as was the fact that we didn't at least do offense/defense subbing at the end to get some better defenders than AJ and Febres in the game.

I believe our best line-up is Coleman, Ramey, Williams, Hepa/Kai/Hamm, and Sims.  AJ and Febres can bring a spark, but neither are guys you want defending when the game is one the line and they tend to stagnate the offense when they are on the court for more than a couple minutes at a time.  Plugging AJ or Febres into the traditional PF spot on defense is laughable.

Williams needs lots of minutes from here out to get acclimated.  I was over the Febres as bell-cow experiment last year.  Even when he hits 5 threes, he commonly allows at least that many points due to soft defense, fouls, and put-backs by the guy he's supposed to be boxing out.  He's a 10-minute a game guy who you might allow 15-20 mins if he is playing really well.

1000% agree. Teams was using length and athleticism to play inside out and be disruptive on D. The second half was Shaka in a nutshell. Something new was working, so he pulls the plug and goes with his tried and true. He’s never going to get it anywhere. He has no idea what he is looking at. 

Texas's last 8 points came on unlikely prayers being answered--two miraculous 3s by Febres as the shot clock expired that sandwiched an extremely difficult baseline floater from Ramey.

Otherwise, the Longhorns go scoreless over the final, what?, 5+ minutes?

Edited by Braff Zacklin

7 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Texas's last 8 points came on unlikely prayers being answered--two miraculous 3s by Febres as the shot clock expired that sandwiched an extremely difficult baseline floater from Ramey.

Otherwise, the Longhorns go scoreless over the final, what?, 5+ minutes?

It was the most blind squirrel-nut win ever. Probably why Dixon didn't even look at Shaka when they shook hands. He was so fucking bitter.

10 hours ago, dcar00 said:

The sad fact is Febres is really the only guy that potentially can get hot.  maybe Coleman.  The rest are pretty consistently awful.  That is why Shaka plays Febres so much. Its all a gamble because he has no other plan.

Hepa and Ramey are shooting 44 and 42% respectively from 3 during conference play. Febres is shooting 38% in conference play after going 5-7 on Wednesday. I agree on needing to limit Febres playing time to 20 minutes a game unless he gets hot, but the problem with Donovan Williams is he has too many mental lapses on the defensive end. Now had he been getting more in game reps earlier in the season those mental lapses would probably less of an issue now, but it's a pretty big problem as it stands. Half of the TCU big's points came as a result of Williams failing to stick with him after Sims hard hedged on the ball handler. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

9 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Hepa and Ramey are shooting 44 and 42% respectively from 3 during conference play. Febres is shooting 38% in conference play after going 5-7 on Wednesday. I agree on needing to limit Febres playing time to 20 minutes a game unless he gets hot, but the problem with Donovan Williams is he has too many mental lapses on the defensive end. Now had he been getting more in game reps earlier in the season those mental lapses would probably less of an issue now, but it's a pretty big problem as it stands. Half of the TCU big's points came as a result of Williams failing to stick with him after Sims hard hedged on the ball handler. 

Williams has no business defending a big.  Unfortunately, Shaka is in love with the 4 small lineup that has Febres and Williams guarding bigs.  Every coach we have played against has run plays to pull Sims outside the paint and punished the likes of Febres, AJ, and Williams for it.  It hasn't been so bad when Hamm, Hepa or Kai have been available to help.  Coleman and Ramey at least seem to make a full effort to fight over screens.  Febres and AJ pull up or go into an exaggerated soccer-flop/rag doll animation when they feel contact and leave Sims with no choice but to hedge hard and stick with their man much longer than he should have to.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VinyVango said:

Williams has no business defending a big.  Unfortunately, Shaka is in love with the 4 small lineup that has Febres and Williams guarding bigs.  Every coach we have played against has run plays to pull Sims outside the paint and punished the likes of Febres, AJ, and Williams for it.  It hasn't been so bad when Hamm, Hepa or Kai have been available to help.  Coleman and Ramey at least seem to make a full effort to fight over screens.  Febres and AJ pull up or go into an exaggerated soccer-flop/rag doll animation when they feel contact and leave Sims with no choice but to hedge hard and stick with their man much longer than he should have to.

I wasn't describing a situation with a 4 guard lineup.  I'm specifically talking about help side defense in pick n roll situations.  When your big hedges aggressively against a ball screen he has to leave his man to do so.  Therefore it's incumbent on your wings (preferably your weak side wing defender) to sink into the lane for the expressed purpose of dissuading the ball handler from making an easy ass pass to his big rolling into the lane and giving his big enough time to fall off the ball handler and return to his man.  Time after time Williams failed to do that (Febres was guilty of this a couple of times as well). During those situations we gave up easy dunks and layups to TCU's big.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

18 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

good point and yeah, forgot that we were hot from 3 against OSU and KSU also.   when we play teams that are the lower end of the conference and not as long on the perimeter we can get shots off.  

we will see if they can do it against any of the better teams.  I thought he might end up dead last in conf but they could end up 5th or 6th if they can get to 8 wins. 

On 1/30/2020 at 12:20 PM, dcar00 said:

The sad fact is Febres is really the only guy that potentially can get hot.  maybe Coleman.  The rest are pretty consistently awful.  That is why Shaka plays Febres so much. Its all a gamble because he has no other plan.

What a moronic statement. Andrew Jones is shooting 39% from 3 on 38 made on the season. FAR from "consistently awful." Fucking idiot. Now is someone going to start an ISU game thread or do I have to do it again?

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Camelback80 said:

What a moronic statement. Andrew Jones is shooting 39% from 3 on 38 made on the season. FAR from "consistently awful." Fucking idiot. Now is someone going to start an ISU game thread or do I have to do it again?

maybe you should start a combo ISU game/I told you so thread, you fucking slapdick.  you know shit about basketball.  your bro is getting  fired fuckwad.  shitty coach moose out front should have told you